Start by marking “Emeralds Included (Jana Bibi Adventures #3)” as Want to Read:
Emeralds Included (Jana Bibi Adventures #3)

Emeralds Included (Jana Bibi Adventures #3)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  79 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Feathers fly and cultures clash as the Jolly Grant House prepares to welcome a special delivery from Scotland

In the third installment of the Jana Bibi series, Betsy Woodman takes us back to the Jolly Grant house for the arrival of Jana's son, Jack, from Scotland, and his Hungarian bride-to-be, Katarina Esterhazy. The whole gang is excited to welcome their international vis
Published July 8th 2014 by Henry Holt and Co.

To ask other readers questions about Emeralds Included, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emeralds Included

Jaylia3
May 15, 2014 Jaylia3 rated it it was amazing
When Jana Bibi first moved into the decaying, charmingly eccentric Jolly Grant House Estate she inherited from her grandfather she hired an bagpipe paying Gurkha to chase out the wild monkeys, but she hasn’t done much to fix up the formerly grand Indian hill station home since then. That’s about to change. As the third book of this refreshing series opens Jana learns that her highly traditional son Jack will soon be visiting from Scotland with his Hungarian fiancée and Jana--aka Janet MacPherson ...more
Julie
Sep 29, 2014 Julie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: general-fiction
I so loved this book. I so love this series. The writing is beautiful. The story is sweet. At the end of the second paragraph, I sighed and let the story sweep me away to India in 1962.

Jana Bibi is 60 years old and lives in unique old home in northern India. Her son, Jack, who is her only surviving child, writes from Scotland to tell her that he is engaged and that he is bringing his fiance to meet her. With the arrival of the happy couple approaching rapidly, Jana decides that she needs to get
Jane
Jan 21, 2016 Jane rated it really liked it
Full of gentle humor, a very sweet novel, the third in the series about Janet Laird, aka Jana Bibi, a widowed Scotswoman living in 1962 India. The novel concerns the down-to-earth Jana, her whimsical Indian friends and townspeople of the fictional Hamara Nagar, where Jana lives with her servants and an outspoken parrot, Mr. Ganguly. Mr. G is just as much a character as anyone else. Jana's son, Jack, visits from Scotland with his fiancée. Each chapter is a vignette about Jana, her household, and ...more
Ariel
Aug 28, 2014 Ariel rated it really liked it
have read the previous books in this series and this is my favorite so far. Now that all of the characters have become fully established, I find that I have come to really care about them. In this latest outing Jana Bibi's son brings his fiance to India to meet her, Tilku is having problems at his new school, and Mary has a possible love interest. Of course Mr. Ganguly the parrot makes regular appearances to steal the show. As for Jana Bibi, her big heart does not allow her to say no to anyone's ...more
Leslie
Aug 26, 2014 Leslie rated it liked it
Yet another cute cozy from Woodman. The third in the Jana Bibi series, this entry has even less mystery and more coziness than the other two. Completely domestic, even!

Jana Bibi decides to renovate the Jolly Grant House when she receives the news that her son is coming to visit - and bringing along his fiancee. Love is in the air, it seems, and Jana must decide if she should pursue a romance of her own. In the meantime, her emeralds are safe with a local jeweler (giving her the funds necessary f
Bertha
Apr 18, 2014 Bertha rated it really liked it
From The Back Cover--The characters of the Jolly Grant House are eagerly anticipating the arrival of two visitors from Scotland-Jana's son, Jack, and his bride-to-be. Before their visit Jana is determined to repair the house. The restoration project, in combination with school fees for Tiku have put a strain on Jana financially. To get her through she risks her most prized and valuable possession-the emeralds she got from Ramachandran's Treasure Emporium.

This book was the 3rd installment to the
Bonnie
May 31, 2014 Bonnie added it
I received a free copy of this book from Goodreads.com. The third book in the Jana Bibi series set in India, this is a delightful novel that is very easy to read. In the series, Jana is a fortune teller ably assisted by her very intelligent parrot! Jana's son, Jack, has become engaged, and will be visiting Jana, along with his fiancé, Katarina. Jana decides that her home, Jolly Grant House, needs many repairs before Jack's visit, and that's when the fun begins.
This book is very light reading,
Bebe (Sarah) Brechner
Aug 10, 2014 Bebe (Sarah) Brechner rated it it was amazing
What a delightful story - set in 1962 in the Indian hill country with a charming set of characters including Jana Bibi, a gentle widow of Scottish heritage who tells fortunes with the help of Mr. Ganguly, her garrulous and intelligent parrot, the book fascinates with the quiet but colorful lives of the house and town's inhabitants. Utterly captivating! This is the third of a series, and the first I've read. I will certainly have to pick up the first two now.
Reading Fool
May 16, 2014 Reading Fool rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways, 2014
I received an Advance Reader's Copy of this book.

This is the third installment in the Jana Bibi series, and it is the one I have enjoyed the most. This is a delightful series about Janet (Jana) Laird, a Scotswoman living in 1960s India. Her story continues in Emeralds Included. Her son Jack is getting married and is bringing his fiancee Katarina to India. The usual cast of characters around Jana Bibi's life is here, and the author continues their delightful stories also. An entertaining read, it
Mary Ahlgren
Sep 13, 2014 Mary Ahlgren rated it really liked it
I love going to the mountains of India with Betsy Woodman.
Karen
Aug 27, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
Gentle, funny look at 1962 India home of Jana Bibi and her mix of friends of all nationalities. This third book in the series centers on a visit from her son, Jack and his future wife, Katarina.
Deborah
Sep 10, 2014 Deborah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read all three of the Jana adventures and have loved each one. I received the first two as part of the Goodreads First Reads program. This eagerly anticipated continuation in the series did not disappoint. Gently paced and easy to read, full of the same friendly characters, with new developments in their lives that make the reader want to cheer them on (or cheer them up, as the case may be). Betsy is a great storyteller and I look forward to the next book unfolding.
Jon Rybka-Wachhaus
Jun 05, 2014 Jon Rybka-Wachhaus rated it really liked it
It was a wonderful book. i really enjoyed it. I did not know it was part three of a series 'cause it was so well written that you could read it as a stand alone. Nothing over whelming just a nice enjoyable and fun to read book.
Rickie Hinrichs
May 20, 2014 Rickie Hinrichs rated it it was amazing
Jana lives in India after saving the town from destruction she get word from her native land Scotland her son is coming for a visit. He wants her to meet his fiancée. She's so excited she decides to fix up her home to impress her. Then come the trials with dealing with construction. Then there's Mr. Gangully sometimes very loud and very entertaining. She gives her new daughter in law a very special gift. A very entertaining book great adventure to be sure.
Karen
Jul 03, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
I received this book as a giveaway from goodreads.com. This is my first book from this author. Emeralds Included is the third book of a series but I had no trouble engaging myself in the story line. This is a fun, easy read book and a great companion for a rainy weekend. I would recommend and enjoy the other novels in the series. And I hope there will be more to come from Betsy Woodman.
Debbie
Aug 21, 2014 Debbie rated it really liked it
In no way earth shaking, but for anyone who likes the gentle compassion of McCall Smith. Jana Bibi, a Scot who has lived for years in India, retires to the North of India where she has her circle of friends. In this volume Jana Bibi makes improvements to her house in honor of the visit of her son and his fiancee.
Heidi
Aug 06, 2014 Heidi rated it really liked it
A quick, light, happy-ending book to breeze through on a summer afternoon, filled with vivid Indian/Himilayan imagery. A pleasant visit with the same friendly, colorful characters and a few new ones added for flavor!
Jessi
I read this book based off of the NPR Best Books of 2014 list. I hadn't read the other two books in the series and didn't really feel like I needed to. It was just a calm, lovely book about a woman (Jana Bibi) whose son is coming to India from Scotland and bringing along his Hungarian fiancee. She needs money to not only fix up the house but to send her young protege to boarding school. So... she pawns her emeralds.
I can't think of any comparisons to other books I've read off hand but maybe some
Angela
Apr 16, 2014 Angela rated it really liked it
The third installment in the Jana Bibi series, Emeralds Included, is as much fun as the first two. I loved learning more about Jana's family and delving into her personal relationships and those of her household staff.
Beatrice
Aug 09, 2014 Beatrice rated it liked it
Shelves: india
Entertaining!
Natasha
Jul 10, 2014 Natasha rated it it was amazing
What a lovely quirky book showing the nuances of A Scottish woman living in India. Good thing to read when you have free time.
Susan in NC
Oct 02, 2015 Susan in NC rated it really liked it
Another sweet, charming entry in a delightful series I have grown quite fond of - not a mystery, my usual favorite genre, not romance (although there are a few romantic sub-plots, but nothing heated or passionate), not angsty or edgy enough to qualify as literary fiction; just charming, quirky, lovable characters living in an interesting time and place (a Himalayan hill station in India in 1962). Nothing terribly exciting happens, but I still look forward to catching up with Janet Laird (Jana Bi ...more
Gail Kushner
Apr 05, 2015 Gail Kushner rated it really liked it
This is the third book in the Jana Bibi series and I have enjoyed all of them. The books revolve around a woman living in a small town in India in the 1960s. People in the town have very different cultures and traditions, yet they all manage to get along and enjoy each others' company. I like that.
Sharen
Mar 05, 2015 Sharen rated it really liked it
If you enjoy, Alexander McCall-Smith, think you'll like Betsy Woodman's series and enjoy learning about daily life and culture in India during the 1960s. Engaging characters, gentle humour and a warm understanding of human quirks and foibles make this a charming novel.
Cynthia
Jun 26, 2015 Cynthia rated it really liked it
This was a very interesting book. If you didn't know a little about the conditions of India and how the British has some influence on how the people lived it was quite interesting. A town that was saved from being flooded during into a tourist destination, this is the story of a single Scottish woman who inherited a family how and was trying to get it ready for her son and his future wife to come and she wanted it to look better. She had to pawn her emeralds to get the house ready and the story ...more
Emily Ragsdale
Dec 29, 2014 Emily Ragsdale rated it liked it
Doesn't quite capture the quirky charm of the first in the series.
Jun 26, 2015 Laura rated it liked it
Just fun and relaxing.
Sandra
Oct 23, 2014 Sandra rated it it was amazing
Love love love this series!
Ellen
Oct 24, 2014 Ellen rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Delightful and thoroughly enjoyable like the other two books. Can't wait for book 4 and more adventures with Jana Bibi and her unique adopted family and village friends.
Jenny
May 19, 2016 Jenny rated it really liked it
Shelves: india, series
Such a sweet book (and series) in which not much happens but is a pleasure to read. A perfect "cozy" novel. I hope there will be a fourth.
  • The Smoke is Rising
  • War & Piste
  • The Earthly Gods (Agent of Rome #6)
  • Sagramanda
  • School Ties
  • তিথিডোর
  • Naptime with Theo and Beau
  • The Past As Present: Forging Contemporary Identities Through History
  • Wild Feelings
  • The Breath of Peace (The Hawk and the Dove #7)
  • Soldier and Spice - An Army Wife's Life
  • The Solitude Of Emperors
  • Sejanus (Marcus Corvinus, #4)
  • The Legate's Daughter
  • Mahabhoj
  • A YEAR OF MARVELLOUS WAYS: Exclusive Chapter Sampler
  • Leonidas of Sparta: A Peerless Peer (Leonidas Trilogy, #2)
  • The Virgins
Betsy Woodman spent ten formative years in India and studied in France and Zambia. A graduate of Smith College, she earned a Master’s degree in Anthropology from Brandeis University. She has edited history books and been a frequent book reviewer, and was a writer/editor for Experiencing War, the award-winning radio documentary series for the Library of Congress Veterans History Project. Her intere ...more
More about Betsy Woodman...

Jana Bibi Adventures (3 books)
  • Jana Bibi's Excellent Fortunes
  • Love Potion Number 10 (Jana Bibi Adventures #2)