Start by marking “Tuesday Tucks Me In: The Loyal Bond between a Soldier and his Service Dog” as Want to Read:
Tuesday Tucks Me In: The Loyal Bond between a Soldier and his Service Dog

Tuesday Tucks Me In: The Loyal Bond between a Soldier and his Service Dog

4.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  827 Ratings  ·  198 Reviews
From former U.S. Army Captain and New York Times bestselling author of Until Tuesday, comes what Amazon.com has declared the "Best Nonfiction Children's Book of 2014." As narrated by Tuesday, Tuesday Tucks Me In is a day in the life of this service dog extraordinaire and tail-wagging ambassador for all things positive and uplifting in the world. The book takes us through a ...more
Published May 27th 2014 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Tuesday Tucks Me In, please sign up.

Deborah Darsie All too often there is a lack of understanding that Guide Dogs are not the only type of service or assistance dogs.

There is also a misapprehension…more

There is also a misapprehension that the dogs are always 'on duty', but as is clear in both books, there is off time. Though the dogs are always ready to help even when not vested.

And as Kath said in the first response, there are elements of answers in Luis' first book which is also an amazing read. (less)

Carmen
Dec 14, 2015 Carmen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kids; Parents
This is the true story of Luis Carlos Montalván and his service dog, Tuesday. Luis Carlos has PTSD, traumatic brain injury, and chronic pain. This book is great because 1.) it's funny, 2.) it's cute, and 3.) it teaches children about service dogs.

The book walks the child through Luis Carlos's day with Tuesday. First, Tuesday wakes Luis Carlos up. He brings him the dog bowl, the shoes, the socks and reminds Luis Carlos to take his medicine.

Luis is a disabled veteran. He went to war, and he came
Dan Dion
Feb 24, 2015 Dan Dion rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: photography
How could I not love this book? I took all the photos! And Tuesday is an amazing dog, while Luis is inspiring. Great to read to preschoolers and kinders, and perfect for early readers.
Marna Ginsberg
Jun 06, 2014 Marna Ginsberg rated it it was amazing
Our favorite service dog team is back in a delightful, well-written, and easy to understand new children's book. Former U.S. Army Captain Luis Carlos Montalván and his extraordinary Golden Retriever service dog named Tuesday, whom we first were introduced to in the adult best seller, "Until Tuesday: A Wounded Warrior and the Golden Retriever Who Saved Him," return to tell us about one day in their life together. What a full and fun day it is! This time it's Tuesday telling the story from his poi ...more
Amy Rae
Oct 15, 2015 Amy Rae rated it it was amazing
What better way to introduce the concept of service dogs to children than from a book from the dog's perspective? Tuesday Tucks Me In is a great non-fiction title that provides the reader with well-written text and quality information about how service dogs help veterans every day, all nested within a fun narrative: a day in the life of Tuesday and Luis.

I appreciate that the story provides an opportunity to talk about the effects war can have on a person and the responsibility we as a nation hav
Shannon
May 28, 2014 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Tuesday Tucks Me In is pure love right from the start with the gorgeous photo of Tuesday on the front cover! I read about Tuesday and Luis in Until Tuesday and now as a children's book their amazing story is brought to life through the eyes of Tuesday. In it children will be invited into a day in their life together. Tuesday has such an expressive and enthusiastic way of telling his story that kids will no doubt be captivated. And for big kids like myself too! What's especially great to me about ...more
Ann
Mar 22, 2015 Ann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
This book is a beautifully done (and badly needed) children's
book about the day of a disabled vet and his golden retriever service dog -- from the viewpoint of the dog. Tuesday goes everywhere with Luis (even the bathroom stall which has a picture of Tuesday under the stall door that children will love).

Some of the words and concepts will need explanation for the very young, but nothing is said in a scary way. This simply describes how soldiers can still hurt, have nightmares and flashbacks, an
Christi Dorsey
May 30, 2014 Christi Dorsey rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Touching, heartfelt and informative....exactly what I expected. With beautiful color photo's and an easy to understand story line, you will be moved and changed by this book. I was changed by the previous book, "Until Tuesday." I encourage everyone, young and older to read it and to share it and its message with all of your friends and family. It is worthy of donating a copy to your local school and local city library. Invite Luis and Tuesday to an event and let them show you in person the bond ...more
Kirsten
This is a superb children's book that handles the concepts of PTSD and of service dogs exceptionally well. The language used is age-appropriate, but doesn't talk down to kids at all; by using the perspective of Luis's service dog, the story describes the physical and psychological effects of war in a matter-of-fact and grounded way. The photos are beautiful and vibrant as well. There is just so much to love about this book. Definitely a worthy addition to any library or classroom collection.
Mary Mullane
May 31, 2014 Mary Mullane rated it it was amazing
A very sweet book complete with color photos showing Luis and Tuesday from the time they wake up until the end of their day. This is a great book to introduce kids (and adults) to the important role service dogs play in our lives--especially a veteran living with PTSD. Thank you, Luis and Tuesday, for giving us this glimpse into your lives!
Jan
Jul 27, 2014 Jan rated it it was amazing
I applaud your decision to do a children's book that teaches our young about service dogs, the help and assistance they provide and what service dogs mean to their challenged owners. Understanding diversity is paramount in our society and this beautiful book will be instrumental in aiding that understanding at an early age.
Julie
Aug 21, 2015 Julie rated it it was amazing
My whole family loved this story about the bond between Tuesday and the author, the Iraq veteran he serves, who is a writer and an advocate for veterans and for all people with disabilities. The photographs of Luis and Tuesday going through their daily routines are very sweet, yet children who read the book will learn about the struggles of wounded vets, including nightmares, PTSD, fear of crowds and loud noises, and the stress, anger, and pain that they often feel. Man's best friend indeed - th ...more
Pamela
Jun 02, 2014 Pamela rated it it was amazing
Great read not just for children but adults as well. Short and sweet; so very sweet. Beautiful photos of Luis and his trained service dog Tuesday. Informative in a gentle way about Luis's struggle with PTSD and TBI. I must confess, Luis story and his relationship with Tuesday made me cry. Kudos to photographer Dan Dion for capturing those daily moments between Luis and Tuesday that will pull at your heartstrings! The note from Luis on the last two pages was interesting as he described the traini ...more
babyhippoface
This is an excellent book about the life of a soldier with post traumatic stress disorder and a traumatic brain injury and how his service dog helps him in his everyday life. Any school that has a significant military population needs this book in the collection.
Nathalie S
May 04, 2015 Nathalie S rated it it was amazing
This is the sweetest book I've read in a while. This is told from the point of view of Tuesday the service dog. He describes how he helps former Captain Luis Montalvan get through the day. Luis is a decorated veteran who suffers from PTSD and traumatic brain injury following two tours of duty. Suffering tremendous pain, sleeping difficulty, nightmares, flashbacks, anger and shame about his condition, Luis withdrew from his friends, family and stopped leaving his apartment. Tuesday saved his life ...more
Mark Oldstrom
Jun 05, 2014 Mark Oldstrom rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
This book tells the story of the relationship between Tuesday, a service dog, and Luis, a wounded Army veteran, as they live one day together. A nurturing relationship, an intimate relationship is, to be honest, rare. Anyone, who has worked hard and long to build such a relationship, treasures it. Anyone, who has risked themself on many on many occasions and in many ways to build such a relationship, feeds that relationship. Any of us, who watches such a relationship, learns from it. Tuesday and ...more
Nick
Jul 02, 2014 Nick rated it it was amazing
I rarely give a book five stars. To me, that requires something special, and this book qualifies.
The book tells several important stories. It teaches about the life of a service dog, but also an important story about how disabilities may not be visible and obvious.
The photos by Dan Dion were absolutely wonderful, from the close-up photo of what it's like to wake up with a dog's face close to yours, to the joyful and playful aspects of the "off-duty" dog, the photos are an essential part of telli
Maureen P.
Jun 25, 2014 Maureen P. rated it it was amazing
June is National PTSD Awareness Month. By reading "Tuesday Tucks Me In," children are able to gently learn about PTSD and the challenges that Luis faces. Written from Tuesday's perspective, the beautiful photographs chronicle Tuesday's and Luis' day-to-day activities, and shows how Tuesday encourages and helps Luis to live a fulfilling & joyous life. Luis returns the favor by taking such good care of his constant companion. It's easy for children to understand that the strong bond between th ...more
Kifflie
Nov 22, 2014 Kifflie rated it it was amazing
This book is hard to resist, starting right with the front cover photo of Tuesday the golden retriever. Goldens are one of my favorite breeds, and this dog is so smart and so adorable. And kudos to disabled vet Luis Carlos Montalvan, who lets the reader right into his life, with all of its joys, pains, and difficulties.

What better way to teach youngsters about caring for those with disabilities, and our canine friends, at the same time?

The photos by Dan Dion are masterfully done.

Give this to an
Pam
Nov 15, 2014 Pam rated it it was amazing
I love this book, and my upper elementary school students do, too! "Tuesday Tucks Me In" is a very well-told tale that is an age-appropriate companion book for "Until Tuesday." It conveys important messages about service dogs, their importance to those they assist, and that not all wounds caused by war are visible. Written from Tuesday's point of view, this book informs and entertains at the same time. This book needs to be available to every child in all school libraries and public libraries!

R
Cindy
Jul 21, 2014 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Not maudlin, not sad, not cutesy, not fairy tale, this is a wonderful book for small children. Tuesday Tucks Me In tells the story of a day in the life of the golden retriever Tuesday and his special companion, Luis Montalvan. It handles difficult topics - PTSD and disabilities, shows the responsibilities of dog ownership (grooming and teeth-brushing to name two) as well as the pleasures of the dog park. Throughout, it is illustrated with beautiful photographs.

Highly recommended for children and
Mfbirkett
Dec 27, 2014 Mfbirkett rated it it was amazing

The heartwarming story of a golden retriever service dog and his companion Luis who is able to live a normal life with the help of Tuesday who wakes him in the morning and tucks him in bed at night after the two participate in daily activities together. The accompanying photos show Tuesday and Luis as they go about their busy day.

As the owner of a "rehomed" golden retriever, I have a fondness for this book and plan to share it with my students when they visit the library.
Ina
Jul 29, 2014 Ina rated it it was amazing
What an extraordinary book! Beautiful pictures and simple text combine to tell the tale of an Iraqi war vet and his service dog, Tuesday. The reader is taken through a day in the life of Luis and Tuesday - days filled with love and challenges and growth. There is humor, there is evidence of a deep bond between dog and human and there is the ever present love. Even a reader will fall in love with this extraordinary dog/human team.
Julie
Dec 04, 2014 Julie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
I love this book! The picture of Luis & Tuesday praying together just about did me in. What an amazing story of a beautiful friendship between a man and his dog. The pictures are beautiful and the words are outstanding also. Luis is able to face the challenge of each day living with the aftermath of injuries, both psychological and physical, due to his amazing bond with Tuesday.
Krista
Feb 09, 2015 Krista rated it it was amazing
Touching story of the bond between a disabled veteran and his service dog. Told from the point-of-view of the dog, Tuesday. This story is one that will stick with you for awhile. I read it to my fourth grade students and they loved it and were touched by it like I was. Just a beautiful story and what wonderful thinking and empathy students were able to elicit after reading.
Kristine Hansen
Tuesday is a service dog who is helping a soldier with PTSD and other physical ailments. Here we have an easy to understand book for children that gives what a day looks like for them together. Wonderfully presented, beautiful story. I will hunt down "Until Tuesday" - the book written for adults by this author. I'm glad I picked this up today.
Gayle
Oct 08, 2015 Gayle rated it it was amazing
It's a day in the life through the eyes of delightful Tuesday - a service dog and his relationship with his wounded warrior, war veteran, Luis.

The story is about how they assist each other and ultimately how they, in turn serve others.

This is wonderful for young and old alike.
Kelly
Dec 03, 2014 Kelly rated it it was amazing
I had the pleasure and honor of being able to hear the author read this in person when he was touring here in Denver this summer. This book would make a wonderful gift for children of all ages. Thank you Luis & Tuesday for all your are doing. Happy Holidays.
Elizabeth James
Jan 17, 2015 Elizabeth James rated it it was amazing
Really wonderful story as told by a rescue dog. I really loved it and my grandson loved it. Every child should read it!
ReadingWench
Not only is this for children, I believe this would help young adults and parents understand the complexity of disabilities.
James Vlasto
Nov 17, 2014 James Vlasto rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Amzing bond between a dog and a vet.Thank you for your service!!
My book is a semi-finalist! Please Vote! 1 5 Nov 11, 2014 10:45AM
Voting for best non-fiction book for parents of children with disabilities 1 7 Aug 01, 2014 01:29PM
  • Galapagos George
  • Ivan: The Remarkable True Story of the Shopping Mall Gorilla
  • Elizabeth, Queen of the Seas
  • A Boy and a Jaguar
  • Gravity
  • Mama Built a Little Nest
  • Tiny Creatures: The World of Microbes
  • Winter Bees & Other Poems of the Cold
  • Neighborhood Sharks: Hunting with the Great Whites of California's Farallon Islands
  • The Case for Loving: The Fight for Interracial Marriage
  • Farmer Will Allen and the Growing Table
  • Bird Talk: What Birds Are Saying and Why
  • A Little Book of Sloth
  • Kate & Pippin: An Unlikely Love Story
LUIS CARLOS MONTALVÁN is an award-winning New York Times bestselling author, speaker, and advocate. TUESDAY is Montalván's beloved service dog and the recipient of the 2013/14 American Kennel Club (AKC) Humane Fund Award for Canine Excellence (ACE) - Service Dog.

A 17-year veteran of the U.S. Army, Captain Montalván served multiple tours abroad and was decorated with numerous awards including two B
More about Luis Carlos Montalván...