Start by marking “Baking with Julia: Sift, Knead, Flute, Flour, and Savor...” as Want to Read:
Baking with Julia: Sift, Knead, Flute, Flour, and Savor...

Baking with Julia: Sift, Knead, Flute, Flour, and Savor...

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  4,420 ratings  ·  61 reviews
Nothing promises pleasure more readily than the words "freshly baked." And nothing says magnum opus as definitively as Baking with Julia, which offers the dedicated home cook, whether a novice or seasoned veteran, a unique distillation of the baker's art.

Baking with Julia is not only a book full of glorious recipes but also one that continues Julia's teaching tradition. He
Published November 4th 1996 by William Morrow Cookbooks (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Baking with Julia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baking with Julia

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow To Cook Everything by Mark BittmanBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildMy Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna Othitis
Best Cookbooks
120th out of 853 books — 861 voters
True North by Jill Ker ConwayA Woman's Education by Jill Ker ConwayIvy Days by Susan Allen TothGloria Steinem on Outrageous Acts and Everyday Rebellions by Gloria SteinemFeminist Family Values by Gloria Steinem
Smith College Books
80th out of 118 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Suzanne
This is a much-loved book in my collection- so loved that I'm on my third copy! (Due to a series of unfortunate events to the first two.) I always love the clear, detailed instructions given when Dorie Greenspan writes a cookbook. I never feel lost when trying something new from this book, wondering is this right? or should it look this way? Dorie tells you exactly what's what. The book provides some beautiful baking foundations, like the Flaky Pie Crust. Then it builds on those basics and expan ...more
Lisbeth Ames
To write a review of any book with the name Julia in the title, as in Julia Child, would seem to be an exercise in hubris. As if one were attempting to critique Zeus's hero-fathering abilities, or what's in Aphrodite's makeup bag. How does one appraise the Gods? It would be silly for a mere mortal and total hack in the kitchen like myself to try. However, what a total hack like myself CAN share is whether or not other mere mortals and non-kitchen-demigods like myself should even bother to attemp ...more
Elizabeth
This is a great one. Everything I have made from it (at least half the recipes) has been fabulous. I like it, though, when cookbooks explain WHY you're doing what you're doing instead of simply assuming that "this is just the way you always do it" since I like to manipulate recipes and make them my own. That is harder to do with this book, but it is still fabulous.
Nicole Lundrigan
This book is gorgeous! When I have time to make something fancy, this cookbook is my first choice. Recipes generally time-consuming, but there’s plenty of detailed instructions. And results are consistently fantastic.
C
Bumped this up to 5 stars. It's a keeper and I plan to use it to death.

Beautifully presented book, instructions are clear and well written, pictures lovely, food selection great.

It is written towards home bakers, and in some cases suggests a progression of recipes...this is fabulous. The pie doughs go from "fool proof" to advanced.

The bakers tend to assume you use a stand mixer. I do not...so anything that needs kneading is done by hand.

Each recipe we've tried has been good, so far, but they'v
Rebecca Dale
I picked this one up just after my first son was born. I was still a baby in the mid-nineties, but full of an intense love for good food and a bit of baking hubris. Had I known better at the time, I would have looked at the index of recipes and run the other way. Glad I didn't... Turns out, though many of the recipes are advanced, they are presented in a way that made recipes for Finnish Pulla, Boca Negra and Mocha Brownie Cake with a memorable ganache possible, even in my inexperience. Based on ...more
Maisy Mcgaughey
It's a mainstay on my cookbook shelf, which is a pretty high rating in itself. I don't keep a lot of cook books around, since "just recipes" are easy enough to locate on the web. I've never made a recipe that has been less than wonderful, and the magazine look and feel, along with extra bits of narrative and nuance put up there with cookbooks my kids will inherit.
Stephanie
I love to bake more than cook and this book not only has a wonderful collection of various baked goods but is connected with one of, if not *the*, most fantastic cook/baker that has walked this earth. I bought the book a few years ago and it pretty much just sat with my other cookbooks. Recently, I have had the desire to do more baking and decided to use this book instead of just collect it and I have not been disappointed. I am finding also sorts of new or previously loved but didn't know how t ...more
Alice Verberne
Now I know why Julia Child is so incredibly famous. This book breaks down how to bake in ways that other cookbooks just don't. If you want to learn to bake, then try this book.
G--
The best part of this gem --besides the touch of Julia --is the variety. While many baking books specialize in one kind of baking [cakes, breads, sweets, breakfast, and so on], this book has a wide variety of truly excellent recipes in a wide variety of styles. Of course that makes sense, since it is a compilation of the best recipes of many accomplished bakers. Everything I have made from this book has been truly excellent, and has introduced me to worthwhile authors. I especially have enjoyed ...more
Kylie Briggs
Gingerbread Cake: 3 stars - not my favorite. although I think this is a personal taste issue. A very strong gingerbread. I didn't love it.

Savory Brioche Pockets 3 stars - with a different filling this would easily be a 4 star at least. I just didn't fall in love with potatoes wrapped in bread.

Ruffle Cake 4 stars - this might be a five if I try again. I took a few shortcuts this time because there were so many new elements that I've never done before. I'll report back once I try again!

Sandwich br
Lori
I've been trying to learn how to bake bread and started with the Bread Baker's Apprentice. Unfortunately I found Peter's books hard to follow and complicated. It jumped around too much and I found that frustrating while trying to bake at the same time.

Dorie's book is the opposite. While the recipes appear to be tricky, they are not. All the bases are covered. I felt like she was in the kitchen with me guiding me through every step.

I would highly recommend it for anyone trying to gain an underst
Anne
Wow! Loved the beautiful pictures especially!
Gail
Classic Julia Child cookbook....many ingredients, many steps. For those who love baking both sweet and savory, this is a fantastic book. I recommend that it be used by an intermediate or very experienced baker.
Tien
Oct 16, 2007 Tien rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: hungry people
I saw Steve Sullivan (from Acme Bakery in Berkeley) on the tv show that this is pulled from, and was super excited because he was making one of my most favorite breads of all time - pain d'epis. What did I learn? That this bread takes for-ever to make. Really, it takes two days. This is the type of recipe I will never, ever use. There are a few recipes in here like that, but overall, this is a fantastic collection. I've made a few things from it already, and they've all come out delicious. I'm g ...more
Catherine Woodman
This is a fun book to read, and the series on PBS is well worth watching--I love the one with her and the woman who owns Al FOrno's. The recipes are more the people she bakes with than hers, and you really cannot easily use the cookbook with out foreknowledge of the series--it is a strange assortment of recipes otherwise--but things I saw on the show worked when I used recipes in this book
Celeste Knoll
I have owned this book for about 15 years. I remember the PBS series that featured the recipes. If you get stuck anywhere in the book, you can still find the videos online. The Challah recipe is wonderful. I made the pita bread yesterday with hummus. Dorie Greenspan, who wrote the cookbook, also has a good baking book called Baking. I am making the cheesecake recipe out of it today.
Betsy
LOVE. THIS. COOKBOOK!

Has all the recipes from the PBS series of the same name. I've made quite a few of the recipes, and they have come out quite well. My particular favorite is the recipe for Finnish pulla, a rich, cardamom-scented coffee bread. The recipe is much easier to handle than most of the other recipes I've come across for pulla, which are usually two or three times as big!
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Based on the PBS series, this cookbook combines two of the best voices to have in your head - Julia Child and Dorie Greenspan - as well as all the bakers who joined her on the program. I have made simple recipes from here but where it excels is to help you through the complicated processes like laminate doughs, brioche, and wedding cakes. An essential baking cookbook.
Nikki
Based on the PBS television show where Julia Child met with other well-known bakers to show techniques. Well-illustrated and covers both basics and special items. I should be baking something instead of typing! But the realities of life mean that this book does not live on the pantry shelf, but upstairs where I will retrieve it when I get ambition.
Jackie Gamber
Talk about "baking for dummies" - this book takes a reader through the basics! The good news is, it also respects a reader's intelligence. I've been baking/cooking my entire adult life, but haven't worked up the nerve for some of the more daunting projects like phyllo and croissants, but you know, I just might give it a whirl after all.
Ginny
Excellent bible for anything baking. EVERY recipe I have ever done from this (probably over 30) has been a standout and repeat. Love it. Julia knocks another one out of the park. The book also was well awarded (which tends to be a good sign of good cookery) like the James Beard award.
Rachel
I was so obsessed with this cookbook when it first came out, as I loved watching cooking shows when I was younger (and still do nowadays) esp ones with Julia Child. The one recipe I've actually tried out of here was the French bread, which took me six hours to make but was amazing.
Ellyn
I love perusing this book and drooling over the recipes. However, I'm pretty much a baking failure- even with Julia's help. Maybe if she was next to me in the kitchen, telling me not to worry, no one will notice, just patch it...
Karen Mc
Oct 06, 2012 Karen Mc rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: bakers and foodlovers
Excellent book for anyone interested in learning how to bake. The blueberry nectarine pie is a must bake. If you've never tried homemade eclairs and cream puffs, the recipe at the beginning of the book is an great version for beginners.
Ninon
If you have one cook book for baking in your kitchen then this would be it. The descriptions are wonderful and very precise. With Julia you never have to figure out what she meant. This is a nice sized book with terrific images.
Joye
I watched most of this series on my iPad and then read the book. I love especially the bread recipes and can't wait to try them. Julia makes you feel like you can cook anything even complicated in your own kitchen.
Kelly
Yes. What is it about reading cook books? I love them! You can't help but be amazed and also drool after reading this book. The next question is do I dare try to make any of these things? I wish I could bake!
Hope
I love this baking book, even if I almost never use it. A lot of the recipes are complicated/difficult/take too long for a busy life, but if you have and take the time, they are wonderful.
Bridget
I love this book. The pictures are beautiful. I really liked the companion series on PBS. I don't think that I will be getting an autograph for this book from Julia Child, darn it! :)
  • Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home
  • Beard on Bread
  • The Bread Bible
  • Baking Illustrated: A Best Recipe Classic (The Best Recipe Series)
  • The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion: The All-Purpose Baking Cookbook
  • Baked: New Frontiers in Baking
  • The Martha Stewart Cookbook: Collected Recipes for Every Day
  • Great Scandinavian Baking Book
  • The Art and Soul of Baking
  • The King Arthur Flour 200th Anniversary Cookbook: All the joy and variety of baking-the experience and tradition of America's most historic flour company (King Arthur Flour Cookbooks)
  • Chez Panisse Cafe Cookbook
Called a culinary guru by the New York Times, Dorie Greenspan is the author of the James Beard Awardwinning Baking: From My Home to Yours, which inspired the creation of the online baking community Tuesdays with Dorie. She has been passionately involved with French food for the last three decades. With Pierre Herm, she wrote Desserts by Pierre Herm, winner of an IACP Cookbook of the Year Award, an ...more
More about Dorie Greenspan...
Baking: From My Home to Yours Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours Paris Sweets: Great Desserts from the City's Best Pastry Shops Chocolate Desserts by Pierre Hermé Baking with Julia: Savor the Joys of Baking with America's Best Bakers