Start by marking “Naked Hero - The Journey Away (Naked Hero, #1)” as Want to Read:
Naked Hero - The Journey Away (Naked Hero, #1)

Naked Hero - The Journey Away (Naked Hero #1)

Naked Hero is the story of Lewis Macleod’s search for the elusive perfect man as he battles with the adversities of life. Told in two parts, the first The Journey Away is set in Melbourne and Sydney during the Australian Open tennis tournament where Lewis is competing as the only openly gay man in the sport.

Eighteen months after claiming the Wimbledon title at the tender
Published August 31st 2013 by Firm Hand Books

To ask other readers questions about Naked Hero - The Journey Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Naked Hero - The Journey Away

Freddy Cooper
Oct 16, 2013 Freddy Cooper rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing find. From start to finish, I was gripped and enjoyed every word. Believe me, this is an artist who will transport you to another world....and this world is the world of a top class gay tennis player. It is not though a book about tennis. That is merely the backdrop. This book is about a very real person, Lewis McCleod, the Naked Hero who, despite the pressures and hate from the gutter press, remains true to himself in his quest for the perfect man. I totally loved this book ...more
Douglas Gellatly
Jan 24, 2014 Douglas Gellatly rated it it was amazing
As serendipitous timing would have it, I read J. K. Brighton’s Naked Hero - The Journey Away in parallel timing with the staging of the 2014 Australian Open tennis championship in Melbourne. Consequentially, the story became very real.
Brighton’s admirable use of Aboriginal legends have been neatly woven into the story to give deep meaning to the “Love of Man.”
The tension of the story, which focuses on the Australian Open, is kept at a high level all the way and ends magnificently. I was left wo
David
Nov 09, 2014 David rated it really liked it
Amazing. Who knew tennis could be that exciting off the court too ? Ready to find out what happens next.
Maggie James
Feb 19, 2014 Maggie James rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance
I have very mixed feelings about this book. I loved the story, especially the way the author keeps the reader guessing about who Lewis will end up with - Scott or Lee. However, the novel clearly hadn't been edited, as it was full of spelling, punctuation and grammatical errors. The dialogue was also badly handled, and the author has a tendency to overuse exclamation marks. It's a shame, because if the novel had had a proper developmental edit and a thorough proof-reading, it would have been so ...more
Amy Spector
Jul 27, 2014 Amy Spector rated it it was amazing
It would be hard not to fall for Lewis Macleod, flaws and all. The story of Lewis' journey to find the "Perfect Man" to fill the void left by another is a great read. And even better, it is a unique story, something that can be a devil to find.

I purchased The Journey Home almost immediately upon flipping the last page.
Averin
Mar 18, 2015 Averin rated it liked it
Shelves: gay-romance
Enjoyable story but verbose. This is gay fiction not m/m, so no HEA at the end. I really liked the story but my fingers itched to spread comments. Like, "Please tell me no more thoughts, that's what italics are for!" And so forth. Yet, I really liked the story and will have to pick up the second half.

Suze
Jan 28, 2015 Suze rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a story so don't read expecting a full-on romance - hopefully we see more of that in book 2.

I got a good feel for Lewis's despair, from an early to now when he should be reaping the rewards of success.

I liked how the story showed us multiple aspects of being gay in the modern and competitive world.
Lewis shows one aspect of being a gay sportsman. Competing at top flight, out and having to live with the isolation this bring. He is very young, which I had to remind myself, and lonely.
Lee
Benjamin
Jul 19, 2015 Benjamin rated it liked it
Shelves: gay-fiction
Winning Wimbledon at the young of Twenty one Lewis Macleod seems to scupper his future prospects by announcing in his immediate post match interview that he is gay. We join him eighteen months after that event and a somewhat lack lustre tennis career since as he prepares for the Australian Open. He is still searching for his perfect man, but his often immature and ill considered behaviour, especially in his gay encounters, leaves him at the mercy of gutter press.

With two men now in his life, one
Ronna
Aug 06, 2014 Ronna rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, sports-theme
I have mixed feelings as to how to rate this book. It was slow moving and had no real romance to speak of (which are aspects that ruin books for me), however, there was something I cannot name in the periphery and I was compelled to keep reading. I liked the lead character Lewis very much. I also liked the men in his rather promising love triangle and the added twist to make the readers over think who the right "perfect man" was for Lewis. I also enjoyed the inclusion of tennis and the ...more
Brick ONeil
Jan 20, 2015 Brick ONeil rated it did not like it
Awful, slow, plodding, much introspection by characters.

Found the writing juvenile, the plot unbelievable and could not finish after fifty pages or so. Too many words written when half could do in most sentences. Yes, the author knows how to string words together but one shouldn't do it just to prove it.

Could not identify with the characters, they come off as spoiled and entitled. Writing is so stilted I cringed after each sentence. Brighton needs to loosen up a bit with dialogue, cut back on ex
Elin
Feb 09, 2014 Elin rated it really liked it
4.5*

I suspect I'd have sprung for 5 if I knew more about tennis, but as it was I found the mix of big business shenanigans, the machinations of those who hope to survive on the professional tennis circuit and the interpersonal relationships of the primary and secondary characters very absorbing.

This book is one of my Saturday picks: http://elingregory.wordpress.com/2014...
Rachel
Jun 05, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it
This was a keep u on the edge of ur seat book. I loved how this was a marriage of so many things. Tennis, buisness, art and history plus the goals and wants of so many people. Loved Lewis,Lee,Scott,Jim and Fiona and Chantal and Marie.
I dont think the answers were given fully in this book so my next read is 'The journey home'
Matthew Mastalski
Dec 20, 2014 Matthew Mastalski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a good read

Great character development and good story flow. I felt the author built up the story in a good way. Enough drama to make it a good page Turner. I will say that it was a little predictable, but not not enough to bee a turn off.
Ptdog
May 26, 2015 Ptdog rated it it was amazing
I like this book a lot. The storyline is complex and interesting. The flawed personalities are realistic. I was captivated. I'll start the sequel today. Besides I am a tennis fan and am glad to imagine the pro tennis world as a place to escape in. Cheers!
Amber
Aug 07, 2014 Amber rated it really liked it
To be honest, I skimmed through some parts of the book, but it has a good plot and seems to be edited correctly. One thing that bothered me was the POV would jump from one character to the other without a break.
Elaine
Dec 05, 2014 Elaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intense and interesting

Lewis wanted "the perfect man." And the when he possibly found 2 he felt overwhelmed. But his career couldn't have looked brighter. Would he end up with the right man in the end?
Booksmacked Chom
All the things the didn't do it for me.

omniscient
Wimbledon / tennis

I'm sure the story is great. But it just wasn't for me.
Stephen Tanton
Dec 16, 2013 Stephen Tanton rated it it was amazing
Amazing just finished reading journey home and so need for there to be another part to it!!! Please don't let this be the end.
Gary Jones
May 23, 2014 Gary Jones rated it it was amazing
fantastic read
will they won't they and then who, you must read it to find out.
I'm going to find book 2 now
Jason
May 18, 2014 Jason rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
This book was not what I expected. It turned out much better than I initially thought it would be. Brighton must be proud of this debut novel.
Sarah Shaw
Oct 28, 2013 Sarah Shaw rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay-romance
Fell in love with this book. I really have to read the next book. I hope Scott makes an appearance and will finally be all that Lewis wants and needs him to be!!
Bob Dias
Jul 27, 2014 Bob Dias rated it liked it
I tried to like this book but just couldnt get into it. I tried several times but just couldnt finish it. I just didnt care how it ended
Amir lampkins
Amir lampkins rated it it was ok
Oct 19, 2015
Robert Geise
Robert Geise rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2015
Shannelle Lamour :)
Shannelle Lamour :) rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2015
Diana's
Diana's rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2016
D
D rated it it was ok
Aug 13, 2015
Sandra M
Sandra M rated it did not like it
May 15, 2014
John
John rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2015
Richard Hines
Richard Hines rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • A Life For Nicholas (The Nicholas Chronicles)
  • First Frost (Neighborly Affection, #3.5; Dino Martini, #2.5; Highlander Heat, #0.5)
  • The Lord of Twink's Bottom
  • In His Sights (Don't Tell, #4)
  • Eternal Samurai
  • Into the Woods (Searching for Eden #1)
  • The Real Finn
  • Dark Love: A Story from Bennett Bay
  • Play On (Glasgow Lads, #0.5)
  • ABEL 1: It Can't Be You (Phoenix Club, #1)
  • Hidden Truths (The Hidden Series, #1)
  • Equals (Equals #1)
  • Measure of Devotion (Measure of Devotion, #1)
  • Eight Second Cowboy
  • Violence Begets...
  • Look Away Silence
  • Sebastian's Journal
  • His Touch of Ice (The Kaldr Chronicles, #1)
J. K. Brighton originally hails from the West of Scotland - The Doon Valley to be specific, a beautiful but harsh landscape once dominated by coal mining. He escaped at the first opportunity and studied Biology at Stirling University from which he graduated with Honours.
He moved to London with its vibrant gay scene, and spent the first few years teaching before moving into the finance sector durin
More about J.K. Brighton...

Naked Hero (2 books)
  • Naked Hero - The Journey Home (Naked Hero, #2)

“Having said her peace, Fiona” 0 likes
“But self-gain wasn’t the initial impetus behind Lee’s change of tact. He” 0 likes