Start by marking “Professional Baking” as Want to Read:
Professional Baking

Professional Baking

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  406 ratings  ·  19 reviews
One of the most respected cookbooks in the industryâthe 2002 IACP Cookbook Award Winner for Best Technical/ReferenceâProfessional Baking brings aspiring pastry chefs and serious home bakers the combined talent of Wayne Gisslen and the prizewinning Le Corden Bleu in one volume. The revised Fourth Edition offers complete instruction in every facet of the bakerâs craft, offer ...more
Hardcover, Fourth Edition, 736 pages
Published April 6th 2004 by John Wiley and Sons, Inc. (first published February 4th 1985)

Ginnie
Sep 25, 2010 Ginnie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All bakers.
Recommended to Ginnie by: My chef
The worst problem with this textbook is how much you have to flip around to find the complete technique to the formulas. Rather impractical when in the middle of tempering chocolate or making an Italian Meuringue.
Syahira Sharif

This is one of the book I frequently use and read all these years. Its a comprehensive book about the science of baking and it cover all the basic terms and steps in baking pastries, cakes and bread. Although I never actually use this book for the recipes but I find it provide wealth of information that you wouldn't find even in the wikipedia.

The recipes started with the basics to intermediate and professional. Unlike the Professional Cooking where you don't really need the precise measurement
Justina
Andy
Jun 20, 2010 Andy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bakers
Shelves: kitchenxplosion
If you're into baking at all this is essential reading. One of the textbooks used at Le Cordon Bleu, this excellent instructional book goes into exhaustive detail about different flours, leavening agents, every style of bread, party, cakes and even custards. You probably won't have need for another baking book once you get this because its as comprehensive as it gets.
De
Not a great book for bakers. The recipes are terrific for the cakes, pies, etc. but our bread was consistently too wet because the recipes call for far too much water. We cut it back by 1/3 and would add as needed to make the proper consistency. That said there are some wonderful and exotic cakes in there that I was lucky enough that my BFF made and put my name on :)
Alma
This text was included in my classes at LCB. I keep it around in part because of the recipes and the notes I took, but it makes a great reference volume, as well. Covers a lot of topics, and has a huge number of recipes.
Mary
great textbook - has a lot of information that I am constantly using for reference. Also, the formulas are really easy to use and variate and i have found some of the best recipes out of this book.
Mia
Reading this for school, I've found that it's very informative. We're using the Fifth Edition, which Goodreads doesn't have listed.
I recommend it for serious bakers out there.
Petabyte
I'll probably never use anything from this book (my sister bakes, and quite well too!) because I'm too lazy, but paging through it gives me an appetite. :)
Tina
Clear instructions, beautiful pictures and fantastic recipes. Best textbook I've used so far. No re-selling this one; it's a keeper, for sure.
Brittany Chambers
Textbook for my pastry class- a good blend of history, terminology, method, and recipes (sorry, formulas).
Super useful!
Yasmine Alfouzan
Great explanations of techniques, but there is no way in hell I'm going to use emulsified shortening.
Shannon
My Sous chef recommended I buy this for my classes didn't need it but it came in handy
Kierstin
Good for learning the basic chemistry of baking, but not for everyday use
Karmologyclinic
one word to describe this book: bakegasm!
michelle c
My baking bible!
Michael
THE textbook.
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Luke Pyron
Luke Pyron marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Mary  McMorris
Mary McMorris marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Okky Oktavia
Okky Oktavia marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
  • Baking and Pastry: Mastering the Art and Craft
  • The Professional Pastry Chef: Fundamentals of Baking and Pastry
  • In the Sweet Kitchen: The Definitive Baker's Companion
  • How Baking Works: Exploring the Fundamentals of Baking Science
  • Chocolates and Confections: Formula, Theory, and Technique for the Artisan Confectioner
  • The Secrets of Baking: Simple Techniques for Sophisticated Desserts
  • On Cooking: A Textbook of Culinary Fundamentals
  • The Art and Soul of Baking
  • How to Bake: Complete Guide to Perfect Cakes, Cookies, Pies, Tarts, Breads, Pizzas, Muffins,
  • BakeWise: The Hows and Whys of Successful Baking with Over 200 Magnificent Recipes
  • Nancy Silverton's Breads from the La Brea Bakery: Recipes for the Connoisseur
  • The Food Lover's Companion (Barron's Cooking Guide)
  • Paris Sweets: Great Desserts from the City's Best Pastry Shops
  • Culinary Artistry
  • Sugar Baby: Confections, Candies, Cakes, & Other Delicious Recipes for Cooking with Sugar
  • Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes
  • I Love Macarons
  • The New Professional Chef
Professional Cooking Professional Cooking, 7th Edition Gisslen Professional Cooking 6th Edition W/CD-ROM + Professional Cooking 6th Edition Study Guide - Set Study Guide to Accompany Professional Cooking Professional Cooking for Canadian Chefs