Start by marking “Into the Wilderness: The Long Hunters (Westward America, #1)” as Want to Read:
Into the Wilderness: The Long Hunters (Westward America, #1)

Into the Wilderness: The Long Hunters (Westward America #1)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Rosanne Bittner launches a new romantic/historical series, Westward America!, which will look at the settling of the United States, with each book moving progressively west into a new location and era.

Into The Wilderness depicts the life of those who settled in the Allegheny Mountains of Pennsylvania. The term "long hunters" refers to "Daniel Boone" type men who hunted f
Mass Market Paperback, 279 pages
Published March 14th 2003 by Tor Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Into the Wilderness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into the Wilderness

Susan
Into the Wilderness is the first installment in Rosanne Bittner's American West series. This first story begins in the midst of the French and Indian war, and features Noah Wilde, Long Hunter and spy, fighting along side the French and reporting back to the English. On his way back to Virginia to deliver news of a French victory and massacre, Noah comes upon Jessica Matthews in the forest as a group of Native Americans attack her. Noah and Jess save each other's lives and begin a difficult roman ...more
Tonya Lucas
I just loved this book. It is very graphic in the Indians ways of capture, but well worth reading. The love between Noah & Jessica is strong and faithful. Before our country was settled, the colonist went through many hard times. This is a really good look into our country prior to winning the French/ English war.
Elizabeth
Beautifully written. What a wonderful book. Book takes place back in the 1800's. Noah Wilde saves a kidnapped Jess from the Indians. They married in the end. An extremely romantic novel.
Phair
Since 2003 I have determined to read at least one book set during the French and Indian War, my "favorite" war, each year. This was the first title in that initiative, set in the early days of the war on the Pennsylvania frontier. It was a light read - more of a romance than straight historical fiction with many rather cliche situations but pleasant enough. The book ended with some loose ends that would hopefully be picked up in later books in Bittner's Westward America series although I have n ...more
Kaleigh
I enjoyed Into the Wilderness for the most part. It was a pretty quick read and kept me engaged through most of it.

It was nice reading about the French and Indian War for a change instead of the typical Revolutionary or Civil. I learned a good bit about it, which was a pleasant surprise.

My one complaint is that there were a couple... um... unnecessary scenes, which caused me to lose pretty much all respect for Jess. That's just my personal opinion though.

Overall, it was a nice book.
Pam
I really liked this book and intend to read the next one on the series. It's historical fiction set during the French and Indian War. I got caught up in the trials of Jessica Matthews and her husband-to-be. I hope the series becomes a saga of their family. Jessica was kidnapped by the Iroquois Indians who also killed the rest of her family. Noah tracks her down and saves her from being married to the man who kidnapped her.
Tasha
Nothing would keep them from the love they shared. A true frontier love story! Giving incite into the hardships and fears of a life on the frontier. Also, showing the ignorance of those living the life of pleasantries and yet trying to doane the air of leadership over the life they had no knowlegde of first hand.
Ratforce
This title combines romance, adventure, and history in a way you might find appealing. It is the first of a series that follows the settling of America, and involves both Native American and white settler storylines.
Mary
It was ok. I'll probably continue reading this series for historical background and I do tend to get hooked on historical fiction done in series.
Weeping Willow
The 1st of the three part series written by Rosanne Bittner. Loved the book and had a hard time putting it down........
Edward Lewandowski
Edward Lewandowski marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Manon
Manon marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Akyamamoto
Akyamamoto marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Veronica
Veronica marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Marci
Marci added it
Jul 19, 2014
Keri
Keri marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
For those of you who have not yet read my books, my stories are generally set in the American West of the 1800's and feature vividly-described, historically accurate settings that span the US from Missouri to California, from Canada to Mexico. Many of my books portray the poignant history of our Native Americans, and though the characters are my own, I use real historical locations and events in a ...more
More about Rosanne Bittner...
Sweet Prairie Passion (Savage Destiny, #1) Ride The Free Wind (Savage Destiny, #2) Song of the Wolf Embrace The Wild Land (Savage Destiny , #4) River Of Love (Savage Destiny, #3)