Into the Wilderness: The Long Hunters (Westward America, #1)

Into the Wilderness: The Long Hunters (Westward America #1)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Rosanne Bittner launches a new romantic/historical series, Westward America!, which will look at the settling of the United States, with each book moving progressively west into a new location and era.

Into The Wilderness depicts the life of those who settled in the Allegheny Mountains of Pennsylvania. The term "long hunters" refers to "Daniel Boone" type men who hunted f
Mass Market Paperback, 279 pages
Published March 14th 2003 by Tor Books (first published 2002)

Susan
Into the Wilderness is the first installment in Rosanne Bittner's American West series. This first story begins in the midst of the French and Indian war, and features Noah Wilde, Long Hunter and spy, fighting along side the French and reporting back to the English. On his way back to Virginia to deliver news of a French victory and massacre, Noah comes upon Jessica Matthews in the forest as a group of Native Americans attack her. Noah and Jess save each other's lives and begin a difficult roman...more
Elizabeth
Beautifully written. What a wonderful book. Book takes place back in the 1800's. Noah Wilde saves a kidnapped Jess from the Indians. They married in the end. An extremely romantic novel.
Phair
Since 2003 I have determined to read at least one book set during the French and Indian War, my "favorite" war, each year. This was the first title in that initiative, set in the early days of the war on the Pennsylvania frontier. It was a light read - more of a romance than straight historical fiction with many rather cliche situations but pleasant enough. The book ended with some loose ends that would hopefully be picked up in later books in Bittner's Westward America series although I have n...more
Kaleigh
I enjoyed Into the Wilderness. It was a pretty quick read and kept me engaged through most of it.

It was nice reading about the French and Indian War for a change instead of the typical Revolutionary or Civil. I learned a good bit about it, which was a pleasant surprise.

My one complaint is that there were a couple unnecessary scenes, which caused me to lose respect for Jess. That is just my personal opinion though.

Overall, it was a nice book.
Pam
I really liked this book and intend to read the next one on the series. It's historical fiction set during the French and Indian War. I got caught up in the trials of Jessica Matthews and her husband-to-be. I hope the series becomes a saga of their family. Jessica was kidnapped by the Iroquois Indians who also killed the rest of her family. Noah tracks her down and saves her from being married to the man who kidnapped her.
Tasha
Nothing would keep them from the love they shared. A true frontier love story! Giving incite into the hardships and fears of a life on the frontier. Also, showing the ignorance of those living the life of pleasantries and yet trying to doane the air of leadership over the life they had no knowlegde of first hand.
Ratforce
This title combines romance, adventure, and history in a way you might find appealing. It is the first of a series that follows the settling of America, and involves both Native American and white settler storylines.
Mary
It was ok. I'll probably continue reading this series for historical background and I do tend to get hooked on historical fiction done in series.
Weeping Willow
The 1st of the three part series written by Rosanne Bittner. Loved the book and had a hard time putting it down........
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Kerry
Kerry added it
Apr 04, 2014
Tiffany Parente Connors
Tiffany Parente Connors marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Rachel Morehouse
Rachel Morehouse marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Janice
Janice added it
Feb 01, 2014
Coni Wadley
Coni Wadley marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
CelticRabbit
CelticRabbit marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Meaghan
Meaghan marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Kerrie
Kerrie added it
Aug 15, 2013
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
For those of you who have not yet read my books, my stories are generally set in the American West of the 1800's and feature vividly-described, historically accurate settings that span the US from Missouri to California, from Canada to Mexico. Many of my books portray the poignant history of our Native Americans, and though the characters are my own, I use real historical locations and events in a...more
More about Rosanne Bittner...
Sweet Prairie Passion (Savage Destiny, #1) Ride The Free Wind (Savage Destiny, #2) Song of the Wolf Embrace The Wild Land (Savage Destiny , #4) River Of Love (Savage Destiny, #3)