Cobweb Empire (Cobweb Bride Trilogy, #2)

Cobweb Empire (Cobweb Bride Trilogy #2)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  180 ratings  ·  30 reviews
In a world where no one can die, she alone can kill...

Cobweb Empire (Cobweb Bride Trilogy #2) is the second book of the intricate epic fantasy flavored by Renaissance history and the romantic myth of Persephone, about death's ultimatum to the world.

Now that she's Death's Champion, what will Percy do?

In a world where all death and dying has ceased, and only one person can...more
Hardcover, First Edition, 386 pages
Published September 25th 2013 by Norilana Books

To ask other readers questions about Cobweb Empire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cobweb Empire

Chie
After reading this..saying that I'm excited for the third book will be a huge understatement because I'm freaking dying to read it!!!

The ending is no cliffhanger but the story keeps on getting awesomer(lol is this even a word? :P)

So anyways.. COBWEB EMPIRE did and totally hit my expectations..no actually it exceeded my EXPECTATIONS and that is saying a lot..I love how it continues to surprise me, the author never fails to leave me in awe.

I wanted everyone to read this ..and know this awesome fee...more
Alyssa
Cobweb Empire picks up where Cobweb Bride ended. Percy's new role as Death's Champion has allowed her to put her grandmother to rest, and in a world where Death no longer claims mortals, Percy's gift can be seen as either a blessing or a curse.

Percy's reunion with her family and her hometown is short-lived, however, as she must continue on with her journey to find the Cobweb Bride so that she can restore order to the land. All Percy knows is that the Cobweb Bride resides in the south, and this i...more
Katy
Oct 12, 2013 Katy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those interested in Persephone/Demester, alternate history
Recommended to Katy by: Vera
Shelves: ebook
Book Info: Genre: Pseudo-historical Fantasy
Reading Level: Upper Young Adult
Recommended for: those interested in Persephone/Demeter mythology, alternate history, well-told fantasy stories
Trigger Warnings: murder, suicide, war

My Thoughts: This is the continuation of the Cobweb Bride trilogy, the first book of which I read in July. It is a pseudo-historical fantasy set during the Renaissance, although not strictly historically accurate (thus the fantasy aspect). It cleverly recreates the Persephone...more
Susana

Taking place soon after the events of Cobweb Bride, this volume is once again a magnificent tribute to the art of fine writing, showcasing the author's unparalleled imagination.

Taking place on a grander scale that the one presented in Cobweb Bride, its characters are drawn in such a whimsical and rich way, that can only add more colour to the rich environment in which the story takes place.

In a mixture of occidental with oriental, with frontiers blurred and later on simply gone without a trace,...more
Kris
What to say about the second installment of Cobweb Bride that hasn't already been mentioned in other reviews?

It is a good, solid read that picks up right where the first book left off. But what is great about this book - as all of Ms. Nazarian's books that I've read - is her propensity to surprise the reader with great plot-twists, wit, charm, and beautifully verbose language (or is that just me that is always happily surprised?). I am never quite sure where the story will take me and though I m...more
Jeanne Johnston
Aaaaarrrrrggggghhhh!

I would have avoided The Cobweb Bride if I'd realized it wasn't a complete story--ignorance I'm now grateful for, because I'm totally invested in the story.

The first book seems deliciously leisurely as it sets up the story. This second installment just drops you right in the middle if the action and doesn't mess around. I was glad there wasn't much laboring over bringing new readers up to speed, but I have to wonder about those who stumble into it without realizing they need...more
Genean
The city is set in siege by Hoarfrost and Deaths Champion - Percy is inside. As death has ceased so had the entire food chain. An escape must be made and a journey South to follow the pull of the Cobweb Bride..
What looks simple is simple yet as complex as it gets with this story. It would be important to show here that the author has woven into its fabric some scenes of honour regard and love which is it's most stirring strength in this mission. From the most plain and stoic heroes are wrought....more
Icy Sedgwick
Back in October I reviewed Vera Nazarian's Cobweb Bride, the first in a trilogy set in an imaginary pocket of Europe during the Renaissance. I absolutely loved book one, awarding it four blunt pencils, and managed to get my mitts on Cobweb Empire, its follow-up. I've had book two on my Kindle for some time, but I'll admit, the release of the final book, Cobweb Forest, gave me the kick up the bum that I needed to read it.

As with book one, Cobweb Empire tells the story of Percy Ayren, the ordinary...more
Stephanie
From the Militant Recommender Book Review Blog:
When I saw there was an indigogo campaign to get "Cobweb Empire" published, I had to kick something in (wish it was more!) and now I have just finished Cobweb Empire and it is epic! Ms. Nazarian is a truly magical writer. We pick up where "Cobweb Bride" ended and Percy, the smart and brave peasant girl, has become (sorry, spoilers for any who haven't read the first book!) Death's Champion and one of her first...more
Jess Molly Brown
I adore this freshly-twisted Persephone myth; it’s not what you might expect in regards to the original tale. Bits and pieces come out at unexpected times and in unexpected ways, but you don’t need to know the original myth to enjoy this.

The story is set in an alternate universe Renaissance-era country in Europe. There’s a lot of rich detail here and I lost myself in this world for several solid hours. It is, at times, gruesome there, yet there’s a Gothic beauty to it. It’s not without romance,...more
Nicole
One word...LOVED!

I enjoyed the hell out of Cobweb Bride and Cobweb Empire was even better. Aside from a lull a little past the middle of the book, I can't complain. Actually some of my favourite books always have that lull and then a fabulous ending to follow.

Speaking of endings...this one is another cliff hanger and I was definitely surprised by it! Of course, I had it figured out but only a paragraph before it was said!

Percy is a wonderful protagonist because she came into her own very quickl...more
♥ Unaeve ♥ Olga

Imagine a world where no one is dying.Yay that's a great idea - you would say at first.But think about it.It's not just that you would become immortal or that your loved ones would never have to depart from you.Think about the sick, think about the old people already on there dying bed...
They wouldn't just jump up, become healed,healthy and young again. No,they would be sentenced to endless suffering with no sleep or rest.Nothing can die.Not the old,dying grandma,not the assassinated beautiful p...more
Leslie
Jun 26, 2014 Leslie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: If you like a retelling of fairy tales or mythologies; If you enjoyed the first book.
Cobweb Empire picked up where the first book, Cobweb Bride, left off. I am not just talking story-wise, but also in its ability to enchant and ensnare me in its story. This was a wonderful follow up to the first book. It maintained its fantastical nature, while providing a different tone from the first book.

What I enjoy most about this book (and series) is the beautiful writing style of Nazarian. Her writing gives a feel of wonder and magic, complementing the tone of the book perfectly. The way...more
Isa Lavinia

WIN AN EBOOK COPY OF COBWEB EMPIRE (see end of post)

Do you ever regret giving 5 stars to the first book of a series, not because it doesn't deserve it, but because the second book is even better and you have no way to make the rating reflect that?

Because that's the case here.

I absolutely LOVED Cobweb Bride, I think I ended up making myself somewhat of a nuisance and recommending it to my entire friends' list on Goodreads because I couldn't bear the thought that someone somewhere was not, as I w...more
Terri
This is really more of a 3.5 stars rating (oh Goodreads, why can't I give half stars?!). I inhaled Cobweb Empire; as with Cobweb Bride, this was the rare book as of late that made me drop/neglect everything and just spend an entire day reading. While some of the writing clunkiness found in Cobweb Bride still remains in this book (introducing characters by way of physical description and repetition of things the reader already knows (the way the dead talk, how the dead look and/or move, how chara...more
Jenni
So this series grew on me during the 2nd half of the 1st book and this 2nd book has officially sucked me in! The writing style was less....awkward. The storyline, for any fairy tale/mythology lovers, is amazing! If you love a good fairy tale this is the book series for you! I really want to make the illustrations for this book....OH! and this book series is kid friendly!!!
Julia
Back to this trilogy - and while this is the middle of three, it moves the story along perfectly. As beautifully written as the first, and building gradually towards the final volume (and as I bought them both, could continue reading immediately!)
Sarah Wilson
I'm hooked! I need to go to bed, but I am very excited to start on the third book in this trilogy.
Carolyn
This is the perfect follow-up to The Cobweb Bride. Again, I couldn't put it down.
Emily
Insanely hooked on this story. I am so pleased at the character developments and progressions. Continuity is flawless, she sets a rule about her world and then sticks to that rule. I can't wait to read the third book. I will be sad when this journey is over.
Lynn Weide
The beautiful language in this book...it's in a class of its own. And great surprise at the end! Highly recommend.
Reland
The story continues to get stronger and more interesting.
Shelly
Pretty much the same review as for the first book, Cobweb Bride. The story continues along and there were far more character interactions in this one as opposed to the first one with so much description of landscape and settings. There is a far more loud modern voice in places which was distracting and more of the bathroom crap (pun intended). Geez, we get it already, they're human and they have to go to the bathroom, why do we have to read about EVERY TIME???

Also, some really bad editing error...more
Anastasia
This was really great. Sequel to Cobweb Bride, it fulfills all the promise of the 1st book. The action picks up right where it left off, and it's a much more ambitious and satisfying book. If you liked or were intrigued by the Cobweb Bride, I highly recommend picking up the sequel.
Casey Jansen jones
Fantastic! A perfect second book that left me absolutely salivating to read the final book!
Skye
The glorious sequel to Cobweb Bride! The plot gets even thicker as Percy travels to find the Cobweb Bride. We are introduced to some fascinating new characters while still keeping track of the original ones.

The author masterfully weaves this complex and absorbing tale filled with intrigue, twists, and cliffhangers. I'm holding my breath until the next book!
Jilly
Sigh, now I must wait ....
April
Thoroughly enjoyed this sequel. I have more questions than answers and I cannot wait until the conclusion.
Meghan
Really good. But the pov narrative with other girls and the two aristocrats I completely skipped over. I don't think that added to the story at all. Otherwise would have been an easy 4 stars.
3.5 rating
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Vera Nazarian is a two-time Nebula Award Nominee, award-winning artist, and member of Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, a writer with a penchant for moral fables and stories of intense wonder, true love, and intricacy.

She immigrated to the USA from the former USSR as a kid, sold her first story at the age of 17, and since then has published numerous works in anthologies and magazines...more
More about Vera Nazarian...
Cobweb Bride (Cobweb Bride Trilogy, #1) Mansfield Park and Mummies: Monster Mayhem, Matrimony, Ancient Curses, True Love, and Other Dire Delights Cobweb Forest (Cobweb Bride Trilogy, #3) The Witch Who Made Adjustments Lords of Rainbow