Start by marking “The Shining Ones (The Tamuli, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Shining Ones (The Tamuli, #2)

The Shining Ones (The Tamuli #2)

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  17,348 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
Prince Sparhawk and Queen Ehlana must remain with their retinue of Pandion Knights in the Eastern land of Daresia to assist the beleagured Emperor Sarabian. The rebellion against Sarabian within the walls of the famed pearl-encrusted city of Matherion was defeated. But Sarabian’s enemies will regroup and plan an attack that will be less easily routed. Trolls despoil Atan i ...more
Published 1994 by Harper Collins (first published August 2nd 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Shining Ones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shining Ones

Katie
May 29, 2013 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took a while for me to get back in the swing of Eddings after the dystopian sci-fi I've been reading lately but it picked up toward the end. At one point I mentioned my trouble to my husband and he replied "But you've been laughing out loud constantly!" and that is the main charm of Eddings for me, the humor, which is very present in this volume.
James
Jan 11, 2012 James rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, fantasy
This series continues to frustrate as David Eddings leaves the reader with a massive unfinished scene at the very end of the book. This book continues his style of writing pages of dialogue, unbroken by any personal reflection by any of the characters or even descriptions of who's talking.
Character interaction is at the forefront of this book at the expense of a complex plot, though it's still hard to fathom motives for some of the stranger plot devices, or any sense of excitement, as the charac
Jasmine Woods
Things finally start to get going in the Shining Ones, but it's still the weakest book of the Tamuli trilogy. Most of this is down to several things previously considered unalterable in the Sparhawk-verse suddenly changing. Bhelliom is sentient. Zalasta is evil. Aphrael appears as an adult. Sephrenia is a howling bigot. That last one is a huge plot point and it comes out of nowhere given the people she's prejudiced against aren't introduced until this far in the story. And then there's Xanetia, ...more
Danica
Aug 18, 2012 Danica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent installment. I'm finally nearing the end of Sparhawk's adventures (one more book to go) and I find that I'm almost reluctant to begin reading "The Hidden City". This is not because I don't want to read it, but more because I don't want the series to end. I'm going to miss this world and all of the wonderful characters that I've grown so very attached to. But I think that is the plight of anyone who enjoys reading.

There was much character growth to be had in "The Shining Ones",
Angus Burns
Mar 05, 2011 Angus Burns rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I decided to read this book because i have read several other David Eddings books and have enjoyed all of the m so i decided to read this one.

This book completes the "Fantasy" category on the bingo board.

I liked this book because of the diversity of its characters, such as the main character , Sparhawk, an old and grumpy Church Knight.

There was nothing I disliked about this book.

I would recommend this book to any avid fantasy readers as it is one of the best fantasy books I have come across.

Larrissa
May 09, 2015 Larrissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes I need to take a break from the "darker" novels I tend to read. That's why I love books like this one.

Well that and the characters. A few new faces and many old friends in this one. A couple of characters I didn't like from the Elenium series made their way into this series and are still hanging around.

This book, like the other Eddings books I've read, seems to be as much about character relationships (personal, political, racial) as the adventure. If you're big on adventure but not s
Sheila
Nov 18, 2009 Sheila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As much as I love this series, I just have to say: at one point there is a string of exposition that lasts forty pages. FORTY PAGES. yeargh.
Neville Ridley-smith
Jan 25, 2016 Neville Ridley-smith rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
There's good stuff and there's cringe-worthy stuff. I generally like lots of dialogue in books. In this book, it's a plus and a minus. Almost the whole book is dialogue. And what's funny is that it's in the non-talking parts that there's some actual intrigue and creativity - the fantastical side of things has a chance to shine - which is what I really enjoyed about the Belgariad - ie exploring a world with all sorts of curious things in it. There's some of that in this book but I want more.

Back
Joanne
Aug 13, 2014 Joanne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: high-fantasy
Originally posted on Once Upon a Bookcase.
The Shining Ones, the second book in The Tamuli, continues the story awesome story set in the Tamul Empire on the other side of the world, and things are getting more interesting!

After the failed coup on the palace, Sparhawk and his friends now know it was an attempt to discover their resources and their weaknesses. They also know that it's not the Troll-Gods who are behind it all, but Cyrgon, god of the long-thought extinct Cyrgai. There is no choice bu
Chrystal
Aug 29, 2013 Chrystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Shining Ones is book 2 of The Tamuli series. So far this is the best book of the series. There was a better balance of political plot and action that captivates an audience attention. Events happened right after another which kept the story going and not stay in one spot for too long. Sephrenia had more of a role in this book then the first one of which I liked and there was lots of character development. The book ends with a cliff hanger which makes you want to read the third book to find ...more
Andrew Wilson
Book Two of The Tamuli. The New York Times Bestseller!
Years ago, the Child-Goddess Aphrael had hidden Bhelliom, the Stone of Power, at the bottom of the sea. Yet now it is needed again to stop a malign force from spreading evil and destruction across the lands. Sparhawk, Queen's champion, sets out to retrieve the Stone. But others seek the gem for their own diabolical ends. Most fearsome of these are the Shining Ones, whose mere touch melts human flesh from bone. Now Sparhawk finds himself stal
Kristen
Aug 12, 2014 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought that I'd re-read books from middle school and high school and then be able to donate them. Nope, just got sucked right back in. Out of the three, this one definitely I read the fastest. There's something about this plot that moves very quickly for me. Like I wrote in my review for book 1, there's nothing spectacular about this book but for a fantasy nerd like me it hits all the right notes for what I like to read in this genre. A great diversionary read and easy lift.
Ruth
Jul 06, 2015 Ruth rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, spec-fic
c1993: Another epic fail on my part. once again, just could not get invested in this book. I think perhaps if I ever get the chance, I am going to try and get the audible version. There is no way that so many people can enjoy these books but leaves me cold. Unfortunately, unable to recommend to the normal crew at this time. "It's really quite grotesque, Sir Kalten,' Itagne told him,'and more than a little sickening.'"
Mirta Martin
Feb 02, 2014 Mirta Martin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was glad to get all of the books in this series as a Christmas present, because I at the moment I finished one book I had to start the next one. And I recommend to all of you who still havent read these: buy them all before starting to read, or you will regret it the moment you finish one book and realize you dont have the next one yet.

These books can make anyone fall in love with fantasy.
Dionne
Feb 09, 2014 Dionne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great story. I loved the characters and the way the story went. I'm looking forward to seeing everything the bad guys get in the end by Sparhawk and his friends. I recommend this story as well as all of David Eddings books.
Jak
Jun 24, 2009 Jak rated it really liked it
The second book of the Tamuli is better than the first, which was mainly political manoeuvring. There is still plenty of that to be had here but with the band of adventurers having split into groups to pursue various disparate enemies/allies which offers more action and excitement. Particularly Sparhawks encounter with The Shining Ones.

And the Rose also is brought back…. Which we really didn’t need.

The series is the same as the Belgariad/Mallorion and while still worth a read the format is gett
Lonnie Smith
Jul 12, 2010 Lonnie Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoyed this much more than the first book of the trilogy, as his banter between characters lessened and action increased. The one stick I still have with it, is that he lays out all of his plans for each confrontation beforehand, and then it goes off without a hitch. This is the case most of the time. I feel like there is rarely a question about who will win. This makes it pleasant to read but less exciting. Cyrgon is explained as always being outdated and stupid, which cheapens him as an ene ...more
Jun 30, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faves
I always fall into this trap...reading about a set of characters for a number of books for my interest to begin to dwindle a little. In my defence, this book is most probably the most slow paced out of the six books that total Sparhawk's adventures. The main focus seems to be entirely the peace-making between two enemies, the revelation of the criminal mastermind and then the final two pages being used to set up the drama for the next book, which I am REALLY looking forward to. Eddings' writing ...more
Tone-Britt Arnesen
Loved it; very clear division between heroes and villains. Read and reread many times.
Joy Gibson
Feb 09, 2014 Joy Gibson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book long ago and I loved it. Not sure when I read it but will take a guess.
Férial
Jan 16, 2013 Férial rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars. That's the kind of fantasy I love.

I have loved the Belgariad but the Tamuli is more...I'd say "adult". More complex. There's not much of the countryside in this book but political matters are deeply discussed (and are not boring), differences between races and how people can settle those differences and put an end to thousands of years of hatred is also a part I have deeply loved. The story of Sephrenia and the Anarae is beautiful.

Oh, the cliffhanger is just wow. Sparhawk will definitel
Minh
May 29, 2012 Minh rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
As much as I love all of the books by the Eddings couple, I have to admit this one is a bit of a mess. The storyline is all over the place and the plotting is incredibly raise your eyebrow ok I kind of see what you're trying to get at but not really.

That said, the characters in these novels are always the key. I think I could read entire novels of just little snippets of their lives (which in a way is what this series is).

I'd actually forgotten about the conclusion to the novel! So I'm looking
Mario
Apr 03, 2015 Mario rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The entire series was a long read but lots of fun
Birgit
Apr 25, 2014 Birgit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
re-reading favourites.
Gabriel
Sep 18, 2015 Gabriel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
amazing
Anthony Zappia
After the somewhat lengthy and lack-lustred first novel of this series, The Shining Ones is a breath of fresh air. Some really interesting characters and twists introduced into this novel.
Althea Ann
"Well, I know in the last book we solved all the problems by chucking the magical rock into the ocean. But wait! I need to write a sequel! Hang on, I know. It wasn't just a magical rock, it's actually a rock full of gods! And we need to have the characters go back & fish it out of the ocean and carry it around some more so they can use it to very unethically yet gleefully slaughter their enemies and enable the extinction of species! Yeah, that's it!"
Vera Maslow
Dec 07, 2013 Vera Maslow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this a lot more then the first. It still felt like a lot of sitting around talking more then doing but it was more interesting talk to me. There was a bit of action thrown in there. I also felt a more emotional connection to the characters at this point which boosts it to a 4 star instead of a 3 star like I was originally thinking. I am interested to see how everyone plays out and wraps up in book 3.
Dark-Draco
Apr 19, 2013 Dark-Draco rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this and read it straight after volume one. But what's up with the cover art - it looks like Sparhawk is made out of wood! Funny and fast-paced, this escalated the story between the Elene's and the Tamul's, with more enemies making themselves know. The ending is a bit of a shock, but makes you want to reach for volume three straight away - I can't wait.
Hannah
Jun 14, 2009 Hannah rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourites, fantasy
Heavy doses of action and excitement compared to the Domes of Fire, which was a comparatively tame opening to the Tamuli. New characters are appearing, old characters are in conflict with each other as they are changed by their environment and the people they come in contact with, and more battles, enemies and danger from all sides make the tension very high indeed.
  • Shards of a Broken Crown (The Serpentwar Saga, #4)
  • Witches' Brew (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #5)
  • The Hand of Chaos (The Death Gate Cycle, #5)
  • Quest for Lost Heroes (The Drenai Saga, #4)
  • The Eye of the Hunter (Mithgar, #14)
David Eddings was an American author who has written several best-selling series of epic fantasy novels. David Eddings' wife, Leigh Eddings, is uncredited as co-author on many of his early books, but he has lately acknowledged that she contributed to them all.

David Eddings' first books (which were general fiction) sold moderately well. He later switched to writing epic fantasy, a field in which he
More about David Eddings...

The Tamuli (3 books)
  • Domes of Fire (The Tamuli, #1)
  • The Hidden City (The Tamuli, #3)

“One of the less attractive aspects of human nature is our tendency to hate the people we haven't treated very well; it's much easier than accepting guilt. If we can convince ourselves that the people we betrayed or enslaved were subhuman monsters in the first place, then our guilt isn't nearly so black as we secretly know that it is. Humans are very, very good at shifting blame and avoiding guilt.” 37 likes