Hereditary (Beatrice Harrow #1)
read excerpt

Hereditary (Beatrice Harrow #1)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Beatrice Harrow has the blood of a tainted creature running through her veins. It makes her more powerful, more beautiful and more despised than any other being in the human kingdom. So she is naturally suspicious when the ever-smiling Cale and his comparatively tacit counterpart, Prince Hazen, befriend her.

Armed with an ability that is becoming more threatening to her ow...more
Published December 4th 2013 (first published August 2013)

Magan
Ok, ok we're all thinking it and I just... just need to say it.

How fucking gorgeous is that cover?
Vanessa Vendrasco-Aere

I want to start off by saying that the premise of this book was fantastic. The ideas —outstanding. The writing— intriguing. The plot— all the main ingredients for perfection... the execution—ehh, a little lacking.

Lets start from the beginning. Everything was extremely rushed. Bea going to school, learning about Force and about her impending birthday, making friends, trusting said friends... it all seemed to just happen without much of a transition. This wa...more
C. Erani Kole
I loved this book, it had everything I enjoy in stories: hot guys, a dangerous chick who wants nothing to do with the negativity it brings, the 'old world' of knights and guards... it was so fun, too! Bea is a synfee, but with her birthday coming up, she'll soon come into her power, and that power is dangerous enough to kill her, if she isn't careful. She meets all these hot guys along the way and although they all like to to a degree, she doesn't choose any one of them, which kept the story lin...more
Ebony Meyer
Unknown author, YA fantasy crossed with romance, debut novel. Wow, what a recipe for disaster, and how impressively Washington overcame it. Rest assured, this book was not at all the underdeveloped girly daydream I expected to suffer through. The world-building was impressive, the characters completely unique, and the lead (while admittedly a little slow to come into her own) shows some real potential as a kick-ass heroine! I actually found myself quite liking the fact that she did not start out...more
Desiree Gorman -  A Love Affair With Books
When we received the request from Jane to review her debut novel, I gotta admit, I was a little scared of the fantasy angle. I've read vampire/werewolf books and fairy books but this one was definitely something different.

Including all our super natural favorites, "Hereditary" introduces us to a completely different world full of all types of creatures and powerful beings. In particular, our lead, Beatrice Harrow is a synfree. Synfrees are known for their incredible beauty but this beauty allow...more
Dominique Dosty
I thought this book was really good, I loved it. I was not sure at first because it just got right into it without describing or naming the main character. However, as the story went on I could not stop reading hence me finishing the book in less than 24hrs. For me reading that fast even if it was only 230 pages it definitely held my interest which is not an easy thing when it comes to me. I cannot wait to read the next book.
Julie Bird
This was quite original and definitely left me wanting more. Have to wait for the next one, ugh!
Nikki
Really, I am giving this book 4.5 stars. The story was amazing and totally addicting. However, the writing was a bit hard to follow. It almost seemed as though there were gaps in the details of what is going on around the character. Needless to say, the gaps did not deter me from loving this book. I CAN NOT WAIT UNTIL THE NEXT ONE COMES OUT!
Elienora the Sensation
What a pleasant surprise! Can't wait to read the next one!
Marsha
Nov 23, 2013 Marsha rated it 2 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Young Adults
When I first saw the cover for "Hereditary" it peaked my interest and after reading the book description I was equally intrigue. The books I enjoy the most tend to have a unique plot and this one definitely qualified under that heading. Unfortunately, the read was rather mediocre abd dull for my taste solely due to the antiseptic/clinical world building and characterizations. Every word was hoo hum and the characters lack passion.

Beatrice Barrow lives in a small cottage with her ailing mother an...more
Hazel Skousen
I personally absolutely did not like this book. I thought it started fine and that the plot and magic system were fine but I thought all the incredibly detailed lovers scenes were just too much.

This book was written by Jane Washington and is about a girl who lives in a land with fairies, elves, humans, rangers, assassins, kings, and a species called synfee. (Which she is.) The girl's name is Bea Harrow and she struggles with the stereotypes typically associated with synfees and therefor with her...more
Donna
Well, this story grabbed me and kept me up till the wee hours. Now I need to read the next one and it's not even out yet! I will warn you there are F-bombs. That made me pretty mad. They were not necessary and I struggle to understand why this fantasy world would contain our most vulgar slang. A mistake by the author that could have been easily corrected.
Kaygee
Wow, a great story and great characters. I am looking forward to
reading the next book in this series. Ms. Washington will be an
author I continue to follow.
Rafaela
There are so many grammar errors in this book that it kept pulling me out of the story. Really dumb errors like using "you're" instead of "your", and "where" instead of "were".

It's a shame because the story has potential.
Deoro
Very good. World building is interesting with new races and powers. Story and character development good, but not great. Well worth the read and I will definitely get the sequel.
Min
Lynn Weide
Too many typos. Just couldn't get past it.
Niliza
Niliza marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Carrie Craig
Carrie Craig marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Lauren Barrett
Lauren Barrett marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Linsey
Linsey marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Bell-gary
Bell-gary marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Saio
Saio marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Hobin Hobb
Hobin Hobb marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Cassidy
Cassidy is currently reading it
Apr 01, 2014
Nancy Jones
Nancy Jones marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
The Soulstoy Inheritance 1 4 Dec 27, 2013 08:41PM
I write constantly! When I'm not writing, I'm dreaming in diction, or counting down the seconds until I can be alone with my laptop again.
I can't "write drunk" and "edit sober", because when I'm drunk, I think I'm german, and trying to proof a chapter written entirely in germanic, mobster-speak can get annoying.
I love the idea of fresh fruit and OCD-like cleanliness, but it isn't my reality.
In...more
More about Jane Washington...
The Soulstoy Inheritance (Beatrice Harrow #2)