Start by marking “Granny's Wonderful Chair” as Want to Read:
Granny's Wonderful Chair

Granny's Wonderful Chair

Seven fairy tales, set in an interesting framework which relates the adventures of the little girl Snowflower and her magical chair at the court of King Winwealth. When Snow-flower, from her nook in the kitchen, said, "Chair of my grandmother, take me to the highest banquet hall," "instantly the chair marched in a grave and courtly fashion out of the kitchen, up the grand ...more
Published March 19th 2007 by Yesterday's Classics (first published 1857)

To ask other readers questions about Granny's Wonderful Chair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Granny's Wonderful Chair

Greisi
Jun 18, 2015 Greisi rated it it was amazing
It was a very beautiful book.I really enjoyed the time that I spent reading it.I don`t have any special favorite character because I liked them all. What I learned from this book was that good people and hardworking ones will always have what they really deserve in the end. ...more
Veronica C. Jefferson
Loved this book!

We all want to go away for a while and enter a beautiful or mysterious place that will take us on a journey through palace, treasures, and magic. This is that such book of open ended stories and tales of witches fairies, creatures of the sea and air. Loved this book...
CLM
Nov 24, 2008 CLM added it
IN an old time, long ago, when the fairies were in the world, there lived a little girl so uncommonly fair and pleasant of look, that they called her Snowflower. This girl was good as well as pretty. No one had ever seen her frown or heard her say a cross word, and young and old were glad when they saw her coming. . .
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I grew up with rocking chairs--had my own little one as a child, and they got bigger as I grew. The idea of a rocker that tells stories and can take you places really appeals to me, which is why I loved this book so much. Originally written in 1856 (and the author was blind!), this is a highly recommended Victorian children's classic.
Lisa Blair
Apr 08, 2014 Lisa Blair rated it really liked it
A cute little public domain book written in Great Britain in an earlier era. A creative writing approach to fairies.

I don't usually read these kind of books, but I found this one a nice, short, enjoyable read.

Four stars for her overall writing ability.
joyce calhoun
Jun 10, 2016 joyce calhoun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

This is an excellent book with excellent stories. It is like having many books in one. My granddaughter will love me to tell her of all the adventures in this great book.
Edma
This book is one of the most magical books I've read in my childhood, I recommend it to all the kids who want some adventure and magic in their lives and I tell you this: You will not be disappointed.
Have a nice read ♥
John
Jul 30, 2008 John rated it it was amazing
My reading copy was published in 1910 by EP Dutton & Co in NY. My other copy was published in 1915. It remains my favorite story book. It's most amazing to me how Frances Brown could write word picture of things she had never seen. Blind from birth everything must exist in her imagination.
Jean
Feb 24, 2012 Jean rated it liked it
Fairy tales I had not heard of before. Fun.
Sara
Jan 27, 2011 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my absolute favourites as a child. Love it still.
It's a morality tale, but the imagery is beautiful.
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
This is one of my favorite books from when I was a young girl. Fairy tales at their best!
Jennifer Heise
Mar 12, 2015 Jennifer Heise rated it liked it
Read this over and over as a child because I read any words in a row. Don't judge me! The tone and text were very dated even in the 1970s. But the stories stuck with me, I admit.
Karla
Jul 25, 2009 Karla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, read-in-2016
A book of fairly-tales from my childhood. I love this book. It has been great reading it to my kids.
Debbie Jean Wheeler
WOW

WOW

This was a great read because of non-stop story telling from the chair. I enjoyed the storyline that drifted when the King was unhappy.
Misanthropist
Nov 12, 2014 Misanthropist rated it really liked it
Jan
Feb 11, 2011 Jan rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Contains a number of interesting short fantasies for children.
Nente
Nente rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2014
hedgehog
hedgehog rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Micaela
Micaela rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Irene
Irene rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2015
Marita Cord
Marita Cord rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2015
Katherine
Katherine rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2015
Phoebe
Phoebe rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2009
Kylene Jones
Kylene Jones rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2012
Catriona
Catriona rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2013
Grampy
Grampy rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2012
Dave Olsher
Dave Olsher rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2015
Carol Cain
Carol Cain rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2014
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2010
Jenny Belanger
Jenny Belanger rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Mousewife
  • No Such Thing as a Witch
  • Rosemary Opens Her Heart (Home at Cedar Creek, #2)
  • Shadow Castle
  • Magic Elizabeth
  • The Astonishing Stereoscope (Hall Family Chronicles #3)
  • Edward Eager's Tales of Magic (Tales of Magic #1 - 7)
  • Freddy and the Bean Home News
  • Harding's Luck (Fabian Time Fantasies, #2)
  • Saturday, the Twelfth of October