Tampa Burn (Doc Ford, #11)

Tampa Burn (Doc Ford Mystery #11)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  1,111 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Over the course of ten novels, Randy Wayne White's acclaim has taken extraordinary leaps. "White is willing to take risks," says the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, "which is why he's one of the few deserving of the title writer." And in Tampa Burn, the risks have never been greater.

They've taken our son, Marion. In all his life, Marion "Doc" Ford has been passionately, irresp...more
Published May 24th 2004 by Putnam Adult

Charles Duvel
Not having ready anything by Mr. White before I was interested to see what all of the fuss is about since he is a very popular author. I can't say I was overwhelmed with this novel. His depiction of Florida cities and towns around the state are pretty spot on, but the story just seemed to drag on in some places. So many characters were introduced (maybe for future novels)it seemed like you almost needed a flow chart to keep track. I recommend you check this author out at the library before you p...more
Nancy
Nancy 5 Stars; Ron 5 stars
Gary Anderson
Randy Wayne White’s thriller series is excellent entertainment. Set in and around the Gulf Coast of Florida, these books star semi-retired government assassin turned marine biologist Doc Ford and an appealing cast of supporting characters.

Reading these books in order is best, beginning with Sanibel Flats. I’m still working my way through the series, and I just finished the eleventh installment, Tampa Burn. Although not the best book in the series, it features a bad guy who is fun to despise. Tam...more
Hal Brodsky
Hard to believe this is Randy Wayne White's 11th Doc Ford Book.
Hard to believe I have read and enjoyed 11 of these (as well as his non-fiction "Batfishig in the Rainforest" one of the more delightful essay collections I have ever laid my hands and eyes on ... he also has some pre-Doc Ford fiction books which can best be described as, I dunno, "exploitation trash" ?)
This novel features Doc (named after the Steinbeck character in "Cannery Row"...really!) and the growing cast of characters from the...more
Bob
Doc Ford is a former black ops assassin now running his own business supplying biologicals from the ocean to various customers. He gets a visit from a woman he had an affair with when he was operating in a small Central American Banana Republic and she informs him that their son, now a teen has been kidnapped. The kidnapper is a notorious killer known as “Incendiario” who is working for the woman’s ex-husband, a General in a rebel group trying to take over the Government. That’s the ground work...more
Jim
A Marion "Doc" Ford mystery from Randy Wayne White. Follows the story of a marine biologist & sometime C.I.A. operative. Ford's son is kidnapped in a small country down in Central America, and Ford has to help the boy's biological mother get him back from kidnappers. The story runs all over the southern portion of Florida. A few chase scenes break out and some good action scenes do play out. The plot is very slow plodding along. Too long at 394 pages, "Tampa Burn" drags along for long period...more
Book Lady
The 11th in the Doc Ford series: a marine biologist and mostly retired special ops agent who is based on Sanibel Island, Florida. When I retired I missed four of the middle books of the series and would recommend reading them in order; as I am now scrambling to connect the story lines and people that were introduced in these books.

I like this action oriented series with memorable characters and interesting biological/Florida information. Although this book is not one of my favorites, I want to m...more
Marc
This is my favorite Doc Ford story. Not only do you get a feel for all of Florida (which I've only been to 3-4 times), but you get to see more than you'd see from a rental car or I-75.

Doc has to deal with his past a little more in this one, not to mention his bud Tomlinson is far more wrapped up in this one. And our evildoer has a supporting cast of crazies that make for a really fun read.

The downside of this book, it's the last one our library has on hand, and I have to get the rest through ILL...more
Carolyn (in SC) C234D
I wrote in 2006: "Doc Ford's son has been abducted by a maniac. I didn't care too much for the side elements throughout the story related to Tomlinson. The stories are interesting enough without this business."

Unfortunately I can no longer remember details of this book, and wonder what the "side elements" are to which I referred. At any rate, I enjoy the Doc Ford series very much, and should be able to find one that I haven't read yet; it's been a while.
Joyce
This is my third White treatment with Doc Ford. In this one, Doc's son, by the one woman in his life he thought he loved, is kidnapped. His current lady friend leaves town and Tomlinson and Doc are becoming estranged. There is sufficient action, both physical and mental, to keep the most particular reader engrossed. And, better yet, we learn still more about Doc and Tomlinson. Good reading!
Whikmn
Another great read about Doc Ford & friends. I have read all of the newer books, going back and reading them in order. Gaining more insight of the older characters, for instance I didn't know that Tomlinson had lost memory of several years of his life. You'll have to read it to find out more.
Bryan Bentley
Dec 26, 2012 Bryan Bentley is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
First person Dr. Ford's son is kidnapped and most of the dialogue is about the Miami skyline, art deco architecture, bar fight not pertinent to the story, ...?
Instead of telling us what a cool self-absorbed guy he is he should be demonstrating
only 25% in though - still time
David Ward
Tampa Burn by Randy Wayne White (G.P.Putnam's Sons 2004)(fiction - mystery) finds the love of Ford's life, Pilar, up in Florida from Central America chasing the evil kidnapper Praxades Lourdes who has taken Doc's and Pilar's teenaged son Laken. My rating: 6/10, finished 8/27/12.
E Dean
Great mystery novel with many twists and turns. Reading about complex characters engaging in a wild tale with various developments in a variety of settings, primarily in Florida and the Gulf Coast, was an engaging experience. This one has to be one of his best.
Ace
Doc Ford's son has been abducted by a crazed burn victim who has intentions of using the boys face for a face implant. Doc races against the clock to save his son. Another great yarn spun by Randy Wayne White, our modern day John D. MacDonald.
Chuck
A story about the abduction of the son of an undercover intelligence
agent's son. Takes place on Florida's west coast. Pretty good plot but
the introspective thought processes of the protagonists are a little much.
Kathy
Fun quick read, especially after being in Sanibel where the author has a restaurant named after the main character Doc Ford, a former gov't assassin, who gets pulled back in after his son is kidnapped.
P.e.
Started out ok and then got slow or boring. Never did pick up again for me.Did not care for it thought it was going to be something more ,I never read anything by this person before and probably won't again.
Jimmy Henderson
Page turner deluxe, like most of these Doc Ford novels. Not as much back story, so a new reader of this series might not want to start here as you might miss some of the subtleties...a very nice read, though
Dad
Typical Doc. Ford action novel. Topics of special interest include politics in South America, burn treatment, and circus people living in FL during the offseason.
Donald
Every RWW is fast paced, well written and fun.

Tampa Burns was no exception -- well done sir!

Can't wait til my next visit to Sanibel and Doc Ford's!!!
Mlg
Doc Ford is dealing with the kidnapping of his son and a crazed escapee from an asylum who gets his kicks by burning people alive.
Steve
Best book of the series so far. Great character development and un predictable plot. Enjoyed it from beginning to end.
Shawn
Like all the Doc Ford books, exciting and human. Paricularly fun for someone who knows old Florida.
Pat
Doc Ford's son is kidnapped by a psychotic. Dick Hill narrated. Not my favorite, but entertaining.
Kristi
I really am liking the Doc Ford novels, maybe because I'm a local, but these are pretty good reads :)
Barb
I love everything RWW writes, but this one got a bit too graphic for me. VERY bad guy in this one.
Florence Primrose
Doc Ford gets involved in a central American kidnapping of his son. A quick interesting read.
  • Key West Connection
  • The Mango Opera
  • Blackwater Sound (Thorn, #7)
  • Torpedo Juice (Serge Storms, #7)
  • The Night Stalker (Jack Carpenter #2)
  • Bahamarama
  • Force Of Nature (Joe Pickett, #12)
  • One Fearful Yellow Eye (Travis McGee #8)
  • Florida Straits
aka Carl Ramm, Randy Striker

Randy Wayne White (born 1950) is an American writer of crime fiction and non-fiction adventure tales. He has written best-selling novels and has received awards for his fiction and a television documentary. He is best known for his series of crime novels featuring the retired NSA agent Doc Ford, a marine biologist living on the Gulf Coast of southern Florida. White has...more
More about Randy Wayne White...
Sanibel Flats (Doc Ford, #1) Deep Shadow (Doc Ford, #17) Captiva The Heat Islands (Doc Ford, #2) Ten Thousand Islands