Start by marking “A Touch Of Frost (Inspector Frost, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Touch Of Frost (Inspector Frost, #2)

A Touch Of Frost (Inspector Frost #2)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  932 ratings  ·  59 reviews
Investigating a local junkie's death, unpopular Detective Inspector Jack Frost watches things go from bad to worse as he stalks a runaway teenager, a burglar, a hit-and-run driver, and a tabloid criminal known as the Hooded Terror.
Published May 1st 1995 by Bantam (first published November 12th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about A Touch Of Frost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Touch Of Frost

Brandon
Aug 05, 2012 Brandon rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Brandon by: Alaina
Despite the fact that I thoroughly enjoyed Frost At Christmas, I put off picking up the sequel for several months (nearly 8 to be exact). After finishing it, I feel like an idiot for waiting so long. I can easily state that I will not be making this mistake twice. The third book is ready to go and I’ll be diving in shortly.

Frost hates doing any sort of formal report. In fact, he hates it so much that he’ll take on an unreasonable amount of additional work to avoid the inevitable paperwork that w
From BBC Radio 4 - Extra Debut:
Jack Frost is a tough and rude detective and does it all his way, but has he come a cropper? Stars Derek Martin and June Brown.
Joe
"Plan? Since when did I ever make plans? I shall just barge in and hope for the best."

Dishevelled, disorganized Inspector Jack Frost is more a gambler than a hound dog or a Sherlock. He has a gift for flushing out his quarry. He enrages his bosses but they can't get rid of him since he is the case solver.

Character interplay and dialog is very funny. I love British mild profanity.
Terry
R.D. Wingfield's Jack Frost is quite a bit racier than David Jason's TV version. A less likable crude bumbler with hopelessly disorganized sleuthing skills whose intuition cannot overcome his ineptitude. Furthermore, Frost's constant comments and preoccupation with women as sex objects would target him for eviscerated in today's PC press and legions of feminists. It certainly would never make it to the boob tube(pun intended) in it's expurgated form.Still,you want to meld the wonderful qualities ...more
Ron
Enjoyed this book. Usually don't want to start a series anywhere other than at the beginning, but, this one slipped through that crack.

I had it in a list to order from the library when I noticed that the book was pulled from the library system. None of the others, just this one. Later that afternoon, my wife said that she'd seen a Frost book in the giveaway bin and had grabbed it for me. Turned out it was the same book that I'd seen taken out of circulation. And, neither one of us being of a mi
Matt
As a long-time fan of A Touch Of Frost on the TV, I was delighted to find this in a charity shop. Of course, having seen David Jason's performance of one of the most loveable characters in the TV crime canon, it is impossible to divorce yourself from his mental picture when reading it in print.

With that in mind, I proceed.

The book itself was impossible to put down. The restless (practically superhuman) energy that Frost puts into his never-ending day is infectious, and there isn't even time to b
Pat
Detective Inspector Jack Frost, offically on duty, is nevertheless determined to sneak off to a colleague's leaving party. But first the corpse of a well-known local junkie is found blocking the drain of a Denton public lavatory - and then, when Frost attempts to join the revels later on, the nubile daughter of a wealthy businessman is reported missing.

Sleepy Denton has never known anything like the crime wave which now threatens to submerge it. A robbery occurs at the town's notorious strip joi
Tyrone
DI Frost is having a bad day. While the rest of the station is enjoying a retirement party, which Frost is determined to attend, he has been called out to the death of a well known local addict in a flooded public toilet.
His every attempt to slope off and attend the party are further frustrated by what can only be called a crimewave of epic porportions, which he and a few other officers, not in the favour of Mullet, are trying to hold the line against tide of crime afflicting Denton.
Frost, in hi
Madonna
Liked the mystery a lot. Missed the poetry of the first book in the series; Wingfield really hooked me in the first book with his writing.
As in the first book I ended up liking the new sidekick, Webster. As in the first book I was first annoyed by the sidekick's attitude towards Frost and his approach to police work. Webster is doubly arrogant--thinks he's too good for Denton Division AND is a "fallen" man. However, I believe he does change his mind about Frost.
Frost continues to be coarse, but
Christine Blachford
After reading the mammoth Crimson Petal, I needed something a bit lighter to read. I want to say easy-going, but that’s not really the right word for these Frost books.

I read the first in the series a while ago, and was keen to see what hijinks Mr Frost could get up to this time out. It’s more of the same, of course, Frost paired up with a younger partner who gets frustrated at his lacksadaisical ways but is ultimately impressed when the mysteries are solved.

There’s something about the way Wingf
Nick
To some extent, Wingfield seems to have hit his stride with this second Frost novel, which is funnier and faster-paced than the first. Unfortunately, it's also more offensively chauvinist: every female character is a sex object and there are jokes about rape that just wouldn't fly these days. While this is probably a true reflection of what the police was like in the 1980s and early 1990s, it's written in such a way that the reader is clearly expected to share the joke. If you can overlook this, ...more
Stuart Langridge

SUMMARY:
The sleepy English town of Denton has never known a crime wave like this--a robbery at a notorious strip joint, a hit-and-run whose chief suspect is the pampered son of a local MP, the kidnapping of a wealthy businessman's daughter and a series of violent rapes. Detective Jack Frost strives to solve his caseload with typical aplomb.

Rajnish Sharma
An unusual detective, unorthodox ways, a rotten sense of humour, disregard to authority an example how ..the detective should not be like this,,,, but he dabbles with multiple cases,,, with accomplished effeciency, and some how solving them all, by hook or by crook,,,, Jack Frost a refreshing change from well suited , booted elegant detectives,,, he looks human not some super cop,,,.although the plot was too tedious, too many subplots and excessive intermingleness of events and character some wh ...more
Rog Harrison
This was in the library when I returned "Hard Frost" but by this time I had already started "Winter Frost" so it was a pity it was not there last time so I could have read the books in order they were published.

However this was actually the first Frost book I ever read probably about twenty years ago but I did not remember much of the story though I did remember some of the things which happened. To be honest some of the characters and events did not quite ring true with me but the story rolls a
Bill
Very enjoyable read. As I read through it, I started to remember the episode that was based on the book and I think was fairly faithful to the story for the tv episode. Frost was what you expect, curmudgeonly, scruffy, imperfect and probably a bit more politically incorrect than on the TV series. But at the same time, he is still very sympathetic to those he feels deserves it. Mullett is if anything even more sycophantic and self-absorbed. Almost too much goes on, but it flows well and keeps you ...more
Gary M.
This was the second book in the Frost series and if you only know the character from the TV series you will be in for a bit of a shock when you tackle the book. The Frost of the books is a much more seedy character than the TV version and he takes far more chances. The book is structured very much like the first book as we follow Frost through a series of investigations which all tie together neatly at the end.I've read the first Two frost books back to back in a couple of weeks and I can't find ...more
Marti
inspector jack frost is an outrageous character who definitely does not do things by the book. he is unkempt, doesn't follow directions well, and doesn't respect his superiors the way that he should, but he still manages to solve cases. in this book he is partnered with dtective constable martin webster who got canned by another police force. the two of them seem to work well together. this is not your typical police story, but it is very entertaining. i read most of this while using my stationa ...more
Sylvia Auclair
I really enjoyed this book! First of all, I love British police procedurals. Plus I loved the main character, Frost - he is so disorganized and scattered, yet he gets the job done; while the organized and focused detective, who gets all the credit, didn't actually solve anything. It's well written, combining many varied plot lines into a cohesive whole and in the end Frost solves each case, though not all of them as expected. Plenty of surprises and a very fun ride!
Alisa
My annual Christmas book of a TV series. Both the story and the character, the style and the philosophy, were close to what I was used to on screen, though Frost was cruder and more lascivious than on ITV. A busy (but not intricate) plot for a mystery, a sort of crazed zig-zagging back and forth from one incident to another. It seems this kind of half-attention and interruption might be the way real police life is. A diversion, and a curiosity satisfied.

Anna
The most outragous and insubordinate man in Denton police station is still in action no matter what Superintendant tries to do. Whole station is at colleagues's retirement party and Jack Frost is determined to go there. But there is one "but". Jack is on duty and trying to solve few cases at once - murders, rapes and one hit-and-run probably done by son of wealthy local MP. Frost is ironic, harsh and doing his job in effective, but not according to procedure way.
Brian Steed
I started reading these after seeing the David Jason adaptations on TV. The TV version fell pretty far from the tree, as these books are raunchier, funnier, grittier, and even better than the televised versions. Jason’s Frost is like a castrated version of the Wingfield original. A lot of the humor is crass and juvenile, and I loved it. I remember reading these books in the hallways of OSU between classes and trying to keep my giggles to myself.
Gretchen
This is another of the DI Jack Frost British police investigation mysteries, and my evaluation of it is the same as that of Winter Frost. It’s humorous, witty, and complexly plotted with multiple crime investigations going on at the same time. There’s enough characterization and office politics to aid the humor and engage the reader, although the plot is quite engaging. The book is long (500+ pages), and difficult to put down.
Pam
I can see Insp. Jack Frost in my mind. Slightly overweight with wrinkled and crumpled clothing. His higher ups disdain him, and would do anything to transfer him. On his side, he makes cutting and funny remarks to his superiors. Some are heard by them - some not. This volume deals with home robberies, a 15 year old runaway, and a serial rapist. Frost goofs up frequently but his intuition works well. An enjoyable series.
Kgwhitehurst
Generally, good, but a bit chaotic. A little too much coincidence, probably, for most people's tastes. Jack Frost is not necessarily a likeable character, but he's a good copper who knows his community well. The twits he has to circumvent and/or deal with amongst the police are almost worse than the criminals.
Beth Dewar
Nov 21, 2008 Beth Dewar is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic series of books by R.D.Wingfield. Great British detective series featuring a "Columbo" type detective, Inspector Jack Frost. Made into a fantastic television series by the BBC, available at NetFlix, and starring David Jason as Jack Frost. I got all 5 novels in the series....all very entertaining.
Bill Smith
The Insp Frost books are some of the best crime/mystery stories I have read. These are a must read for those who enjoy a well written crime story with a lovable but flawed hero. Very hard to put down and sadly there are only 6 books. After you have read them all you will wish there were far more.
Christine
really good read plenty of detective work going on tramp murdered in the public toilets, a rapist at large aimed at young girls, a policeman shot and an innocent man accused of his murder plenty to keep you going
Pam Boardman
The author combines comedy and drama. He creates excellent characters especially Frost and Mullet. The police station is chaotic with so many things happening all at once Another excellent book
C. Stuchl
Frost is like Columbo. Scruffy, wrinkled, and seems inept. Ha, what a surprise, in his bumbling way he solves the crimes. I really like this series. Light and fun.
David
A thoroughly enjoyable rambling read, that cleverly holds interest by introducing several crimes to be solved by a character who is offensive, irrational and funny. Frosts attitude to women is appaling and sadly probably the more realistic for that. It is the characterisation that grabs and the dialogue that holds the attention seamlessly, so he can almost be forgiven whatever the intention.
  • First Frost (Detective Jack Frost Prequel, #1)
  • A Killing Kindness (Dalziel & Pascoe, #6)
  • Dancing with the Virgins (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #2)
  • Orchestrated Death A Mystery Introducing Inspector Bill Slider (Bill Slider,#1)
  • Last Seen Wearing (Inspector Morse, #2)
  • A Guilty Thing Surprised (Inspector Wexford, #5)
  • A Dedicated Man  (Inspector Banks, #2)
Rodney David Wingfield was a prolific writer of radio crime plays and comedy scripts, some for the late Kenneth Williams, star of the Carry On films. His crime novels featuring DI Jack Frost have been successfully adapted for television as A Touch of Frost starring David Jason. Wingfield was a modest man, shunning the London publicity scene in favour of a quite life in Basildon, Essex, with his wi ...more
More about R.D. Wingfield...
Frost At Christmas (Inspector Frost, #1) A Killing Frost (Inspector Frost, #6) Night Frost (Inspector Frost, #3) Hard Frost (Inspector Frost, #4) Winter Frost (Inspector Frost, #5)