Start by marking “A History of Private Life: From Pagan Rome to Byzantium” as Want to Read:
A History of Private Life: From Pagan Rome to Byzantium

A History of Private Life: From Pagan Rome to Byzantium (A History of Private Life #1)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  508 ratings  ·  36 reviews
First of the widely celebrated & sumptuously illustrated series, this book reveals in intimate detail what life was like in the ancient world. Behind the vast panorama of the pagan Roman empire, the reader discovers the intimate daily lives of citizens & slaves--from concepts of manhood & sexuality to marriage & the family, the roles of women, chastity & ...more
Published March 20th 1987 by Belknap Press/Harvard University Press (Cambridge/London) (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about A History of Private Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A History of Private Life

Cat
This book is the product of the methodology created by the annales school of historians in france. Founded in the late 20's, the Annales school pioneered the use of the methods and teachings from other schools of social science in the service of history. This approach spurned a focus on wars and politics in favor of a focus on "everyday life" i.e. the life of non-presidents and generals.

The general editors of this book (Durby and Aries) were pioneers of the approach, along with it's most famous
Gabrielle
I like reading about this time, and about ancient Rome and Greece, but the further I got in the book, the more it read like sawdust. Lots of information, of course, but the writers could not draw me in. I was also disinterested in some of the topics. They could have been more gossipy like Suetonius and more animated like Simon Schama. Too bad. I hope the other books in this series are better written.
Paul
This is a worthwhile study of the (broadly construed) topic of 'private life'. Why the seemingly obvious recapitulation of the title? Because different people mean different things by 'private life', including the authors of the five separate studies of which this volume is comprised; this means that some subjects covered in one chapter (sexual practices, e.g., or the role of the state) are not included in other chapters.

In this sense this is less a coherent book than it is a compendium of five
Heather Campbell
I'm finished with this book. It took a while. These guys are amazing I have to say. Eventhough I see flaws in Foucault's paradigm, his protoges do him justice. I yearn for more written about women's lived experience but they don't speculate to appease me. They keep to their sources. At times history can look like a vast conspiracy amongst landowning light colored males and this series isn't going to be any different--new cultural historians don't have the "well, people did the best they knew how ...more
Rebecca
Parts were absolutely fascinating, other parts bored me, not because of bad writing or poor scholarship (quite the opposite) but just because there's only so much interest I have in the physical architecture of the Roman Domus. Reading this was certainly a commitment, but I definitely learned a lot about the private live of the Ancient Romans and the early Franks, so that makes it worth it.
Mike
Part one of a five part history, written in the fashion of the Annales school. Old-timey Rome. For the most part the focus stays on everyday life as it was lived, not the exceptional events that often dominate historical narratives.

This particular installment contains one of my favorite stories about sodomy between newlyweds.
Noelle M
Absolutely fabulous book of lengthy essays about "organic" social structure in the ancient western world before the collapse of late Iron Age Roman society. This work contributed greatly to my conception of the world in which the New Testament took place. Five stars plus five more as far as I am concerned!
Inna
Brilliant (and brilliantly written) overview of private life in Rome and then in Byzantium and in early medieval Europe. I learned a lot.
Kelly
Nov 12, 2009 Kelly marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This is a to-read. Damn new GR tool that doesn't let me change shelves on the crappy old IE at work.
Erik Graff
May 27, 2013 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: classical history fans
Recommended to Erik by: Tom Miley
Shelves: history
This, the first volume of what I believe has become a series of five, is a cultural history of ancient Rome by means of an assemblage of essays on various topics by an international cast of authorities. To put together such a collection in a coherent manner is no mean feat as the far inferior subsequent volume on mediaeval life demonstrates. Here, however, the editors pull it off.

A valuable supplement to the usual political and high culture histories of Rome.
Kate Lansky
Sep 20, 2009 Kate Lansky is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This is a time period I'm pretty familiar with, but still - I'm learning quite a bit. There's a lot of information in here that, as a writer, makes you think about the whys and wherefores of day-to-day life in different cultures through history and throughout the world. There's a chapter by Brown in here too, who I love, so that's particularly awesome.
José Antonio
Mar 23, 2014 José Antonio rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cualquier persona interesada en Historia
Un trabajo excelente, que nos ofrece una mirada poco usual a la antigüedad, lejos de los grandes sucesos o los nombres sonoros. La lectura se hace amena y fácil gracias a la división por apartados específicos (que, en ocasiones, se relacionan entre sí) como el matrimonio, los esclavos, los libertos, las relaciones clientelares...
Francielli Camargo
Livro lento com poucas partes interessantes para quem não tem um conhecimento prévio sobre esse período. Foram poucas as vezes que eu li sentindo que eu estava aprendendo algo a mais da história. Espero que os outros livros desta série consigam me prender e informar mais.
Thorlakur
Not the best I've read in these series. Feels more like a collection of essays (which it indeed is) and some chapters read as archeological reports, that do not make a pleasant read for the layman. Lacking in cohesion, but still has very interesting points.
Colin
A surprisingly comprehensive collection of essays on private life in ancient Rome and late antiquity, from pagan times through the rise of Christianity. Highly recommended to those with an interest in private life during those periods.
Mandy
Makes you feel like a bit of a peeping Tom looking in on the lives of those dirty Romans. I loved it. I want to read some more of these histories of private lives. Makes history come alive for me (and my salacious curiousity).
Jonathan
Engaging short articles rendering scholarly understanding popular. Too specific for a casual interest, but tremendously worthwhile for those pulled ever so slightly more strongly.
Michael
Great illustrations and art included in the history. Great research went into this book. It's amazing what I learned on the pagan influence of Christianity.
Jane
Whew! The section on northern Africa had so much about architecture I had trouble staying with it, but necessary to the thesis.
2bnallegory
A look into the lives of the Romans during the time, many interesting facts and bits. Good if you enjoy this time in history.
Susinok
A really fascinating and detailed look into every day life in the time period. This is a great series.
Romualdo Alves
Permite a compreensão do modo de vida associado ao contexto histórico, político e social. Fantástico!
Annelise L'Estrange
This book was very good. It shows human society through time in a whole new way.
Cera
Jan 22, 2012 Cera marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
A History of Private Life: Vol. 1, From Pagan Rome to Byzantium GT2400 .H5713
C.
Dec 25, 2012 C. marked it as sounds-interesting  ·  review of another edition
I should rather say "sounds fascinating" than "sounds interesting".
Amelia Voorsanger
Amazing insight into history and its similarities to today's life
Kris
Book was a bit of a slog in places and took forever to get through.
Elizabeth Coleman
Interesting, but lacks citations and has strange translation issues.
  • Revelations of the Medieval World (A History of Private Life, #2)
  • Passions of the Renaissance (A History of Private Life, #3)
  • From the Fires of Revolution to the Great War (A History of Private Life, #4)
  • The Timetables of History: A Horizontal Linkage of People and Events
  • The Kindness of Strangers: The Abandonment of Children in Western Europe from Late Antiquity to the Renaissance
  • The World of Late Antiquity 150-750 (Library of World Civilization)
  • The Fires of Vesuvius: Pompeii Lost and Found
  • Women's Life in Greece and Rome: A Source Book in Translation
  • Greek Fire, Poison Arrows & Scorpion Bombs: Biological and Chemical Warfare in the Ancient World
  • Caesars' Wives: The Women Who Shaped the History of Rome
  • By the Sword: A History of Gladiators, Musketeers, Samurai, Swashbucklers, and Olympic Champions
  • The Inheritance of Rome: Illuminating the Dark Ages, 400-1000
  • Life in a Medieval City
  • A Short History of Byzantium
  • The World of Odysseus
  • Goddesses, Whores, Wives and Slaves: Women in Classical Antiquity
  • The Weaker Vessel
  • Rome and Jerusalem: The Clash of Ancient Civilizations
Paul Veyne is a French archaeologist and historian, and a specialist on Ancient Rome. A former student of the École normale supérieure and member of the École française de Rome, he is now honorary professor at the Collège de France.

Professeur honoraire au Collège de France, Paul Veyne est un des plus grands historiens français de l’Antiquité romaine. Ses nombreuses publications sur la sociologie r
More about Paul Veyne...
Did the Greeks Believe in Their Myths? Foucault: His Thought, His Character Quand notre monde est devenu chrétien (312-394) Comment on écrit l'histoire L'impero greco romano