Start by marking “The House of the Dead/Poor Folk” as Want to Read:
The House of the Dead/Poor Folk

The House of the Dead/Poor Folk

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,054 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
The House of the Dead and Poor Folk, by Fyodor Dostoevsky, is part of the Barnes & Noble Classicsseries, which offers quality editions at affordable prices to the student and the general reader, including new scholarship, thoughtful design, and pages of carefully crafted extras. Here are some of the remarkable features of Barnes & Noble Classics:
All editions are be
Published April 25th 2004 by Barnes & Noble Classics (first published 1861)

To ask other readers questions about The House of the Dead/Poor Folk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House of the Dead/Poor Folk

Matt
Mar 25, 2015 Matt rated it liked it
I read both the House of the Dead and Poor Folk in this dual B&N Classic Edition. Both of these stories are early works by Dostoevsky and I can tell he hadn't "found himself" yet. These books are not good places to jump in to reading his work. I started with Crime & Punishment and suggest starting there for anyone interested in reading Dostoevsky. These novels did have their moments though. In Poor Folk, I sympathized with the main character and felt what he was going through. House of t ...more
Frankie
Nov 25, 2009 Frankie rated it really liked it
Shelves: russian
What always strikes me about The House of the Dead is the journalistic style. You don't see much of it from Dostoevsky, though I am looking forward to his Writer's Diary that I recently purchased. The succession of the plot is told, not by dated entries, but by topic – ie, "The Bathhouse," "Prison Animals," "An Escape," etc. This allows him to divulge varying lessons and even psychological analogies on every facet of the prison experience. The psychology of each character, convict or officer, is ...more
Andy
Jun 19, 2013 Andy rated it liked it
This is an interesting book which follows Dostoevsky's time in a Siberian labor camp. It doesn't really have a story-line, so much as its a series of recollections and anecdotes. This book often goes on tangents, and Dostoevsky feels entirely free to do so. For example, several chapters on his time in the hospital are mostly about corporal punishment.

In his novels and stories Dostoevsky often described states of utter destitution and squalor in detail, this book is no exception. He describes in
B
Jun 01, 2012 B rated it really liked it
The book was great, or shall I say the both stories were great. I have to admit it took me longer to read because The House of the Dead portion, was very detailed. If you wanted a picture of what a Siberian labor camp was like, trust me you'll get your fill. At times I found it hard to keep reading for long spurts of time.

The second story Poor Folk, I loved the layout. The format of letters I found was appealing, I think you can imagine yourself pouring your sentiments into a letter and hoping t
Trisha
Sep 13, 2010 Trisha rated it it was amazing
The House of the Dead is a semi-autobiographical accounting of his time in the Siberian prison. While many of the stories, experiences, and even the people are true-to-life, Dostoevsky created a fictional narrator, Alexandr Petrovich, who is serving ten years for murdering his wife. By creating a fictional character, Dostoevsky was able to insert biting political and social commentary into his writing; quite the brave thing to do after he had already been imprisoned for disagreeing with the gove ...more
Sasha
Aug 04, 2013 Sasha rated it it was amazing
Picked up Dostoevsky this past year. After reading a few books only one thing has stuck with me. That happiness, no matter how intense, is superficial and momentary. It is only a matter of time before reality sets in, before the flaws and defects of the world envelop everything. If true, maybe Dante got it wrong. Maybe he overlooked the question of how God fearing people are to reconcile their belief in God's wisdom and goodness with the tragedy of human life. Maybe he missed something. Maybe th ...more
Julie
Jan 28, 2015 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
It took me a long time to read the house of the dead. I finished it last year, and have yet to move on to poor folk. I remember liking the house of the dead, but of course i like all dostoevsky.

I'm not quite sure how I felt about Poor Folk. I couldn't relate to a lot of it, but some parts were quite heart rending (if that's the right phrase)

I really liked the story in the Appendix though. It was written by Dostoevsky about an experience he had. It was short, but interesting to read something aut
Nicholas
Jan 18, 2012 Nicholas rated it liked it
I do not recommend the translator Constance Garnett, but the two stories in this book act as a modest introduction to Dostoevsky. The House of the Dead lacks action because it reads like a concentration camp novel as it describes the prison camps during Tsarist Russia. Poor Folk was Dostoevsky's first story which comes in epistolary form. Neither are exceptionally outstanding works, but they do make one appreciate Feodor's other writings more.
Melodee
Apr 04, 2013 Melodee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: misc, 19th-century
The House of the Dead is quite similar to Solzhenitsyn's One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich. While the latter told of only one day in the labor camp, the former relates an entire year's existence in that environment. It is interesting to learn of the prisoner's mental and emotional changes as his term plays out. The privations in this book did not seem quite so extreme as in Ivan Denisovich. This is a real insight into 19th century Russia.
Jared
Jan 03, 2011 Jared rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I give Dead house a 5 and Poor Folk a 3. So it ends up as a 4. You can see the radical development of Dostoyevsky by reading both of these books. Poor Folk was written before he was in Russian Goulog, and Dead house was after. Regardless he is a masterful writer even in Poor Folk. But Dead House set a genre of Goulog Literature.
Joe
Dec 09, 2010 Joe rated it really liked it
A bleak but in ways, morally uplifitng look at life in a Siberian prison. Dostoyevsky wrote in fiction about his real life experiences as a political prisoner. Obviously, this is not light reading but it is absolutely one of Dostoyevsky's most accessible stories. I will return to read Poor Folk at some other point.
h
Jun 15, 2007 h rated it liked it
Shelves: 2007, school, translated
read for my nation, empire, and literature class. often surprising semi-fictional memoir of dostoevsky's time in prison. worthwhile.
Kalia
May 14, 2008 Kalia rated it it was amazing
I didn't read Poor Folk, but House of the Dead is awesome!! I read it for a Soviet Lit class. I <3 Dostoevsky :)
Greg
Aug 16, 2008 Greg rated it really liked it
Fictionalized memoir of Dostoevsky's time in the Gulag. His most accessible work. Great stuff.
Rachel
Jun 15, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
Fyodor is my man! Not my very favorite of his, but it's still a pretty fair read.
Wessam
Dec 31, 2012 Wessam rated it really liked it
One of his most amazing and intelligent books.
Jesus Ambriz
Jan 08, 2013 Jesus Ambriz rated it it was ok
Read: "Poor Folk" (2 stars).
Nini
Aug 10, 2013 Nini added it
amazing ...
Huseyin Akbaba
Huseyin Akbaba rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Tittylongballs
Tittylongballs marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Ania Strzezek
Ania Strzezek rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2016
NoMaster
NoMaster marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Pamela Smith
Pamela Smith rated it it was ok
Apr 22, 2016
Baque Wiggin
Baque Wiggin marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
A. Dawes
A. Dawes marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Nick Riso
Nick Riso is currently reading it
Apr 20, 2016
Andrea Kennerley
Andrea Kennerley marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
  • Billy Budd and The Piazza Tales
  • Silas Marner and Two Short Stories (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
  • Great American Short Stories: From Hawthorne to Hemingway
  • The Turn of the Screw, The Aspern Papers and Two Stories (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
  • Ward No. 6 and Other Stories
  • Founding America: Documents from the Revolution to the Bill of Rights
  • Essential Dialogues of Plato
  • Six Plays: Peer Gynt / A Doll's House / Ghosts / The Wild Duck / Hedda Gabler / The Master Builder
  • The Communist Manifesto and Other Writings
  • The Collected Oscar Wilde (Classics)
  • On the Golden Porch
  • The Tragedy of Pudd'nhead Wilson/Those Extraordinary Twins
  • First Love and Other Stories (World's Classics)
  • Nikolai Gogol
  • The Rhetoric & The Poetics of Aristotle (Modern Library)
  • Dostoevsky: A Writer in His Time
  • Tolstoy: A Russian Life
  • The Portable Nineteenth-Century Russian Reader

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Fyodor Mikhaylovich Dostoyevsky (Russian: Фёдор Михайлович Достоевский), sometimes transliterated Dostoevsky, was a Russian novelist, journalist, and short-story writer whose psychological penetration into the human soul had a profound influence on the 20th century novel.

Dostoyevsky was the second son of a former army doctor. He was educated at home and at a private school. Shortly after the death
More about Fyodor Dostoyevsky...