Start by marking “My Life” as Want to Read:
My Life

My Life

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  358 ratings  ·  15 reviews
This priceless historical document by the Bolshevik leader features firsthand accounts from the top levels of the Russian revolutions of 1905 and 1917. Trotsky chronicles the struggle to consolidate a government run by workers and peasants, along with the rift between Lenin and Stalin and its political consequences.
Published June 5th 2007 by Dover Publications (first published 1929)

To ask other readers questions about My Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Life

Donna
Trotskyists are one of the most reviled groups on the left...and I have been partly or wholly one my entire adult life. That said, it doesn't take a Trotskyist (or even a "TrotskyITE") to enjoy this book.

Think for a moment about living in a house with dirt floors; mud walls three feet thick in which snakes, some of them poisonous, dwell; but you have servants. This is the middle class home into which Trotsky was born.

Initially loathe to broadcast the particulars of his life, which he considered
Jeremy Hicks
My Life is an eyeopening autobiography from the pen of one of the world's greatest revolutionary figures. Learn about the man behind the myth of Leon Trotsky from the man himself. Some of the stories are merely informative while others are positively inspiring, like Trotsky's daring escape by reindeer from his second Siberian exile or his wartime command of the entire Soviet Army by train. Love him or hate him, Leon Trotsky breaks down his life, trials, triumphs, and tribulations from his early ...more
Ryan Milbrath
In all honesty, I tend not to read autobiographies for enjoyment. Attribute it to my major of History and my constant reading of autobiographies and biographies for my education. Also attribute it to my belief that we all embellish, twist, misperceive, misunderstand, or exasperate the situations, relations, and occurrences of our own life when committing the truth of the memory to the written word.

“My Life” was an exception. Trotsky’s autobiography seemed imperative to read, just as Karl Marx’
Lee
Utterly engaging, written with skill and a complete lack of genuine humility as befitting one of the titans of his era. Such a fascinating and divisive historical figure, who's fundamental beliefs could offer lessons in today's modern world.

Having read other biographical works, most recently Robert Service 'Trotsky', I have come to question some of the established facts contained within, however that in no way diminishes an utterly enthralling read.

In short, pure class.
Francene Carroll
I'm a bit surprised that this book has so few ratings. In my opinion it is one of the greatest works of the 20th century. I guess I shouldn't be surprised though, given the hatchet job that has been done on Trotsky's reputation and the Left oppposition (no pun intended). A great revolutionary and a great man, and what a life! This autobiography would make a brilliant film, but I won't hold my breath waiting for it.
بهمن بهمن
leon trotski ya be ghole khode russ ha:lev trotski'i!tarikhe enghelabo khoondam hamintor yaddashthaye roozane,commune paris va barnameye enteghali.zendegie mano tooye avale rahnamayi khoondam va avale daneshgah dobare moroor kardam.kheili baram jale budeh va hast nasresh va zehni ke dare.dar morede shakhsiate siasish bahsi nadarm inja.fagahat mitoonam begam man trotskist nistam amma trotski ra doost daram;)
Dan Regan
Surprisingly void of polemics, this autobiography tells the story of Trotsky's life of revolution without diving too deep into the philosophies behind it. I certainly learned that I know less about social and political systems than I would care to admit. Great read, eloquently and passionately written.
Steven V
This was an exciting account of The Russian Revolution through the eyes of one of its most maligned characters. I learned an immense amount from reading this autobiography.
Ake
the "funny" thing is the last chapter "The Planet Without a Visa" is almost exact the same as the current situation (as of July 2, 2013) with Edward Snowden in Russia
Fuschia
8.5/10, a LOT of detail, feel I missed the big picture, but still compelling and well written but I have questions. Important book to read, worth reading.
Moriart
Вельми цікава біографія революціонера Лейби Бронштейна Троцького має багато повчальний моментів. Особливо актуальна під час Майдану.
Paul
Incredible autobiography. Well-written, sometimes beautiful. And you learn a lot of history and politics as you go along.
Kafkasfriend
A superb and important book valid today as ever. Trotsky remains he commensurate political and social commentator
Edwing
excelente libro lo recomiendo al 100% me encanto de principio a fin¡¡
Natasha
Fascinating book - fascinating life
Jorge Corona
Jorge Corona marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Matthew Griffiths
Matthew Griffiths marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Sai Krishna
Sai Krishna marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Ian
Ian marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Ajibola Amzat
Ajibola Amzat marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Connie
Connie marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Aidan Collis
Aidan Collis marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
McKenzie
McKenzie marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Swaroop Johnson
Swaroop Johnson marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Fahad
Fahad marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Sean Downey
Sean Downey marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Olivia Sanchez
Olivia Sanchez marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
  • The Prophet Armed: Trotsky, 1879-1921
  • Memoirs of a Revolutionary
  • The Civil War in France
  • Left-Wing Communism, an Infantile Disorder: A Popular Essay in Marxian Strategy and Tactics
  • The Origin of the Family, Private Property and the State
  • Ten Days that Shook the World (Value Edition)
  • Reform or Revolution
  • Zombie Capitalism: Global Crisis and the Relevance of Marx
  • Marx's General: The Revolutionary Life of Friedrich Engels
  • Karl Marx
  • Trotsky for Beginners
  • To the Finland Station
Leon Trotsky was a Bolshevik revolutionary and Marxist theorist. He was one of the leaders of the Russian October Revolution, second only to Vladimir Lenin. During the early days of the Soviet Union, he served first as People's Commissar for Foreign Affairs and later as the founder and commander of the Red Army and People's Commissar of War. He was also among the first members of the Politburo.

Aft
More about Leon Trotsky...
The Revolution Betrayed History of the Russian Revolution Fascism: What It Is and How to Fight It Literature and Revolution The Permanent Revolution, Results and Prospects

“The feeling of the supremacy of general over particular, of law over fact, of theory over personal experience, took root in my mind at an early age and gained increasing strength as the years advanced. It was the town that played the major role in shaping this feeling, a feeling which later became the basis for a philosophic outlook on life. When I heard boys who were studying physics and natural history repeat the superstitious notions about “unlucky” Monday, or about meeting a priest crossing the road, I was utterly indignant. I felt that my intelligence had been insulted, and I was on the verge of doing any mad thing to make them abandon their shameless superstitions.” 0 likes