Midnight in Ruby Bayou

Midnight in Ruby Bayou (Donovan #4)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  2,643 ratings  ·  60 reviews
From New York Times bestselling author Elizabeth Lowell comes a tale of adventure and electrifying suspense. Faith Donovan has poured her heart and soul into making exquisite artistic jewelry favored by the rich and famous. Her creations require rubles of the finest quality. To get such gems, Faith, whom experience has taught to trust NO man outside her family, must work w...more
Published June 20th 2000 by William Morrow (first published June 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Midnight in Ruby Bayou, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight in Ruby Bayou

Angela
The fourth book of Elizabeth Lowell's Donovans series, Midnight in Ruby Bayou, is for my money the best of the lot. It's got the most complex of any of the plots in the series up to this point, and since it's a bit longer than the previous ones as well, Lowell has more time to develop the various characters. This time around, the Donovan Sibling Du Jour is Faith, Honor's sister, and we finally get some payoff on the plot point set up in previous books, involving an asshole ex-boyfriend. We've al...more
SesameG
Aug 13, 2012 SesameG is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Does it bother anyone else when an author continually describes the heroine as "smelling like woman"?

Actually, in this book, Faith is either described as smelling like "gardenias and woman" or, to make the meaning more obvious "like gardenias and a night of slow, sultry loving"... Time to take a bath, Faith!
Holly Boehmke
Great until the ending, where it felt as if she were just wrapping up the story. Plus....it got a little graphic and I did NOT expect that. Not to say that I had a huge problem with it. I just had no idea that the book would go so far as to detail those certain events.
Jan Baldocchi
I have spent 5 days reading the entire Donovan Series ! Each book gets better and better! I was totally enthralled by Owen Walker and Faith Donovan, who are multi-layered characters deftly handled by the author. The lush setting of the south mixed with gemology had me in heaven. There were times when I felt like saying,"please pass the crab" that is how engrossing this novel was and will be. You can feel the sweat poring out of your body, the is how real this book makes you feel. I believe Owen...more
Drucilla
Once again, its hard to get a sense of the Donovan of the book. Faith didn't get a lot of face time in the other books and that hurt how we see her. She comes across as self-pitying in this book. On the other hand, Walker's great. I wish we had more of a background on him and his brother, though. The plot definitely twists and turns so you need to read carefully. (view spoiler)...more
Kathleen Freeman
Loved Owen Walker's character, I enjoyed this book as much as the others in the Donovan series, I am sad to see the series end. All the books in this series were interesting and I learned some new things about the various gems that were featured and the locations the books were set in.
Mary
This is the final book in Ms. Lowell's 'Donovans' quartet. I am sorry to see it end. This book is Faith Donovan and Owen Walker's story and it is a good one. I really like these two together. There is a lot of chemistry and humor between them as well as respect and eventually love. Neither of them wants a long-term relationship (for different reasons) but fate has other plans. There is a fair amount of danger and suspense. I didn't want the book to end.

This series has been a good one with stron...more
Barbara
My favorite of the Donovans series--and all of them are good. I wish there were books for Lawe and Justin.
Anita Fleming
Always a treat to revisit a book you have read and find it still enjoyable the second time around. I have just finished the Donovan books and wonder why she didn't do the last two brothers. This book is about Faith, who ended things with an abusive boyfriend and Walker, who couldn't save his brother from being killed. Heavy baggage to bring into a relationship. Faith's friends future father-in-law has commissioned a ruby necklace for the wedding. Faith makes it and all of a sudden a Russian hitm...more
I love this series, but I was a little disappointed in this book. This must have been one of her last before she went strictly suspense. Walker had such potential that she never tapped into in this story. I was so excited to see him and Faith in this story, but there were so many things that weren't realized. There are hints in all the other books about Walker's past and his demons, and it was very glossed over in this book. Although not a bad book, it's definitely more about the mystery than th...more
Clare
The plot of the story was a good one, concerning a museum heist, those searching for the stolen gems and a jewelry artist unwittingly thrust in the middle of the intrigue. However, the whirlwind, head-over-heels love story imbedded amidst the tale detracted from the storyline.
Lulu Jemimah
Aug 30, 2007 Lulu Jemimah rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one yet.
A slow read this is. Faith Donovan and Owen Walker obviously have the hots for each other and their tale is woven in a search for jewelry and exquisite gems. Although I Haven’t been able to get past page 85 in two weeks, it is promising to be a good read. Its just that it is slow in the beginning; too much detail about rubies and gems which I care little about. The attraction between the protagonists is thrown at us in the first chapters which always takes away the thrill. I hope I finish it soo...more
Deb
"I really enjoyed this one, though the sub-plot involving Tiga was a little ... disturbing. The interaction between Faith and Walker was very amusing, and the development of the relationship pretty good. I did find her relationship with her ex to be a stretch - I don't think anyone growing up in such a good family would end up with someone like him.[return][return]Anyway, a good continuation of the Donovan series, with at least a few scenes with everyone from the earlier books for continuity."
Melissa
Absolutely loved this book! The mystery of the Heart of Midnight had me wanting to read faster and fast. A twist at the end and, of course, a happy ending...what more could you ask for :)
Kristen
Least favorite of the 4 books in the series - even though it was well written. The ruby info was interesting. However, toward the end of the book - part of the story line completely turned me off. I had to lay the book aside for a couple of days. Forced myself to finish it (had to make sure I didn't miss any surprises). Again, well written, but not completely to my taste.
Joanne
Faith Donovan makes jewelry and was commissioned to make a piece out of 13 rubes as her best friends wedding gift. Unknown to her, the rubes are stolen from Russia and the mob is looking for them and traced the "heart of Midnight" to her. Her brothers have assigned Walker to protect her and together they have to solve the mystery to save Faith's life.
Richard Stephens
This was the fourth book in the series, so having read the first three made the characters more fun for me. Elizabeth Lowell has a nice way of blending Romance with mystery without feeling like it was forced. Minimal suspense, but enough when combined with everything else. It kept me reading to the end.
Britt
I LOOOOOOOVED this book!!! This has to be my top favorite of the Donovan series (I think). Walker was just the coolest and funniest dude ever....everyone should read this series and fall in love with the Donovan family. (I kinda hope that the parents get their own story)
Karla
So glad I got introduced to the Donovan series. All books were very well written with interesting characters. The suspense and romance was well put together. I can't decide which one i liked best. wish there were a lot more from this family.
C K
This is an author that I have read a lot of and have added her books to my 'keeper' book shelf. Most I have read at least twice and some even more than that. Always in depth characters that anyone can identify with on some level.
Jane
A little bit of a slow start for me, but a good story overall. Follows suit with the other three books. Wish there was one more coming for the Donovan twins. You really can't go wrong with a hot male lead a lot of action a little smut ;)
Anita
This book is very much a book directed to woman but men could definatly would get a good read, i really loved it becuse it has a great love story mixed in with mystery. it really great with a lot of twists and turns.
THEBEAM
ชอบนะเรื่องนี้ มีอะไรให้ลุ้นเยอะดิ
พระเอกก็เก่งเว่อร์ นางเอกก็น่ารักดี
ชอบบทสนทนาของทั้งคู่นะ น่ารักกกกก
ลงตัว เนื้อเรื่องไม่ยืดเยื้อเวื่นเว้อมากมายเหมือนเล่ม 1 กะ 2
แต่ยังไงก็ชอบเล่ม 3 มากกว่า อิอิ
Artha
It was a good read, her characters are good and enjoyable, her plots are good, if she just gets over that romance ain't gonna work, since she's done it to death, then I look forward to some more in this series
Carey
I am such a dork! Once again, I am starting a series with not the first book...someday I'll get this figured out! Good book, some info on rubies and gems, more info for my Cliff Clavin files...
Okay, but not great. I like Faith's character, but would have liked more jewelry design elements, given that this was her story, rather than sloppy accidental international intrigue.
Antoinette
I like books with the setting of the Louisiana low country. I found this one fast-moving, with a lot of local color. The cover with it's black and shiny red design really caught my eye.
Anju Lakhansingh
OMG she has done it again!! Elizabeth Lowell and another amazing book! Love the hero and that second love scene......so hot my glasses got frosted over! Great book!
Kiana
Really good book, full of suspense and romance. Similar to her other novels, but if you liked any of her other books, I would definately recommend it.
Therese
There were some parts this book that dragged a bit for me, but I could tell that he (Owen) respects her (Faith), which helped me like this book more.
  • The Diamond Tiger
  • Soft Focus
  • All the Queen's Men (CIA Spies, #2)
  • Crazy Kisses (Steele Street, #4)
  • Slow Burn (Buchanan-Renard, #5)
  • Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4)
  • After Caroline
19051
Individually and with co-author/husband Evan, Ann Maxwell has written over 60 novels and one non-fiction book. There are 30 million copies of these books in print, as well as reprints in 30 foreign languages. The novels range from science fiction to historical fiction, from romance to mystery to suspense.

In 1982, Ann began publishing as Elizabeth Lowell. Under that name she has received numerous p...more
More about Elizabeth Lowell...
Untamed (Medieval, #1) Amber Beach (Donovan, #1) Die in Plain Sight (Rarities Unlimited, #3) Enchanted (Medieval, #3) Pearl Cove (Donovan, #3)