Start by marking “Secrets and Lies (Truth or Dare, #2)” as Want to Read:
Secrets and Lies (Truth or Dare, #2)

Secrets and Lies (Truth or Dare #2)

Can you keep a secret?
Tenley Reed and Sydney Morgan have never seen eye to eye -- until now. United by a common goal, they are determined to find out who was behind their friend's murder. Joined by Emerson Cunningham, a gorgeous but troubled teen model, the girls start their own investigation. But in the isolated beach town of Echo Bay, it's hard to know who's a friend and
Published May 6th 2014 by Poppy

Abbie
Oct 01, 2014 Abbie rated it really liked it
Oh my gosh! The steaks are higher and more victims are popping up!

What the hell?! Okay first of all, I really enjoyed Truth or Dare. The mystery, the romance, the thrill! And I was really looking forward to this book because I wanted answers. But in the end I'm still dazed and confused.

This is like Pretty Little Liars/Get even/Burn for Burn. I know I'm in for some major mystery madness but I can't help but be drawn in.

So this book picks up where Truth or Dare leaves off. The stakes are higher, a
Melissa Wright
Mar 17, 2016 Melissa Wright rated it liked it
It's a great second companion to the first, it leaves you wanting more and making it hard to put down. Tenely, Emerson and Sydney all become friends, through this and try and find out who the darer is, only to find out it's one dead end after another.
Patrick Salazar
May 09, 2014 Patrick Salazar rated it it was amazing
Could not put this book down. The secrets and betrayals are so crazy.
Janessa H 1
Oct 23, 2016 Janessa H 1 rated it it was amazing

The book Secrets and Lies by Jacqueline Green is a story about three girls getting dared by an unknown darer, a blocked number, and if they don’t do it, their secrets will be exposed to the entire town. Emerson, Tenley, and Sydney all have their dares handed to them differently.The darer brings their past back to life, making them realize they are horrible people. That they have bullied people, done bad things, and in general snotty popular girls in High School. Of course they aren’t. People mak
Alexandra
Mar 24, 2015 Alexandra rated it liked it
For the full version of this review as well as other reviews and features, go to SleepsOnTables.

Secrets and Lies is the next installment of the Truth or Dare series–be sure to check out my review of book 1, Truth or Dare. It’s a book that answered a lot of questions we were left with after Truth or Dare, but at the same time posed a whole lot of new ones. ***Be aware that this review will contain spoilers for book 1, Truth or Dare, so do not read this if you don’t want to be spoiled!***

After Tru
Elisabeth
Nov 07, 2016 Elisabeth rated it it was amazing
WHO is the real darer! You think you know, but then it is not that person! Still in Suspense! Need the last book!
Alice
Jul 09, 2014 Alice rated it liked it
Secrets and Lies picks up right where Truth or Dare ended. Tenley, Sydney, and Emerson have been brought together by secrets and by the murder of their mutual friend. It's pretty apparent from events that the darer / murderer from book one must have an accomplice. This accomplice now continues to send anonymous, threatening messages and even make actual attempts on Tenley’s life. When the girls try to find out the identity of the murderer, they start receiving messages threatening to reveal ...more
Farah Jay
May 26, 2014 Farah Jay rated it really liked it
Secrets and Lies, the second book to the Truth or Dare trilogy, was a real roller coaster ride. The secrets and lies and mysteries and everything about it was great! Before starting this, I picked and Truth or are and tried to remember the characters and events, but I failed miserably. Lucky for me, Secrets and Lies did a great job in recapping everything, and I was able to remember and recognize who was who. As I started reading, Secrets and Lies started off from where Truth or Dare ended. As ...more
Shareda Kelly
Nov 02, 2015 Shareda Kelly rated it really liked it
Need a good book to read on your free time? “Secrets and Lies” By Jacqueline Green is the second book out of the Truth or Dare series. This book picks up right where the first book, “Truth or Dare” ended. Rating this book a 4, “Secrets and lies” is definitely a book you would want to read or even recommend to a friend.
In this book, the three girls Sydney, Tenley, and Emerson are connected together by the murder of their mutual friend and deep secrets. When all the girls make it out of their way
Courtney
Sep 14, 2016 Courtney rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I love these books. I know they're almost exactly like Pretty Little Liars. But the characters are so much more lovable and the storyline is honestly better. And I'm glad they're only three books instead of like 19 like Pretty Little Liars I think. These books are truly amazing and I can't wait to read the last one and find out what happens next.
Megs
May 12, 2014 Megs rated it liked it
After the last page twist at the end of Truth or Dare, the game has gotten more dangerous for Tenley and Sydney. And a new player has been added to the game: gorgeous but troubled Emerson, Caitlyn's best friend. After the ending of book one, the darer has upped the stakes and the girls now fear for their lives.

My favourite of the three girls is currently Emerson. I still find Tenley really manipulative and unlikable and Sydney a bit boring. Emerson I really felt for, although I was screaming ins
Jaksen
Feb 11, 2015 Jaksen rated it really liked it
I wish I had read Number One - suppose I still can.

The first few chapters dwell a lot on who is who, and what happened before. It's a necessary part of writing a series, because there are going to people (like me) who pick up Book 2 before Book 1.

At any rate, a good mystery, a lot of clues, red herrings, and surprises. Enough here to keep a series-lover happy and occupied. I was confused at first by all the characters, and there are a lot. But that also is to be expected in a book about young p
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
May 17, 2014 Christina (Ensconced in Lit) rated it liked it
Shelves: won
I received this book in a giveaway from Paper Lantern Lit-- thanks!

OK here's my problem. There's actually nothing totally wrong with Secrets and Lies by Jacqueline Green-- I liked a lot of things about it. But it just seems like a total retread of the first, enhancing my concerns for the fact that this was turned into a trilogy when it would have been better to keep it a standalone.

No one wants to be told at the beginning of the book that what we figured out by the end of Truth or Dare was actua
Lynne
MAJOR SPOILER ALERT!! Do NOT click the link unless you want to know how this book ends.

(view spoiler)
Erin Chicosky
Jun 12, 2016 Erin Chicosky rated it really liked it

I really really loved the first one. I loved it for how it portrayed people willing to do anything to keep something from becoming public knowledge. What I loved about this second book however was the escalation between someone hoping to appease this kook by doing the things they ask and the sudden desperation of trying to do those things just to end the nightmare.

I would like to know however, how is this darer able to keep this enormous rouse all contained as well as he/she has? You
Stephanie
Jul 04, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved the first book and this one was just as good. It's addictive and thrilling; it's 2 in the morning, but you just don't want to stop reading.

There are so many different aspects to the book, which I like. The girl's secrets. Their blossoming relationships. The Lost Girls. Caitlin's kidnapper. If the book was just about the girls having to perform dares for 300 pages, it'd get boring, but this book has so much more.

I also love that I'm clueless about who the darer actually is. I do have a
Barbara
In the second title in the Truth or Dare series, three high school teens who would not typically be friends end up forming a shaky alliance after the murder of a friend. Tenley Reed, Sydney Morgan, and Emerson Cunningham all have their own secrets, but they are determined to flush out the murderer who keeps taunting them through provocative phone messages. Unlikely as it might seem, the person who seems bent on destroying their lives or killing them somehow seems to know their every move even ...more
Books Ahoy
Jun 23, 2014 Books Ahoy rated it really liked it
I loved this book just as much as I loved the first book Truth or Dare! The plot still centers around 3 girls and picks up right where Truth or Dare left off. This book has so much suspense, romance, and mystery making for a great read. This books was definitely better than the last when it came to plot twists because it really keeps you guessing throughout the whole read. All of the underlying relationships also make the book a great read because you not only get the crazy mystery but you still ...more
Wendi Dusek
Jul 19, 2014 Wendi Dusek rated it really liked it
OK, Ill admit it I was hooked from the start. The only thing - I am angry with myself for not reading the first book in the series first. Now I want to read the first, third and anymore after.

Do you remember the cliques in high-school. Were you in the "in" crowd, the artistic crowd, quiet, or the stoners? Reading this book kind of took me back to that time when things weren't always so cut and dry.

Throw in a few veiled threats after some girls are killed and you have a mystery begging to be so
Gulen
Jun 04, 2014 Gulen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Bu 2. Kitapta yazar aşmış artık kendini, delirdim ne oluyor anlamak için ama yok cıks. Allah'ın cezası A kim ulan diye yemeden içmeden sabahlara kadar 9 kitap PLL okurken bile olayın (view spoiler) Ama burda yok kardeşim, bekle dur şimdi 1 sene, o da 3 kitapta biterse.

(view spoiler)
This is one of those series that needs readers to have read the first book before embarking on the second because otherwise the start is just too confusing. Note: I was not one of those readers and had to keep flipping back to the very start to try to keep the characters separate.

There are some obvious questions to be answered here, like who is behind the Dares and who could possibly know all these secrets. The less obvious questions are why none of the girls doesn't just bite the bullet and go
Katie Altstadt
Nov 17, 2014 Katie Altstadt rated it liked it
I read the first book in this three-book series and was thoroughly enticed and interested in the plot. I love Pretty Little Liars and opted for this book not only because the idea was generated by Paper Lantern Lit, co-founded by favorite author Lauren Oliver, but also because I was waiting for another PPL book and wanted to cure my Sara Shepard hangover. The concept is extremely similar to the Pretty Little Liars series almost a bit too close, so I'm surprised this idea was picked up, even the ...more
Apr 20, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I received this book as part of a Goodreads giveaway. I was pleasantly surprised by it. I hadn't read the first book in the series, but the author put in enough backstory in it that I didn't have a problem following the plot. For it being a book about high schoolers, it was still a good adult read.

What I really liked was the fact that for once, I didn't know whodunnit. Normally I am pretty good at figuring out who the killer is in a book like this by the first three chapters. At the close of the
Ninosha
Oct 14, 2015 Ninosha rated it really liked it
This was awesome!. I loved it. The book had it ALL- Mystery, Suspense, Romance..I love Tim ..sigh...and Tenley really grew on me. Can't really say that I connected with the other characters as much, though I love the reluctant friendship & camaraderie that these girls have developed with each other and I cannot wait to see where it goes from here.
Also I kinda have a pretty good guess on who the culprit is though I can't figure out the motive. Anyways I can't wait to see if I'm right.. On to
Amy
Apr 01, 2014 Amy rated it liked it
I received this through the Good reads giveaway program and because it was the second in a series I decided to read the first book before starting this one.

While this book could have read as a stand alone, I think it works much better as part of the series. The plot continues to follow the lives a group of seniors in highschool in a New England town as they are stalked and terrorized. The teens dig themselves deeper and deeper trouble as they try discover their stalker's identity. The plot move
Su
May 16, 2014 Su rated it liked it
It's going to be such a pain to be waiting for another book. I just wanna know who the darer is already and I hope book three is the end of this series. I don't want this series turn into another Pretty Little Liars type of series.

Even though I was excited about all the mystery and thrills, I lost interest in the characters. I didn't feel connected to any of them. I also hated to see that theggirls were keeping more secrets and telling more lies as if for the darer's advantage.

And all the clues
Journey
Dec 19, 2014 Journey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i wondered about the ability to stretch the first book into three books, but so far so good. we don't get as much insight into the three girls, and i miss (view spoiler), but it was still great.

content warnings: there's an animal death (skip to the next chapter when Em bumps into Holden's cage, you only miss that scene), and a suicide (or rather murder/staged suicide) by hanging at the very end.
Mycoton32
Dec 03, 2015 Mycoton32 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
17/20
En bref, j'ai encore une fois trouvé l'ambiance super bien faite et les personnages vraiment bien campés. On mène l'enquête avec eux, on est très curieux de savoir qui se cache derrière ce mystérieux maitre chanteur et on tombe sur les fesses quand arrive la conclusion de ce second tome. Et ça va être reparti pour un tour avec la suite !! Vivement !

Minjee Kong
Jun 24, 2014 Minjee Kong rated it liked it
I received this book as a Goodreads Giveaway and could not wait to bury my nose in it. "Secrets and Lies" had times when I was on the edge of my seat waiting for some clue to pan out, but there were also times when the book just dragged on and you wanted to skip ahead until there was something else happening. Overall Jacqueline Green created a great story for younger teens who love mystery reads.
Emily
Jun 04, 2015 Emily rated it it was ok
Maybe it's because this is a middle book in a whodunnit series, but I probably could have skipped this one altogether, as Green does a detailed recap at the beginning of each book. Obviously we're not going to find out who did it in the middle book, and all I really took from this was a couple more clues.

It's getting more and more and MORE like Pretty Little Liars. A little too similar.

Obviously have to finish the series to find out who actually did it.
  • Captive
  • The Dare
  • How Far Would You Have Gotten If I Hadn't Called You Back?
  • Feather Bound
  • Cruel Love (Privilege, #6)
  • The Widows of Braxton County
  • Chasing Before (The Memory Chronicles, #2)
  • Breaking Walls (Breaking, #2)
  • The Wilderness (The Disappeared #2)
  • Friction
  • A Rendezvous to Remember
  • Thunderstruck (Weather Witch, #3)
  • In Dreams
  • Born of Deception (Born of Illusion, #2)
  • Get Even (Don't Get Mad, #1)
  • Chain Letter: Two Books in One
  • The Ship of Fools
  • The Rules for Breaking (The Rules for Disappearing, #2)
A pen name of Jacqueline Resnick.

Jacqueline Green received her BA from Cornell University and her MFA in writing for children from The New School. She grew up in Wynnewood, PA and now lives in Brooklyn, NY with her husband and their tiny dog (who sometimes moonlights as her writing companion). Truth or Dare, the first novel in a trilogy, is her young adult debut.
More about Jacqueline Green...

Truth or Dare (3 books)
  • Truth or Dare (Truth or Dare, #1)
  • Kiss and Tell (Truth or Dare #3)