Start by marking “The 400lb Gorilla (The Hipposync Archives, #1)” as Want to Read:
The 400lb Gorilla (The Hipposync Archives, #1)

The 400lb Gorilla (The Hipposync Archives #1)

Matt Danmor thinks he's lucky. Not many people survive a near death accident with nothing more than a bout of amnesia, a touch of clumsiness and the conviction that the technician who did the MRI had grey skin and hooves. Still, it takes time to recover from trauma like that, especially when the girl who was in the accident with you disappears into thin air. Especially ...more
Published June 24th 2014 by Spence City

To ask other readers questions about The 400lb Gorilla, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 400lb Gorilla

Tracy
Aug 28, 2014 Tracy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-reads
The 400lb Gorilla was a great read. The first few chapters had me 100%! I had many laugh out loud moments with this one...so many I kept getting strange looks from the family!

Matt Danmor is such a great character. I just wanted to give him a hug...he is just too cute! So lovable and someone all readers will be rooting for. Talk about character growth...zero to hero anyone?

There are SO many great characters...they all have their purpose and all come shining through. However, for me? One of my fav
Seregil of Rhiminee
Dec 04, 2014 Seregil of Rhiminee rated it it was amazing
Originally published at Risingshadow.

DC Farmer's The 400lb Gorilla is a well written, entertaining and humorous urban fantasy novel. It's a refreshingly different kind of a fantasy novel for readers who enjoy reading urban fantasy with clever, quirky and sarcastic humour.

I have to admit that I'm difficult to please when it comes to modern urban fantasy, because I've often been more or less disappointed by the low quality of many urban fantasy novels. In my opinion there are many mediocre urban f
Paul
Jul 05, 2014 Paul rated it really liked it
Matt Danmor is not having the best year. After a near fatal accident, his life has become a little dull. Everything appears a bit stale and uninteresting and he can’t help but feel that something is horribly wrong. The problem – he has no idea what that something is. His ex-girlfriend may or may not exist and more often than he would care to admit there appear to be unexplained gaps in his memory. A chance encounter with a strange, enigmatic old man offers the possibility of some answers. Matt ...more
Alan Denham
Jan 28, 2015 Alan Denham rated it really liked it
It’s strange – the book market, particularly self-published books, is very erratic at the moment. Some of the books that are advertised heavily, and get lots of good reviews, are frankly not up to much (I won’t name any examples).
And then you follow a link for no particular reason, and run into a little gem!

Let’s be fair – this book probably wouldn’t suit everybody. The humour, for a start, is an acquired taste. But that is what the free samples are for. If you like this sort of humour, then thi
Garrett Zecker
Dec 11, 2014 Garrett Zecker rated it really liked it
The 400 Lb Gorilla is a masterful urban fantasy with plenty of humor, classic allusions, and experienced medical framework. It is the first book in what is said to be a series entitled “The Hipposync Archives,” and it is clear that this fun, witty, and thrilling book is the beginning of a line of texts that are a little bit ‘Dr. Who,’ a little bit ‘Scrubs,’ a little bit Terry Gilliam and Terry Pratchett, and a little bit ‘Dresden Files.’

When Matt Danmor survives an accident he remembers very lit
Darby Karchut
Jun 09, 2014 Darby Karchut rated it it was amazing
Combine the snarky dialogue of Jim Butcher with the world-building of Douglas Adams and JK Rowling, mix well with folktales and legends from around the world, then top it off with D.C. Farmer’s famous dry wit, and you’ve one gotta-read-it-now novel in The 400lb Gorilla.

Matt Danmor is a delightful, character. One minute, a bumbling, clueless guy (in a totally adorable way), and the next, a man determined to save his friends, himself, and just possibly, the whole world.

As the climax built, I foun
Sara
I had a huge grin on my face after I finished The 400 lb Gorilla by DC Farmer, and I definitely want to re-enter Matt Danmor's world by reading the second book as well. It was, to me, an incredibly entertaining urban fantasy book with really great characters, and that holds true for both the main characters and the secondary characters. I was drawn in to the story from the first page, and thought the pacing was excellent, and the book didn't lag at all. What I also loved about the book was the ...more
Vidya-BooksAreMagic
Jan 01, 2015 Vidya-BooksAreMagic rated it really liked it
Matt is met with a horrible accident and considers himself lucky to even have survived that. But, after that accident, things get strange for Matt. His med school education is paused and he now works as a porter in the hospital. There are a couple of people in the hospital, who always seem to give some complications to Matt. And his girlfriend, Silvy, who was at the time of accident, is considered to be a figment of Matt's imagination by the psychologist, as there is no proof that such person ...more
Eruedergmail.com
May 07, 2015 Eruedergmail.com rated it really liked it
The 400Lb Gorilla was probably one of the funniest fiction books I have ever read. I found myself laughing out loud a lot not only with Matt’s unfortunate luck and the pranks played out against him at the hospital but at his knack for self-deprecation. The characters and places were so vivid you had no problem picturing all the places where Matt’s misfortunes took center stage. I don’t read a lot of fantasy novels but couldn’t resist wanting to read this after reading some of the other reviews. ...more
Julie Baswell
Dec 18, 2014 Julie Baswell rated it really liked it
When Matt survives a car accident that leaves him with head trauma, his life takes a down hill turn. He remembers his girlfriend Silvy being in the car but there was no evidence of that, leading his psychiatrist to deduce her as a figment of his imagination. When Matt starts seeing deformed creatures, he just thinks that he is hallucinating. But when Silvy suddenly walks back into his life, he discovers that there is more than hallucinations going on.

This was such a great fantasy read. The way t
Dr susan
Feb 10, 2015 Dr susan rated it it was amazing
I do not understand why I have not heard more about The 400lb Gorilla. (No, I will not explain the title! That would be a massive spoiler!) This book is a marvelous, warped puzzle of an urban fantasy. I admit I got lost in the 'British-isms' occasionally, but I was able to tease out most of the meanings. Not only did I want to stay awake and read, but a migraine could not disssuade me from finishing this very fine urban fantasy. The humor is snarky and dry. The story is very believable; Matt has ...more
Wendy Rinebold
May 04, 2015 Wendy Rinebold rated it it was amazing
The basic plot line is that a young guy thinks he is losing his mind following a car accident. However, that doesn't begin to really describe this book. For starters, it was so funny I was crying. The analogies were hilarious. Also, the characters and scenery were so descriptive that I could perfectly picture it. I would love to see this made into a movie. I thought using the authors name as the founder of the organization added a personal touch that I also enjoyed. I hope a follow up book is ...more
April
May 19, 2015 April rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Story and Good Laughs

I really enjoyed reading this book. The storyline was enjoyable from the beginning and I loved the humor that was added throughout the book. There are books out there where it seems like the author is trying too hard to be amusing, but this is not one of them. It was funny without deviating from the urban fantasy base of the story. The character development was great and upon finishing, I didn't feel like i had unanswered questions. I would highly recommend this book t
Christina Escamilla
Jan 04, 2015 Christina Escamilla rated it it was amazing
D.C. Farmer has crafted a book that is not only funny, but is extremely memorable. The world is entertaining, engaging, and downright fun. Coupled with this are some pretty memorable characters that you partly root for and partly secretly want to see suffer for the inevitable hilarity that ensues. All around a really great read, but a word of caution - random moments of loud and very audible laughing should be expected.

For a much longer version of the review please go here
Jack Bates
Jan 19, 2016 Jack Bates rated it liked it
This is pacey and nicely-written but could have done with another edit I think. There are some inconsistencies which I found slightly irritating. I liked the world building though and the story is fun. Humour in books (particularly 'lighthearted fantasy') can be problematic I think but it's down to personal taste, isn't it. There are a few too many 'complex Blackadder-style similes' for me, but I'd still read the next one.
Shecky
Jul 02, 2014 Shecky rated it it was amazing
This book was an absolute joy to read. Perfectly realized humor in the vein of Adams and Pratchett but with Farmer's own stamp on it. And the character of Rimsplitter (no, that's not a typo, and it'll give you a sample of the kind of humor that kept me grinning) is in the running for one of my favorite comedic sidekicks.

I thoroughly recommend picking this one up if you aren't too cool to laugh out loud.
Christine Lowe
The 400lb Gorilla

I really wanted to like this book but it was touch and go. The story just seemed to drag on and on during the first third of the book. If I hadn't agreed to write a review I probably would have quit reading.

I began to enjoy the book a third of the way in as things began to heat up with Matt and Kyla. Good imagery of the in between world. Loved the vulture sidekick.

I was given a Cree copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Dalene
Jun 25, 2014 Dalene rated it really liked it
First, I would like to thank the author D.C. Farmer for giving me this book for an honest review. The storyline is good, I enjoyed reading this book very much. The characters are very well developed and written. Matt is a great and believable main character and I love the secondary characters like Kylah and her Uncle and much more. I am looking forward to reading more from this author.
Andy
Nov 18, 2015 Andy rated it it was amazing
Excellent Fae crossover thriller - with just the right punchy humour. Laughing out loud on a rush hour tube - that's the sign of a great book.
Patricia Mick
Patricia Mick rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2015
Paul Field
Paul Field rated it it was ok
Jun 01, 2016
Sofhy Haisyah
Sofhy Haisyah rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2015
Caroline Anastasia Mccaskill
Caroline Anastasia Mccaskill rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2014
David
David rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2014
Apuca
Apuca rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2015
Catherine
Catherine rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2015
James
James rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2015
Sandra Gladwin
Sandra Gladwin rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2016
Carmen
Carmen rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2015
Lee Chalmers
Lee Chalmers rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2014
  • Spin the Sky
  • Yellowstone Four
  • Spellcast  (Maggie Graham #1)
  • Lustlocked (Sin du Jour, #2)
  • The Shores of Spain (The Golden City, #3)
  • Reflected (Silver, #3)
  • Death Takes a Holiday (F.R.E.A.K.S. Squad Investigation, #3)
  • The Wrong Goodbye (The Collector, #2)
  • Inquisitor (Witch & Wolf, #2)
  • Armageddon Rules (Grimm Agency, #2)
  • Deep Down (Wide Open, #2)
  • The Other Tree
  • Covenant's End (Widdershins Adventures, #4)
  • Slashback (Cal Leandros, #8)
  • Busy Monsters
  • The Brimstone Deception (SPI Files, #3)
  • Barking
  • Touch (The Queen of the Dead, #2)
DC Farmer (as someone else--names changed to protect the innocent) began writing thrillers while the kids were in the bath. They grew up and so did he. Now he writes speculative fiction under the umbrella of the Hipposync Archives.

He lives in Wales and uses quite a lot of that umbrella.
More about D.C. Farmer...

The Hipposync Archives (2 books)
  • Frivolous Pursuits (The Hipposync Archives, #2)

“Closed head trauma is about as much fun as nude paintballing.” 0 likes
“Matt shrugged. It was a good shrug, too. All it was missing was a beret, a stripy shirt and a Gauloise cigarette.” 0 likes