Start by marking “Dark Mountain” as Want to Read:
Dark Mountain

Dark Mountain

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  1,314 ratings  ·  70 reviews
For two families, it was supposed to be a relaxing camping trip in the California mountains. They thought it would be fun to get away from everything for a while. But they're not alone. The woods are also home to two terrifying residents who don't take kindly to strangers - an old hag with unholy powers, and her hulking son, a half-wild brute with uncontrollable, violent u ...more
Paperback
Published November 7th 1992 by Headline (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Mountain

Janie Johnson
I haven't read a Laymon book in awhile and I have got to say that this is my favorite thus far. WOW! There was so much going on in this book at the turn of just about every page, the action never seemed to ceased. You could practically feel the insanity oozing out of the pages. I got a little confused at one point because it did a jump, like a '2 weeks later' kind of thing when I least expected it. But Laymon brought it all together in pure Laymon style.

I actually loved everything about this boo
Matt Garcia
Fantastic, fun novel that reads a bit like a B horror movie. Laymon's writing is sharp and the novel moves along at a breakneck speed. The characters were very enjoyable and I liked all of them; which is very rare for me. Great horror romp with all of Laymon's trademark style and flare. Dark Mountain is a shining success.
Pierre
An altogether entertaining and fast paced Laymon novel. His style is cinematic and this would have made a great 1980s movie complete with teens on hormones, parents on the lookout, boys that know better than the adults, a trek in the woods, a witch, fun, suspense, death, and various attached or detached body parts on display! A fun read.
Daniel Russell
Here we have a classic slice of eighties Laymon (unfortunately for the characters, who would have literally killed for a mobile phone to be honest) but not without its share of problems.

Two families go camping.

Okay...camping. Let's see how many Laymon books involve going camping (or thereabouts):

The Woods Are Dark
No Sanctuary
Darkness Tell Us
The Lake (I think)
Blood Games...any more?

So as you can see, just within Laymon's work alone, there's quite a lot of competition regarding camping horror! I t
Anna
The book is sectioned off in three parts. The first bit is the two families off on their vacation, and it starts the story off really well, with engaging characters of surprising depth. I honestly cared about what happened to these people and was desperately afraid something horrible would happen to them. I mean, it's a horror novel, bad things are gonna happen, and I was keeping my fingers crossed this wouldn't be something with a high body count because I liked these people. It wasn't perfect ...more
Teresa
This was the first book I've read by Richard Laymon. It was okay- not great or terrifying, but not horrible either. It kind of reminded me of Dean Koontz's work. Some of the dialogue didn't ring true to me, especially from the younger children in the story. But all in all it was pretty good, and makes me want to read some more of his books to see if I like them better.
Trudi
Even when Laymon isn't at his best, I still find myself turning the pages and unable to put the book down. This is dreadful, compelling stuff -- trashy but satisfying, everything a pulp-riff-page-turner should be. For me, Laymon is the equivalent of a greasy cheeseburger and fries -- consume in moderation and enjoy!
J.A. Callan
Did not enjoy this outing at all. Published as Tread Softly under the name Richard Kelly, before being re-released under the name Dark Mountain under his real name, Richard Laymon, for reasons I'm not aware of. This really was a lacklustre and poor piece of work from a man I do not doubt was a truly gifted writer (I've only read two of his other works before this; Beware! was poor, but Night in the Lonesome October is one of my all-time favourites).

The first half of the book is dedicated to cha
chucklesthescot
Two families go camping together in the mountains but tragedy strikes when one of the women is raped by a perverted madman who lives in a cave with his witch mother. The madman is dead but the witch puts a curse of them that follows them as they go home, with accidents and disasters happening to them. They know they are going to have to go back to the mountains to deal with the witch before her curse kills them all.

I loved this book! The family dynamics were good with the resentful daughter not
TJ
Pretty good fare from Richard Laymon! "Dark Mountain" details the story of two families who go on a camping trip deep into the woods only to find themselves threatened by an old crone and her beast of a son. Laymon does a great job making the reader feel part of the camping trip and setting the stage for the encounter with the creepy duo. The book really takes off though once the families return home and find that they may be dealing with a curse.

Laymon does his usual outstanding job creating m
Sarah Janina
Aus einem spannenden Campingausflug wird ein echter Alptraum. Zwei Familien aus Los Angeles trampen durch die Wälder Kaliforniens und erzählen sich am Lagerfeuer Gruselgeschichten. Aber dann wird eine dieser Geschichten Wirklichkeit und die Familien werden von grausamen Hinterwäldlern überfallen. Erst scheint es so, als hätten sie die Chance zu entkommen, aber dann sucht das Böse sie heim und der Fluch breitet sich aus...

Handlung & Stil.
Ich habe mich auf dieses Buch unglaublich gefreut und d
Wesley Thomas
This book was as good as expected, great storyline, characterizations, flow, and as usual, graphic description. You begin in the woods with two families on a camping trip and mayhem ensues when they discover an old woman, who is a witch and her psychotic, rapist son. After plenty of drama, the two families speed off back home now realizing they have been cursed.
Then when they arrive home its coincidence after coincidence and the parents of the families start to believe the young boy in his theor
Todd Western-Normanton
I have been waiting a very long time to get my hands on a copy of this book, and the wait was sure worth it! This book was a clear combination of the horror/thriller genre. The main two antagonists- the witch and her brutal son, were absolutely frightening. I recommend this book to all fans of Stephen King and those looking for a genuine scare to keep them up late at night! Awesome read!

- Would make the most amazing film!
Eric
Why do people go camping? Don't they know there's always a crazy old witch and her retarded sex-starved son living in a cave somewhere? And you know they're just waiting to pounce on unsuspecting campers. Terrific! But there's good news. After three-hundred pages there's always a happy ending.
Victoria
This was a very summery-fun type of book. It wasn't my favorite of his... The ending felt a little rushed. It was still a fun read, just not his best work. It followed the same lines as Darkness, Tell Us. It was a fun, summer thriller set primarily around a fateful camping trip.
Andrea
I really loved this book. It was full of suspense and kept me on the edge of my seat as I couldn't wait to see what would happen next. I can't wait to go back to the library and see what other books they have by this author.
Horrorfan
Great relationships and some unexpected twists. I had fun getting through this book. I was pleased with the way the 'crazy' old woman turned out. I thought these "strangers" were going to be more sick and twisted.
Imma
Loved it. Simmering action all the way through. No boring endings for this author...I think I'm addicted to Richard Laymon...Curse you Geoff!... NOT!
Ricardo Moreno mauro
Richard Laymon nos entrega otra historia donde la sangre, brazos cortados, brujería (y hasta algunos zombies) se mezclan con erotismo y sexo.
La historia comienza con dos familias que se unen para ir de excursión a un parque forestal Encontramos los tipicos problemas adolescentes de incomprensión e incomunicación entre hermanos y padres con hijos. Más aún cuando tenemos a Karen, la novia de Scott, quien a perdido a su esposa y tiene que lidiar con sus hijos adolescentes. El libro es muy interesan
Ashleigh
Loved it! I love everything I can get my hands on by Laymon. Definitely not for those who do not like gore!!
Joe Stamber
Richard Laymon... in your face horror, right? Well, not this time. On my Kindle, this book was called "Tread Softly", but it was definitely the same book as "Dark Mountain". Two old buddies, 'Nam veterans, take their families into the mountains for a camping trip. Laymon has carefully selected a diverse bunch of characters to create a variety of relationships and conflicts. To be fair, Laymon is usually pretty good at creating a bit of back story for his characters before he plunges them into pe ...more
Kechelle
Richard Laymon was born Chicago Illinois, January, 1947 and died February 14, 2001. Throughout life he published over sixty short stories and over forty novels. Dark Mountain was published in 1992.

Two families take a camping trip in the Californian Mountains planning to hike and enjoy a scenic vacation.

What they didn’t anticipate, was that there would be two others up in the mountains watching their every move. A deranged man whose lusts for the opposite sex are unquenchable and his mother an
Michelle
Highly Entertaining

I gave this book five stars because it grabbed and held my attention from the beginning. The story was intense and believable. The characters were well rounded and well thought out. Sometimes in books, you find some characters that are silly or just flat out dumb, but not in this book. This story kept me up reading into the night. I highly recommend it.
Lisa Sandberg
This was my first time reading a Richard Laymon book. I know, I know...a little behind the times I guess.

This book was most definitely "old school" horror. The best kind. The kind that keeps you on the edge of your seat hoping they all make it.

I will be reading more Richard Laymon books.
Jason  morton
Layman's books are awesome

When you read a book from Richard layman you are in for a insane time. I loved this book It only took one day to read it. his books are awesome, an experience definitely worth reading if you like or love this genre.
Peggy
Knappe 4 Sterne. Toller Schreibstil, aber die Story war dann doch etwas klischeehaft und ein bisschen zu unlogisch gegen Ende. Jedoch war man wieder voll in der geschaffenen Welt von Laymon gefangen.
DJMikeG
Yet another slam bang page turner full of gore and nastiness from the late Mr. Laymon. This one isn't quite as disgusting as some of his other works ("Come Out Tonight"), and definitely has many problems. That said, its relative lack of truly reprehensible sexual abuse is a welcome reprieve after reading (or in the case of "Come Out Tonight", attempting to read) some of his other, more intense novels. All the themes and characters aren't realized to their full potential, but in Laymon's slash an ...more
Nevertaken
I think I wanted to like this book a lot more than I did. Not expecting it to be in two parts is one thing that bothered me, especially since I preferred the first part. The ending felt very rushed, and just bothered me because I didn't expect it to end in such a way. I kept expecting more gore than I got, and I think things like that I had previously heard about the author effected my expectations. It's not like I thought the book needed more gore, just the goriest part was quite tame, and I ke ...more
Terry
Dark Mountain is one of those books which follows a group of campers (here two families) and a group of killers (a witch and her deranged son) and the reader sits back and waits for the two to intersect. It's a classic formula (and one Laymon used in The Woods Are Dark), but what makes this a different read is that the true horror sets in after the intersection and the campers return to civilization.

It's not Laymon's best book, especially in terms of pacing, but it's worth sticking with.

Jared
A genuinely boring and lackluster thriller with thoroughly ludicrous plot twists and characters not even Laymon himself could muster the strength to care about. If I didn't know what he could do, this would be enough to scare me (not literally, because it's not scary) away from Laymon's bibliography for good. Thank God that's not the case.
  • Beware!

pseudonym of Richard Laymon
More about Richard Kelly...
Midnight's Lair

“There are always those ifs when something goes wrong. We can't blame ourselves. It's just a bunch of little choices that don't mean anything till the shit hits the fan, and then you look back and see how you got there. And you find a whole string of ifs going back forever.” 0 likes