Start by marking “Dark Mountain” as Want to Read:
Dark Mountain

Dark Mountain

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  1,594 Ratings  ·  94 Reviews
'If you've missed Laymon, you've missed a treat' Stephen King.

It was supposed to be a peaceful escape for the two families camping high in the California mountains. But they made the mistake of camping at Mesquite lake, home to two of the wilderness's most terrifying inhabitants: an aged hag with gruesome powers and her depraved son whose unnatural lusts even she cannot co
Published June 15th 1992 by Feature (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Mountain

mark monday
I love camping, and have loved it since I was kid. everything about it: walking in nature, splashing in water, setting up camp, the conversations around the fire and the cooking and the early mornings waking up to the music of birds and insects, the nights spent in a tent or under the stars. Richard Laymon loves camping too: he spends nearly the first 200 pages describing a camping trip before bothering to get to the horror. the attack on the campers felt almost like an afterthought. I didn't mi ...more
Jun 12, 2015 Oscar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scott y Flash, amigos que sirvieron juntos en Vietnam, deciden pasar unos días de excursión por las montañas. A Scott le acompañan su novia Karen, Julie, su hija adolescente, y su hijo pequeño Benny. Con Flash viajan su mujer Alice, su hijo adolescente Nick, y sus hijas gemelas Rose y Heather. Ambas familias inician el viaje con sus mochilas sin contratiempos. Sin embargo, la maldad ronda la zona de las Mezquite, en las personas de Ettie, una bruja, y su hijo Merle, un psicópata violador y asesi ...more
Evans Light
Not much happens in this exceedingly tame, repetitive book stuffed with interchangeable cardboard characters. Uninteresting and unsuspenseful, this is the only Laymon book I've read so far that's left me completely cold. Usually his books have at least one strong storyline, but nothing to see here, folks. Yawn.
Adam Light
Sep 28, 2015 Adam Light rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
DARK MOUNTAIN, AKA TREAD SOFTLY is one of those classic psycho in the woods stories that will convince some people never to go camping again.
This is also a rare Laymon work where he throws in a supernatural element into the mix, and the payoff is pretty decent. Not one of his srtongest books, but definitely worth the read.
Janie Johnson
I haven't read a Laymon book in awhile and I have got to say that this is my favorite thus far. WOW! There was so much going on in this book at the turn of just about every page, the action never seemed to ceased. You could practically feel the insanity oozing out of the pages. I got a little confused at one point because it did a jump, like a '2 weeks later' kind of thing when I least expected it. But Laymon brought it all together in pure Laymon style.

I actually loved everything about this boo
Daniel Russell
Here we have a classic slice of eighties Laymon (unfortunately for the characters, who would have literally killed for a mobile phone to be honest) but not without its share of problems.

Two families go camping.

Okay...camping. Let's see how many Laymon books involve going camping (or thereabouts):

The Woods Are Dark
No Sanctuary
Darkness Tell Us
The Lake (I think)
Blood Games...any more?

So as you can see, just within Laymon's work alone, there's quite a lot of competition regarding camping horror! I t
Matt Garcia
Apr 22, 2015 Matt Garcia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic, fun novel that reads a bit like a B horror movie. Laymon's writing is sharp and the novel moves along at a breakneck speed. The characters were very enjoyable and I liked all of them; which is very rare for me. Great horror romp with all of Laymon's trademark style and flare. Dark Mountain is a shining success.
An altogether entertaining and fast paced Laymon novel. His style is cinematic and this would have made a great 1980s movie complete with teens on hormones, parents on the lookout, boys that know better than the adults, a trek in the woods, a witch, fun, suspense, death, and various attached or detached body parts on display! A fun read.
Apr 22, 2015 JAC rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Did not enjoy this outing at all. Published as Tread Softly under the name Richard Kelly, before being re-released under the name Dark Mountain under his real name, Richard Laymon, for reasons I'm not aware of. This really was a lacklustre and poor piece of work from a man I do not doubt was a truly gifted writer (I've only read two of his other works before this; Beware! was poor, but Night in the Lonesome October is one of my all-time favourites).

The first half of the book is dedicated to cha
Even when Laymon isn't at his best, I still find myself turning the pages and unable to put the book down. This is dreadful, compelling stuff -- trashy but satisfying, everything a pulp-riff-page-turner should be. For me, Laymon is the equivalent of a greasy cheeseburger and fries -- consume in moderation and enjoy!
Jul 20, 2016 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
The book is sectioned off in three parts. The first bit is the two families off on their vacation, and it starts the story off really well, with engaging characters of surprising depth. I honestly cared about what happened to these people and was desperately afraid something horrible would happen to them. I mean, it's a horror novel, bad things are gonna happen, and I was keeping my fingers crossed this wouldn't be something with a high body count because I liked these people. It wasn't perfect ...more
Jun 27, 2014 Teresa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book I've read by Richard Laymon. It was okay- not great or terrifying, but not horrible either. It kind of reminded me of Dean Koontz's work. Some of the dialogue didn't ring true to me, especially from the younger children in the story. But all in all it was pretty good, and makes me want to read some more of his books to see if I like them better.
James Parsons
Okay so I had been intending to read books from this author for a long time and had a couple in my house and I now have.
Yes, I was expecting something like early Stephen King from the design of the book covers and review comments and more I had seen over time. This is a fairly old story now, and so I was not expecting it to feel like a very modern horror book.
It was easy to read, and I could get through it fairly quickly which was nice. Good established characters and dialogue for the time it
Oct 06, 2012 TJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good fare from Richard Laymon! "Dark Mountain" details the story of two families who go on a camping trip deep into the woods only to find themselves threatened by an old crone and her beast of a son. Laymon does a great job making the reader feel part of the camping trip and setting the stage for the encounter with the creepy duo. The book really takes off though once the families return home and find that they may be dealing with a curse.

Laymon does his usual outstanding job creating m
Two families go camping together in the mountains but tragedy strikes when one of the women is raped by a perverted madman who lives in a cave with his witch mother. The madman is dead but the witch puts a curse of them that follows them as they go home, with accidents and disasters happening to them. They know they are going to have to go back to the mountains to deal with the witch before her curse kills them all.

I loved this book! The family dynamics were good with the resentful daughter not
Wesley Thomas
Feb 24, 2013 Wesley Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was as good as expected, great storyline, characterizations, flow, and as usual, graphic description. You begin in the woods with two families on a camping trip and mayhem ensues when they discover an old woman, who is a witch and her psychotic, rapist son. After plenty of drama, the two families speed off back home now realizing they have been cursed.
Then when they arrive home its coincidence after coincidence and the parents of the families start to believe the young boy in his theor
Yet another slam bang page turner full of gore and nastiness from the late Mr. Laymon. This one isn't quite as disgusting as some of his other works ("Come Out Tonight"), and definitely has many problems. That said, its relative lack of truly reprehensible sexual abuse is a welcome reprieve after reading (or in the case of "Come Out Tonight", attempting to read) some of his other, more intense novels. All the themes and characters aren't realized to their full potential, but in Laymon's slash an ...more
Nov 03, 2015 Adamus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this read. It was a good read for Halloween. I enjoyed the plot of the story even tho Laymon has written a few different stories about the woods this is a little different & the twists & turns in it are really good. The last 10 chapters or so really get you on the edge of your seat & just make you turn the pages. The ending was also a good one I kinda expected something crazy but it was definitely a nice twist. Overall I really enjoyed the book for me there really wa ...more
Todd Western-Normanton
I have been waiting a very long time to get my hands on a copy of this book, and the wait was sure worth it! This book was a clear combination of the horror/thriller genre. The main two antagonists- the witch and her brutal son, were absolutely frightening. I recommend this book to all fans of Stephen King and those looking for a genuine scare to keep them up late at night! Awesome read!

- Would make the most amazing film!
mike andrews
Mar 22, 2016 mike andrews rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Not the typical Laymon that I've read

Laymon was a very dark writer. He can show the depths of depravity humans can show. He excels at showing the depths from his protagonists especially when Hell is forced on them. This book went away from that but was good in its own right. Good supernatural horror
Oct 20, 2015 Robjr73 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: richard-laymon
Wow. If you've never read Laymon this is the perfect book to start with. This ties with Savage for being my all time favorite. Witches never used to freak me out but this book changed all that. After reading about a dozen Laymon novels I'm now scared of clowns, witches, old ladies on bikes, Jack the Ripper, ape costumes, funhouses, homeless people, mannequins...I could go on and on....
May 16, 2010 Horrorfan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great relationships and some unexpected twists. I had fun getting through this book. I was pleased with the way the 'crazy' old woman turned out. I thought these "strangers" were going to be more sick and twisted.
May 11, 2010 Victoria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very summery-fun type of book. It wasn't my favorite of his... The ending felt a little rushed. It was still a fun read, just not his best work. It followed the same lines as Darkness, Tell Us. It was a fun, summer thriller set primarily around a fateful camping trip.
Oct 03, 2009 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, 2009
Why do people go camping? Don't they know there's always a crazy old witch and her retarded sex-starved son living in a cave somewhere? And you know they're just waiting to pounce on unsuspecting campers. Terrific! But there's good news. After three-hundred pages there's always a happy ending.
Jun 16, 2009 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book. It was full of suspense and kept me on the edge of my seat as I couldn't wait to see what would happen next. I can't wait to go back to the library and see what other books they have by this author.
Jul 27, 2012 Ashleigh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! I love everything I can get my hands on by Laymon. Definitely not for those who do not like gore!!
Aug 14, 2016 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall - 4 stars
Story - 4 stars
Narration - 4 stars

This book was pretty good, but geez, the author must have referred to "breasts" a couple of hundred times! lol :-)
Feb 23, 2010 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Simmering action all the way through. No boring endings for this author...I think I'm addicted to Richard Laymon...Curse you Geoff!... NOT!
Mar 20, 2014 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Characters: B
Pacing: B-
Sex scenes: F
Last forty pages: B+
Oct 31, 2015 Terry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typical Laymon book. Liked the way this one ended.
  • No Sanctuary

pseudonym of Richard Laymon
More about Richard Kelly...

“There are always those ifs when something goes wrong. We can't blame ourselves. It's just a bunch of little choices that don't mean anything till the shit hits the fan, and then you look back and see how you got there. And you find a whole string of ifs going back forever.” 0 likes