Start by marking “In the Name of Love and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #4)” as Want to Read:
In the Name of Love and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #4)

In the Name of Love and Other True Cases (Crime Files #4)

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  1,380 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Inside a circle of trusted friends...one was a killer.

Jerry Harris was a self-made California millionaire who, at age forty-four, had it all: booming businesses, yachts, a mansion, a beautiful wife, and a voice to rival Elvis. No one who knew this well-liked, generous man could make sense of his sudden disappearance one autumn night. On a final phone call to his brother
Published January 1st 1998 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about In the Name of Love and Other True Cases, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Name of Love and Other True Cases

Rossy
Jul 25, 2015 Rossy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The short stories were great, but the main story was amazing and heartbreaking.
As a lot of reviewers said, it dragged at times, but that's the way it happened in real life and I guess we needed to know all the facts. I felt really sorry for the Harrises, they didn't deserve anything that happened to them and Susan's ordeal was almost never-ending!
It was my first Ann Rule book and I'll definitely read all of her books I can get my hands on.
Jeannie Walker
Feb 26, 2015 Jeannie Walker rated it really liked it
Ann Rule is a mastermind when it comes to writing gripping stories about the dark underside of killers, abusers and the like.
Unfortunately, there are criminal minds that could be in our world who are driven by jealousy and have a wish to do evil to you or your loved ones.
While reading "In the Name of Love", I was reminded of the chilling way my ex-husband was murdered. He too, was a self-made millionaire. He was murdered because of jealousy and greed. That was a new beginning for me in my un-wa
Katherine Addison
*In the Name of Love: Danville, CA, 1987 (the murder of Jerry Lee Harris and the completely batshit insane plot to kill his wife)
*"Murder and the Proper Housewife": Bellevue, WA, 1974 (attempted murder-for-hire, orchestrated by a woman who felt her best friend would be better off with the best friend's husband's trust fund instead of the husband; n.b., the best friend had no idea)
*"The Most Dangerous Game": Index, WA, 1971 (sociopath befriends, stalks, and nearly murders two teenage girls)
*"How
Alisi ☆ wants to read too many books ☆
I enjoyed this book. I do have to say one thing:

The killer was a complete and utter moron on a level that even *I* have never seen before. Ms. Rule talks at length about Jerry's good luck but I think the killer had much, much better luck.

This is the guy who has (apparently) tried to have several people killed. Has tried to steal. Had a bomb put under a car sp to kill his ex (of which, when the bomb didn't go off, still let HIS OWN CHILDREN ride in the car knowing and seeing the bomb was still in
Rebecca Huston
Five tales of cold-blooded murder. The title tale is the longest, going into the disappearance of Jerry Harris, a self-made millionaire with successful businesses and a lovely wife, Susan. When Jerry seemingly vanished into thin air, Susan never gave up hope -- or determination. It would take eight long years to see justice served, and the tale is a very twisted one indeed. The other four are much shorter, all of which have the idea of love, be it selfish, obsessive or the lack of it completely. ...more
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
I lost this book, or rather misplaced it. If I ever get around to finding it I will finish it since I was 75% done. The main story in the book was long but somewhat interesting. Not Rule's best work. :/
Dorsi
Nov 01, 2013 Dorsi rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, true-crime
This is my 2nd Ann Rule book. I didn't like it quite as well as the first book but I liked it nonetheless. I listened to this one audio style It was read by Laural Merlington and she does a fine job. 3.75 stars in my ever so humble opinion.
Michaela
Mar 05, 2017 Michaela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title story is a heartbreaker. An innocent man cut down by greed and jealousy. It definitely seems like a case that was close to Rule's heart and the pain and fear and turmoil of it comes through in every word. A tragedy of Shakespearean proportions.
Of the other cases, The Most Dangerous Game definitely hit me hard. There are some scary, crazy people out there. Trust no one.
Marca
Apr 06, 2012 Marca rated it really liked it
Another well-detailed true crime book from Ann Rule. There is one main story, followed by several short tales. The main story is from over 25 years ago: the murder for hire of a man named Jerry Harris who was a force in the business world in California in the 1970’s and 1980’s until his murder in 1987. His wife Susan never gives up hope that his killer will be arrested. Susan, and nearly everyone else who knew Jerry, knew who killed Jerry, either directly or indirectly, but there is no evidence ...more
Mirjam Penning
Jan 22, 2014 Mirjam Penning rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
The main and first story is about a man named Jerry Lee Harris, an entrepeneur. The title of his story is also the title of the book. He seems a likeable jovial guy, who is succesful in life. He and his wife have quite an age difference, but it works out. I can relate to that. My partner is older than me as well, but age tend to fall away when it just clicks between two people. Jerry and Susan have a wonderful life, but one day he just doesn't come home. They find him later, but not alive. He's ...more
Beth Pearson
May 31, 2014 Beth Pearson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
I liked this recap of true life murder mystery cases. It read like a script for a Dateline or America's Most wanted type show. You know from the beginning there is a murder and you know who dies. Sometimes you even knew who did it but you had to read the story to get the why, how, and "where are they now" details.

The first story "In the Name of Love" took 3/4 of the book so obviously this was the most detailed and drawn out of the 5 stories. Personally, I probably could have been happy with a l
Tiffeny
Oct 19, 2013 Tiffeny rated it liked it
Those that know me will have a hard time believing that this is my first True Crime book. Oh, I might have read one in college or something for a Criminal Justice class, but nothing I remember. About this book though - I enjoyed it. There was one long story in the book and then 4 or 5 short stories at the end. I watch true crime television shows all the time, but this book hit me harder than most of the shows I've seen. It gave so much detail about the characters and their lives prior to the cri ...more
Susan Skinner
Sep 15, 2016 Susan Skinner rated it really liked it
I broke down and read Ann Rule again after several breaks from her. I enjoyed her early books but I have always felt that she "got too big for her britches" so to say. The first story in this book was decent but I was disappointed in all of them to be truthful. As a true crime blogger I know there is often misinformation in the media. My disappointment here was different. In the first story Ann changed the name of one of the perpetrators but since she didn't the others I was able to find informa ...more
Annie
Feb 05, 2017 Annie rated it really liked it
I think this book is really interesting if you are into crime scenes and psychology of humans. I think the author makes it incredibly easy to understand but so don't like that she tells you the end of the story before you read it, and I think there were too many stories entailed in the book. Overall good read!
Carrie Allen
Nov 18, 2012 Carrie Allen rated it it was amazing
I love the Ann Rule Crime File books! They are always so well written. She provides good information that has clearly been researched in an understandable way. I have read many of them throughout the years, and have to say that this collection is probably one of my favorites. It offered something a little different for the main story-which was about a murder between business partners rather than a murder between a man and woman and a relationship gone wrong. The other cases in the book were rela ...more
Kay
Aug 28, 2008 Kay rated it it was ok
Shelves: true-crime
This book consisted of 5 different true crimes stories. The first one took most of the book [296 pages of the 414] and I found it too long. Overall the story was okay, but she managed to drag it out where you wondered if the murderer was ever going to be arrested! Real life I suppose! It was certainly a book I could put down and read another. It took me several months to get thru the whole thing, but once the first story was finished I was able to get thru the other 4 stories in a day or so.
Priscilla
Apr 07, 2013 Priscilla rated it liked it
There is an enormous gap between this volume of Ann Rule's True Cases and the last one that I read ("A Rose for Her Grave", I think it was) in terms of the writing. Rule does a really solid job in this book - very solid, very satisfactory, really decent. I don't know what her editorial situation is, obviously (who is her editor, how much editing her books get, etc.), but at some point she needed her editor or some editor, somewhere, to point at #4: "In the Name of Love" and say, "THIS, Ann. Do T ...more
Jon
Aug 11, 2014 Jon rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those who enjoy true crime novels
I found this audio book at a truck stop, while traveling. She was the only author on the rack with whom I was familiar. I knew it would keep me entertained and awake, while driving. Although this is not one of my favorite Ann Rule novels, I enjoyed it, and she is truly one of the best true crime writers.
Jessica Mays
May 31, 2015 Jessica Mays rated it really liked it
Very affecting. Felt like I knew Jerry Harris by the time I finished. Bothered me that such an exuberant man who would secretly provide Christmas presents to a needy family could be killed so senselessly.
Kathy
Aug 21, 2014 Kathy rated it liked it
This was not one of the better true crime books I have read. To me it dragged on and on at times about the businesses and relationships he had with the 3 main characters involved. I did not go on to read the other stories in this group of books but will at some later time.
Kristen Doherty
Jan 15, 2011 Kristen Doherty rated it liked it
Susan had to go through a lot when her husband was murdered by his so call friend. Steve was a greedy guy that killed his friend for money. Then he went after his friends wife to try and get the money...glad Steve is put away for life.
Stacey Wade
Feb 06, 2014 Stacey Wade rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-owned, rule-ann
As always enjoyed reading this book by Ann Rule. I had not heard of the primary case nor the smaller cases written about in the book, so it was very interesting beyond when I already know of a case being written about. Thank you again Ann Rule.
Rick Barcenas
Jun 25, 2008 Rick Barcenas rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: True Crime Fans
Recommended to Rick by: self
Enjoyed this book, true sad story of a guy who has everything who gets done in by his business partner's greed. What I learned, be careful of those you go into business yet. Never underestimate the other guys greed.
The first story in this anthology should have been a book in it's own right, as that the murder of Jerry Harris was a truly compelling and heart breaking tale. Unfortunately the other stories feel shoe-horned in at the end, and as far as true crime stories go, were pretty bland.
Elyssa
Mar 28, 2013 Elyssa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: truecrime
Ann Rule is my favorite true crime writer. I have read most of her books, but never one that included additional shorter excerpts from her case files. With this book, I enjoyed both the main story and the shorter segments at the end.
Marian
Jan 17, 2009 Marian rated it liked it
i always like her books. true crime is, indeed, better than fiction any day.
Vikki
Oct 13, 2011 Vikki rated it really liked it
The main story in this book was about Susan Harris being murdered in October, 1987 in Danville, California. And then there were four other quick stories. I really like the way Ann Rule writes.
Dindy
May 28, 2012 Dindy rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, mystery
Another stellar true crime from Ann Rule!
Priscilla
Sep 24, 2008 Priscilla marked it as 1
amazon.com
Robin
Jun 12, 2015 Robin rated it liked it
a good story but very slow paced and very bogged down in unnecessary details that seemed like page filler
  • When the Ghost Screams: True Stories of Victims Who Haunt
  • The Riverman: Ted Bundy and I Hunt for the Green River Killer
  • All She Wanted
  • The Confessions of an American Black Widow: A True Story of Greed, Lust and a Murderous Wife
  • Cold Storage
  • Before He Wakes: A True Story of Money, Marriage, Sex and Murder
  • To the Last Breath
  • Never Enough
  • Till Death Us Do Part: A True Murder Mystery
  • Circumstantial Evidence: Death, Life, and Justice in a Southern Town
  • Evil Beside Her
  • Killer Kids: Shocking True Stories Of Children Who Murdered Their Parents (True Crime (St. Martin's Paperbacks))
  • Are You There Alone?: The Unspeakable Crime of Andrea Yates
  • Murder In Brentwood
  • Invisible Darkness
  • While They Slept: An Inquiry Into the Murder of a Family
  • Gone Forever
  • By Their Father's Hand: The True Story of the Wesson Family Massacre
Ann Rule was a popular American true crime writer. Raised in a law enforcement and criminal justice system environment, she grew up wanting to work in law enforcement herself. She was a former Seattle Policewoman and was well educated in psychology and criminology.

She came to prominence with her first book, The Stranger Beside Me, about the Ted Bundy murders. At the time she started researching th
More about Ann Rule...

Crime Files (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • A Rose for Her Grave and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #1)
  • You Belong to Me and Other True Crime Cases (Crime Files, # 2)
  • A Fever in the Heart and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #3)
  • The End of the Dream: The Golden Boy Who Never Grew Up (Crime Files, #5)
  • A Rage to Kill and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #6)
  • Empty Promises and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #7)
  • Last Dance, Last Chance and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #8)
  • Kiss Me, Kill Me and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #9)
  • Worth More Dead and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #10)
  • No Regrets and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #11)