Start by marking “Tongue-Tied: The Lives of Multilingual Children in Public Education” as Want to Read:
Tongue-Tied: The Lives of Multilingual Children in Public Education

Tongue-Tied: The Lives of Multilingual Children in Public Education

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  40 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Tongue-Tied is an anthology that gives voice to millions of people who, on a daily basis, are denied the opportunity to speak in their own language. First-person accounts by Amy Tan, Sherman Alexie, bell hooks, Richard Rodriguez, Maxine Hong Kingston, and many other authors open windows into the lives of linguistic minority students and their experience in coping in school ...more
Paperback, Abridged, 311 pages
Published March 12th 2004 by Rowman & Littlefield Publishers (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Tongue-Tied, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tongue-Tied

Lisa
Jan 28, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any educator, anyone who works with children
Shelves: education
This is an excellent and heart-breaking anthology that every teacher and anyone who works with multi-cultural children should read. It combines historical data with short stories, poems, and book excerpts written by people who went through the experience of being multi-cultural and/or multi-lingual children in the American educational system.
Natalie
Dec 05, 2014 Natalie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was required reading for my 2nd language acquisition class and I have to say I LOVED it. The book is a collection of first-hand accounts of English Language Learning students of their difficulties in public schools intermingled with research articles about best practices in teaching. I would recommend this book to non-teachers as well since issues regarding bilingual education grace our ballots every few years. It never hurts to be informed!
Laura Pamplona
Dec 07, 2015 Laura Pamplona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book for my multilingualism class. I think is a great collection of stories (and poems) for those who do not live in multicultural areas such as New York. It gives you a great perspective of the lives of those who are new to the American culture.
Also great for teachers and those working hard to be teachers. You become more aware of the students in your classroom. The stories by Valdes and Tan were the ones that impacted me the most.
Jamie
Sep 13, 2009 Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting resource, but I often have a tough time finishing non-fiction. It should have been assigned for a class forcing me to finish it. It was good though.
Marion Dickel
Apr 20, 2011 Marion Dickel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stories and poetry from multilingual children about their experiences with public education. Interesting, sad, funny . . .
jacky
Aug 31, 2008 jacky rated it liked it
I was assigned to read two selections from most of the chapters of this book. Overall, I enjoyed the ones I wound up reading.
Otto
Dec 19, 2013 Otto added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I edited it.
Mariah Roeseler
Mariah Roeseler rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Kelsey
Kelsey marked it as to-read
Britt Balde
Britt Balde rated it it was amazing
Alaska Hults
Alaska Hults rated it it was amazing
Maytee
Maytee marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Aly Kronick
Aly Kronick marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Abbie
Abbie marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Kristina Harrison
Kristina Harrison rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2016
Jeff
Jeff rated it liked it
May 03, 2016
Faith
Faith is currently reading it
Feb 04, 2016
Linda Lauberga
Linda Lauberga marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Allison
Allison rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Antonia Tidzump
Antonia Tidzump marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Cassondra
Cassondra rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Paola
Paola marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Tamara Bush
Tamara Bush rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Daisy Rodriguez
Daisy Rodriguez marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Teryn
Teryn rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2015
Alesha Bailes
Alesha Bailes marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Khairi Danish
Khairi Danish marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Zoe Xiuha
Zoe Xiuha marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Tiffini
Tiffini is currently reading it
Jun 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Shelley K. Taylor's review of Tongue-Tied 1 1 Oct 07, 2012 04:36PM
Rodolfo Chavez Chavez's review of Tongue-Tied 1 1 Aug 13, 2012 09:13AM
Shanan Fitts's review of Tongue-Tied 1 1 Aug 13, 2012 09:08AM
I focus on how the mass media inscribe and legitimate social inequity. The American Political Science Association recognized my first book, "Brown Tide Rising: Metaphoric Representations of Latinos in Contemporary American Public Discourse" the Best Book of the year on Ethnic and Racial Politics. The APSA selection committee stated: “In evaluating works in this category, our committee reviewed ove ...more
More about Otto Santa Ana...