Start by marking “In the Presence of a Great Mystery” as Want to Read:
In the Presence of a Great Mystery

In the Presence of a Great Mystery

In this talk, a brilliant summation of his teachings, Eckhart Tolle begins by describing a problem all humans face: a strict sense of self based in personal history, mental interpretations, and memories of the past; a sense that’s forever being reinforced through habitual thought patterns. When listeners identify with these thought patterns, they create what Tolle calls “t ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published September 7th 2006 by New World Library (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about In the Presence of a Great Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Presence of a Great Mystery

Lisa
Apr 07, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: mind-bending
This was my first experience with Tolle and it was a pleasant one. I was worried there would be "hippy dippy mumbo jumbo," but it was more intellectual than I expected. His philosophy is really just an interpretation of Buddhism that is more approachable for Westerners. His central concepts are of consciously objectifying emotions and ceasing all forms of grasping (ie. material or emotional fulfillment). I found the lecture eye-opening and thought provoking. It is a series I will ruminate over f ...more
Kevin Summers
Dec 03, 2014 Kevin Summers rated it really liked it
Sample quote: "Do you live as if past and future matter more than this? As if you didn’t know that this, now, is all there ever is? That you entire life unfolds within the space of now? That your life is never not now?"

By the way, Tolle uses much less humor in this talk than in his other talks that I've heard.
Martha Childers
Want to untangle your mind and gain peace? Tolle explores universal human experiences and shares a way to being in the moment.
Erin
Dec 04, 2010 Erin rated it really liked it
I really like this teacher. He's interesting to me and my life is better every time I read his work.
WhatAnnaWrites (Anna Wawrzyniak)
He's great as always.
Lisa Dickson
Sep 23, 2016 Lisa Dickson rated it really liked it
This conference audio about mindfulness may at first strike some as quirky due to the author's slow speaking for the first disc. There is a method to this peculiar approach, and it is to get you to really listen without anticipating or chafing. Some good insight about the human condition and our minds. Especially helpful for people who are stressed or feeling victimized and want to do something positive about it, this is one I'd selectively recommend.
Rosemary
Jan 02, 2011 Rosemary rated it liked it
I would not recommend this lecture/audiobook to everyone, but if you enjoy topics related to mindfulness and are not too bothered/amused by Tolle's slow delivery, you might enjoy this. It has given me a lot to think about. I appreciate his concept of pain body but wish it were called something else. I plan to read or listen to his other works.
Caitlin
Jul 23, 2008 Caitlin rated it liked it
Good thoughts on consciousness and living in the moment, which is the only time we ever have. Now. Now. I like that idea. Now. But he is a little slow in speaking and it is easy to drown him out. Perhaps it would have been more effective on the page.
Joseph Young
Jun 27, 2012 Joseph Young rated it it was ok
This audio book lacks the punch of some of his other work. It really seems to obsess over forms, which I thought was the opposite of the point his work was trying to make.
Ashley
Feb 22, 2011 Ashley rated it did not like it
what was I thinking? this book trys to make you think it's deep but man... I just think it's a bunch of crap! DON'T READ... WASTE OF TIME
Kip
Kip rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2016
James Marriott
James Marriott marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Christy Robertson
Christy Robertson marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Rebecca Tversky
Rebecca Tversky marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
مَشَاعِل
مَشَاعِل marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Trish V
Trish V is currently reading it
Aug 23, 2016
Ghenadie Virtos
Ghenadie Virtos rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Sérgio Costa
Sérgio Costa marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Rod
Rod rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2016
Maleeha Yousuf
Maleeha Yousuf rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Jurek
Jurek rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Anthony Agonias
Anthony Agonias rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Ms M Clark
Ms M Clark rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2016
Tristy at New World Library
Tristy at New World Library rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2016
Lee Mccluskey
Lee Mccluskey rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Eckhart Tolle , born Ulrich Leonard Tolle, February 16, 1948, is a German-born writer, public speaker, and spiritual teacher. The New York Times has called him "the most popular spiritual author in the nation". He is the author of the bestsellers "The Power of Now" and "A New Earth".
Tolle had an unhappy childhood in Germany and Spain. His depression reached its peak during early adulthood in Engla
More about Eckhart Tolle...