Start by marking “The Walking Dead, Omnibus 1” as Want to Read:
The Walking Dead, Omnibus 1

The Walking Dead, Omnibus 1 (The Walking Dead: Omnibus editions #1)

4.54 of 5 stars 4.54  ·  rating details  ·  441 ratings  ·  25 reviews
This deluxe hardcover features the first 24 issues of the hit series along with the covers for the issues all in one massive, oversized slip-cased volume. Perfect for long time fans, new readers and anyone needing a heavy object with which to fend off The Walking Dead.
Hardcover, Omnibus, 560 pages
Published December 27th 2005 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about The Walking Dead, Omnibus 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Walking Dead, Omnibus 1

I've heard that narratives of zombie apocalypse fulfill our secret wishes to kill friends, family, and neighbors (not to mention strangers). Let me also add that those in the vein of American "survival horror" seem also to mirror, grotesquely, foundational narratives of exploration and colonization. That is, the post-apocalyptic landscape is a defamiliarized landscape, one where dominant social structures have broken down and previous methods of knowing and mapping space are no longer relevant. ...more
I had read these as trade paperbackes when they first came out. Before the TV series, and I didn`t really get hooked. I don`t even know what I did with the trades afterwards, I only know I don`t have them anymore.

Obviously, I`ve watched the TV series from its beginning and have liked it very much... I did get hooked on that one.

So, I thought I`d give the comic another try. And, what the hey, may as well splurge and get the Omnibus hardcovers while I`m at it, right?

I liked it, firstly beacuse of
Ivan Leong
I watched the TV series first and had this urge to read the original comic. Luckily I managed to find a reasonably price copy for this omnibus. In terms of value, this book is slightly too expensive, the art is blowup larger, artwork all black gray white, hardcover binding, minimal embossed (nothing special there) and weighs a ton (not comfortable for reading at all). Whereas the compendium version is cheaper with more contents(omnibus vol 1 and 2 = compendium 1) and share the same paper quality ...more

October good reads
The title of my book is called The Walking Dead, Omnibus 1. The author's name is Robert Kirkman. I love the walking dead tv series and i was really surprised how there are lots of changes from the comics to the show. The main setting is in the lower west of the U.S. The main characters are The Grimes Family which includes Rick, Lori, Carl and Judith ( maybe Shane’s baby.) The story is about Rick waking up from a nine month coma to find the world in shambles. Most peopl
John Wiswell
Aug 14, 2007 John Wiswell rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Horror readers, comics readers, "genre" readers interested in character over gimmicks
This review is in response only to the deluxe hardcover, which contains issues 1-24, and should not be confused with other releases. I've listed my reading date in Nov. 2005 because I have been following the comic since that time.

I only recommend this one (or grabbing all the trade paperbacks that go up to 24) because it tells one complete story in the Walking Dead world. The two artists are similar enough, especially in this black and white style, that the change over at issue 7 isn't a major p
Pfff, hát. Kicsit vontatott, a dialógusok rosszak, a karakterek többsége semmilyen, a nők csak nyaggatják a férfiakat, túl hamar őrülnek meg az emberek, túlmagyarázott dolgok és egyelőre nem látok fejlődést... 2,5* inkább. #vacsimellé #aztmondtákjobblesz
Watched the series, but not read this.
Jan 11, 2010 Eric rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Zombie fans, lovers of good graphic novels
A strong entry in the zombie graphic novel. Good artwork, interesting, if occasionally inconsistent characterization. Tells the standard story of survivors in a world gone mad after being overrun by zombies. As the writer himself says, he aims to create a zombie series without a pat, Hollywood ending. This hardback edition, the first 24 comics, accomplishes that goal - it nicely captures the frustration, desperation and general survival instinct of the group of main characters. Definitely recomm ...more
Robert de Roos
I watched the show before reading the comics and i have to say that the comics are a real improvement. I expected it to be a retelling of the TV series, but i was surprised to see that the comic had a much different story, and maybe a better one too.
The only negative thing i can think about right now is that there is something missing from the TV show that i really was looking forward to read about... i won't say what cause that would be a spoiler, but maybe it's in the next volume.. i certainl
Garrett Mccutcheon
Gorey, gritty, and fantastic. I've not watched any of the AMC series, but after reading this I think I might have to. The characters are engaging, the art is great. The story is perhaps a wee bit formulaic and predictable, but hey! it's fun.
Elise Oliver
Kirkman is nothing short of a genius. I love everything about this series. It delves into all the questions we have about humanity, loss, insanity and post apocalyptic flesh eating zombies. The storyline is wonderful and really makes you question your own humanity in a way I never thought possible. Harrowing and tormenting in some parts. Beautifully gory in others. A must must must read for any zombie or apocalypse lover. They are the greatest horror based graphic novels out there.
Sep 28, 2008 Dan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
The Walking Dead is an exceptional book. Ostensibly a zombie comic, the book is largely character-driven. Not surprisingly, it is the characters that make The Walking Dead stand out. The writing is top-notch with believable plots and terrific dialogue. The art is black and white with gray tones and fits the story well. This gigantic slipcover edition is great for the larger page size and extras. If the price is too much, get the singles, trades, or hardcovers—it’s worth it.
For my first journey into comics my friend recommended this book. At first it was a little difficult for me to get into. The art was stunning, but it felt like every other zombie plot I'd ever heard, until half way in. From there I found twists and turns and depths of plot I had not anticipated. I particularly liked the ending of book one. It opened the door to many possibilities and peaked a few questions I hope to have answered soon.
Epic post-apocalyptic zombie tale. But, when it comes right down to it, it's not even about the zombies so much as it is about the people left to fight them. Naturally, it's clear that a primary point is that it's pretty easy for humans to become the real monsters. Indeed, there are parts without zombies that are far more chilling than any horde. Brutal, but well-written and occasionally thought-provoking.
Chuck Pratt
Easily one of the best graphic novel franchises out there. And Kirkman is a super nice guy, as well. I met him while he ws signing books at the Lexington Movie Tavern during the opening night premiere of Zombieland, and he was extremely freindly and down to earth. The story id very well crafted, the characters are gritty and believable and the art really fits the tenor of the series.
Entertaining, especially for fans of zombie flicks. But on the other hand, and I don't know if this is just because I've been out of the 'graphic novel loop' for so long, the characters and dialogues seemed a little too hokey for me. Not intentionally campy, just cliched. But still fun, and very well paced.
Simon Gosden
This is a monstrous book in all respects. It's heavy, heavy enough to brain a walker but it is also a stunning read. Black and white graphic novels have a certain power and combine that with this apocalyptic nature of the zombie catastrophe and you have a wondrous piece of work.
Darren Hupke
Most people who have not read this should know it is not just some gory zombie story, but a really interesting character driven drama SET in a post-apocalyptic zombie world. One of my all-time favorite comics.
Apr 27, 2009 Laura rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Laura by: Mike
Picks up a lot after you get past whats in the first trade PB. It grew on me as the characters developed. Still think that the intentions are better than the execution, but worth a read.
Because I needed some more of it in my life while my other book awaits my return to the West Coast.
Mike Horne
I will wait until I finish #2. But so far an impressive comic (much darker than the TV show).
I cannot even express how much I want to own this!
awesome!!!!!!!!!! cant wait to get the next volume!
Jim Hardison
Wow. Darkness that never relents.
Isa marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Joshua is currently reading it
Nov 17, 2015
  • Star Wars: Darth Vader and the Lost Command
  • Falling Skies
  • Charmed: Season 9, Volume 3
  • The Goon, Volume 9: Calamity of Conscience
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: A Stake to the Heart (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #7 Buffy Season 1)
More about Robert Kirkman...

The Walking Dead: Omnibus editions (6 books)
  • The Walking Dead, Omnibus 2