Start by marking “Nelson's Daughter” as Want to Read:
Nelson's Daughter

Nelson's Daughter

Alongside his brilliant naval career, Lady Hamilton was Nelson's other great obsession, and this intimate portrait of their love affair illustrates how England's most celebrated admiral was captivated by this vivacious, strong-minded and passionate woman, who began life in poverty yet rose to marry an aristocrat and to consort with kings. But it is the complex relationship ...more
Published February 14th 2005 by Hodder & Stoughton General Division (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Nelson's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nelson's Daughter

Misha
Dec 26, 2010 Misha rated it it was ok
Another book I wouldn't have across without the Orange Prize nomination. Nelson's Daughter is a very believable portrayal of the scandalous affair between Lord Nelson and Emma Hamilton. This could have been an amazing book, but it completely fell short of its potential.

Some of my thoughts about why Nelson's Daughter disappointed me:
- Good, in fact a great premise, but weak execution
- Too many unnecessary details! At times I felt I was bombarded with facts.
- Flat, boring characters. With the exce
Perry Whitford
Apr 11, 2012 Perry Whitford rated it it was ok
Thin, underwhelming story about the illegitimate daughter of Lord Nelson and Lady Hamilton.

Raised in ignorance of her parentage yet living with both of them for much of her youth as their supposed "god-daughter", Horatia experiences some of the highs which immortalized the scandalous couple before Nelson's death at Trafalger when she was just five, as well as the crushing lows of her mothers subsequent decline into obesity, alcoholism and poverty.

Hearn tells the story of the glorious affair and
Alka
The good part was it is a historical novel, based on a real life. The premise was interesting; Admiral Nelson has an illicit affair with a friends wife and their daughter is raised by the mother without disclosing that she is Infact the mother. This is not a spoiler, this much is written on the jacket. What is not so good is the lack of depth and sensitivity with which the emotions are dealt. Most parts appear like Travails of someone living with an alcoholic. There are some parts which half hea ...more
Molly
Mar 30, 2012 Molly rated it it was ok
Even setting aside the plethora of historical details (which any half-decent writer could have gleaned from a good library!), the scenes detailing the underlying "story" (girl lives with declining alcoholic godmother while wondering who her real mother was) are too thin and repetitive to warrant 250 pages. A great disappointment.
Anne
May 24, 2011 Anne rated it liked it
I found this book boring. I thought the historical facts interesting, about the lives of Nelson, his lover Emma Hamilton, and their daughter Horatia. Although she found out after his death, that Nelson was her father, she never knew that Lady Emma Hamilton was her mother.
Bachyboy
Apr 19, 2010 Bachyboy rated it it was ok
This book was ok; I just felt it couldn't make up its mind whetjer it was a novel or a history book. Horatia believes Nelson and Emma Hamilton are her godparents and that's about it really.
Sara
Jul 29, 2011 Sara marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
05 long list-orange prize
Kathleen McRae
a quick read and a bit hard to follow at times with its timeline a sad story
Rachel
Jan 03, 2008 Rachel rated it it was ok
Shelves: never-finished
Hmm, it's a bit slow going so I threw it over for a more pacy read. Think that I might return to it. Feb 12 - didn't get much further with it and took it back to the library.
Adri
Jan 13, 2015 Adri rated it it was ok
I found this book disjointed and not interesting at all. I was hoping for so much more. I am quite disappointed.
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2015
Susanne
Susanne rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2014
Jodi
Jodi rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2012
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2012
Allison
Allison rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Misha
Misha rated it it was ok
Dec 24, 2010
Sarah Scaddan
Sarah Scaddan rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Anna Bayes
Anna Bayes rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2013
Deb Mccormack
Deb Mccormack rated it it was ok
Apr 01, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2012
Christi
Christi rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2012
Samantha
Samantha rated it it was ok
Sep 04, 2013
Robin
Robin rated it it was ok
Jul 08, 2012
Krista
Krista rated it it was ok
Dec 29, 2012
Moira Flannery
Moira Flannery rated it did not like it
Sep 13, 2012
Kyri Freeman
Kyri Freeman rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it it was ok
May 16, 2010
Anette Aas
Anette Aas rated it it was ok
Nov 29, 2015