Start by marking “Nelson's Daughter” as Want to Read:
Nelson's Daughter

Nelson's Daughter

2.47 of 5 stars 2.47  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Alongside his brilliant naval career, Lady Hamilton was Nelson's other great obsession, and this intimate portrait of their love affair illustrates how England's most celebrated admiral was captivated by this vivacious, strong-minded and passionate woman, who began life in poverty yet rose to marry an aristocrat and to consort with kings. But it is the complex relationship ...more
Unknown Binding
Published February 14th 2005 by Not Avail (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Nelson's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nelson's Daughter

Misha
Another book I wouldn't have across without the Orange Prize nomination. Nelson's Daughter is a very believable portrayal of the scandalous affair between Lord Nelson and Emma Hamilton. This could have been an amazing book, but it completely fell short of its potential.

Some of my thoughts about why Nelson's Daughter disappointed me:
- Good, in fact a great premise, but weak execution
- Too many unnecessary details! At times I felt I was bombarded with facts.
- Flat, boring characters. With the exce
Perry Whitford
Thin, underwhelming story of the illegitimate daughter of Lord Nelson and Lady Hamilton.
Raised in ignorance of her parentage yet living with both of them for much of her youth as their supposed "god-daughter", Horatia experiences some of the highs that characterized the scandalous couple before Nelson's death at Trafalger when she was just five, as well as the crushing lows of her mothers subsequent decline into obesity, alcoholism and poverty.

Hearn tells the stories of Horatia's and Emma's fina
Molly
Even setting aside the plethora of historical details (which any half-decent writer could have gleaned from a good library!), the scenes detailing the underlying "story" (girl lives with declining alcoholic godmother while wondering who her real mother was) are too thin and repetitive to warrant 250 pages. A great disappointment.
Anne
I found this book boring. I thought the historical facts interesting, about the lives of Nelson, his lover Emma Hamilton, and their daughter Horatia. Although she found out after his death, that Nelson was her father, she never knew that Lady Emma Hamilton was her mother.
Bachyboy
This book was ok; I just felt it couldn't make up its mind whetjer it was a novel or a history book. Horatia believes Nelson and Emma Hamilton are her godparents and that's about it really.
Rachel
Hmm, it's a bit slow going so I threw it over for a more pacy read. Think that I might return to it. Feb 12 - didn't get much further with it and took it back to the library.
Kathleen McRae
a quick read and a bit hard to follow at times with its timeline a sad story
Sara
Jul 29, 2011 Sara marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
05 long list-orange prize
Zoë
Zoë marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Sylvia
Sylvia marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Halah
Halah marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Scott
Scott added it
Aug 27, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Kaye
Kaye marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Judith
Judith marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2014
Sigrun
Sigrun marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2013
Jael
Jael marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2013
Kristin Marie
Kristin Marie marked it as to-read
May 11, 2013
Jewls
Jewls marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2013
Fiona Hocking
Fiona Hocking marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2013