Start by marking “Things I Have Learned In My Life So Far” as Want to Read:
Things I Have Learned In My Life So Far

Things I Have Learned In My Life So Far

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  1,334 ratings  ·  39 reviews
This book began as a list designer Stefan Sagmeister made in his diary under the title Things I have learned in my life so far, which includes statements such as "Worrying solves nothing" and "Trying to look good limits my life." The list reveals something that is profoundly true: Although human beings have been pursuing happiness for countless generations, it is not so ea ...more
Published February 1st 2008 by Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Things I Have Learned In My Life So Far, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Things I Have Learned In My Life So Far

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldLife of Pi by Yann MartelTwilight by Stephenie MeyerMaps and Legends by Michael ChabonA Million Little Pieces by James Frey
Favorite book covers
9th out of 148 books — 59 voters
The Elements of Typographic Style by Robert BringhurstThe Little Know-It-All by Robert KlantenThe Creative Habit by Twyla TharpInside the Business of Graphic Design by Catharine M. FishelTypography Sketchbooks by Steven Heller
Graphic Design
30th out of 79 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

A
Feb 08, 2009 A rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: read-2009
Sagmeister is a pretentious a**, and this book bangs you over the head with that realization repeatedly and frequently. Thankfully the way it does that is through innovative, gorgeous, controversial, and downright batsh*t insane type design and installation art, here packaged as a nifty bundle of signatures in a crazy laser-cut slipcase with interchangeable faces. 5 for the design/visuals + 2 lack of real ideas/content = 3.5 overall.

NB: This is NOT in any way a monograph of Sagmeister, Inc. For
Ryan
Stefan Sagmeister is much-loved by the design community and is emulated by scruffy design students around the globe. For a while I was weary of how self-referential his work is, until I went to a talk he gave at my former college, where his charm and wit quickly outweighed my reservations about the guy. It is really hard not to like Stefan Sagmeister.

This series of 14 booklets each outlines one or two pithy maxims per booklet (i.e. "Material luxuries are best enjoyed in small doses" or "Complain
Salem
"Trying to look good limits my life."

"Thinking that life will be better in the future is stupid. I have to live now."

"Complaining is silly. Either act or forget."

"Low expectations are a good strategy."
J.A.
Not only are Sagmeister's creations innovative, but the book that showcases them joins them as a reworking of an everyday item into something extraordinary. The fifteen folios have individual covers and the casing has a porous face, allowing the reader to customize the look of the book. Inside the folios are the typographical displays Sagmeister created to state the aphorisms he began writing in his diary, along with a brief explanation of each one. One of the sayings, "If I want to explore a ne ...more
Jeff
I think Stefan Sagmeister is my favorite designer. His previous design book "Made You Look" is a classic. His new one is even better. The "book" is made up of 14 separate small pamphlets, that live in a "box" with Sagmeister's face on it. The face on the box has elaborate holes cut in it, and depending on the order of the pamphlets inside, the cover can look 14 different ways. The pamphlets document design projects that were based on a list of aphorisms about "things I've learned," like "Low Exp ...more
James
One of my favorite designers. Sagmeister is (at least to me) the epitome of what a graphic designer should be. He also fulfills my theory that the best designers are also hilarious.

This book is full of brilliant advice, hilarious (and also surprisingly touching) advice/observations on his life. There are a literal list of things he has learned, each accompanied by beautiful and inventive work that will inspire you. It’s hilarious, conceptual, smart, and most of all relevant. To everyone. The on
Marcus
“Organising a charity group is surprisingly easy. Running a charity is surprisingly hard. Once the initial euphoria and energy evaporates the project turned into a regular and repetitive endeavour. I tried to circumvent this by looking for and finding successors to organise subsequent months, which worked reasonably well for a number of years until the job of finding a successor itself became repetitive and, with me teaching a semester abroad the program came to a halt” - Sagmeister.

Like the Pie
J-ray ʎɐɹ-ɾ
I enjoyed reading about Sagmeister's process and found this collection of projects inspiring to push myself further than usual. Never settle for safe and boring design.
Jen
Ironically I'm not particularly interested in what Sagmeister has to say, because he says it all in his ambitious typographic installations, but I do love the format of the book/s.

I got to see him speak at agIdeas conference this year, and he speaks pretty much of the work in this book. Not particularly motivating to my surprise, but still provoked some reaction in me, which is more than I can say for other designers that spoke. I can see why his holier-than-thou posturing will "annoy" some thou
Emma
This book features the work of graphic designer, Stephan Sagmeister, from a project Things I Have Learn in my Life So Far. My younger sister, Theresa (who is studying graphic design), received this book for Christmas and recommended it... even though the design of the book itself is enough to recommend itself! I gave this title a five star rating to commend Sagmeister's ideologies and works... and for putting together a one-of-a-kind book! If you are looking for a better understanding/appreciati ...more
Justin
the koans are great but his own smugness detracts.
Zee
This book has a very original layout and design combined with words of wisdom that applies to creative work and life. I definitely recommend.
Jon
This is more a design concept than a book. There are literally endless possibilities with the cover—the loose signatures can be rotated within the book case to create different effects under/through the portrait of the author's face. Pretty amazing. The maxims are very simple, yet provide valuable insights, and the essays are short and to the point. Not much reading here, so don't expect to take this one on a plane or to the beach. Awesome packaging from Sagmeister and his team.
Erin
I'll keep it short and sweet. I find Sagmeister to be a bit pretentious, and I am jealous he is able to take time out from working to make these great pieces of work, but they are great pieces. I really love the organic type, the actual statements and the thought put into relating the words to the elements and process of the work. Plus, as someone who loves to change things around regularly, I love that the packaging allows me to switch out the "cover" as my moods change.
Joanne Roach-Evans
I was not sure what I would think of this book...but I was pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed it! Some of the typography installations were really clever and surprising - but many were just okay.
What I really enjoyed was the concepts and processes behind the maxims. I was not familiar with Sagmeister's work prior to this (where have I been?) but now that I know of him I'm intrigued to see more of his work. This book was refreshing and inspiring!
Caroline
This is a book by my favorite designer, Stefan Sagmeister, that i absolutely love. it contains simple life lessons coupled with amazing graphics/imagery and awesome, awesome, awesome packaging! i don't know if non designers would enjoy it, i imagine that the overall message is universal. i love reading this book because it is incredibly inspiring and is a constant reminder that "complaining is silly. either do something about it or shut up".
Eric
These days, design monographs really bore me, so I give design's patron saint and resident rock star his due for an inspiring read. He does amazing work, seems like a genuine, down to earth guy, and spared us the nude self-portraits this time around. But it's the honesty of his writing that endears him most. All in all a humbling and inspiring experience. I wish I knew him personally.
Stephanie Stanton
Would have preferred a little more text... It's a design book and the work needs to speak for itself, but getting inside the head of the designer in his own words would have been great. A nice bonus is the dynamic cover - makes a bold statement and not seen among many other works. Overall a creative and inspiring capture from a classic designer.
Kaylee
I found this at a Half Price Book's and the cover immediately caught my attention. Sagmeister is able to use photography and the stories that come from the actual taking of the photos to reinforce each "thing he has learned". I hardly can decide whether to re-read it or display it. It's a work of art.
Liz
Feb 07, 2010 Liz added it
I was inspired by a video I saw online of a talk give by Stefan Sagmeister so I decided to take a look at his book. It's not really a book, but a set of short life lessons boxed together. No page numbers that I can see so I hope this will let me give updates without page number.
Lena
Just pretentious enough to make one inspired. Exactly what I would look for from this man and this book.
Mathew
A wonderful book full of great design features. The book is a piece of art and every section delights. The process of each design session is discussed in the text - the text is the weakest part of a fantastic book. The art and design projects displayed are awesome.
Matthew Herring
There is nothing quite like outside the box thinking to put a new spin on design, and Stefan Sagmeister is the king of out-of-box thinking. I only hope my paths through design lead me in as many different directions as his journey has.
Patricia
Yes as stated "a design book for non-designers". It was interesting to see how it takes his own developed maxims into creative outputs bordering between art and design.
Ryan Gallagher
Sagmeister is a design genius and this book encompasses his creative voice. Even if you're not a fan of his style, the packaging alone with the interchangeable covers makes this worth the purchase.
Christine
just visual fun. what a dream, to get the financial support to close your successful graphic design firm for a year and work on a personal project. this is the result.
Bob Hartley
While it definitely got me into typography in college, this artefact seems to me something you'd leave on your shelf and lend out to people now and again.
Kat
Brilliant, strange and compellingly simple - these are witty takes on a personal vision. Mesmerizing - take them in small doses as they can overload the eye.
R.Friend
Pure inspiration. A wonderful set of values and mantras to live by, packaged and presented as only Sagmeister can.
Marcus
this guy is a genius, hes so smart and has some amazing use of typography. he puts himself into his artwork.
  • Sagmeister: Made You Look
  • How to be a Graphic Designer Without Losing Your Soul
  • Make It Bigger
  • The Anatomy of Design: Uncovering the Influences and Inspirations in Modern Graphic Design
  • How to Think Like a Great Graphic Designer
  • 79 Short Essays on Design
  • Hand Job: A Catalog of Type
  • Fingerprint: The Art of Using Hand-Made Elements in Graphic Design
  • Meggs' History of Graphic Design
  • The End of Print: The Graphic Design of David Carson
  • A Smile in the Mind
  • The Design of Dissent: Socially and Politically Driven Graphics
  • Grid Systems in Graphic Design/Raster Systeme Fur Die Visuele Gestaltung (German and English Edition)
  • Making and Breaking the Grid: A Graphic Design Layout Workshop
  • Paul Rand: Conversations with Students
  • Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing & Ethical Guidelines
  • Designing Design
  • Stop Stealing Sheep & Find Out How Type Works
Stefan Sagmeister (born 1962 in Bregenz, Austria) is a New York-based graphic designer and typographer. He has his own design firm—Sagmeister Inc.—in New York City. He has designed album covers for Lou Reed, OK Go, The Rolling Stones, David Byrne, Aerosmith and Pat Metheny.
More about Stefan Sagmeister...
Made You Look Sagmeister: Another Book about Promotion and Sales Material Stefan Sagmeister: The Happy Film: A Pitchbook F Stop Catalog #1 Abstract 05|06