Start by marking “Dinners and Nightmares” as Want to Read:
Dinners and Nightmares

Dinners and Nightmares

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Dinners and Nightmares is a highly experimental collage of genres, including plays, conversations, interior monologues, free verse, and lists, a postmodern text long before that term become mainstreamed. It remains a powerful testament to the complications and triumphs of Beat bohemia for women.

Publisher Last Gasp proud to bring back this early Beat classic Diane di Prima
Published January 1st 2009 by Last Gasp,U.S. (first published March 2nd 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Dinners and Nightmares, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dinners and Nightmares

On the Road by Jack KerouacHowl and Other Poems by Allen GinsbergThe Dharma Bums by Jack KerouacNaked Lunch by William S. BurroughsJunky by William S. Burroughs
Beat Lit
55th out of 148 books — 117 voters
Visions by Lauren KleverBlood Slave by Travis LuedkeFallen by Lauren KateNightshade by Andrea CremerThe Hollow Dolls by M.T. Dahl
best book covers
302nd out of 453 books — 224 voters

More lists with this book...

Brendan
Rating: Soft 4, though I wonder if 3 1/2 might be more accurate.

From Robert Creeley's intro: She is beautifully warm, but her nature balks at false responses. She is true.

Hits and misses: a lot of misses, but in the boring, mediocre sense; not in the 'so horrible' sense. The down and out vibe is strong with this one. The need for more cash or fire wood, the presence of rats and roaches, etc. Slang is sprinkled throughout: fuzz, drag, pad, dig, cut, kicking off, a gas, etc. But it gives her writi
Alexandra Naughton
It's fun to look back on old poems and stories I wrote back in high-school and college, interesting to see how I've developed as a writer, comparing old work with what I'm doing now.

A lot of it reads very naive and sophomoric, but some of it really isn't that bad. A few pieces I read and was surprised by the creativity-- a travel brochure for joining a cult, something I had written while sitting in class, bored. What led me to write something like that?

I re-read recently Dinners and Nightmares,
Donald Armfield
Beatnik writing is hate it or love it. The off beat writing sometimes makes no sense and leaves you thinking. but Prima's work here is different.

The first section is about eating food. Where, When, with Who and what she ate. boring.
The second section is the nightmares which I thought was the best part of the book. As for the rest of the sections they kinda sit in with the the first section.

I will plan on reading more of her work. One of the few beatnik woman writers.
M.F. Soriano
Very unbalanced. In the start it's pretty great--specifically the first four sections, with their exuberance and colloquialisms, but actually when you think about it it's very much like Kerouac and all his run-ons--then by the time it gets to 'Conversations' it gets monotonous, and by the end the reader is served up a dose of 'Some Early Prose' that was written while di Prima was in her late-teens/early-twenties and it sounds in the worst way exactly like something written by someone in their la ...more
Raven Rakia
I struggled whether or not to give this book a 3 or 4 rating. In real life, it's floating somewhere in between, a number with 3 decimal places that you can't put your finger on which perhaps is what effect all pieces of literature should have on you. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this, and I could tell while reading it that it's not diPrima's best work but she is definitely very talented and reading it was quite delightful (saying it was 'entertaining' makes it seem frivolous, which it was not). ...more
Jack Waters
I liked the book, but I prefer di Prima's poetry and prose over her memoir-type writing. I really liked the section on Nightmares as well as the one on Conversations. The Dinner section read to me the way Instagram pictures look to me.
Tracy
Her life in NY. The Nightmares are probably my favorite. Also, the conversations made me feel up close and personal with her. Would suggest to people who have lived in NY without tons of cash. : )
There was only one time ever it was cool to end a sentence with "but" (unless you live in Donegal) and it was done in this book.
Andrew
My favorite parts were the dinners, and the nightmares. Especially the "Onward Christian Roaches" nightmare.
SmarterLilac
I love this, too. DiPrima has amazing heart.
Lily Tharp
Gorgeous poetry (by a beatnik women!)
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Stephanie Brosius
Stephanie Brosius marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
John Weaver
John Weaver marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Kitanarose
Kitanarose marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Jerrod
Jerrod marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Olga Carrizales
Olga Carrizales marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Merinde
Merinde marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Macha Marvillet
Macha Marvillet marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Madeline
Madeline marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Poems for the Millennium, Vol. 2: Modern and Postmodern Poetry from Postwar to Millennium
  • Postmodern American Poetry: A Norton Anthology
  • One Love Affair: A Million Wallowing Anemones, a Thousand Eyes Peeping Through, a Thousand Spies Shivering, Unnamable Endless Flowerings, Countless Empty Bottles, Twelve Flowers, Eleven Trees, Eight Fruits, Four Vegetables, Four Peppers, Two Enemas, Tw...
  • Awake
  • I Have to Go Back to 1994 and Kill a Girl: Poems
  • The Work of a Common Woman: The Collected Poetry of Judy Grahn, 1964-1977
  • Roasting-A Simple Art
  • Modern Life
Diane Di Prima is an American poet.
More about Diane di Prima...
Memoirs of a Beatnik Recollections of My Life as a Woman: The New York Years Revolutionary Letters Pieces of a Song: Selected Poems Loba