Start by marking “Unimaginable Zero Summer: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Unimaginable Zero Summer: A Novel

Unimaginable Zero Summer: A Novel

Perhaps you too have experienced the nausea brought on by the arrival of an invitation to a high school reunion.

Bookstore clerk and culture junker Verity Presti will soon attend her fifteenth reunion with her boyfriend, the unfortunately but aptly named Charlie Brown, who lives with his parents while training to be an urban shaman—a modern-day medicine man somewhat capabl
Published April 26th 2005 by Three Rivers Press (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Unimaginable Zero Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unimaginable Zero Summer

Jess Riley
Apr 02, 2013 Jess Riley rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK! Leslie Stella is my new author crush. So smart, witty, endearing...quirky yet accessible characters, incredible lines. A reviewer on amazon (MC Quake) perfectly summed up my feelings on this one (Leslie has a "keen eye for the absurdity of the mundane"). I'd just attempted to read a bestselling (but HORRIBLY written) book, and this was the perfect antidote.

On to Permanent Record!
Jeanne
Apr 09, 2015 Jeanne rated it really liked it
Leslie Stella does it again!

Verity Presti has no desire to attend her 15-year high school reunion. Why would she? She’s a bookstore clerk, and she’s dating a man named Charlie Brown.

The good news is, Verity’s high school friends don’t really feel great about the reunion either. One friend, Will, is a KJ (karaoke jockey). See? Verity’s not doing so poorly after all.

The greatness of this novel comes from two places: the setting (Chicago) and Stella’s humor. Leslie Stella knows Chicago, and she kn
Kristin Dow
May 27, 2015 Kristin Dow rated it it was ok
Second book to read from this writer. Had some memorable lines, but found it hard to keep the couples straight; they seemed too much alike, miserable and lost. Quirky cast but didn't become invested in any of their experiences.
Susan Reed
Sep 29, 2015 Susan Reed rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
poor, rambling, pointless
Kacper
Aug 15, 2014 Kacper rated it liked it
Surprisingly good and funny
Allison
This was a funny, quick read and I could relate to it as a few years back I went to my 10 year high school reunion. I love the character Verity and share her appreciation for thrifting. And her boyfriend, Charlie Brown the aspiring Urban Shaman was funny. I liked how relatable the characters were and reminded me of people I know.
kelly
Feb 26, 2007 kelly rated it it was ok
Simple quick read...witty and funny...characters I can relate to...takes place in Chicago and is fun to read about the neighborhood I live in...sometimes the main character is kinda annoying. Stella sometimes adds fantastic events in her books which can either be funny or just completely unbelievable
Jul 21, 2009 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Normally I like flawed characters. The main flaw for these characters is their self absorption. I found it difficult to tell them apart. But I would say the book improved as I continued reading.
Susan
Oct 23, 2012 Susan rated it liked it
I really like the author's writing style. The story wasn't what I expected it to be, but it was entertaining.
Jenn
Apr 09, 2012 Jenn rated it it was ok
Ehhh, it was ok. Felt disjointed and rambling alot.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Carlos
Carlos rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2015
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2015
Lori M
Lori M added it
Apr 14, 2015
Retrollama
Retrollama marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Hanifa Ismail
Hanifa Ismail rated it it was ok
Jan 26, 2015
Molly
Molly added it
Dec 25, 2014
Michelle Penson
Michelle Penson rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Zahra Mctammany
Zahra Mctammany rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2014
Jennifer Kalen
Jennifer Kalen marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Jenny Tenorio
Jenny Tenorio rated it it was ok
Aug 08, 2014
Sharon Porcaro
Sharon Porcaro rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2014
Trisha
Trisha marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Roseanne
Roseanne rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
LESLIE STELLA is the author of the YA novel, Permanent Record (March 2013, Skyscape), and three previous novels of contemporary adult fiction, Unimaginable Zero Summer, The Easy Hour, and Fat Bald Jeff. She was a founding editor of the Chicago-based politics and satire magazine Lumpen, and her work has been published in The Mississippi Review, The Adirondack Review, Bust, Easy Listener, and anthol ...more
More about Leslie Stella...