Start by marking “Ghost Writer” as Want to Read:
Ghost Writer

Ghost Writer

A man who has become estranged from his faith begins to question his life when he comes into possession of an anonymous manuscript entitle The Story of My Life..
Published October 1st 2000 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Ghost Writer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost Writer

A.M. Heath
Aug 19, 2016 A.M. Heath rated it it was amazing
What I Loved: How would you feel if your darkest secrets were written into a book? Jonathan Harper had to figure this out the hard way.
I was SO impressed with Ghost Writer. It was a page turner. I went to bed thinking about it and I couldn’t wait to pick it back up again. Gutteridge did an amazing job weaving together a suspenseful mystery together with a solid gospel presentation. The characters were well developed. The mysterious manuscript and its writer will keep you guessing.
Ghost Writer in
Robert Gilbert
Aug 30, 2015 Robert Gilbert rated it really liked it
This is one of those books I’d love to pass out to people and say “Don’t read it for the plot. Read it for the message.” The author managed to squeeze three storylines into one book, three plots unraveling all at once, and do it well. But in the end, the outcome was predictable. Still, it’s a new illustration of an old message, and she did it well.

I noticed that there is some criticism amongst the reviews for being “predictable” at the end. What I have to point out is that, reading between the l
Aug 14, 2013 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Read over some of these reviews and want to congratulate Ms. Gutteridge. A great book I absolutely loved. The one star reviews are mostly from folks disappointed in the "religious" aspects of the story. In my opinion that is a great accomplishment by the author. A spiritually enriching story with deep personal meaning is a criticism I would gladly embrace.

I have to admit that the ending was predictable. I wasn't in suspense too much about "who did it" because I thought I knew from the beginning
Jan 04, 2010 Patty rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
This book is badly written and edited, including using words incorrectly. Redundant is one I remember. However, there is something about the premise that keeps me reading. Themes of middle-aged man falling out of love with his wife, not having time for his family, begin attracted to young co-worker who adores him...not interesting. However, there is a main plot involving a manuscript he receives which is pretty intriguing. I am also interested in the world of publishing, since I worked at a publ ...more
Sep 29, 2014 Cindy rated it it was ok
This book was interesting in how it was written, with three stories going on at once. If one is a Christian, it isn't hard to figure out what is being alluded to. This book felt somewhat disjointed, though. The character of Zippy annoyed me because he was such a dweeb and quite condescending, but then I was to "buy" that he would be the one who would speak words of Christian wisdom to Jonathan? Nope, not buying it!
Aug 07, 2011 Kristine rated it liked it
Shelves: finished-in-2011
Good solid book. Didn't realize right away that it was a spin off of a different book by Rene Gutteridge, I think that one's called Paperback Writer. Solid story, moves along pretty well. I have gotten overly used to spy thrillers so this felt slow compared to that. But that's also the reason I never finished Paperback Writer. But it's a solid, good way to spend some time.
Andrea Ludwig
Mar 02, 2012 Andrea Ludwig rated it liked it
I had expected something totally different when I read the description for this book. I had thought it was going to be about a famous author who had other people writing her books for her. Instead, it focused on a marriage relationship and the husband's preoccupation with his job. Quite insightful and not too far out there.
Aug 28, 2015 Leighann rated it really liked it
Really interesting story, with good balance! The stories within the story angle was unique, but not overly confusing or hard to follow. There was tension between the characters, but not so much that I wanted to reach through the pages and slap them (although there were a few times I had to roll my eyes). I loved the Gospel allegory!
Mar 09, 2013 Vivian rated it it was ok
I gave it two stars because I did have to finish it...I wanted to see what happened. However, like most books in which the author has a definitive message he or she wants to get across, the book comes across as sappy. Everything has to be too neatly arranged and explained. It just makes it feel fake and feel-goody.
Jun 11, 2011 Debbie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Excellent, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. I didn't know what was going to happen next. The ending was a huge surprise that you don't see coming, but it is still good!!! Great book, definitely a must read.
Maria Elmvang
Jul 07, 2007 Maria Elmvang rated it really liked it
An editor suddenly receives a manuscript describing his own life. Who's writing this? Is he and his family in any danger? A brilliant book that keeps you guessing until the very end. I'd love to read more of his books.
Sep 01, 2014 Brenda rated it liked it
A good book with an interesting plot line. Almost gave it a 4 star, but if I can figure out "who dunnit" early on and see how the end plays out, I can't give it a 4. But still a very good book to read! Great message too!
Massanutten Regional Library
Cheryl, Main patron, June 2015, 4 stars:

This book took me awhile to decide if I really wanted to stick with it. The reason being, it has three plots going at the same time, and they are all aimed at the same main male character. Interesting enough, but not my favorite.
April Nichole
Mar 09, 2016 April Nichole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: currently-own
This was the first book that I read Rene's. It had me hooked the whole time. I kept trying to figure out what was going on but it was a great twist. My copy has fallen a part. I have to track down another one so I read it again.
Oct 04, 2010 Natalya rated it really liked it
Didn't care for this first foray into Gutteridge's work. Weak writing, weak plot progression, and disappointing conclusion.
Deb Brammer
Aug 23, 2014 Deb Brammer rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It was a real page-turner. She set up a situation that seemed impossible and I couldn't wait to see what was really going on. Very enjoyable.
Apr 17, 2016 Beth rated it really liked it
It's just too hard to put this book down. There's sort of three stories in this book. A great read, but make sure you have the time to devote to it because you really won't want to put this one down.
Aug 13, 2007 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Shelves: fun
Typical Christian fiction. Mystery was okay, gospel presentation good, but got a little long in the end where I was just wishing she would wrap it up and tell us who did it.
Jun 10, 2010 Vikki rated it liked it
An editor in a publishing house life is going screwy. This story tells how he got back on track. There were three plots going at once in this book. It was good.
Cherie Waggie
Oct 29, 2013 Cherie Waggie rated it really liked it
Weird and a little confusing which only leads to an interesting story, but the end is a little predictable.
Mary rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2009
peggy sparks
peggy sparks rated it did not like it
Aug 26, 2015
Franka rated it liked it
May 19, 2016
Marian Baay
Marian Baay rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2013
Jhaugen rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2016
Kara Hunt
Kara Hunt rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2010
April rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2015
Pamela Trawick
Pamela Trawick rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2008
Claire rated it it was ok
May 25, 2014
Melanie rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Dread Champion
  • The Great Divide
  • One by One (Dani Ross Mystery #1)
  • Ever Present Danger (Phantom Hollow Series, #1)
  • Lost and Found
  • Shattered Justice (Family Honor Series #1)
  • Dead Air
  • Presumption of Guilt (Sun Coast Chronicles, #4)
  • The Soul Saver
  • Abduction (A Shefford-Johnson Case, #1)
  • Secrets, Lies and   Alibis
  • Whirlpool (The Julesburg Mysteries #1)
  • Heart Echoes (Side Roads #3)
  • The Incumbent (Madison Glenn #1)
Rene Gutteridge is the award-winning and best-selling author of more than eighteen novels, including the beloved Boo Series and Heart of the Country, her novelization release with director John Ward and Tyndale House Publishers. Her recent suspense titles include Listen, Possession and the award-winning Seven Hours project Escapement. She's been published by Bethany House, Tyndale House, WaterBroo ...more
More about Rene Gutteridge...