Start by marking “Ghost Writer” as Want to Read:
Ghost Writer

Ghost Writer

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Having fallen away from faith, editor Jonathan Harper is startled one day to receive a story that tells secrets from his past. Who is the writer?
Published October 1st 2000 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Ghost Writer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost Writer

Cindy
This book was interesting in how it was written, with three stories going on at once. If one is a Christian, it isn't hard to figure out what is being alluded to. This book felt somewhat disjointed, though. The character of Zippy annoyed me because he was such a dweeb and quite condescending, but then I was to "buy" that he would be the one who would speak words of Christian wisdom to Jonathan? Nope, not buying it!
Cindy
Read over some of these reviews and want to congratulate Ms. Gutteridge. A great book I absolutely loved. The one star reviews are mostly from folks disappointed in the "religious" aspects of the story. In my opinion that is a great accomplishment by the author. A spiritually enriching story with deep personal meaning is a criticism I would gladly embrace.

I have to admit that the ending was predictable. I wasn't in suspense too much about "who did it" because I thought I knew from the beginning...more
Patty
This book is badly written and edited, including using words incorrectly. Redundant is one I remember. However, there is something about the premise that keeps me reading. Themes of middle-aged man falling out of love with his wife, not having time for his family, begin attracted to young co-worker who adores him...not interesting. However, there is a main plot involving a manuscript he receives which is pretty intriguing. I am also interested in the world of publishing, since I worked at a publ...more
Kristine
Good solid book. Didn't realize right away that it was a spin off of a different book by Rene Gutteridge, I think that one's called Paperback Writer. Solid story, moves along pretty well. I have gotten overly used to spy thrillers so this felt slow compared to that. But that's also the reason I never finished Paperback Writer. But it's a solid, good way to spend some time.
Andrea Ludwig
I had expected something totally different when I read the description for this book. I had thought it was going to be about a famous author who had other people writing her books for her. Instead, it focused on a marriage relationship and the husband's preoccupation with his job. Quite insightful and not too far out there.
Vivian
I gave it two stars because I did have to finish it...I wanted to see what happened. However, like most books in which the author has a definitive message he or she wants to get across, the book comes across as sappy. Everything has to be too neatly arranged and explained. It just makes it feel fake and feel-goody.
April Nichole
This was the first book that I read Rene's. It had me hooked the whole time. I kept trying to figure out what was going on but it was a great twist. My copy has fallen a part. I have to track down another one so I read it again.
Brenda Rogers
A good book with an interesting plot line. Almost gave it a 4 star, but if I can figure out "who dunnit" early on and see how the end plays out, I can't give it a 4. But still a very good book to read! Great message too!
Debbie
Excellent, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. I didn't know what was going to happen next. The ending was a huge surprise that you don't see coming, but it is still good!!! Great book, definitely a must read.
Maria M. Elmvang
An editor suddenly receives a manuscript describing his own life. Who's writing this? Is he and his family in any danger? A brilliant book that keeps you guessing until the very end. I'd love to read more of his books.
Elizabeth
Typical Christian fiction. Mystery was okay, gospel presentation good, but got a little long in the end where I was just wishing she would wrap it up and tell us who did it.
Deb Brammer
I loved this book! It was a real page-turner. She set up a situation that seemed impossible and I couldn't wait to see what was really going on. Very enjoyable.
Vikki
An editor in a publishing house life is going screwy. This story tells how he got back on track. There were three plots going at once in this book. It was good.
Natalya
Didn't care for this first foray into Gutteridge's work. Weak writing, weak plot progression, and disappointing conclusion.
Cherie Waggie
Weird and a little confusing which only leads to an interesting story, but the end is a little predictable.
Cheryl Oshnock perry
Great meaningful, touching book. My second by Rene gutteridge and I will be reading more.
Sandra
I liked it until the end - the end fell apart on me.
Katherine
Oh my goodness. This book is so very good!
Leanne
What a clever twist!
John
John marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Katrinka
Katrinka marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Rene Gutteridge is the award-winning and best-selling author of more than eighteen novels, including the beloved Boo Series and Heart of the Country, her novelization release with director John Ward and Tyndale House Publishers. Her recent suspense titles include Listen, Possession and the award-winning Seven Hours project Escapement. She's been published by Bethany House, Tyndale House, WaterBroo...more
More about Rene Gutteridge...
Listen Boo Never the Bride Boo Who My Life as a Doormat (In Three Acts)