Start by marking “Julie Tells Her Story (American Girls: Julie, #2)” as Want to Read:
Julie Tells Her Story (American Girls: Julie, #2)

Julie Tells Her Story (American Girls: Julie #2)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  581 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Julie is working on her school project, "The Story of My Life," and enjoying it, until she has to write about "The Worst Thing That Ever Happened." That would be her parents divorce, and she doesn t want to tell classmates about it. After her big basketball game ends badly, she decides that could be her "worst thing." But as her family rallies around her, Julie learns to b ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by American Girl Publishing Inc

To ask other readers questions about Julie Tells Her Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Julie Tells Her Story

Meet Samantha by Susan S. AdlerMeet Felicity by Valerie TrippMeet Addy by Connie Rose PorterMeet Molly by Valerie TrippChanges for Molly by Valerie Tripp
An American Girl
59th out of 127 books — 46 voters
Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryLittle Women by Louisa May AlcottThe Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George SpeareThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Best Children's Historical Fiction
139th out of 486 books — 528 voters

More lists with this book...

Ciara
the cover photo is an illustration of julie interviewing her mother using the tape recorder her father bought for her in japan. when i saw this illustration & realized that julie's mom is a ginormous hippie, i started to wonder if perhaps the albrights' marriage broke up because ma albright started having an affair with hank, the grizzled hippie veteran who is always baking zucchini bread & organizing petitions.

julie's story continues to be a yawn. in this book, julie's class is given an
Taylor
Julie is working on her school project "the story of my life", until she comes to the part where it asks you to tell about "the worst thing that has ever happen". That would be her parents divorce. But she didn't want to mention that to her whole class because she knew they would make fun of her. maybe she could tell about one of her worst basketball games, but who knows what she can do. Are you interested to know what happens THEN READ THE BOOK :). this book was really interesting because you w ...more
Korra
I loved it
Basically this is a school story that's set in the 70s. Julie has to do a project about her family and is thrilled when her dad brings her an actual tape recorder with microphone so she can tape her interviews. Unfortunately the project includes talking about the worst thing that has ever happened in her life and Julie doesn't want to talk about her parents getting divorced. Nothing special here, but it is a solid school story that mid and upper grade school girls will be able to relate to easil ...more
Christina
Julie works on a school project about herself and her family; it's hard for her because she doesn't want to talk about her parents' recent divorce.

Nice book with age-appropriate emotions and problems. I thought it was a little boring, but Isobel and her cousins loved reading it in the car. They all laughed aloud at appropriate moments and felt distress when Julie did, so I guess it's a success!
Queen Susan the Gentle
"The story of my life" is a report Julie has to do for school. Evey part of it is easy to answer, except for the the part, "the worst thing that ever happened to me". And that would be the seperation of Julie's parents. But she doesn't want to share that with the WHOLE class. But when she breaks her finger and the whole family gathers around her, she learns an important lesson...
Tricia
I'm a huge fan of American girl books, and this is the first one I have read in a long time. Overall, I though this was a good book that does well in illustrating divorce, and how it affects members of the family. I would use this book in third grade and beyond, and keep it around for students whose families are going through divorce.
Snorkle
Parts of this book seemed a little juvenile, but that might only be because I am not in the assumed reading bracket. Still, this story wasn't boring and had a decent pace, I might recommend.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Madalyn H
Julie's story was how she was to tell a story about her life at school. Her story went well, but she broke her finger during a basketball game so she couldn't write her story so she recorded it and played it to the class. The story went well until she had to talk about her parent's divorce, which made her sad.
Mary
Julie had to write a report about her life. She interviews her mom and her dad. In the middle, she plant sits for her sister and hits i t out the window on accident with a basketball and breaks the pot and almost kills the plant. SHe also records her sisters phone call and gets in trouble.
Kristine Pratt
There are aspects of this series which brings to mind my own youth. This is the era that I grew up in. Things I'd forgotten come back to me, and I remember using a tape recorder like this. I like Julie and like how she put her feelings into words at the end of this story.
Ashley
I had to explain to Abby what a tape-recorder was, but other than that, she loved the message about Julie's family--that even though her parents are divorced, her family is still a family and will be there for each other.
Reading with Cats
Julie>Rebecca on the annoying scale.

That tape recorder scene with Julie and Ivy was horridly obnoxious.

And, Tracy? I think your stupid plant will survive just fine on its own for a few hours. Really.
Katie
Lauren
i liked two partes of this book.
1. when she wanted to BABY SIT her sister made her PLANT SIT insted.
2. after she broke her arm her WHOLE family went out to dinner.
Grace
I thought it was really good because she finally told the truth. And I learned that it's really important to tell the truth, even though I already know that.
Maggie
I like how Julie always gets over her problems in a good way. It's sad that her parents got divorced, but she still found a way to be a happy kid!
This book is set in the 70's. It has a great story line and is very intresting. I loved and could read it a MILLION TIMES!
Amber
A review by Ashlyn: I liked that book a really lot. Because it was just so good. I would recommend this to anybody.
Amanda
My daughter is in love with Julie. I can't even describe how much she really does. Thank you for a awesome book!
Angela
Jun 07, 2010 Angela added it
I also liked this one book. I knew that in some parts it was not good, but it was still intersting.
Brianna
The 70s are only ok. My friend has divorced parents, so she liked how Julie's parents are divorced.
Steph
Part of a great series of books. A recommended reading for girls of all ages.
Katie
Dec 13, 2009 Katie is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
that when Juile was playing basket ball she fell and hurt
her hand
Lori
Again, enjoyable. Annabelle and I have really enjoyed this series.
Aviana B
i think it could be in a world record for cool books.
Minervinij
Aug 06, 2011 Minervinij marked it as to-read
I LOVE these books..........
Ciera
This was really good!
Zoe
I really give this 4.5 stars.
Alexandra
it was awesome
what do you think? 1 5 Apr 02, 2011 12:49PM
  • Good Luck, Ivy (American Girls: Julie)
  • Kit Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Kit, #5)
  • Rebecca and Ana (American Girls: Rebecca, #2)
  • Changes for Kaya: A Story of Courage (American Girls: Kaya, #6)
"Sometimes I think I am Judy Moody," says Megan McDonald, author of the Judy Moody series, the Stink series, and THE SISTERS CLUB. "I'm certainly moody, like she is. Judy has a strong voice and always speaks up for herself. I like that."

For Megan McDonald, being able to speak up for herself wasn't always easy. She grew up as the youngest of five sisters in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Her father, an
More about Megan McDonald...

American Girls: Julie (6 books)
  • Meet Julie (American Girls: Julie, #1)
  • Happy New Year, Julie (American Girls: Julie, #3)
  • Julie and the Eagles (American Girls: Julie, #4)
  • Julie's Journey (American Girls: Julie, #5)
  • Changes for Julie (American Girls: Julie, #6)
Judy Moody (Judy Moody, # 1) Stink: The Incredible Shrinking Kid (Stink, #1) Judy Moody Gets Famous! (Judy Moody, #2) Judy Moody Saves The World! (Judy Moody, #3) Judy Moody, M.D.: The Doctor is In! (Judy Moody #5)