Start by marking “Happy New Year, Julie (American Girls: Julie, #3)” as Want to Read:
Happy New Year, Julie (American Girls: Julie, #3)

Happy New Year, Julie (American Girls: Julie #3)

Julie knows the holidays will be difficult this year, but when her sister, Tracy, refuses to go to Dad s house for Christmas, Julie feels as if her family is falling apart. She finds comfort spending time with her best friend, Ivy Ling, whose family is getting ready for Chinese New Year. When Julie s whole family is invited to the Lings New Year banquet, Julie worries ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by American Girl Publishing Inc (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Happy New Year, Julie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy New Year, Julie

Meet Samantha by Susan S. AdlerMeet Felicity by Valerie TrippMeet Addy by Connie Rose PorterMeet Molly by Valerie TrippChanges for Molly by Valerie Tripp
An American Girl
59th out of 177 books — 58 voters
Violet Raines Almost Got Struck by Lightning by Danette HaworthRevolution Is Not a Dinner Party by Ying Chang CompestineFeathers by Jacqueline WoodsonTo Come and Go Like Magic by Katie Pickard FawcettWhen You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
Middle Grade Fiction set in the 1970s
16th out of 49 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Ciara
Dec 18, 2011 Ciara rated it did not like it
i found this book really insufferable. julie's best friend ivy plays a huge role, & i feel that ivy could be a pretty cool character on her own, but in the julie books, she comes across as a trite chinese american token. ivy's family is preparing for the chinese new year, & they all function solely to educate blonde white girl ivy about their chinese traditions. they take julie shopping with them in san francisco's chinatown for new year supplies. at one point, julie & ivy get sick ...more
Kristen Luppino
Nov 06, 2016 Kristen Luppino rated it really liked it
I love this series of AG books tackles divorce head on.
Sarah Crawford
Feb 16, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it

Happy New Year, Julie

This story continues to deal with the issue of the divorce of Julie's parents, and how the two sisters relate, or don't relate, to their father. A lot of the story revolves around Julie's friend Ivy, and their family, which is Chinese. There's a lot of very interesting information about the traditions that the Chinese and Chinese-Americans follow in celebrating the Chinese New Year.

The information on the Chinese celebrations is really the high point of the story. The informa
Taylor
Mar 29, 2009 Taylor rated it it was amazing
Julie knows that the holidays will be difficult this year for her, but when her sister Tracy refuses to go to their dad's house for Christmas, Julie feels as if her family is falling apart. Over the holiday, Julie spends most of her time finding comfort with her best friend Ivy Ling. The Lings are getting ready for a huge celebration Chinese New Year. And when Julie helps with the preparations it helps her not think about the sadness she is going through. Then when Ivy's family invites Julie's ...more
Nov 25, 2009 Laura rated it liked it
I think it is interesting how these stories usually focus around one central event that could really be told in a short period of time. The author stretches this one episode into a short novel and does it fairly well. I wasn't terribly interested in this book, but I might still recommend it.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Mar 17, 2016 Sarah rated it liked it
This book is about how Julie and her friend Ivy go to a Chinese New Year parade in China Town. A few days before the holiday Julie, Ivy and, Ivy's mom go to China Town to buy food. While they are shopping Julie and Ivy wander into another shop. Ivy's mother gets very worried and goes searching for them. After the girls are found they all go back home. I liked this book but, other ones from the series are better.
Christina
Sep 24, 2013 Christina rated it it was ok
Ho-hum. It's the Albrights' first Christmas since The Divorce, and it's just as depressing as you'd expect. The only drama is created by teenage sister Tracy who throws a mild adolescent tantrum in a restaurant. Then at the end there's some stuff about Chinese new year to try and make things seem happy again.

The boringest AG book yet.
Miri
Sep 03, 2014 Miri rated it really liked it
This is Julie's first Christmas since her parents divorce and everything is different, nothing is cheerful and festive like it used to be.

There is one thing to look forward to though. Ivy has invited Julie's family to celebrate Chinese New Year with them. It should be a fun new experience, if her family can get along.
Kaela
Jul 05, 2010 Kaela rated it it was amazing
I learned that even though a family is split apart, doesn't mean that you can't spend time with each other and still be part of each other's lives. I really liked this book and I'm glad I chose it to read! thank you!Megan McDonald
Aug 12, 2008 Jennifer rated it liked it
As I get further into this series I like it more; I think it would benefit from being read as a whole rather than as seperate books. In this installment, Julie is dealing with her first Christmas as part of a divorced family and things do not go well. Luckily, her best friend Ivy is there with her family for support and distraction as they prepare for Chinese New Year.
Grace
Jan 03, 2010 Grace rated it it was amazing
I thought it was really cool because Ivy is SUCH. A. TRUE. FRIEND! She let Julie come to Chinese New Year, which lasts for 15 days. And Ivy was just such a true friend, I thought it was so cool. I learned that it's important to be a true friend because then you don't split up. What makes a true friend: being really nice, NOT BOSSY like some of my OTHER friends, listening, not being mean.
Lori
Nov 16, 2010 Lori rated it really liked it
I loved reading this with Annabelle. We especially loved the parts about Chinese culture and the scenes in San Francisco's Chinatown. We've been there so many times! It was also a great reminder that Chinese New Year is about putting aside disagreements and focusing on the new year, our blessings, and wishing others good things. A truly enjoyable book!
Kristine Hansen
Christmas and New Year's for Julie are quite strange and different now that her parents are divorced. Here she shows her generous nature, and good nature as she adapts to these changes - and helps her sister to adapt as well.
Cara
Nov 10, 2015 Cara rated it liked it
Shelves: fun-or-frivolity
Nobody really overcomes much of anything in this book. It's just Christmas and then it's not. What happened to joining the basketball team? I guess there's no basketball during Christmas break, but Chinese New Year isn't until February, right?
Kathryn H
Jan 17, 2012 Kathryn H rated it really liked it
This book is about the Chinese New Year and Julie's friend Ivy. Her friend Ivy is a Chinese American. Ivy invites Julie and her divorced parents to a New Year's party. Julie is nervous that her parents will not get along and argue. In the end the parents do get along and the party was great.
Marya
Aug 17, 2015 Marya rated it liked it
Shelves: children-series
Even the author seems to understand that Ivy's culture, heritage, and overall life holds as much if not more interest than Julie's.
Kate Matson
Feb 25, 2016 Kate Matson rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure
I remember reading this book awhile back and I truly liked it. This book is full of fun and great writing that doesn't let you put it down. Again, American Girl has not disappointed me.
Amie
Aug 07, 2015 Amie rated it really liked it
Shelves: american-girl, hope
I'm still annoyed by the shift from the standard AG format. This book follows the Christmas theme, but doesn't retain the title.
Ashley
Jan 22, 2011 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Abby LOVED this one--especially learning all about Chinese New Year. It's my favorite too so far and once again, Julie learns a sweet lesson about her family.
Madilyn Trimmell
Apr 20, 2011 Madilyn Trimmell rated it it was amazing
I wrote a book report on this book...... It was awesome and I love it..... Not just because I got a 100!!!:)
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2015
Julie Madden
Julie Madden rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Lauren Elias
Lauren Elias rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2011
Leah Monalisa
Leah Monalisa rated it it was ok
Nov 28, 2014
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2012
Eman
Eman rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2011
Ginger
Ginger rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2013
Megan Johnson
Megan Johnson rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2013
Lily
Lily rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2011
Julio Largo
Julio Largo rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2014
  • Changes for Kit: A Winter Story (American Girls: Kit, #6)
  • Good Luck, Ivy (American Girls: Julie)
  • Candlelight for Rebecca (American Girls: Rebecca, #3)
  • Kaya's Escape! (American Girls: Kaya, #2)
  • Caroline's Battle (American Girls: Caroline, #5)
"Sometimes I think I am Judy Moody," says Megan McDonald, author of the Judy Moody series, the Stink series, and THE SISTERS CLUB. "I'm certainly moody, like she is. Judy has a strong voice and always speaks up for herself. I like that."

For Megan McDonald, being able to speak up for herself wasn't always easy. She grew up as the youngest of five sisters in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Her father, an
More about Megan McDonald...

American Girls: Julie (6 books)
  • Meet Julie (American Girls: Julie, #1)
  • Julie Tells Her Story (American Girls: Julie, #2)
  • Julie and the Eagles (American Girls: Julie, #4)
  • Julie's Journey (American Girls: Julie, #5)
  • Changes for Julie (American Girls: Julie, #6)