Zooburbia: Meditations on the Wild Animals Among Us

Zooburbia: Meditations on the Wild Animals Among Us

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  18 ratings  ·  6 reviews
To be alienated from animals is to live a life that is not quite whole, contends nature writer Tai Moses in Zooburbia. Urban and suburban residents share our environments with many types of wildlife: squirrels, birds, spiders, and increasingly lizards, deer, and coyote. Many of us crave more contact with wild creatures, and recognize the small and large ways animals enrich...more
Published May 20th 2014 by Parallax Press (first published May 13th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Zooburbia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zooburbia

The Keeper by O.L. RamosThe Keeper by O.L. RamosThe Keeper by O.L. RamosThe Keeper by O.L. RamosFrom the Abyss II by John Emil Augustine
Love for my Authors
7th out of 88 books — 4 voters
Rooms by Lauren OliverTalon by Julie KagawaThe Young Elites by Marie LuThe Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly BlackThe Jewel by Amy Ewing
Book Expo America 2014
208th out of 308 books — 93 voters

More lists with this book...

Sherry
I LOVED this book. Of course, I love all books about animals but this one was different. I loved the author's attitude that you can find wildlife no matter where you are.

She doesn't sugar coat them but tells it like it is about the furry ones she encounters. l laughed a lot during her telling about her foray into chicken keeping. I'm in that stage right now and can relate to how destructive the little creeps can be.

I have passed this along to a dear, animal-loving friend who just lost her husban...more
Tesilyaraven
May 23, 2014 Tesilyaraven is currently reading it
Just bought this today. Such a beautiful book--the text design, illustrations and even the feel if the paper. Nice job Parallax Press! Really looking forward to delving into Tai's stories in this book.
Tony Bogar
Who else enjoyed this book as much as I did? Almost every story touched me. Funny. Poignant. Thought provoking. I definitely related to this.
Miz Lizzie
These short meditative pieces about the author's personal interactions with wildlife, expected and unexpected, in our cities and suburbs are like koans or prose poetry that provide reflective food for thought. The essays inspire the reader to slow down and be attentive to the wildness present at our very doorstep. It is also a beautifully crafted book that was a pleasure to hold in one's hand.

Book Pairings: Though shorter and more influenced by Buddhism than science, the writing reminded me some...more
Erkki Moviebuff
Really liked it. Inspiring and meditative.
Markie
Loved it!!!
Sabrina
Sabrina marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Littlelungs
Littlelungs marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Christina Hawkins
Christina Hawkins marked it as to-read
Nathalie
Nathalie marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Lynne Westmoreland
Lynne Westmoreland marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Cassidy
Cassidy marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Ricco Bonicalzi
Ricco Bonicalzi is currently reading it
Aug 12, 2014
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Julee Nevarez
Julee Nevarez marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
CrimsonFlamez
CrimsonFlamez marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Linda Scholl
Linda Scholl marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Marilyn
Marilyn marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Clare Scott
Clare Scott marked it as to-read
Chaunci
Chaunci marked it as to-read
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Marcia Buckley
Marcia Buckley is currently reading it
Jul 23, 2014
A journalist for more than two decades, Tai Moses has edited alternative newsweeklies in Monterey, Santa Cruz, and Silicon Valley, and she is the former senior editor of AlterNet, an online progressive news magazine. She was a speaker at World Press Freedom Day in Barcelona in 2003, and a panelist at UNESCO's 2004 Universal Forum of Cultures, also in Barcelona. Her articles and essays have been wi...more
More about Tai Moses...