Start by marking “Virtual Freedom: How to Work with Virtual Staff to Buy More Time, Become More Productive, and Build Your Dream Business” as Want to Read:

Entrepreneurs often suffer from ”superhero syndrome”—the misconception that to be successful, they must do everything themselves. Not only are they the boss, but also the salesperson, HR manager, copywriter, operations manager, online marketing guru, and so much more. It’s no wonder why so many people give up the dream of starting a business—it’s just too much for one ...more
Published April 1st 2014 by BenBella Books (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Virtual Freedom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Virtual Freedom

Getting Things Done by David AllenVirtual Freedom by Chris C. DuckerThe Now Habit by Neil A. FioreHow To Attract Customers To Your Business And Keep Them Comin... by Theo John PaulTo the Survivors by Robert Uttaro
Practical Productivity Books
2nd out of 57 books — 6 voters
Me Before You by Jojo Moyes11/22/63 by Stephen KingMisery by Stephen KingThe Martian by Andy WeirFight Club by Chuck Palahniuk
What Should I Read Next Podcast
30th out of 100 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Patrick
Aug 13, 2014 Patrick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-read
I wish I'd had a virtual assistant to read this book for me and give me a 2-minute summary.
Rivka Kawano
Mar 18, 2014 Rivka Kawano rated it it was amazing
This book is THE authoritative guide to finding and managing a virtual staff. If you have never done it before Chris Ducker will walk you through step by step - it is easier than you think! If you are like I was for so long and putting off the idea of building a virtual team let this be your wake up call.

What makes this book extra special is not only is it a good guide for someone starting out, but even for those who have been managing some or all of their team online Virtual Freedom will show y
Sharon
Aug 23, 2016 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-read
I gleaned a few helpful tidbits from this book, but the content is highly repetitive. Each case study mentions tools that a particular entrepreneur found helpful, such as Google Hangouts, Dropbox, etc, and then a very similar list is repeated with the next person, and the next, and the next. The resources in the back - at 85% of the book, list the same tools and resources AGAIN.

If you can get this book as a library book, then it might be worth skimming. There are probably better books available.
J.F. Penn
May 03, 2014 J.F. Penn rated it it was amazing
Excellent required reading for anyone considering the use of virtual assistants. Will save you time and money to read this.
Rick
Aug 13, 2016 Rick rated it it was amazing

Virtual Freedom is the definitive authority on taking control of your business, modifying your mindset to focus on the value you uniquely provide, and pursuing your business dreams effectively.

Chris’ Book helps the business owner understand how to identify why, what and when to outsource, how to outsource well, and how to develop and nurture collaborative VA relationships. It also addresses understanding cultural and language idiosyncrasies and becoming a more effective leader of employees overa
Tracey Pedersen
Feb 28, 2015 Tracey Pedersen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I waited a little while to get this book since I don't normally pay much for eBooks. But I saw it on special and grabbed it. I have absolutely no idea why this book would have anything less than 4 star reviews. The information is helpful and concise. The links to Chris's own site are worksheets or templates that you can use for your own hiring efforts. This book is certainly not an infomercial for Chris Ducker's Virtual Staff Finder service - indeed I'm going to use the tips to get better ...more
Julia Doherty
Apr 20, 2014 Julia Doherty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must admit, when I sold my last business the one thing I said to myself was "I'm never having staff again"! But if you want to be successful then you need a team behind you. Having an outsourced team is brilliant, and I wish I had embraced this way of building a business earlier in my career.

After reading this book, I have decided to do the same as Chris Ducker and within 12 months (by April 2015) I will become a virtual business owner. I will slowly take myself out of the business, with exce
Chris
Apr 05, 2014 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An essential guide for anyone looking to start outsourcing. It's tailored toward online businesses, but there are great takeaways for anyone, online or off, considering building a virtual team.
Daniele
Dec 02, 2016 Daniele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I read on the subject of building a virtual team. I immediately spot all the mistakes I made so far. Very good insights, tips and tricks on choosing how to build a team.
Pity that the tools suggested are a bit outdated and some info repeated over and over.
Dale Callahan
Oct 07, 2016 Dale Callahan rated it really liked it
Great review of setting up systems for the solopreneur. Straight forward advice about how to find the right people and setup the best practices for them.
Richard
Nov 17, 2015 Richard rated it it was amazing
This book explores the idea that entrepreneurs can often (almost always!) try to wear too many hats and do too many things personally within their respective businesses, and that the key to success lies in not doing everything yourself, but effectively delegating and outsourcing work to others.

Author Chris Ducker shares stories of his own struggles with trying to "do it all" and offers some effective warnings of how this can impact on business owners health and well-being if left unchecked.

The b
Michael Ronn
Nov 29, 2014 Michael Ronn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE go to book for virtual assistants

I've been interested in the idea of virtual assistance for quite some time. However, I really didn't know where to start. I'm a fan of Chris Ducker's New Business Podcast and I was able to grab this book on discount at Buck Books.

I'm glad I read this book because while, I'm not ready for visual assistant yet, I do think that it's good to at least learn the general business practices behind hiring one , working with one, and managing one. The layout of this bo
Liz
May 24, 2014 Liz rated it really liked it
If you want to know what the current fuss over Virtual Assistants, or VAs, is all about, this is the book for you.

Chris Ducker has used VAs for many years and he owns a Virtual Assistant staffing firm in the Philippines. Ducker authoritatively takes readers through the various types of virtual assistants, the tasks they can do for their employers, where readers can find a VA, and how they should approach interviewing and hiring process. Ducker emphasizes that those who want to hire a virtual as
Josh Steimle
Jun 26, 2016 Josh Steimle rated it really liked it
If you've read The Four Hour Workweek where Tim talks about outsourcing many of your daily tasks to a virtual assistant, but then you found yourself asking "Yeah, but how exactly do I do that?" then this book is your detailed answer.

This book is the manual on how to build a business, or just thrive in your job, by hiring and managing virtual assistants. More than that, it's just a great management book. Whereas many books are heavy on strategy and light on tactics, or the details of how to actu
Trina Lee
Aug 25, 2014 Trina Lee rated it it was amazing
Do you want to move forward in your business? Can’t get everything done in a reasonable workweek? Then read this book.

Chris Ducker is the expert when it comes to utilizing virtual assistants (VAs) to take your business and career to the next level. He’s personally lived this out himself and he shares from not only his successes, but also his struggles. I greatly appreciate that Chris doesn’t sugarcoat the process of getting started with VAs and also shares the experiences of others.

I’m not, yet,
Lee
Apr 01, 2016 Lee rated it liked it
A clear and comprehensive guide to outsourcing. I've had a Virtual Assistant (VA) in the past, and I wish that I'd read this book in advance, as it would have helped me avoid some simple mistakes (particularly the mistake of using a company who have VAs on their payroll, as the VA is never working for you, they're working for the company.) There are some excellent thoughts on using virtual staff to ensure that business owners can fulfill their roles of selling and creating. There might be too ...more
Kunal Sampat
Jun 26, 2016 Kunal Sampat rated it it was amazing
I accidentally stumbled across this book and am glad I did. This is a very practical book that teaches you the nuts-and-bolts of hiring and working with virtual assistants. The main take away for me was that you want to hire a VA that communicates well and has an infectious enthusiasm.

The author also provides excellent cultural advice that people should take very seriously when working with VAs in other countries.

As I was wrapping up the last chapter in this book, I posted an General VA positio
Glenn Schmelzle
Mar 19, 2016 Glenn Schmelzle rated it really liked it
Chris has written a clear how-to book for a small business owner who'll outsource marketing content & backoffice work to offshore VAs. It does a fine job at that. Surprisingly, it also helps business owners who'll choose local talent, for work that's not necessarily SEO-related. He doesn't mandate the use of VAs forever; that can be a stepping stone to full time staff.
He repeats a key approach throughout the book - be nice. Many of us forget to do this, or give ourselves license to be prick
Tadas Talaikis
Stopped after 20 or so pages, rtied again after five or more other books and dropped immediately, asked for a refund. Don't know what I have tought, but it's one of those books which rating is high, but it reminds me of www sh... that I've read ten fifteen years ago. Everyone wants to believe magic, but reality forces to work countless hours, no matter how many VAs you have. Freedom is for people who have nothing to do or have too much time to have, let's say, depression, or other "amgic" ...more
Zayne Ling
Sep 26, 2014 Zayne Ling rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Definite read if you want your business to move forward to the next level.Free yourself more time to think about strategies & plan for business instead of struggling & chasing after time to finish all the transactional work on hand. This is a must read!

Chris Ducker is the expert in this VA outsourcing field. He did not keep all these knowledge to himself but share with everyone. I have learn so much from him in this book and will pass it on to everyone else too.
Oliver
Jul 07, 2016 Oliver rated it liked it
It's an engaging "how-to" and "why you will benefit from" a personal assistant...or five plus PA's. Ducker owns a PA provider firm and has vested interest in offering you a PA from the Philippians. It is detailed enough to get started on first PA with the things to watch for and prepare for. Probably the best written book on the subject.
Tristan
Apr 08, 2016 Tristan rated it really liked it
Very resourceful guide to hiring, training, and managing a virtual staff. As this was a read for work rather than pleasure, my rating is based on its helpfulness during my training and management of my personal VA.

This book provided excellent insight and practices that I look forward to utilizing now and in my future.
Rolando Gill
Pretty basic. A lot of "be nice to your virtual assistant". There were some good resources mentioned and ChrisDucker.com is probably the greatest website on the planet if the author is to be believed.
Zach Hammer
Apr 01, 2015 Zach Hammer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Great book laying out the basics of outsourcing.

Leans heavily on the process of outsourcing to the Philippines, but for good reasons that he covers in the book.

Great starting point for anyone considering working with virtual staff, whether locally or overseas.
Ameena
Jun 15, 2015 Ameena rated it liked it
I found this book VERY repetitive and specifically geared towards those looking for VA's in only certain capacities (SEO, writing, etc.).

Aside from a few interesting case studies, I found this book a bit dull and not super helpful.
Karla
Jan 14, 2015 Karla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It has what you need

Includes pretty much everything you could think of about hiring a virtual staff, even whether or not you really need a VA. Learned a ton! I will refer to it often.
Vivian Adram
Jan 20, 2016 Vivian Adram rated it it was amazing
What a fact filled book! And it's certainly great info since I'm beginning to explore the world of virtual staffing. Check out @ChrisDucker's website for even more gems.
Cara
Jun 05, 2014 Cara is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cara by: Pat Flynn on his podcast
Really really want to outsource my email, but I'm not sure it can be done. I hope this book will help me figure it out.
Nick Woodall
Apr 29, 2016 Nick Woodall rated it it was amazing
Superb book! Well-organized, well-written, and well-edited. This book helped me a lot. I intend to put the practices to use in the near-future on my businesses, so we will see how it goes.
Stefan Wyper
Apr 28, 2016 Stefan Wyper rated it really liked it
About creating a network of VA's for a business that is currently in motion - mainly recommends Filipinos.
  • DotCom Secrets: The Underground Playbook for Growing Your Company Online
  • Ask: The Counterintuitive Online Formula to Discover Exactly What Your Customers Want to Buy...Create a Mass of Raving Fans...and Take Any Business to the Next Level
  • Launch: An Internet Millionaire's Secret Formula to Sell Almost Anything Online, Build a Business You Love, and Live the Life of Your Dreams
  • 80/20 Sales and Marketing: The Definitive Guide to Working Less and Making More
  • Focus: The Future of Your Company Depends on It
  • The 12 Week Year: Get More Done in 12 Weeks Than Others Do in 12 Months
  • Profit First: A Simple System To Transform Any Business From A Cash-Eating Monster To A Money-Making Machine
  • The Suitcase Entrepreneur
  • The Impact Equation: Are You Making Things Happen or Just Making Noise?
  • #AskGaryVee: One Entrepreneur's Take on Leadership, Social Media, and Self-Awareness
  • Will It Fly?: How to Test Your Next Business Idea So You Don't Waste Your Time and Money
  • The Automatic Customer: Creating a Subscription Business in Any Industry
  • The Wealthy Freelancer
  • The Money Book for Freelancers, Part-Timers, and the Self-Employed: The only personal finance system for people with not-so-regular jobs
  • The 3 Secrets to Effective Time Investment: Achieve More Success with Less Stress: Foreword by Cal Newport, Author of So Good They Can't Ignore You
  • Your First 1000 Copies: The Step-by-Step Guide to Marketing Your Book
  • Your Killer Emotions: The 7 Steps to Mastering the Toxic Emotions, Urges, and Impulses That Sabotage You
  • Survival Is Not Enough: Why Smart Companies Abandon Worry and Embrace Change
Chris C. Ducker has helped thousands of entrepreneurs around the world implement successful virtual staffing strategies into their businesses, releasing them from the shackles of the over-worked, over-stressed lifestyle that most business owners endure on a daily basis. His approach to leveraging time, as well as maximizing business systems and processes – all with a focus on running businesses ...more
More about Chris C. Ducker...

“As entrepreneurs, time is our most valuable commodity (MVC). Money will come and go, but once you’ve invested your time into something, that time is gone forever. It stands to reason that if there are any actions we can take as business owners to free up more time in our daily routines, we should take them.” 1 likes
“You like doing certain tasks, you might be good at doing them. The question is, should you BE doing them, as the business owner?!!” 1 likes