Start by marking “Blonde Ops” as Want to Read:
Blonde Ops

Blonde Ops

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  478 Ratings  ·  97 Reviews
Expelled from yet another boarding school for hacking, sixteen-year-old Rebecca "Bec" Jackson is shipped off to Rome to intern for Parker Phillips, the editor-in-chief of one of the world’s top fashion magazines. But when a mysterious accident lands Parker in a coma, former supermodel and notorious drama queen Candace Worthington takes the reins of the magazine. The First ...more
Published May 6th 2014 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Blonde Ops, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blonde Ops

I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally CarterCross My Heart and Hope to Spy by Ally CarterOut of Sight, Out of Time by Ally CarterHeist Society by Ally CarterDon't Judge a Girl by Her Cover by Ally Carter
Teenage Spy Girls
26th out of 55 books — 72 voters
The One by Kiera CassFinally, Forever by Katie KacvinskySince You've Been Gone by Morgan MatsonCity of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareThe Art of Lainey by Paula Stokes
May 2014 NA and YA Releases
16th out of 47 books — 43 voters

More lists with this book...

Tiff at Mostly YA Lit
Review originally posted at: http://mostlyyalit.blogspot.ca/2014/0...

I was really excited for Blonde Ops and I'm really, really sad to say that it wasn't my cup of tea. In theory, it seemed like the perfect book for me: I love fashion, I love spies/heist scenarios, and I love travel. This book had all of those elements, but somehow, it just failed to really make me care about the characters or the story.

The basic premise is that the main character, Bec Jackson, is a hacker who has just been kick
Nafiza
Jul 16, 2014 Nafiza rated it did not like it
Blonde Ops promises a lot of fun and shenanigans but delivers very little of either. When Rebecca Jackson is expelled from yet another boarding school, her executive mother (the readers are never told what her parents do though we gather from the hints given that they are prominent in the business world) ships her off to Rome where one of her friends, the editor of a fashion magazine, is. This friend has settled in Rome temporarily while working on an issue based in Rome.

Bec gets a nasty surpris
Emily Anne
Apr 26, 2014 Emily Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Ally Carter and Robin Benway
Models. Hackers. Plots. And Rome.

Need I say more?

Blonde Ops is a fluffy adventure ideal for fans of Ally Carter and Robin Benway. The characters are fun and entertaining, the plot is exciting although a tad predictable, and the setting is awesome!

The main character, Bec, is a hacker just kicked out of a boarding school for the umpteenth time. I absolutely loved reading from her POV! She is smart, quirky, and... how can I phrase this?... very meddlesome. Additionally, Bec was refreshingly enthus
Faye
Once again, here is a book that doesn't suck too much, but because of the typical plot, characters, and romance, things end up not so well. I also was kind of skim-reading through the last 50 pages or so. It's hard for a book like this to keep my interest.

So all in all, this is just another typical spy novel.
Debby
1 star

Oh dear. Blonde Ops... where did we go wrong? To be fair, I didn't have EXTREMELY high hopes for this as being like some kind of mindblowingly awesome adventure story, but I hoped for some fun, some intrigue, hopefully some lovely wanderlust-evoking passages about Rome, and maybe a cute romance. Sadly, I didn't really get any of those things.

First off, the main character is bland as fuck. I can't get a grip on her personality, because one minute she's cool and defiant, but the next she jus
Kerry
Jun 18, 2014 Kerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a cute, fun, and keep-you-on-your-toes YA thriller! You immediately love Bec, the main character, who is smart and unconventional. I truly didn't know who the "bad guys" were until the end. Great YA read!
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to St. Martin's Press and NetGalley.)

What I expected from this book – a smart, savvy heroine with a few tricks up her sleeve, and a nose for uncovering the truth, and keeping herself out of trouble.
What I got – a slightly stupid heroine, who had no idea how to cover her tracks, and was more interested in dating two different guys than working out who the evil-doers were.

I have to say that Rebecca ‘Bec’ ann
Ally
Jan 15, 2015 Ally rated it it was amazing
I won a copy from Goodreads First Reads.

Oh, my goodness. I'm totally in love with Blonde Ops. I mean, the mystery, love, intrigue, and characters were all perfect. I thought this book was absolutely fabulous. I warn you: It's addicting and lovely.

Yes, there's the CIA involved. Along with Interpol and a whole bunch of other people. It's espionage, but Blonde Ops isn't exactly espionage. Yes, Parker is a hacker, but she isn't skilled enough to be a professional. Still, I would label this book as e
Mrs.
Apr 01, 2014 Mrs. rated it really liked it
This is a pretty good read, but keep in mind it's a pretty light read.

The main character, Bec, finds herself kicked out of another private boarding school and in trouble with the parental figures yet again. Her mother comes up with a unique solution, though... send Bec to Rome for the summer to work as an unpaid intern to her old college friend. Enter the college friend who seems pretty cool and easy to be with. The job is with a fashion magazine, which Bec loves, but it's high-paced and crazy.
Nash Norden
Blonde Ops was set around Rome and the glamorous world of fashion. When Bec was expelled from school for hacking, her parents sent her off to stay with Parker, a friend of her mother, who was also the editor of Edge magazine. But when Parker is injured in a car accident, a former supermodel, Candace Worthington took over Edge, and the custody of Bec. When Bec realized that there are something suspicious about Parker’s accident, she started to investigate the people around her.

This book was a ver
Dayla
Excuse me for a moment.

That's how it feels to finally read a book that is just pure fun. I feel like I've been reading serious books, after serious books--or books that try a little bit too hard to be funny. Reading Blonde Ops was like a breathe of fresh contemporary air. I haven't read a young adult contemporary novel in a long time and I'm so glad I took a moment to read this one.

Blonde Ops isn't perfect, but it's a heck of a lot of fun. While I would have liked a more clean-cut ending (It ki
Andréa
As the publisher's description states, Blonde Ops is "a fun, action-packed romp through the hallways of a fashion magazine and the cobblestone streets of Rome." It's a light-hearted YA read with enough spying, hacking, fashion, and traveling to please almost everyone.

That being said, it didn't feel as authentic as some of the other books in the young adult spy genre. I know, I know, teen spy novels aren't exactly realistic anyway, but the background, situations, and characters in some feel more
Erin
Sep 28, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Rebecca "Bec" Jackson was just kicked out of another school and sent to Rome to intern for her mother's friend, Parker Phillips, who works at one of the top fashion magazines. When Parker is in an accident under curious circumstances, Bec is determined to get to the bottom of it. On top of trying to figure out what happened to Parker, the First Lady is going to be visiting the studio. When the First Lady is threatened, Bec decides to try to figure out who is responsible. Bec has her hands full a ...more
Ms. King
Mar 14, 2014 Ms. King marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-reads
Thank you Good Reads First Reads for having given our school the chance to win this book. Once it has been added to our collection a student review of the book will be added.
Griffin Raynor
May 12, 2015 Griffin Raynor rated it really liked it
Shelves: want-to-own
This book was really good. I wasn't at all sure what I was getting, since I grabbed it almost randomly, and it seemed a bit out of my range (being about things I don't much relate to, such as hacking and fashion), but it kept me interested for the first half, and once it reached the climax, I couldn't put it down.

I loved the humor and the characters, and Bec was a fun, interesting, and sweet protagonist who I really rooted for, despite not always agreeing with her impulsive decisions. I loved t
Taylor
Feb 25, 2015 Taylor rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: girls grade 8 and up
Shelves:
The novel Blonde Ops by Charlotte Bennardo and Natalie Zaman was published in May of 2014. It was published in New York, New York by Thomas Dunne Books, St. Martin’s Griffin. So it is a fairly new book. Blonde ops has many conflicts, always finds a way to keep you interested, but is a book that not everyone may enjoy.
“Printed on school letterhead, it was officially scary. Does not adhere to school dress code. Violates “No Cell Phones In Class” rule. Does not perform to expected academic and soc
Violetinkpen
Nov 07, 2014 Violetinkpen rated it really liked it
Blond Ops was fresher than I though it would be. Just reading the back, my eyes jumped to the 'two hot guys vying for her attention' and I was already rolling my eyes and wishing I hadn't taken this book from the library before reading the description. How good could a sappy love triangle be? And the more I read of the discription the more I pictured this book being about a bratty, complaining teenager with no bigger problem then which boy she wants to date. Glad to be wrong!

From the beginning t
Ian Wood
Sep 12, 2014 Ian Wood rated it it was amazing

Sara Bennett
What I liked:Well for one, hacking is pretty cool. I'm too lazy and dumb to learn how but I would love to be able to magically do it. So that makes Bec pretty cool. I also liked that she had her own sense of style. The flavor of this book was European and pretty fun and lighthearted. Until people started getting into car accidents and kidnapped! So while there is a lot of sneaking around and the ending is pretty exciting, the overall pace of this book was pretty moderate. So it's not quite Alex ...more
Liviania
Jul 24, 2014 Liviania rated it really liked it
I've read two books set in Rome lately, and I can tell you that I vastly prefer BLONDE OPS. It's a zippy novel about a hacker sent to live with a family friend in Italy for the summer who ends up interning at a fashion magazine edited by that family friend and getting involved in foiling a plot to kidnap the First Lady.

The first thing you should probably know is that the title is a lie. Rebecca "Bec" Jackson has pink hair. It's mentioned so often that, even though the title is cute, it started t
Suspense Magazine
Jul 21, 2014 Suspense Magazine rated it really liked it
With so many post-apocalyptic series swallowing the young adult shelves, it’s refreshing to read a YA title as lively as “Blonde Ops.” And when two authors merge their voices and make it look like a walk in the park, that’s just the icing on the cake for a reader like me.
Similarities between sixteen-year-old, Bec Jackson, and her peers are unmistakable in the smart-mouth and attitude areas, but she’s craftier and more determined than most. Of course, having been shipped from boarding school to
Meg - A Bookish Affair
May 16, 2014 Meg - A Bookish Affair rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, young-adult, 2014
3.5 stars. In "Blonde Ops," amateur hacker Bec isn't exactly excited when she is sent to Rome to hang out for the summer with one of her mother's friends as she wishes she could just spend time with her mother but she'll make the best of it. Little does she know how eventful her summer will be. This was a really fun read that kept me turning the pages. It's a perfect light read and would make for great summer reading!

I really liked Bec as the main character. She is whip smart and definitely not
Ms. Yingling
Mar 31, 2014 Ms. Yingling rated it liked it
Bec is a hacker, and has been kicked out of yet another private boarding school for changing her grades, among other things. Her busy parents don't have time to deal with her, so she is shipped off to Rome to stay with Parker, a college friend of her mother's who is the editor of Edge magazine. To Bec's surprise, she is supposed to be an intern at the magazine, but things get complicated when Parker is badly injured in a car accident that may have something to do with the First Lady's visit to t ...more
Gabrielle
This book was very unique. But i was not invested in the characters i liked the main lead, Bec . i did not however like Kevin. i was really bored for most of the book and did not care what happened to the characters. my favorite was the ending . the fashion element was not as drawn out and as enjoyable as i thought. i thought the spy element was good but could have been better. the plot and pacing were a bit slow. i was not very invested in the mystery as much as i would have liked.
Saoirse
DNF @ 11%

I know. I'm horrible. I've been a DNFing machine lately and trust me, I don't like it at all. :/ It makes me think just how evil I am. I have no idea if this is because of my reading slump or if I just didn't get the story at all. I wanted to love this. Honestly, I did. But urghh, I can't shake this...this unsaturated feeling inside my head.

Haley Keller
Jun 30, 2014 Haley Keller rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book through Goodreads First Reads, and I entered the giveaway because this looked like it had the potential to be a fun book. Overall, I think it did live up to my expectations. It was a fun book, and I can see a lot of people really enjoying it.

I did have problems with the book just because I couldn't get over how unrealistic everything seemed. I don't want to say too much and ruin the book for those who haven't read it, but Candace's backstory was the most illogical to me. I think
Julianne
Jul 09, 2014 Julianne rated it did not like it
Shelves: never-read
mandyfujita
Oct 16, 2014 mandyfujita rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the quick wit and humour of the main character Rebecca Jackson. She is a wiz with the computer and has been kicked out of another exclusive boarding school. This time she was caught hacking into the school's grading database while trying to change one of her grades. Her parents travel quite a bit.

Rebecca has gone too far. Her mother puts her on a plane to Rome with instructions for her to meet her mother's friend, Parker Phillips. Parker is the editor of a fashion magazine called "Ed
Colette
May 27, 2014 Colette rated it it was amazing
This book delivered in all aspects: action, mystery, and romance. When Bec, the main character journeys to Rome, each scene set in the city portrays the historical beauty of Italy. The mystery Bec attempts to solve never leads to an obvious solution, but instead leaves the reader guessing, and suspecting characters during all points of the story. Overall 5/5 stars; there better be a sequel!
Steve M
Jun 07, 2014 Steve M rated it liked it
The main flaw of Blonde Ops is that it tries to straddle two worlds - fashion and espionage/assassination and ends up stretching itself too thin in both. Readers or people with experience in either worlds will be able to pick apart flaws in the details quite easily. The research isn't really any deeper than someone watching Ugly Betty or 24.

Aside from that the book is a quick and cute read. It's much more of a romance than anything else. Fish out of water character ends up meetings some cute bo
Nancy Drew. 1 1 Nov 07, 2014 06:22AM
  • inDIVISIBLE
  • Moonlight Mayhem (Spellbound #3)
  • Wanted: Dead or in Love
  • Deadly Little Sins (Prep School Confidential, #3)
  • Code Red Lipstick (Jessica Cole: Model Spy, #1)
  • Going Rogue (Also Known As, #2)
  • The Crossing (Blood of the Lamb, #1)
  • Royally Lost
  • Poor Little Dead Girls
  • Just Like the Movies (If Only . . ., #7)
  • Louder Than Words
  • A Girl Called Fearless (A Girl Called Fearless, #1)
  • Psi Another Day (Psi Fighter Academy, #1)
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • The Secrets of Lily Graves
  • A Blind Spot for Boys
  • Stella (Stella, #1)
  • Two Lies and a Spy (Two Lies and a Spy, #1)
I'm living one dream; my book, Sirenz, co-authored with best gal pal Natalie Zaman, debuts from Flux in June. I'd like to be able to chase my other dreams where ever they take me, but that's dependent upon money, time, political unrest, contractual agreements, book revisions, if cat will let me, and if I have to make dinner.
More about Charlotte Bennardo...