Start by marking “Life of the Party: Stories of a Perpetual Man-Child” as Want to Read:
Life of the Party: Stories of a Perpetual Man-Child

Life of the Party: Stories of a Perpetual Man-Child

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  346 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
A collection of outrageous stories by the standup comic, TV host, and inspiration for the movie National Lampoon's Van Wilder

Bert Kreischer doesn't know how to say "no." If he did, he wouldn't have gotten himself mixed up with a group of Russian mobsters on a class trip to Moscow, earning him his nickname: "The Machine." He wouldn't have wrestled with a bear or swum with s
Published May 27th 2014 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Life of the Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life of the Party

Shelly Donaghey
Apr 22, 2014 Shelly Donaghey rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, comedy
Let me warn you about this book—Don’t let your children, especially if they are currently college students, read this. Ever!
That is, unless you have aspirations of your offspring appearing on Comedy Central someday, or you really want to spend as much hard earned money as you can for their never ending college education and antics thereof.
Kreischer definitely was the “Life of the Party” as the front cover of his book proudly proclaims. Yes, he definitely has many stories about life as a perpe
Marcywinokur
Sep 12, 2014 Marcywinokur rated it did not like it
To be honest, I hated this book. I kept reading because I hoped it would get better; I hoped that there would be some redeeming quality in Bert Kreischer or a revelation about his life. There wasn't. This book is basically all about Mr. Kreischer's frat boy lifestyle (even as an adult) and how partying basically got him to where he is today. It seems to say "you can be successful and famous, ignore responsibility, and party hard". As the title suggests, he is a "prepetual man-child" and it is no ...more
Headlines And
Nov 11, 2014 Headlines And rated it it was amazing
Paying respect to our forefathers is an important part of our culture. It’s why we celebrate President’s Day and Martin Luther King Day and other three-day weekends that make Sunday Fundays possible. Speaking of Sunday Funday, there’s a guy you should know about that practically invented the concept—along with Monday Funday, Tuesday Funday, Wednesday Funday, and so on. His name is Bert Kreisher and this is his book: Life Of The Party: Stories Of A Perpetual Man-Child ($26.00). It tells the sordi ...more
Heidi Wiechert
I received a free copy of this book through Goodreads First Reads. FTC guidelines: check!

When writing a book this outrageous, the author walks a thin, but very real, line between the vulgar and hysterical. Kreischer did an excellent job of finding the perfect balance. In a no-holds-barred style and with plenty of profanity, he puts you directly into his alcohol and drug-fueled existence. It is one wild ride.

I shamefacedly laughed quite a bit throughout even though I thought some of the antics (m
Brian Krespan
Nov 07, 2014 Brian Krespan rated it it was amazing
DISCLAIMER: I am a HUGE Bert fan, from his stand-up to his ridiculous TV shows (Hurt Bert, Trip Flip), to his podcast. Actually, his podcast is where I heard that he had written a book. I'm a HUGE fan of comedians who write books, especially books like this--where he basically tells stories about things that have happened in his life. Honestly, these could all be stand-up bits, if he were a Mike Birbiglia (also amazing book: Sleepwalk With Me) or a Bill Cosby.

Now, on Bert's podcast he mentioned
Emily
Jul 13, 2014 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, humor, 2014
Bert Kreischer is hilarious. If you have never heard his standup, I feel bad for you. If you are not familiar, he is the guy the movie Van Wilder was based off of. He has also hosted shows on the Travel channel. I have heard some of these stories before(like The Machine bit and about him meeting Will Smith) but they made me laugh all over again. And the ones I haven't heard were excellent also(I loved hearing about the time he smoked PCP with Tracey Morgan and his story "CP" was hilarious and I ...more
Dave
Dec 07, 2015 Dave rated it liked it
I first encountered Bert Kreischer on the Travel Channel when I happened upon his show Bert the Conqueror one night a few years back and thought, now there's a regular dude who looks like he's having fun doing stupid things. But life happened and a regular TV watching schedule wasn't in the cards and I lost track of the show. So when I heard he had an autobiographical book out, I thought, great, I'll catch up on all the episodes I missed. Turns out, it reads more like an I've-led-a-charmed-life ...more
Jon
Jan 31, 2015 Jon rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
The true life tales of big, goofy stand up comic. I love me some Bert Kreischer! Powerful. His honesty and openness on and off stage are inspiring. That being said, his stories are not necessarily for everyone. He can come off as misogynistic and crude to the more sensitive portions of society, but I take it as just another aspect of his boyish charm:)He tells stories of wrestling bears, struggling as a frat boy in college, and dating an angry vegan with cerebral palsey. All while being as hamme ...more
Gidget Jordan
Jan 18, 2016 Gidget Jordan rated it did not like it
**This was a first reads giveaway**

I really didn't like this book. I started reading it long long ago and never finished because it was just a bunch of stuff about how he has done nothing of value or substance and made his entire life about his "frat-boy" style. I was hoping there would be some kind of moment or lesson in this book, but there was not. I guess I would recommend it to someone who just wanted to read about someone else having fun and no responsibilities?
Wilmer
Jun 07, 2014 Wilmer rated it it was amazing
YA MASHINU! Bert Kreischer did one hell of a job writing about his adventures. By the end of the book you can't help but love Bert and his crazy lifestyle. I laughed and giggled throughout the entire book. If you are in college or love comedy read this book. Be careful though, it may make you want to do crazy things just like Bert did. I know once I finished the book I wanted to drink Vodka non stop and see what adventures I could get into...
Valerie
Sep 26, 2014 Valerie rated it it was amazing
What an amazing ride! Bert Kreischer has had quite the life, and the greatest mystery to me? How has he survived it?!? If you've ever imagined, "What if I had said yes...." - well, wonder no more. Bert never says no, and .... wow, has it gotten him into some fascinating (and frankly dangerous) situations. Do fraternities really haze? Yes, and Bert lived to tell. Do bears like marshmallows? Read the book to find out! A fast and fun read.
Bookslut
Oct 11, 2014 Bookslut rated it liked it
Shelves: funny
Quick and funny. I have been in love with this guy's story since I heard it on the radio ten years ago, so I was truly delighted to find his book. All this time, I've just been wandering around hoping someone had heard of the guy who goes by 'The Machine' when he's in Russia, but no one ever had. Stumbled by his book and felt like one of my life-dreams had come true. Found ya, Bert Kreischer!
Georgette
Jul 13, 2015 Georgette rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography, humor
If you're a fan of Tucker Max, without a ton of the gratuitous nature, this book is for you.
Don't get me wrong, there are sexual escapades and all sorts of misunderstandings (the condom and the mattress?) Wow.
My friend Steve clued me into this. Hadn't heard of Bert until then.
Wow. This book was a lot of fun.
Hope dude writes another book.
Jeff
Jul 06, 2014 Jeff rated it liked it
enjoyable brisk read that had me laughing literally out loud, perfect for the summer. Gives you a vibe that he seems like a regular guy under extraordinary circumstances. Seems like a guy you'd love to hang out with just to hear the stories. What Dane Cook strives to be it seems
Jeremiah Meeks
Apr 17, 2015 Jeremiah Meeks rated it liked it
It is all you would expect from the dude that was the Rolling Stone's #1 Party animal and the Machine. Most of the stories he wrote he also told on his podcast or one of his friend's podcasts or one of his shows or one...

So a good simple man's read
Nickolas
Aug 07, 2014 Nickolas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Shit Bert

Good Shit Bert

I have been a big fan of Bert for many years and in this book he doesn't disappoint. With respect to Joey Diaz and Ms Pat, he is one of the greatest storytellers of our time. great read.
Rachael Morris kosko
Jun 18, 2014 Rachael Morris kosko rated it it was amazing
If you don't like well told stories and if you don't like to laugh out loud despite being the only one at home...then don't read this book.
If you are someone who enjoys those things, then let me recommend this book with a few beers to wash it down with.
Chris
Apr 04, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it
I've heard Bert describe some of his stories in his stand up routine or on podcasts, but this book expands those stories and adds new ones into the mix.
Bert would be the best social friend and worst best friend due to all his hijinks.
Simon
Jul 24, 2015 Simon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a Bert fan but I was mixed on the book. It's nicely written and some of the stories are great (such as "The Machine" story is flat out amazing) but it also contains stories that fell flat (such as his college years). Overall not a bad book but with some better entries and more pointed in its theme or direction and it could have been a good one.
Shawn
Jun 27, 2014 Shawn rated it really liked it
This is a fun read. Laugh out loud funny at times. Tear inducing at others. Fans that have been following Bert for a few years will have heard 1/2 of these stories, hence 4 starts, not 5.
Mark
Jul 31, 2014 Mark rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
actually 4.5....reading his own audiobook and chuckling at some of the things he wrote made it that much better and helped our drive from Alabama to Indiana so much easier.
Edward Hussey
Jul 16, 2014 Edward Hussey rated it really liked it
I love Bert. I was expecting the stories to be more hilarious, but they were warm (mostly) and genuine. He is a great story teller and the stars only reflect my expectations.
Chris Halpin
Jun 24, 2015 Chris Halpin rated it it was amazing
Oafishly charming. A fun read. Bert is the most positive personality and has had extraodinary things happen to him as a result of his great attitude towards life.
Cynthia
Sep 01, 2014 Cynthia rated it it was ok
Really funny, but after a 1/4 into it, I decided it wasn't the best read for me....lots of language and adult topics.
Kim
Jun 18, 2014 Kim rated it really liked it
The chapters didn't seem to be in any particular order, but the book was really funny. I was definitely laughing out loud at a lot of it.
Jul 23, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Hilarious!!! I don't know what else to say. It was laugh out loud funny. Very, Very, Very adult.
Patricia
Apr 20, 2015 Patricia rated it liked it
I read half iof this book and listened to the other half, funny stories prob better told than read.
Jun 17, 2014 Jennifer rated it liked it
Bert Kreischer shares stories from his past into what him the comedic legend he is today. Great stories from college, marriage and parenthood. Life has come full circle for Bert in this great read.
Frank
May 29, 2014 Frank rated it it was amazing
Shelves: autobiography
Very funny. Kind of like Hunter S. Thompson light.
Alan Moore
Dec 22, 2015 Alan Moore rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Bert Kreischer is a great story teller and that goes well in relaying his eventful life. It's a great book, easy read, and you will laugh out loud at least once per story.
  • And On That Bombshell: Inside the Madness and Genius of Top Gear
  • Cancer on Five Dollars a Day* (*chemo not included): How Humor Got Me Through the Toughest Journey of My Life
  • How to Piss in Public: From Teenage Rebellion to the Hangover of Adulthood
  • A Christmas Story: Behind the Scenes of a Holiday Classic
  • In the Blink of an Eye: Dale, Daytona, and the Day that Changed Everything
  • Round the Bend
  • Satiristas: Comedians, Contrarians, Raconteurs & Vulgarians
  • Country Music Broke My Brain: A Behind-the-Microphone Peek at Nashville's Famous and Fabulous Stars
  • Shrinkage: Manhood, Marriage, and the Tumor That Tried to Kill Me
  • If I Ever Get Back to Georgia, I'm Gonna Nail My Feet to the Ground
  • Tip It!: The World According to Maggie
  • Leaving Tinkertown (Literature and Medicine Series)
  • The Diary of Vaslav Nijinsky
  • Honey Badger Don't Care: Randall's Guide to Crazy, Nastyass Animals
  • Aussie Grit: My Formula One Journey
  • Plane Insanity
  • Paul and Me: Fifty-three Years of Adventures and Misadventures with My Pal Paul Newman
  • Winning Is Not Enough