Start by marking “Life of the Party: Stories of a Perpetual Man-Child” as Want to Read:
Life of the Party: Stories of a Perpetual Man-Child

Life of the Party: Stories of a Perpetual Man-Child

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  216 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Acollection of outrageousstories by the standup comic, TV host, and inspiration for the movie National Lampoon's Van Wilder

Bert Kreischer doesn't know how to say "no." If he did, he wouldn’t have gotten himself mixed up with a group of Russian mobsters on a class trip to Moscow, earning him his nickname: "The Machine." He wouldn't have wrestled with a bear or swum with sh
Published May 27th 2014 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Life of the Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life of the Party

Shelly Donaghey
Let me warn you about this book—Don’t let your children, especially if they are currently college students, read this. Ever!
That is, unless you have aspirations of your offspring appearing on Comedy Central someday, or you really want to spend as much hard earned money as you can for their never ending college education and antics thereof.
Kreischer definitely was the “Life of the Party” as the front cover of his book proudly proclaims. Yes, he definitely has many stories about life as a perpe
Headlines And
Paying respect to our forefathers is an important part of our culture. It’s why we celebrate President’s Day and Martin Luther King Day and other three-day weekends that make Sunday Fundays possible. Speaking of Sunday Funday, there’s a guy you should know about that practically invented the concept—along with Monday Funday, Tuesday Funday, Wednesday Funday, and so on. His name is Bert Kreisher and this is his book: Life Of The Party: Stories Of A Perpetual Man-Child ($26.00). It tells the sordi ...more
Heidi Wiechert
I received a free copy of this book through Goodreads First Reads. FTC guidelines: check!

When writing a book this outrageous, the author walks a thin, but very real, line between the vulgar and hysterical. Kreischer did an excellent job of finding the perfect balance. In a no-holds-barred style and with plenty of profanity, he puts you directly into his alcohol and drug-fueled existence. It is one wild ride.

I shamefacedly laughed quite a bit throughout even though I thought some of the antics (m
Brian Krespan
DISCLAIMER: I am a HUGE Bert fan, from his stand-up to his ridiculous TV shows (Hurt Bert, Trip Flip), to his podcast. Actually, his podcast is where I heard that he had written a book. I'm a HUGE fan of comedians who write books, especially books like this--where he basically tells stories about things that have happened in his life. Honestly, these could all be stand-up bits, if he were a Mike Birbiglia (also amazing book: Sleepwalk With Me) or a Bill Cosby.

Now, on Bert's podcast he mentioned
Emily
Bert Kreischer is hilarious. If you have never heard his standup, I feel bad for you. If you are not familiar, he is the guy the movie Van Wilder was based off of. He has also hosted shows on the Travel channel. I have heard some of these stories before(like The Machine bit and about him meeting Will Smith) but they made me laugh all over again. And the ones I haven't heard were excellent also(I loved hearing about the time he smoked PCP with Tracey Morgan and his story "CP" was hilarious and I ...more
Marcywinokur
To be honest, I hated this book. I kept reading because I hoped it would get better; I hoped that there would be some redeeming quality in Bert Kreischer or a revelation about his life. There wasn't. This book is basically all about Mr. Kreischer's frat boy lifestyle (even as an adult) and how partying basically got him to where he is today. It seems to say "you can be successful and famous, ignore responsibility, and party hard". As the title suggests, he is a "prepetual man-child" and it is no ...more
Wilmer
YA MASHINU! Bert Kreischer did one hell of a job writing about his adventures. By the end of the book you can't help but love Bert and his crazy lifestyle. I laughed and giggled throughout the entire book. If you are in college or love comedy read this book. Be careful though, it may make you want to do crazy things just like Bert did. I know once I finished the book I wanted to drink Vodka non stop and see what adventures I could get into...
Valerie
What an amazing ride! Bert Kreischer has had quite the life, and the greatest mystery to me? How has he survived it?!? If you've ever imagined, "What if I had said yes...." - well, wonder no more. Bert never says no, and .... wow, has it gotten him into some fascinating (and frankly dangerous) situations. Do fraternities really haze? Yes, and Bert lived to tell. Do bears like marshmallows? Read the book to find out! A fast and fun read.
Bookslut
Quick and funny. I have been in love with this guy's story since I heard it on the radio ten years ago, so I was truly delighted to find his book. All this time, I've just been wandering around hoping someone had heard of the guy who goes by 'The Machine' when he's in Russia, but no one ever had. Stumbled by his book and felt like one of my life-dreams had come true. Found ya, Bert Kreischer!
Jeff
enjoyable brisk read that had me laughing literally out loud, perfect for the summer. Gives you a vibe that he seems like a regular guy under extraordinary circumstances. Seems like a guy you'd love to hang out with just to hear the stories. What Dane Cook strives to be it seems
nickolas vostoris
Good Shit Bert

Good Shit Bert

I have been a big fan of Bert for many years and in this book he doesn't disappoint. With respect to Joey Diaz and Ms Pat, he is one of the greatest storytellers of our time. great read.
Rachael Morris kosko
If you don't like well told stories and if you don't like to laugh out loud despite being the only one at home...then don't read this book.
If you are someone who enjoys those things, then let me recommend this book with a few beers to wash it down with.
Shawn
This is a fun read. Laugh out loud funny at times. Tear inducing at others. Fans that have been following Bert for a few years will have heard 1/2 of these stories, hence 4 starts, not 5.
Mark
actually 4.5....reading his own audiobook and chuckling at some of the things he wrote made it that much better and helped our drive from Alabama to Indiana so much easier.
Edward Hussey
I love Bert. I was expecting the stories to be more hilarious, but they were warm (mostly) and genuine. He is a great story teller and the stars only reflect my expectations.
Cynthia
Really funny, but after a 1/4 into it, I decided it wasn't the best read for me....lots of language and adult topics.
Kim
The chapters didn't seem to be in any particular order, but the book was really funny. I was definitely laughing out loud at a lot of it.
Hilarious!!! I don't know what else to say. It was laugh out loud funny. Very, Very, Very adult.
Christine
I'm not sure what happened here, but I'm glad it's over. Also how did this guy survive to adulthood?
Bert Kreischer shares stories from his past into what him the comedic legend he is today. Great stories from college, marriage and parenthood. Life has come full circle for Bert in this great read.
Frank
Very funny. Kind of like Hunter S. Thompson light.
William M. Bratcher
Endearing

Bert at half s best, and his most vulnerable. I feel like Bert and I are old friends, but we haven't met. Yet.
Monica Alvarez
loved loved loved this man child's stories. I laughed. I cried. I respect the machine
Jen
Loved it! I want more! Love you Bert!
Eva
Great collection of stories ! It's unbelievable that Bert even remembers half of what happened to him. I loved the stories of his Russian language classes and the resulting trip to Russia. The collection is funny and it's an easy light read. It's a great book to give when you want to buy a book as a gift--and you don't know their preference. I appreciate receiving this advance copy from GOODREADS / the publisher.(less)
Karen Thaeter
You are a funny guy Bert!
The book made me laugh ,and I am sure you have many more tales to tell.
I am glad that I had the opportunity to read your book,and now will watch out for you on tv too.
You remind me of an old "Aussie" favourite that I grew up with "Bazza McKenzie".
I can see you now, cracking a few "Tubes" on Bondi Beach!

Jenny Ford
This book is hilarious, you can really imagine the stories he tells. A must read!
Mark
Bert is the man!

Bert is hilarious! His stories are unbelievably funny! I wish the book was longer, I'm sure he has many more great stories! I'd love to party with him!
G
The MACHINE! Bert's stories are hilarious! One of the most honest and best comedy books I have read.
Greta Broseus
Greta Broseus is currently reading it
Jan 28, 2015
  • Cancer on Five Dollars a Day* (*chemo not included): How Humor Got Me Through the Toughest Journey of My Life
  • In the Blink of an Eye: Dale, Daytona, and the Day that Changed Everything
  • A Christmas Story: Behind the Scenes of a Holiday Classic
  • How to Piss in Public: From Teenage Rebellion to the Hangover of Adulthood
  • Country Music Broke My Brain: A Behind-the-Microphone Peek at Nashville's Famous and Fabulous Stars
  • Satiristas: Comedians, Contrarians, Raconteurs & Vulgarians
  • If I Ever Get Back to Georgia, I'm Gonna Nail My Feet to the Ground
  • Round the Bend
  • Tip It!: The World According to Maggie
  • Shrinkage: Manhood, Marriage, and the Tumor That Tried to Kill Me
  • The Diary of Vaslav Nijinsky
  • Honey Badger Don't Care: Randall's Guide to Crazy, Nastyass Animals
  • Plane Insanity
  • Paul and Me: Fifty-three Years of Adventures and Misadventures with My Pal Paul Newman
  • Winning Is Not Enough: The Autobiography (UK Edition)
  • Evel
  • My Life as Indiana Jones, James Bond, Superman and Other Action Heroes
  • 747: Creating the World's First Jumbo Jet and Other Adventures from a Life in Aviation
Life of the Party: Stories of a Perpetual Man Child