Start by marking “Overlord (Event Group Thriller #9)” as Want to Read:
Overlord (Event Group Thriller #9)

Overlord (Event Group Adventure #9)

4.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  468 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
In the stunning conclusion to the Matchstick Man saga that began with Event and continued with Legacy, the End of Days is upon humanity---invasion has arrived!

Some speculate that the war between the two worlds began 700 million years ago, while others say it started in 1947 over a small town in New Mexico called Roswell. Regardless of dates, the war is now upon us, and aft
Published July 15th 2014 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about Overlord, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Overlord

Aug 23, 2014 Jennifer rated it liked it
I'm not sure what happened here. In the eight prior Event Group books, there has been the benefit of plot and character development. In his zeal to wrap up an ongoing story introduced in the very first novel, Golemon seems to have dumped all of that out the window for the sake of battle scene after battle scene. The descriptions of military hardware got so indulgent after a while that I just started skimming through the battle scenes in order to try to get to the point. As in any action adventur ...more
Dee Haddrill
Originally read 18 July 2014; listened to via Audible 1 May 2015.

In a series full of heroism, wild feats of daring and true friendship, Overlord covers all these and more. The sheer acts of heroism by the Event Group, the lengths they will go to get the job done, and the lengths they will go to stand by each other is truly extraordinary. While this is ninth book in the series, it is also more the last of the trilogy that started with the very first book, Event. An emotional roller-coaster, be pr
Stig
Picked this for a long flight, so I struggled through it. I shouldn't have.

Way too long and badly written. I didn't realize that the Hubble telescope would be able to pick up a cluster of flying saucers thousands of lightyears away and track their movements instantaneously. I would have thought that a) even the biggest flying saucer would be too small to detect at that distance and b) any movement would have happened thousands of years ago, but no! It is also a surprise to me that aliens could f
Steven
May 02, 2015 Steven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had previously read Ripper, Leviathan, and Carpathian, so I’m familiar with the series, even though I’m reading it out of order. Since some of the novels—and this one in particular—mention and depend on actions that happened in the earlier books, I think it would be best to read the series in order. The idea of the Event Group, or Department 5656, is intriguing—a secret government office dedicated to studying the mysteries of history and how those mysteries affect modern life. The characters a ...more
Rick
Aug 19, 2014 Rick rated it really liked it
Overlord is another solid novel from David Lynn Goleman. This is the final novel of the trilogy that included the books, The Event and Legend. The problem that I had is that they were spaced so far apart. The Event was the first book that Goleman wrote and Legend was five or so novels down the road and another couple in between Legend and Overlord. I may not be accurate but I am close. The distance is such that I will probably go back and read Legend again which is not a bad chore.
The story is s
Saint Lart
Sep 07, 2014 Saint Lart rated it did not like it
I've seriously enjoyed every book in this series a lot, and always looked forward to the next installment. Until this one. I feel as though this was written by a different person. All the characters seem caricatures of themselves, the peans to the military, while always present and appreciated. seem to a doubled in number.
What I think bothered me the most is that the entire plot of this book is Independence Day. I wish I knew the behind the scenes of what happened with this.
I really hate giving
Dave Moore
Aug 04, 2015 Dave Moore rated it really liked it
David Golemon has no peers when it comes to blending real history, plausible (yet speculative) science, and good old-fashioned adventure.
Vikram
Jul 14, 2015 Vikram rated it liked it
Another science-fiction, adventure thriller by Golemon in the Event group series. Picked up this one for the hint that the story involved some weapon of the destruction left behind by aliens and use of which is the only option left to defend mankind from the threat of invasion by another alien beings. Mix that basic story with global scale distrust among countries, political rivalries, personal vendetta to avenge murder for sibling and the Event group. Elaborate battle tactics and military plan ...more
Randy Henke
Nov 21, 2014 Randy Henke rated it it was amazing
David Golemon doesn't disappoint with his latest Event Group thriller. Never one for flowery prose, his writing is gritty and to the point. Each time you pick up the book, the pacing and suspense draws you in and keeps you reading far longer than you had planned. If you haven't read the prior books in the series, I would strongly suggest you start from the beginning before committing to this one. There is a good deal of backstory from at least two of the prior books that puts everything in persp ...more
David
Aug 03, 2014 David rated it really liked it
I've enjoyed all the Event Group books. Plenty of action and they are my favorite genre: Present/Near Future SciFi, Mythology, Fantasy. Overlord delivers all that. I hope the ending is a prelude to another book. Why the Four Star rating? One glaring thing I couldn't overlook. The Hubble Telescope cannot "see" thousands of light years away in real time. Everything it "sees" happened thousands of years in our past. Mr. Golemon should have come up with a way to get around that. Perhaps by "looking" ...more
Kathy Elliott
Sep 14, 2014 Kathy Elliott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The sky's the limit

From the first word to the last, Overlord is full of action. The Event Group is at it again, working against impossible odds, this time to save the planet.

As always, Goleman has written an exciting, action packed story. Old friends and some new ones make an appearance.

In some ways, this story is different from his previous efforts, but it keeps you reading. An excellent read.
Denise Pincus
Jan 27, 2015 Denise Pincus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read!

Please - when will the next Event book arrive? I love this series. I wish the Overlord series had not ended. But I look forward to reading future stories. I won't discuss the details of this book but if you have aDvent you what's going on. If you are looking for anew read try these. no Ljubljana s - they are great fun!
Randy Evans
Jul 30, 2014 Randy Evans rated it it was amazing
Within the nine book Event Group series is a trilogy made up of book 1 "Event", book 6 "Legacy", and book 9 "Overlord" with Overlord being the epic conclusion of the trilogy. While several of the members of the group were lost in Overlord the group remains to keep the country and the world safe. Every book in this series is five star and I'm glad I was able to find it and read it and I'm sure you will be to.
Patrick Nichol
Sep 19, 2014 Patrick Nichol rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic space opera, alien invasion adventure worthy of the Event Group series.
The Earth is mobiliizing to fight an aggresse alien species first introduced in David Goleman's Event debut novel.
Can a 7,000 year old Martian spacecraft and the combined forces of Earth defeat the enemy?
Threatening the entire operation is a traitorous group of US government officials bent on seizing power.
Despite some spelling mistakes, this is a satisfying read.
Karey
Aug 10, 2014 Karey rated it it was amazing
Could not put this book down--first time action sequence has kept me up several nights to finish, late for work because I had to read 'just one more page', pissed that my Android phone decided NOT to load Kindle properly, so had to wait until I was home before resuming the story--gah!
I won't give anything away, but I'm anxious for the next book--just as soon as I dry my eyes over this one!

I HIGHLY advise reading these in order, or you won't feel AS connected to the characters.
Jacob Patrick Torres
Sep 14, 2014 Jacob Patrick Torres rated it really liked it
All over the place finale, still good, and nicely wrapping up the series. One which, let's face it, you weren't reading because it was serious literature, but because it was fun shark-jumpy nonsense of the best kind.
Kerry
Jul 03, 2015 Kerry rated it it was amazing
I have to say I have enjoyed the attention to detail, the action and the characters of every Golemon book I have read. The guy knows his audience and how to keep them turning the page.
Brian Mccamey
Feb 20, 2015 Brian Mccamey rated it really liked it
Very good conclusion... (noticed the way the "door was left open" for a return). more that enough excitement for one to enjoy... this is one series that is good to read as a series - the books will do well as stand-alones, but to to get the full effect, best to read in order. Hope there will be follow on stories... would like to find out about some of the surviving characters.
Mailmanr5
This is a weak sister to the others in this intriguing series. Really stretches the imagination-which is ok if there is more substance.
Janet Riegel
Aug 11, 2016 Janet Riegel rated it it was amazing
another great thriller from the event group. If you like warehuose 13, you will like these books!
Ronda Bradley
Jul 31, 2014 Ronda Bradley rated it really liked it
I really enjoy the Event Group novels, they are a nice escape from reality. Fast-paced and engaging. You really need to read them in order to get the full impact of this one.
Amelia
Aug 15, 2014 Amelia rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, mystery
The most action-packed book in the series and one of the saddest :(
Chris
Nov 29, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it
The battle with the Grays comes to a deadly conclusion.
Travis Aslakson
Dec 21, 2014 Travis Aslakson rated it really liked it
I like it alot. I didn't mind all the action happening, but was not expecting what happens.
Jason White
Oct 19, 2015 Jason White rated it it was amazing
Not quite an ending, but a sad end to the long running storyline. Many favorite characters were lost in this novel, but it was well written and a good ending nonetheless.
Felix
Aug 10, 2014 Felix rated it really liked it
Aliens vs. mankind a great conclusion!
Scott Shaw
Feb 26, 2015 Scott Shaw rated it liked it
Enjoyed the series, but this one really let me down. Too many cheap plot tricks and simply ignored the characters.
Not a fitting wrap up to events of the last 8 books.
Kathy Pender
Sep 13, 2014 Kathy Pender rated it it was amazing
I have loved each and every one of the Event Group adventures, but this latest one, Overlord is non stop action packed excitement and a fantastic read. Mr Golemon has surpassed himself.
Stephen
Jun 07, 2016 Stephen rated it really liked it
Well, this is the exciting conclusion of the Matchstick story arc. It was an exciting ending. The Gray Aliens have finally invaded earth, and it is up to our intrepid heroes to stave off the invasion. The mystery of the watch is finally revealed. I hope we'll see that character again, but I just don't know. I've hated and admired Golemon's readiness to kill of beloved characters. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.
Cudeyo
Oct 25, 2014 Cudeyo rated it really liked it
En este noveno libro de la saga del grupo Evento, Golemon termina con la trilogía dedicada al ataque alienígena. El libro, en general, me ha gustado aunque me he perdido un poco en algunos momentos (descripción de equipos militares o similar). Mi inglés es bueno, pero estas descripciones no las puedo seguir siquiera en español. Eso sí, el final del libro se las trae; por favor, ¡¿qué necesidad había de hacer eso?!
Just finished Carpathia. Start Overlord tomorrow. 1 3 Jan 28, 2015 06:57AM
Just finished Carpathia. Start Overlord tomorrow. 1 2 Jan 28, 2015 06:57AM
  • MirrorWorld
  • Black Mountain (Alex Hunter, #4)
  • The Valhalla Prophecy (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase #9)
  • The Seraphim Sequence (The Fifth Column, #2)
  • Hunger (Hunger #1)
David L. Golemon is the author of the Event Group Thrillers, including Event, Ancients, Leviathan and Primeval. Legend, the second book in the series, was nominated for a RITA award for paranormal fiction. Golemon learned an early love of reading from his father, who told him that the written word, unlike other forms, allows readers to use their own minds, the greatest special effects machines of ...more
More about David Lynn Golemon...

Event Group Adventure (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Event (Event Group Adventure, #1)
  • Legend (Event Group Thriller #2)
  • Ancients (Event Group Thriller #3)
  • Leviathan (Event Group Thriller #4)
  • Primeval (Event Group Thriller #5)
  • Legacy (Event Group Thriller #6)
  • Ripper (Event Group Thriller #7)
  • Carpathian (Event Group Thriller #8)
  • The Mountain (Event Group Thriller #10)
  • The Traveler (Event Group Thriller #11)