Start by marking “Queen Victoria: A Life of Contradictions” as Want to Read:
Queen Victoria: A Life of Contradictions

Queen Victoria: A Life of Contradictions

3.21 of 5 stars 3.21  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Queen Victoria is Britain’s queen of contradictions. In her combination of deep sentimentality and bombast; cultural imperialism and imperial compassion; fear of intellectualism and excitement at technology; romanticism and prudishness, she became a spirit of the age to which she gave her name.

Victoria embraced photography, railway travel and modern art; she resisted compu
Published June 24th 2014 by St. Martin's Press (first published August 15th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Queen Victoria, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queen Victoria

Carolyn
A good book, mostly for those who have read a bit on Victoria already or conversely, who have not read anything on her. It is small and not necessarily packed full of information, but still entertaining enough.
I chose to read this after reading A Victorian City and prior to reading Little Dorrit, so it was a great refresher to get me in the mood for Dickens.
I do recommend, as it is an easy and educational read!
Amy Davies
Short but fairly interesting, this was a well-written book for the most part. However, I didn't like the propensity in which Dennison used old-fashioned, excessively long or extremely unusual words, meaning I had to look things up several times a chapter. Usually the word ended up meaning something which could have been replaced with a far more commonplace word - I'm not sure if this was done to give the illusion of cleverness, but it put me off somewhat.
Pamela
I seem to like this book better than many reviewers. In fact, I looked forward to picking it up again whenever I had a moment. The author's insightful analysis of Victoria's family background and her resultant behavior provide a fascinating glimpse into this second longest reigning British monarch (after the current queen, Elizabeth II). I didn't want to know all about the foreign and domestic affairs of her reign; I did want to understand her a little better - and I do.
Nicole N.
Although not the most thorough account of Victoria's life that I have read, it was one of the few that talked and in which I learned a little more of Victoria's life after Prince Albert's passing. I think the author gave himself as disadvantage when he wrote such a short book. After all, Victoria's life and reign was so long that he could have written at least 150 more pages that I would have been glad to read.

Like I said before, I learned a bit more about the life of Victoria that I didn't kno
Mysteryfan
I am not really sure who the audience is for this book or its goal. It presents Victoria's life in a superficial way, It focuses on family and a few other people but it is too short to do them justice. It's not even a good intro for those seeking to learn more about the woman who gave the name to an age and style. Disappointing.
Tuborg Skratulja
Very interesting read, though I think there would have to be a more precise and In depth biography out there, this book has got me more wanting to read on her expanding families and how theory branched out through Europe and how there lives would've changed despising one another as there countries faced wars.
Chantay
It's a pocket-sized biography. Sparse on the facts/history and big on the salacious melodrama. A good perusal for those already knowledgeable about Queen Victoria's reign.
Stuart Smith
This book is not great. I blame the editor. The book jumps all over the place like a coked out conversation about qv instead of a lucid historian with something to say. How this author has a multiple book publishing deal is beyond me.
Andrea Engle
Brilliant, though brief, biography ... crammed with interesting facts, it concentrates on the personality of the queen ... good introduction to the history of the reign ...
Brenda Dobson
Wonderful book - couldn't put it down - highly recommend it!
Linda
May 13, 2014 Linda added it
Review for Library Journal
Mandy
I received this book via the goodreads first reads program - thank you goodreads,matthew dennison and the publisher.

This is a small book considering the subject lived a very long life. I did enjoy the book but felt this was more of a teaser for a more indepth, detailed account of a very lengthy life.

Certainly a well researched book,I would read more of Matthew Dennisons books because I enjoyed his style of writing.

905_schrama
905_schrama marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Viktoria Kareva
Viktoria Kareva marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Lisa Levine
Lisa Levine marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Beth G.
Beth G. marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Michael Burns
Michael Burns marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
  • Ella: Princess, Saint and Martyr
  • Shooting Victoria: Madness, Mayhem, and the Rebirth of the British Monarchy
  • Charlotte & Leopold: The True Story of The Original People's Princess
  • Victoria: A Life
  • Chaucer's Tale: 1386 and the Road to Canterbury
  • An Uncommon Woman - The Empress Frederick: Daughter of Queen Victoria, Wife of the Crown Prince of Prussia, Mother of Kaiser Wilhelm
  • American Lady: The Life of Susan Mary Alsop
  • The Children of Henry VIII
  • Eleanor of Aquitaine: The Mother Queen of the Middle Ages
  • The Marquis: Lafayette Reconsidered
  • King, Kaiser, Tsar: Three Royal Cousins Who Led The World To War
  • American Queen: The Rise and Fall of Kate Chase Sprague--Civil War "Belle of the North" and Gilded Age Woman of Scandal
  • The Most Powerful Women in the Middle Ages: Queens, Saints, and Viking Slayers, From Empress Theodora to Elizabeth of Tudor
  • This I Remember
  • Queen Victoria: A Personal History
  • Princesses: The Six Daughters of George III
  • The Perfect Prince: The Mystery of Perkin Warbeck and His Quest for the Throne of England
  • Becoming Queen
The Last Princess: The Devoted Life of Queen Victoria's Youngest Daughter Twelve Caesars Empress of Rome: The Life of Livia Behind the Mask: The Life of Vita Sackville-West Vita: Rebel, Iconoclast and the Woman Behind the Mask