Start by marking “Be Careful What You Wish For (The Clifton Chronicles #4)” as Want to Read:
Be Careful What You Wish For (The Clifton Chronicles #4)

Be Careful What You Wish For (The Clifton Chronicles #4)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  5,371 ratings  ·  804 reviews
Bestselling author Jeffrey Archer's Be Careful What You Wish For opens with Harry Clifton and his wife Emma rushing to hospital to learn the fate of their son Sebastian, who has been involved in a fatal car accident. But who died, Sebastian or his best friend Bruno?

When Ross Buchanan is forced to resign as chairman of the Barrington Shipping Company, Emma Clifton wants to
Published March 11th 2014 by St. Martin's Press / MacMillan (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Be Careful What You Wish For, please sign up.

Harleen Kaur
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
The Collector of Dying Breaths by M.J. RoseWritten in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana GabaldonA Burnable Book by Bruce HolsingerA King's Ransom by Sharon Kay PenmanThe Queen's Exiles by Barbara Kyle
Historical Fiction 2014
116th out of 356 books — 2,104 voters
Exposure by Kathy ReichsThe Silkworm by Robert GalbraithReturn to Tradd Street by Karen WhiteEmergent by Rachel CohnThe Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan
2014 Books I cannot wait to get my hands on
6th out of 35 books — 34 voters

More lists with this book...

Sam Arnold
I have friends who will not read a series of books until they have brought them all. Having been frustrated at having to wait until 2015 to see how this ends I am beginning to see there point. That is how good this series of books it. I was frustrated at the end of the last one and I am frustrated at the end of this one. I hate waiting.

The story starts exactly where the last left us and continues the story of all the characters we have come to love in the Clifton Chronicles. As the novels progr
Nilesh
Clifton Chronicles in the fourth episode first drifts then decays and by the end simply disintegrates into a purposeless record of a barely interesting family. It keeps trying to evoke reader emotions through the same story tricks used frequently in the previous books but they are no longer charming, if not outright annoying.

Multi-generation accounts are always tricky. The arrow of a usual such story requires an opening in the initial phase that meets some sort of a closure in the climax to hang
Patrice Hoffman
HOW DARE YOU END A STORY THAT WAY MR. ARCHER!!!!

Jeffrey Archer forces me, and other readers alike, to wait a whole year before we can get the book 5 in the Clifton Chronicles?!?!?! That is unacceptable. Like it's predecessors, Be Careful What You Wish For ends with a cliffhanger that cleverly forces readers to buy the next in the series. I see what you did there Mr. Archer. And I'm not mad at all. Not one little bit...

Be Careful What You Wish For begins where leaves off barely allowing a moment
Edie
This saga is draggin out a bit too long for me. This is number 4 in the Clifton Family soap opera and there is at least one more to go. Strikes me that old Jeffrey is just making hay while he can. The story is very predictable but the most disappointing thing for me is the lack of connection with the characters. They are there, playing their parts but I really don't have any feeling for them one way or another. The worst part about this is that I'll probably read the next one too....!
Diptakirti Chaudhuri
When I was in Class 7, my father recommended the first Jeffrey Archer novel I read - Not A Penny More, Not A Penny Less. I did not quite understand the intricacies of the stock fraud but the reverse stings were spectacular. And I was hooked for life.
When you are nearing forty, you get used to quality of your favourite things deteriorating. Old haunts shut down. Favourite authors turn boring. Actors you love start hamming.

The Clifton Chronicles come as a welcome relief. Jeffrey Archer, whom I re
Charlene Intriago
A quick read and engaging story in the Harry Clifton chronicles. There are good guys and bad guys (really bad guys). What is that old saying - "Revenge is a dish best served cold"?? And who wins in the end? I had to keep turning the pages!
Kathy Chung
I am disappointed by this book as I have expected more.

it seems that the story getting repetitious. previously Lady Virginia wants to destroy the family. in this book, it's Don Pedro turn.

for me Boardroom politics is getting a bit tedious. too much time was spent on boardrooms squabbles.

I felt that the aftermath of Sebastian and Bruno's accident was rather flat.

the part about Jessica and Clive was not intense enough.

maybe branching out and writing about various events in the life of the next
Jane
Once again, an amazing book in this author's "Clifton Chronicles" series - #4. The suspense builds through the entire book and then on the last page (the same in each book), you are left hanging - impossible to imagine the fate of your favorite characters. I hate having to wait until sometime in 2015 to read the next book. All of the characters and their relationships have been so well written. It has been a joy to read each book (except nothing else in my life gets done).
I highly recommend that
P.A.Davies
Another great tale from Archer ending with yet another marvellous cliffhanger. Yes, he may be slightly predictable with his writings and yes, some people don't favour the man's stories but for me, I find his novels easy and enjoyable to read.
"Be careful what you wish for" is the fourth instalment of the Clifton Chronicles and as usual, is both well researched and written in a manner that seamlessly links this and his previous episodes together, offering gentle reminders about what happened in b
Ionia
I loved the first couple of books in this series and the last one I found somewhat enjoyable as well. Sadly, by this book I no longer have much interest.

This book felt...lacking. As I was reading through the accounts of the daily life of this family, I felt like I was watching a rather lackluster reality show. The story is still well written and the characters are as real as ever, but I didn't feel like this book had the drive and excitement that the previous ones did.

I did enjoy getting to unc
Savvy
I'm so disappointed with this book that it's heartbreaking for me, especially since Jeffrey Archer is one of my favourite authors. There's overuse of the same cheap tricks over and over, and the events becomes quite predictable. Even the cliff hanger at the end is not very intriguing, because there are only two possible resolutions, and the sequence of events following either of them is nothing to look forward to if the writing continues to be so insipid.
Definitely not worth the year long wait,
Joel Szerlip
Be Careful What You Wish For is at the very least a better novel then the previous entry into the series, Best Kept Secret. However for a series that started off as splendidly as this, its still a let down from the first two novels.

Be Careful What You Wish For picks up minutes after the cliffhanger from Best Kept Secret and continues down the winding road of mysteries that is a Jeffrey Archer novel. For the first two novels of the series all the twists and turns seemed justified. Unfortunately t
Laurie
I used to love Jeffrey Archer's novels. I guess my tastes have changed over the years. The last few I've read just have bored me. I don't care about the characters or the plots. Ho hum. And it wasn't until I got to the end that I realized it was one in a series of books, so it left off like the cliffhanger of a TV series, which made me feel duped. Nowhere on the cover does it say it's one of a series. Phooey to Jeffrey Archer. It's the last of his that I'll bother with. What's with these authors ...more
Benjamin Thomas
The fourth book in the “Clifton Chronicles” series continues the family saga of the Cliftons and the Barringtons bringing them up through the year 1964. As in the other novels of the series, we are treated to the various triumphs and tragedies of this extended family as they make their perilous way through the 20th century. Combining boardroom power struggles, financial back-door deals, art auctions, IRA terrorist plots, this book packs in a lot of story.

And Mr. Archer is not afraid to kill off
Joe Stamber
Now on its fourth book, Archer's Clifton Chronicles seems to be on a downward spiral. I really enjoyed the first two in the series, but then the third wasn't up to the same standard - with one of the most significant reasons being the ill advised plot featuring the irritating Lady Virginia. Sadly, this latest instalment continues the trend, including a couple of unwelcome cameos by the aforementioned Lady V.

Much of the early part of Be Careful What You Wish For revolves around boardroom battles
Mohana Sidhaarth
How does Jeffrey Archer manage this? Every single time, in each of his books, he manages to grab my attention and make sure I don't put down the book until I am done.

It has been more than a year since I read the last book. I was sure I had forgotten everything about the Clifton Chronicles. I was having some difficulty remembering the plot of the first three books and where the last one ended. But as soon as I read the first few pages of the fourth installment, the entire story came rushing back
Shubhra
This a regular Archer book... intricate, fast-paced, some good dialogues, great character insights and really good language. Surprisingly, no pulling of the punches was performed with respect to losses to key characters and losses of key characters - and that is worthy of respect. The interplay of joys and losses, and the emerging of protagonists after the losses into sunshine, makes for some delightful reading.
Plus, the cameo appearance of a surprising historical figure was fun to read.
Wishing
LuAnn
This series continues with another intriguing addition that demonstrates why Jeffrey Archer is one of the greatest storytellers of our generation!
Archer never, ever disappoints. He makes every story fascinating to read and this book is right up there with the best.
I've truly been enjoying this series and I read where it will now change from 5 to 7 books. Each one covers a particular point in time and brings the reader right into the storyline. The characters are so well thought out and you feel
David Veazey
This is the forth in a series (The Clifton Chronicles) by Jeffrey Archer. They are very well written and researched. I always enjoy his well-thought-out style and story lines. My only objection is, since I did not know this was the last of the series, I was shocked when I came to the end and found so much unresolved and a note promising the next book sometime in 2015! Plus, until today, I thought it was the third -- Is that why there were details I missed?! However, I do plan to put a hold on th ...more
Monnie
This is the fourth in Archer's "Clifton Chronicles" series, and I admit to being at a bit of a disadvantage for not having read any of the others. On that score, though, I felt only a little out of it as I read this one; it certainly would have helped had I been more familiar with the story line, but it stands on its own well enough to be enjoyed.

A couple of other things, however, bothered me a bit - one of my own doing. As many books as I read, I should know by now that any book I start reading
Ravi :)
I enjoyed reading the book... and it was actually fast paced and very well written when all try to do tit for tat while selling the shares..and very nice twists..and turns..
Now just waiting for the next book and looks like its in 2015 only.. I was like. .oh man..thats a long time... now..
Probably need to start reading other books.. :D and put this Clifton Chronicles on Hold..
Chinmay Maheshwari
Starting is a bit slow and there are pieces that don't seem to fit in. Then comes the entire jumbled-up plots of old and new parties, trying to outsmart each other. On one side is the old Barringtons, Clifftons and their supporters, both old and new. And on the other side is Don Pedro Martinez, his not so smart sons and some hired Irishmen.
The character of Cedric Hardcastle seems to be trying to take place of good old Jack, but he doesn't come even halfway through to the level of wisdom, wit, i
Tanya
Riveting story but I didn't want it to end! Wish these authors would receive an incentive for publishing more often rather than less often.
Mj
Be Careful What You Wish For by Jeffrey Archer is Book 4 in The Clifton Chronicle Series. Disclaimer: I am a diehard Jeffrey Archer fan and look forward to each of his new books.

While I was slightly disappointed with Book 3 and only gave it 4 stars, I was totally happy with Book 4. It is definitely 5 star worthy. I couldn’t put it down and it kept my interest from beginning to end without not one dull moment. There were so many twists and turns, lots of interesting characters and all kinds of fi
Simone
I am not in love with Book 4 in the series.

The story felt weak to me - disjointed and random; too many short stories about this plot and that plan and this escapade and that scheme… it just left me feeling like there was nothing really concrete going on to justify a 4th book. At times, I felt like I was reading a movie script.

Not surprisingly it ended with a cliff-hanger, so in addition to not being that great a read – there was no conclusion! Ugh! I say skip it and wait for Book 5.

I would have
Lisa
While I am a huge fan of Mr. Archer, and can't seem to "not" read this series..my stars for this book only reached three. Seemingly because by about the 3rd book my interest (and believability) starts to wane. As this book has many intriguing characters and tense situations...I believe it could have possibly been told in three (pushing the envelope to be wrapped up in four) books.
I was sad that a "prize" (my opinion) character was cut short and that the storyline of this character was not elabor
Lcitera
Archer's books never disappoint me. This book is number four in the intriguing Clifton Chronicles and the plots are riveting. I could not put down this book and read it in two days. I am thrilled to learn installment number five is soon coming my way.
Anila Varma
The Clifton Chronicles have a bit of everything, how many times can you say that you are looking forward to volume 5 of a series. Though not his best work (will rate Shall We tell the president and the prodigal daughter over this) it's a very interesting series and can't wait for picking up the 5th book in 2015!
Sadiq Kazi
As always...keep biting nails for another year to know what happens in the 5th book of the series! :-)
Tim
Very well written page turner that leaves you gasping for the next installment of the series. 9 of 10 stars
The wait for the next book is killing me! 2 9 Dec 05, 2014 04:00AM
Could not put it down, one of 4 great books 3 23 Sep 18, 2014 08:42PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine 2 12 Aug 06, 2014 05:09PM
Waiting.... 2 43 Apr 03, 2014 03:04PM
Bookwormed Reviews: Be Careful What You Wish For - Jeffrey Archer 1 8 Mar 24, 2014 01:59AM
  • Black Horizon (Jack Swyteck, #11)
  • The Keeper (Dismas Hardy, #15)
  • The Bootlegger (Isaac Bell, #7)
  • Secrets from the Past
  • Resistant (Dr. Lou Welcome, #3)
  • Murder 101 (Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus, #22)
  • The Escape (John Puller, #3)
  • Impulse
  • King And Maxwell (King & Maxwell): by David Baldacci -- Sidekick
  • The Death Trade (Sean Dillion, #20)
  • The Lincoln Myth (Cotton Malone, #9)
  • Back Bay (Peter Fallon, #1)
  • Live to See Tomorrow
  • Identical (Kindle County Legal Thriller, #9)
  • Power Play (FBI Thriller, #18)
  • The October List
  • Rendezvous
  • Standup Guy (Stone Barrington, #28)
Jeffrey Howard Archer, Baron Archer of Weston-super-Mare (born 15 April 1940) is an English author and former politician.

He was a Member of Parliament and deputy chairman of the Conservative Party, and became a life peer in 1992. His political career, having suffered several controversies, ended after a conviction for perverting the course of justice and his subsequent imprisonment. He is married
More about Jeffrey Archer...
Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1) Only Time Will Tell (The Clifton Chronicles, #1) Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less The Prodigal Daughter (Kane & Abel, #2) A Prisoner of Birth

“A work of art is worth what someone will pay for it.” 3 likes
“An unguarded comment often proves every bit as valuable as a response to a direct question.” 3 likes