Start by marking “Dead Line” as Want to Read:
Dead Line

Dead Line

3.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  238 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
And just as your plan is developing, so you're evolving, too. You're changing in ways you never would have thought possible before. But that's acceptable to you. You're prepared to do whatever it takes . . . Why? Because you're the specialist. And that's how you're going to succeed.
What do you do if your fiance goes missing, presumed taken?
If you're Daniel Trent, a highly-
Published August 5th 2014 by Minotaur Books (first published January 30th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Line, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Line

Liz Barnsley
Coming 1st August from Faber & Faber

Having loved "Safe House" I was very much looking forward to this novel from Mr Ewan and I was very excited to receive a copy from Netgalley - thank you kindly.

Daniel Trent works in the dangerous field of hostage negotiation...along with his fiancee Aimee. When Aimee goes missing herself, Trent has a good idea of who is responsible...but then his chief suspect is kidnapped and so begins a desperate search for answers. Can Trent save the kidnap victim and f
Yatish
Jul 21, 2014 Yatish rated it it was amazing
Chris Ewan spins a web of magic around the reader slowly unveiling the story, keeping you on tenterhooks. Unlike other thrillers where the good guys and bad guys are identified from the start and its a race to the end. Dead Line unfolds slowly with multiple threads advancing the story forward and takes you along Daniel Trent's journey to find his wife. You can feel his pain, anguish and the constant dread if the two will ever be reunited. Ultimately Chris Ewan's brings all the threads together f ...more
Paul
Feb 21, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it
This isn't the sort of book I'd just grab off the shelf on a whim, but I got it as part of our local library's "blind date" Valentine 's program, where they wrap books in brown paper and describe them with three keywords. For "Dead Line," the three words were "France," "hostage" and "thriller," which about covers it. Overall, this is a fun read. Not perfect, by any stretch, but it's a fun turn-off-your-brain book. There are some writing tics that get old, and some odd lapses out of the third-per ...more
Mary Mack
Jan 01, 2015 Mary Mack rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-books
Daniel Trent is a professional negotiator who along with his business partner and fiancee, Amiee Paget, sells kidnap and ransom insurance policies to wealthy clients. He also leads the negotiations with the kidnapper if an abduction takes place and ransom demands are made. We meet him when he Jerome Moreau, a client, under surveillance in front of the Opera house, where he has been attending a performance by the Ballet National de Marseille. Daniel is surprised when someone kidnaps M Moreau in t ...more
Judy Collins
Aug 04, 2014 Judy Collins rated it really liked it
A special thank you to St. Martin's Press and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Chris Ewan's DEAD LINE, crosses over to the dark side, with professional hostage negotiator, Daniel Trent for a fast paced suspense crime thriller.

Highly skilled, Daniel Trent, the specialist works in the dangerous field of hostage negotiation...along with his fiancée, Aimee. Aimée, is also his business partner and lover, carrying their child.

When Aimee goes missing, Trent thinks he knows who is
Papalodge
Feb 10, 2015 Papalodge rated it really liked it
Having enjoyed Chris Ewans 'The Good Thief" stories I was surpirsed that this book was listed as a 'thriller'. Not only that, but the cover stated Ewan was considered to be very well recieved.

The title refers to the deadline for handing over ransom money for a kidnapped man. The deadline moves the story.

The thriller part I most welcomed was that it only took one bullet to actually shoot at and hit a person. So refreshing from the movies and TV shows where you must watch the cops and robbers fire
Tom Harper
I picked this up because I'd had a bad reading experience, and I needed a book where the author actually wanted to entertain me. It was a good choice. Chris Ewan blew away the cobwebs with a punch like a double-barrelled shotgun. In one barrel, a high concept thriller that throws in two kidnaps in the first twenty pages, a hostage negotiator who's way too involved, and a clock ticking towards disaster. In the other barrel, a slice of French-flavoured old-school noir: a flawed hero, a careless wi ...more
Brian Stoddart
Chris Ewan is one of the coming names in British crime fiction, and there are sections here that suggest why that is so. Some of the writing is excellent, with a terrific pace and atmosphere. He can create tension, and lighted it with humour to make a contrast. The scene setting is excellent, and there is a serious twist right at the end which will probably not satisfy some readers.

Perhaps not quite his best work because the plot is a little too stretched to retain believability, and because of
Debbie
Nov 17, 2014 Debbie rated it liked it
First of all, I received Dead Line as part of a Good Reads giveaway. The book arrived shortly after I was informed I was a winner, and it was a very professional "packet" with the book, a book jacket, and an insert.

This book was a good read. The main character, Daniel, and his (kidnapped) fiancee, Aimee, run a ransom/recovery operation for high net worth individuals. All is turned upside down when his fiancee is kidnapped (this has happened by the time the book picks up so it is not a spoiler).
Karen
Oct 31, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Daniel Trent is a hostage negotiator, working alongside fiancée Aimee, but he could not have expected Aimee to go missing, or his chief suspect to be kidnapped as well. All of which is setup with breathtaking speed in DEAD LINE, dragging the reader into the story from the very first page, and not letting up until the end. Every now and again I did find myself rechecking the opening pages though - the sense of pace, the tension and the sheer wild ride of DEAD LINE didn't seem like THE DEAD THIEF' ...more
Nicole Gozdek
Oct 10, 2013 Nicole Gozdek rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Zunächst einmal: "Dead Line" ist bereits 4. Thriller, den ich von Chris Ewan gelesen habe. Doch während ich die Bände um den Meisterdieb und Krimiautor Charlie, der in jedem Band in einer anderen Stadt vor spannenden Herausforderungen steht, immer gern gelesen habe, hat mich "Dead Line" leider überhaupt nicht überzeugt.

"Dead Line" ist nicht schlecht geschrieben, aber der Funke ist bei mir bei der Story und den Figuren leider nicht übergesprungen. Kurz zum Inhalt: Die Verlobte des Kidnappingspezi
Tripfiction
Where's Aimée? K & R in MARSEILLES

A tense, slow-burning thriller from master storyteller Chris Ewan, a novel that glides around Marseilles and environs, gradually unfolding with menace and foreboding.

Fluent French speaker, Daniel Trent, strategically happens to be at the scene of a staged traffic accident in which wealthy tycoon Jérôme Moreau is kidnapped. He is a K & R (Kidnap and Ransom) specialist, a hostage negotiator who, in the chaos of steaming bonnets and battered metal announces
Kasandra
Dec 26, 2014 Kasandra rated it it was ok
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway, and though it was fast-paced and intriguing, a lot of the plot didn't really hold up well in terms of believability, and the characters never led me to care about them. Ewan can write, but this book by itself doesn't indicate why some critics have given him such raves. I'd try him again, but this one fell flat for me. The semi-unresolved ending also has me wondering if it's a setup for a sequel. Not sure if I'd bother to read it or not.
Patty
Jan 25, 2016 Patty rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Honestly, this is not the type of book that I would normally choose to read. I'm simply not very interested in these types of mystery/crime novels. That was not different for this particular novel, unfortunately. The plot lacked pace and believability, and the characters felt flat and stereotypical to me. I was also quite confused by the ending of the book: the open ending makes way for a sequel, but the book is marked as a stand alone. Overall, not my type of book.
Lee
Mar 11, 2015 Lee rated it liked it
I've read all of Chris Ewan's books and I'll certainly read the next one, but unfortunately Dead Line didn't click with me. I couldn't get vested in the characters, the mystery didn't pull me in, and the book ends with an unanswered question that doesn't really matter to me. It seemed to me that the reader was expected to care way before being given a reason to care. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for the book at the time I read it but I hope the next one is better.
Ramakrishnan Sundaram
The story gets going right from page 1. Chris Evans sustains readers' interest all through with unfolding crimes & new insights in to kidnap. K & R policy & its clauses are fascinating. One only hopes the crime is not prevalent in France where the story is set. The protagonist's liaison with a similarly placed helpless victim of the heinous crime is the turning point. But it leads to an anti-climax. Well- the innumerable deaths we witness in the novel-are they required?
Kathie
Jul 12, 2015 Kathie rated it it was amazing
Excellent mystery. I love all the plot twists and not being able to figure out who was unreliable narrator was, but the ending was unanticipated! Some might think there may be a follow up because it leaves things open. Not sure if it would happen, but the book stands on its on, not too tightly wrapped up. Recommend if you like suspense mysteries. Reminds me of a movie...it would be a great action movie!
Vicki Elia
Jan 27, 2014 Vicki Elia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audiobook Review

Terrific action/thriller, although it is a very dark read. Ewan doesn't let a minute pass when either some major intrigue or action scene is unfolding. His characters are well developed, and the reader develops early bonds with them, regardless of antagonist/protagonist. The author keeps you guessing all the way -- even beyond the end.

Narrator Simon Vance carries off the story telling flawlessly.

For fans of action/crime/thrillers, read it.

4 Stars for the Genre
Susan Krich
Aug 04, 2014 Susan Krich rated it it was amazing
This is a Goodreads book and I loved it.
From the prologue on until the end it is fast paced.
After reading the prologue you just know that the quotation about the best laid plans is true.
There are several story lines to follow, all interwoven throughout the book.
The irony lasts until the very surprise ending.
I had to stay up late to finish after page 241.
MaryAnn
Sep 26, 2015 MaryAnn rated it really liked it
A thriller from beginning to end! Ewan does an outstanding job of keeping the reader on edge and wondering "What next?" A kidnapping spoils Trent's plans--and leads to an unraveling of several mysteries for all involved. Probably unbelievable in spots, but still a good read.
Baz
Apr 13, 2016 Baz rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-thriller
My first book by this author recommended by my husband who enjoyed it. Gripping plot with some clever twists & unexpected turns. Looking forward to reading more of his books.
Larry
Nov 03, 2014 Larry rated it liked it
I've enjoyed everything by this author, so it's a mixed bag when I say I enjoyed this least of all. Three pages to describe creeping through a cornfield?

Jim
Nov 22, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it
I had some trouble getting into this very British book, but in the end, found it very worth the read. the more I read, the more intrigued I became and was totally unprepared for the ending. I would be very surprised if anyone sees it coming.
Margaret
Jul 12, 2015 Margaret rated it liked it
Shelves:
I almost gave this book a four, rather than a three. The plot was very good, and the characters started out very well, and it is very well written. However, the book just seemed to fall a little flat about halfway through. Yes, you really want to know how it ends, but don't make the mistake of skipping to the end to read the last chapter. I have the tendency to do that sometimes, then I go back and read anything I've missed. Sometimes twice. However, I did not want to go back and finish after I ...more
Vicki
Cleverly plotted and exciting sometimes.
Al Stoess
Sep 16, 2014 Al Stoess rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Chris Ewan fans.
Good book. Too long. Not a happy ending.
Jo
Very involved and hard to follow
Emma
Sep 16, 2015 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got very gory towards the end, but an enjoyable, gripping read!
Cathy Hayes
May 03, 2014 Cathy Hayes rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-books
As soon as I started the story of hostage negotiator Daniel Trent and his search for his missing partner, all I could think of was a Jason Statham film, it had that typical slightly over the top storyline. Readable adventure yarn, it didn't really grab me but it whiled away the hours on a long train journey.
Kathy Crown-weber
Sep 22, 2014 Kathy Crown-weber rated it really liked it
Loved up until the end....
  • Long Way Home
  • Tre Hundes Nat
  • The Dead Beat
  • Protocol Zero (Joe Rush, #2)
  • Grave Doubts (Andrew Fenwick, #3)
  • You Know Who Killed Me (Amos Walker, #24)
  • Hoodtown
  • The Devil May Care (Mac McKenzie, #11)
  • Rumor Central
  • Out of the Black
  • The Dark Frontier
  • Toros & Torsos
  • Stone City
Born in Taunton in 1976, Chris Ewan now lives on the Isle of Man with his wife Jo and their labrador Maisie.

Chris’ debut novel, THE GOOD THIEF’S GUIDE TO AMSTERDAM, won the Long Barn Books First Novel Competition and is published in paperback by Simon and Schuster. THE GOOD THIEF’S GUIDE TO PARIS, is due to be published in the UK in February 2009 and in the US in November 2008.

More about Chris Ewan...