Start by marking “Dead Line” as Want to Read:
Dead Line

Dead Line

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  171 ratings  ·  43 reviews
And just as your plan is developing, so you're evolving, too. You're changing in ways you never would have thought possible before. But that's acceptable to you. You're prepared to do whatever it takes . . . Why? Because you're the specialist. And that's how you're going to succeed.
What do you do if your fiance goes missing, presumed taken?
If you're Daniel Trent, a highly-
Published August 5th 2014 by Minotaur Books (first published January 30th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Line, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Line

Liz Wilkins
Coming 1st August from Faber & Faber

Having loved "Safe House" I was very much looking forward to this novel from Mr Ewan and I was very excited to receive a copy from Netgalley - thank you kindly.

Daniel Trent works in the dangerous field of hostage negotiation...along with his fiancee Aimee. When Aimee goes missing herself, Trent has a good idea of who is responsible...but then his chief suspect is kidnapped and so begins a desperate search for answers. Can Trent save the kidnap victim and f
Paul
This isn't the sort of book I'd just grab off the shelf on a whim, but I got it as part of our local library's "blind date" Valentine 's program, where they wrap books in brown paper and describe them with three keywords. For "Dead Line," the three words were "France," "hostage" and "thriller," which about covers it. Overall, this is a fun read. Not perfect, by any stretch, but it's a fun turn-off-your-brain book. There are some writing tics that get old, and some odd lapses out of the third-per ...more
Mary Mack
Daniel Trent is a professional negotiator who along with his business partner and fiancee, Amiee Paget, sells kidnap and ransom insurance policies to wealthy clients. He also leads the negotiations with the kidnapper if an abduction takes place and ransom demands are made. We meet him when he Jerome Moreau, a client, under surveillance in front of the Opera house, where he has been attending a performance by the Ballet National de Marseille. Daniel is surprised when someone kidnaps M Moreau in t ...more
Judy Collins
A special thank you to St. Martin's Press and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Chris Ewan's DEAD LINE, crosses over to the dark side, with professional hostage negotiator, Daniel Trent for a fast paced suspense crime thriller.

Highly skilled, Daniel Trent, the specialist works in the dangerous field of hostage negotiation...along with his fiancée, Aimee. Aimée, is also his business partner and lover, carrying their child.

When Aimee goes missing, Trent thinks he knows who is
Papalodge
Having enjoyed Chris Ewans 'The Good Thief" stories I was surpirsed that this book was listed as a 'thriller'. Not only that, but the cover stated Ewan was considered to be very well recieved.

The title refers to the deadline for handing over ransom money for a kidnapped man. The deadline moves the story.

The thriller part I most welcomed was that it only took one bullet to actually shoot at and hit a person. So refreshing from the movies and TV shows where you must watch the cops and robbers fire
Tom Harper
I picked this up because I'd had a bad reading experience, and I needed a book where the author actually wanted to entertain me. It was a good choice. Chris Ewan blew away the cobwebs with a punch like a double-barrelled shotgun. In one barrel, a high concept thriller that throws in two kidnaps in the first twenty pages, a hostage negotiator who's way too involved, and a clock ticking towards disaster. In the other barrel, a slice of French-flavoured old-school noir: a flawed hero, a careless wi ...more
Brian Stoddart
Chris Ewan is one of the coming names in British crime fiction, and there are sections here that suggest why that is so. Some of the writing is excellent, with a terrific pace and atmosphere. He can create tension, and lighted it with humour to make a contrast. The scene setting is excellent, and there is a serious twist right at the end which will probably not satisfy some readers.

Perhaps not quite his best work because the plot is a little too stretched to retain believability, and because of
Debbie
First of all, I received Dead Line as part of a Good Reads giveaway. The book arrived shortly after I was informed I was a winner, and it was a very professional "packet" with the book, a book jacket, and an insert.

This book was a good read. The main character, Daniel, and his (kidnapped) fiancee, Aimee, run a ransom/recovery operation for high net worth individuals. All is turned upside down when his fiancee is kidnapped (this has happened by the time the book picks up so it is not a spoiler).
Karen
Daniel Trent is a hostage negotiator, working alongside fiancée Aimee, but he could not have expected Aimee to go missing, or his chief suspect to be kidnapped as well. All of which is setup with breathtaking speed in DEAD LINE, dragging the reader into the story from the very first page, and not letting up until the end. Every now and again I did find myself rechecking the opening pages though - the sense of pace, the tension and the sheer wild ride of DEAD LINE didn't seem like THE DEAD THIEF' ...more
Nicole Gozdek
Zunächst einmal: "Dead Line" ist bereits 4. Thriller, den ich von Chris Ewan gelesen habe. Doch während ich die Bände um den Meisterdieb und Krimiautor Charlie, der in jedem Band in einer anderen Stadt vor spannenden Herausforderungen steht, immer gern gelesen habe, hat mich "Dead Line" leider überhaupt nicht überzeugt.

"Dead Line" ist nicht schlecht geschrieben, aber der Funke ist bei mir bei der Story und den Figuren leider nicht übergesprungen. Kurz zum Inhalt: Die Verlobte des Kidnappingspezi
Tripfiction
Where's Aimée? K & R in MARSEILLES

A tense, slow-burning thriller from master storyteller Chris Ewan, a novel that glides around Marseilles and environs, gradually unfolding with menace and foreboding.

Fluent French speaker, Daniel Trent, strategically happens to be at the scene of a staged traffic accident in which wealthy tycoon Jérôme Moreau is kidnapped. He is a K & R (Kidnap and Ransom) specialist, a hostage negotiator who, in the chaos of steaming bonnets and battered metal announces
Kasandra
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway, and though it was fast-paced and intriguing, a lot of the plot didn't really hold up well in terms of believability, and the characters never led me to care about them. Ewan can write, but this book by itself doesn't indicate why some critics have given him such raves. I'd try him again, but this one fell flat for me. The semi-unresolved ending also has me wondering if it's a setup for a sequel. Not sure if I'd bother to read it or not.
Lee
I've read all of Chris Ewan's books and I'll certainly read the next one, but unfortunately Dead Line didn't click with me. I couldn't get vested in the characters, the mystery didn't pull me in, and the book ends with an unanswered question that doesn't really matter to me. It seemed to me that the reader was expected to care way before being given a reason to care. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for the book at the time I read it but I hope the next one is better.
Ramakrishnan Sundaram
The story gets going right from page 1. Chris Evans sustains readers' interest all through with unfolding crimes & new insights in to kidnap. K & R policy & its clauses are fascinating. One only hopes the crime is not prevalent in France where the story is set. The protagonist's liaison with a similarly placed helpless victim of the heinous crime is the turning point. But it leads to an anti-climax. Well- the innumerable deaths we witness in the novel-are they required?
Kathie
Excellent mystery. I love all the plot twists and not being able to figure out who was unreliable narrator was, but the ending was unanticipated! Some might think there may be a follow up because it leaves things open. Not sure if it would happen, but the book stands on its on, not too tightly wrapped up. Recommend if you like suspense mysteries. Reminds me of a movie...it would be a great action movie!
Vicki Elia
Audiobook Review

Terrific action/thriller, although it is a very dark read. Ewan doesn't let a minute pass when either some major intrigue or action scene is unfolding. His characters are well developed, and the reader develops early bonds with them, regardless of antagonist/protagonist. The author keeps you guessing all the way -- even beyond the end.

Narrator Simon Vance carries off the story telling flawlessly.

For fans of action/crime/thrillers, read it.

4 Stars for the Genre
Yatish
Chris Ewan spins a web of magic around the reader slowly unveiling the story, keeping you on tenterhooks. Unlike other thrillers where the good guys and bad guys are identified from the start and its a race to the end. Dead Line unfolds slowly with multiple threads advancing the story forward and takes you along Daniel Trent's journey to find his wife. You can feel his pain, anguish and the constant dread if the two will ever be reunited. Ultimately Chris Ewan's brings all the threads together f ...more
Susan Krich
This is a Goodreads book and I loved it.
From the prologue on until the end it is fast paced.
After reading the prologue you just know that the quotation about the best laid plans is true.
There are several story lines to follow, all interwoven throughout the book.
The irony lasts until the very surprise ending.
I had to stay up late to finish after page 241.
Larry
I've enjoyed everything by this author, so it's a mixed bag when I say I enjoyed this least of all. Three pages to describe creeping through a cornfield?

Jim
I had some trouble getting into this very British book, but in the end, found it very worth the read. the more I read, the more intrigued I became and was totally unprepared for the ending. I would be very surprised if anyone sees it coming.
Margaret
I almost gave this book a four, rather than a three. The plot was very good, and the characters started out very well, and it is very well written. However, the book just seemed to fall a little flat about halfway through. Yes, you really want to know how it ends, but don't make the mistake of skipping to the end to read the last chapter. I have the tendency to do that sometimes, then I go back and read anything I've missed. Sometimes twice. However, I did not want to go back and finish after I ...more
Al Stoess
Sep 16, 2014 Al Stoess rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Chris Ewan fans.
Good book. Too long. Not a happy ending.
Cathy Hayes
As soon as I started the story of hostage negotiator Daniel Trent and his search for his missing partner, all I could think of was a Jason Statham film, it had that typical slightly over the top storyline. Readable adventure yarn, it didn't really grab me but it whiled away the hours on a long train journey.
Kathy Crown-weber
Loved up until the end....
Martin Waight
This was a really good read. Better even than the previous Safe House. For anyone who knows the corner of France this is set in they will be transported back to the area. If they don't know they will quickly feel as if they do. Easily became involved and engrossed with the characters. Happy to recommend this book to other readers. I was fortunate to be provided with a review copy from NetGalley and asked to give an impartial review.
Kim
Horrible ending.
M
This is Chris Ewan's second stand-alone thriller, and it's even more complex, suspenseful, and satisfying as his first (Safe House). Read it and marvel at how Ewan weaves and twists the plot lines, masking characters' identities and motives. And see again how, in this author's world, there are no happy endings.
  • Tre Hundes Nat
  • The Sacrificial Man
  • Long Way Home
  • Six and a Half Deadly Sins
  • Good Day in Hell
  • Fallen Idols (DC Laura McGanity, #1)
  • Bad Wolf
  • A Simple Act Of Violence
  • Out of the Black
  • The Missing and the Dead (Logan McRae, #9)
  • Invasion of Privacy
  • Switch
  • Grave Doubts (Andrew Fenwick, #3)
  • Black Rabbit Hall
Born in Taunton in 1976, Chris Ewan now lives on the Isle of Man with his wife Jo and their labrador Maisie.

Chris’ debut novel, THE GOOD THIEF’S GUIDE TO AMSTERDAM, won the Long Barn Books First Novel Competition and is published in paperback by Simon and Schuster. THE GOOD THIEF’S GUIDE TO PARIS, is due to be published in the UK in February 2009 and in the US in November 2008.

More about Chris Ewan...
Safe House The Good Thief's Guide to Amsterdam (Good Thief's Guide, #1) The Good Thief's Guide to Paris (Good Thief's Guide, #2) The Good Thief's Guide to Venice (Good Thief's Guide, #4) The Good Thief's Guide to Vegas (Good Thief's Guide, #3)