Start by marking “Beware Beware (Juniper Song, #2)” as Want to Read:
Beware Beware (Juniper Song, #2)

Beware Beware (Juniper Song #2)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Juniper Song—an unforgettable new crime heroine hailed as “young, sharp, and worldly-wise” by New York Times bestselling author Meg Gardiner—returns in this smart, fast-paced follow-up to Steph Cha’s critically acclaimed debut Follow Her Home.

Working as an apprentice at a P.I. firm, Juniper Song finds herself nose deep in a Hollywood murder scandal where the lies may be mo
Published August 12th 2014 by Minotaur Books (first published May 20th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Beware Beware, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beware Beware

Steph
Aug 12, 2014 Steph rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
IT'S ALIVE.
Britni Patterson
I was lucky enough to win an ARC copy of this book in a twitter giveaway, though it took me a little while to get around to it.

I really enjoyed the protagonist Juniper Song. Her personality is full and complex, revealed in the various relationships she has with her family, friends, and strangers who seem to cross categories, and the Korean culture is well-represented without being heavy-handed. I loved the Marlowe references, and while the opening scene made me go "Bleach!" (because I have a per
Jen
Jul 26, 2014 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
Beware, Beware by Steph Cha follows Juniper Song (the second Korean/American female detective/PI I've read about recently) through the mean streets of LA, paying homage to Philip Marlowe. (Now, I want to read more Raymond Chandler or watch films like the Big Sleep to get back into that 1940's noir.)

I'm digressing, but really-- Humphrey Bogart as Marlowe and Lauren Bacall in a Howard Hawks film with screenplay by William Faulkner, et al! Why wouldn't I want to watch that again?

OK - back to Beware
Ray Palen
With the release of FOLLOW HER HOME last year the mystery world welcomed a refreshing and unique new voice. Steph Cha, a graduate of Stanford University and Yale Law School, created one of the most interesting protagonists in the mystery genre today in Juniper Song.

Song, as she goes by, is a twenty-seven-year-old Korean woman who grew up on Phillip Marlowe and Raymond Chandler novels. She fulfilled a lifelong dream of following in their footsteps by working as an 'intern' in a local L.A. Private
Christine
I should begin this review by saying that I was lucky enough to receive a copy of this book from the author through the Goodreads FirstReads Giveaway Program.

Trying to put her past behind her, apprentice PI Juniper Song is excited for her first case: Daphne Freamon, a concerned New York City artist hires her keep an eye on her long-distance boyfriend, Jamie Landon, a screenwriter in Los Angeles. After two weeks of unremarkable surveillance, Juniper is shocked when Jamie becomes the prime suspec
Maria
Song, a scrappy errand girl, training to be a PI has another boring case, follow the ghost-writer boyfriend of her new client Daphne. It will seem a little bit tedious to follow Jamie all over the city, but if the client pays, Song will not refuse an easy job!
Of course the problems will start soon, with Jamie's boss dead, and himself being the first suspect. Song will have to solve her first murder case and discover the truth beneath all the lies she is immersed.
With a lot of famous PI reference
Jim
Nov 29, 2014 Jim rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
Steph Cha is many things: lawyer, lover of Basset hounds, author of more than 2,000 Yelp reviews and the creator of the Juniper Song series of detective novels.

Much like her fictional forebear, Philip Marlowe, Song drinks heavily, smokes like a chimney and calls Los Angeles home. Unlike Raymond Chandler’s famous private investigator, Song is young, female and Korean-American. In other words, she’s not like Marlowe at all.

In Beware Beware, the second installment in the mystery series, Song is hi
David
This book represents an impossible confluence of my interests: A (1) crime noir thriller that is (2) set in Los Angeles, (3) written by a Korean American, and (4) features a Korean American protagonist! It is quite remarkable and heart warming that such a novel can be published as intended for the general audience and not marketed as a “niche” or “cultural studies” type book – no less that it is the SECOND such book published by Steph Cha in the Juniper Song series. I haven’t read her first nove ...more
Donna
Book review Beware Beware by Steph Cha
Steph Cha’s new thriller, Beware Beware, starts out like a sassy beach read and ends with muscle and authority. It’s gritty, urban,edgy, and ultimately deals with a burning real life issue in a way that is not preachy, but instead is integral to the plot. Her character development and pacing are handled as expertly as a champion driver at the Indy 500. Buckle up and be ready!
Daphne Freamon, a renowned painter, contacts PI Juniper Song, the first Korean-Ameri
Elizabeth Jones
Steph Cha's new book features a scrappy heroine in training to be a private detective. All the noir boxes are ticked off here - the seductive client, the psychopathic killer, the moral ambiguity. Not merely a suspenseful and entertaining read, this work is a cut above the usual mystery. The glamour and grit of L.A. are evoked with a not accidental eye to Raymond Chandler.
Cindy
really enjoyed this sophomore novel by
steph cha. i was lucky enough to meet her
at a local mysterious galaxy signing, and she
let me know that i did NOT need to read her debut
to follow what was going on in this second novel.
and she was right.

i appreciated the realness and rawness of
juniper, cha's heroine. the los angles setting
felt perfect and authentic, a character in itself,
and cha was able to include a diverse cast (many
whom are leads in the book) while at the same time
discussing tough to tackl
Mary Peterson
What if Hello Kitty was a Los Angeles PI? She would be Beware Beware's Raymond Chandler channeling, Lucky Strike smoking, rye whiskey drinking junior PI, Juniper Song. I mean that as a huge compliment. A crazy original and readable murder mystery. Stephen Cha, if you keep writing them, I'll keep reading.
David Marshall
This is OK as a PI mystery but it's almost a complete failure when it comes to dealing with the racism and sexism faced by women in America.

Stephen
An impressive sequel to Follow her Home! I'd "follow" this book with a third Juniper Song novel HAHA. Let us hope!
Llyr
This second novel in the series is so much better than the first! I look forward to the third one!
MariNaomi
Gripping, entertaining, and un-put-downable. This book makes me want to read more mystery novels.
Sduff222
A great new installment in the Juniper Song franchise! I hope there will be many more. The characters are so well-formed, I feel like I know them (and I feel weirdly protective of Lori). This is a great read for anyone who enjoys plot-heavy books with good writing and 3 dimensional characters. With all the talk of Korean food, though, I wish this book came with recipes.
Michelle
Michelle is currently reading it
Dec 27, 2014
Derek Haas
Derek Haas is currently reading it
Dec 25, 2014
Jillian
Jillian marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Whitney Li
Whitney Li marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Jae Hong
Jae Hong marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Patrick Dunlop
Patrick Dunlop marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Sue1958
Sue1958 marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
  • Murder on Bamboo Lane
  • Fatal Enquiry (Barker & Llewelyn, #6)
  • Cradle to Grave (Will Rees, #3)
  • Shards: A Young Vice Cop Investigates Her Darkest Case of Meth Addiction—Her Own
  • Doing It at the Dixie Dew: A Mystery (Dixie Dew Mystery, #1)
  • The Witch Hunter's Tale (Midwife Mysteries, #3)
  • The Devil's Detective: A Novel
  • Enemies at Home (Flavia Albia Mystery, #2)
  • Southland
  • Black Current
  • Jane and the Twelve Days of Christmas
  • A Barricade In Hell (Delia Martin, #2)
  • The Bone Orchard (Mike Bowditch, #5)
  • Summer of the Dead (Bell Elkins, #3)
  • Blade of the Samurai (Shinobi Mystery, #2)
  • Dead Line: A Thriller
  • From the Charred Remains (Lucy Campion Mysteries, #2)
  • Sorrow Bound (Aector McAvoy, #3)
Follow Her Home (Juniper Song, #1) Dead Soon Enough: A Juniper Song Mystery (Juniper Song, #3)