Start by marking “Back in the Fight: The Explosive Memoir of a Special Operator Who Never Gave Up” as Want to Read:
Back in the Fight: The Explosive Memoir of a Special Operator Who Never Gave Up
Preview

Back in the Fight: The Explosive Memoir of a Special Operator Who Never Gave Up

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  29 reviews
On October 3, 2005, Sergeant Joseph Kapacziewski and his soldiers in a Stryker vehicle were coming to the end of their tour in Northern Iraq when their convoy was attacked by enemy fighters. A grenade fell through the gunner’s hatch and exploded, shattering Kapacziewski’s right leg below the knee, damaging his right hip, and severing a nerve and artery in his right arm.

He
Published May 27th 2014 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published May 7th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Back in the Fight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Back in the Fight

Cheryl
Who doesn't love a good hero story. I know I do. What makes the hero even better is that he is a real person and not a fictional character in a book or movie. Plus, this hero is helping to fight for our country and freedom! This hero's name is Sergeant First Class Joseph Kapacziewski. He not only has dedicated his life to his country but he has lost a leg for it. Anytime that you think you have it bad or are feeling bad, you just need to think of the men and women fighting like Sergeant First Cl ...more
Branden
SFC Kap isn't the greatest author to pen a modern memoir of war (off the top of my head, David Bellavia and Sean Parnell are better "writers") but his story is damn inspiring. It's an absolutely incredible tale of one man's struggle through adversity.

As a former Batt Boy myself, a lot of the stuff in this book hit home. I used to know several people he mentions in this book, one of which I discovered (in this book) passed away in 2010.

As an aside, as of Spring 2013 SFC Kap is stil doing his thi
George
I finished reading this incredible story, of not only one, but of many American Heroes! I am thankful for not only the opportunity but the honor of reading this Hero's story. I had to put the book down several times, due to the emotional state it put me in.
I feel every American should read this book! Certainly every soldier, that comes back wounded.
I hope I will have the honor to meet & shake the hand of this man, the soldier, this true American Hero, who had what it took, to get Back in t
Theresa Smith
Incredible. An honest, engaging account of a young man's life in the Special Forces. I am not usually inclined to read a book about war, but I am so glad I have read this one. Kap, and his wife Kim, tell their story in an absorbing and heartfelt way that has you championing for Kap even though your heart is breaking for Kim. This young man is truly a hero of the finest order and entirely deserving of any accolade he receives as such. In addition to the personal aspects of this book, his account ...more
Cjmueller
Worth the read! Very inspiring!
Chris Green
If ever I think I'm having a bad day, or I'm up against life's many hurdles. I think about the trials and tribulations by this warrior and the hard work and determination he's had to return to the battlefield as a special operations warrior. After loosing a leg, he fought to prove himself and has since deployed multiple times and trained special operators. Amazing book about his journey and the perspective from those around him as well.
Nicholas Robillard
Awesome non stop page turner, it will raise your heart rate. I had the privilege of meeting and spending a significant amount of time with Joe Kap. This book is great but even though written by him does no justice to the caliber of man/American he is. He beat me in an eating contest. This book saved me from having a rat thrown on me in a porter john, I'll keep it forever.
Eric
Joe Kap is the epitomy of a true American hero. Most notable for me was the will and drive he exihibited to rejoin the Rangers after such adversity. This is definetly a trait I would want to instill in my children, the fact that you can do anything when you put your heart and soul into a task. I liked the narratives from his wife which added another dimension to the book.
Homer
It was a good book, but I wish it focused more on his recovery. The first half to two-thirds was like any other Ranger or Special Forces bio. The story is still a good one, but it just took a while to get to the real meat of the book. I'd love to meet him! Sounds like an amazing person!
Twells
Gives a very personal view of the GWOT from the point of view of a SOF door-kicker. Some of his views are not what some would consider "politically correct", but given all he has (and continues to) sacrificed for our country he has earned the right to be as "insensitive" as he'd like.
Christine Mize
This is one of the most inspirational stories that I have ever read. What an amazing person - if he ever felt sorry for himself because of the injury, he never mentions it in the book. I love that you also get the perspective of his wife in his recovery.
Holli
I wanted to read this book since I first saw it and seeing someone who lost a leg actually was able to return to combat. I wanted to find out what happened to him and how he was able to accomplish this. The book is fascinating, though it does take quite a bit of the book to learn how he became so wounded and got back to the war. His attitude regarding women in the military, however, is rather outdated and insulting. I couldn't give this book a 5-star rating because this quite irritated me. Attit ...more
James
What an excellent book! VERY well written and amazing to read the painful, but determined journey of this wonderful example of a US Ranger/American Soldier! Just wish I could meet him to say "Thank you!"
Highly recommended!
Kim
This was a good book. The one thing I didn't really like about it was there seemed to be a lot more military jargon than what seemed necessary for the average layperson. Other than that though a great read
Barry
Excellent book on overcoming obstacles life throws at you.
P.e.
This book is about a true warrior. Who did ten tours and made it back into the Rangers with an artificial leg. For me I would have been good with that and stayed home with my family. But he chose to make it back to active duty and back with his unit. I did like that they included his wife thought's through out the book. I am also glad that he stayed home to be a husband and father. He is a true Hero and I thank him for his service. A good book with a story and straight forward.
William Clemence
A good book for the subject matter. Although my service in the regular army was in the sixties, most of the slang and esoteric words reminded me of the experience.
This book shows the unique qualities of the individuals that are needed in the military of today and why the military wants only committed volunteers. Ironically, because there is no draft our population has little skin in the game. Therefore, no general pressure to end the wars.
Carol
A very inspiring story of one of our American Heroes! An Army Ranger injured on his fifth deployment. Ends up having his leg amputated, and has since been deployed FIVE more times! And kudos to his wife for standing by his side the whole time!

I do have to admit though that there were moments this book gave me great anxiety. Being a mom of a US Army Infantry soldier it gave me anxiety thinking this could happen to my son.

Darcy
I really liked this one, I liked that Joe didn't give up. I think that if someone still wants to do a dangerous job (most of us don't want) and they can still perform to standards why not let them. Joe gives hope to those that still want to do their job. I also really liked his wife's perspective with what was happening.
Dawn
Sep 28, 2013 Dawn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys military books.
Recommended to Dawn by: My Mom.
A fascinating read. Sgt. Kap is in the same Ranger batallion (75th) that my brother was in. Learned some interesting facts about the Army, Airborne Rangers, The War on Terror & Iraq. Kap's dedication to the Army and his perseverance to overcome his amputation & return to his Ranger batallion, was very inspiring.
Forrest Wenzel
A truly inspiring story of an American badass who shows you can achieve anything that you set your mind to and work hard to achieve! Kap can and has done more with one man made leg then most mortal men achieve with the two god gave them. Good on you Kap you are a true American!
Mary Reed
I really enjoyed this book. My son was/is an Airborne Ranger. He served for 20 years in the Army. I knew some of the things Kap mentions in the book, but a lot of it was new to me. Kap is a brave man and a wonderful Ranger.
Jeffrey
If you want to be challenged, read this book. If you don't get up and work harder at every aspect of your life... Your wrong.
Mark Perkins
Great book. This young man is a real hero. His dedication to the Rangers, and this country is a real testament to his courage.
Nikos
great book, hard to feel sorry for yourself after reading it.
Clint
I was inspired to "carry more than my fair share!"
Frank
An amazing story of heart and determination
Christy
A childhood friend of mine recommended that I read a book about her nephew.I am part of a Veteran's Writing Group at the library where I work, and she thought the guys might want to read "Back in the Fight." I am very glad she recommended Joe Kap's story. (although I do know how to say Kapacziewsk properly!)His determination to become an Army Ranger never wavered and after suffering terrible injuries, he continued his determination to heal and to return to combat. "Almost a year and half after h ...more
Jb3
Jb3 marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
  • War from the Ground Up: Twenty-First Century Combat as Politics. Emile Simpson
  • Gentlemen Bastards: On the Ground in Afghanistan with America's Elite Special Forces
  • The Savior Generals: How Five Great Commanders Saved Wars That Were Lost - From Ancient Greece to Iraq
  • Hell Above Earth: The Incredible True Story of an American WWII Bomber Commander and the Copilot Ordered to Kill Him
  • Revolt in the Desert
  • The American Heritage Picture History of the Civil War
  • Shifty's War: The Authorized Biography of Sergeant Darrell "Shifty" Powers, the Legendary Sharpshooter from the Band of Brothers
  • The Operators: The Wild and Terrifying Inside Story of America's War in Afghanistan
  • Rommel: The Desert Fox
  • General George Washington: A Military Life
  • Wieże z kamienia
  • The Bear Went Over the Mountain: Soviet Combat Tactics in Afghanistan
  • Killing Custer: The Battle of Little Big Horn and the Fate of the Plains Indians
  • Abraham Lincoln: A Presidential Life
  • Horse Soldiers: The Extraordinary Story of a Band of US Soldiers Who Rode to Victory in Afghanistan
  • Great Speeches
  • Arisen : Genesis
  • Defiant: The POWs Who Endured Vietnam's Most Infamous Prison, the Women Who Fought for Them, and the One Who Never Returned