Start by marking “The Good Thief's Guide to Berlin” as Want to Read:
The Good Thief's Guide to Berlin

The Good Thief's Guide to Berlin (Good Thief's Guide #5)

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  250 ratings  ·  59 reviews
You can't keep a good thief down . . . Charlie Howard is back and robbing the city of Berlin blind, until hewitnesses a murder being committed right before his eyes

Charlie Howard, part-time writer, part-time thief,has been engaged in a veritable spree of larceny and misappropriation since moving to Berlin, Germany. He's supposed to beworking on his next novel.But high rent
Published July 8th 2014 by Minotaur Books (first published August 6th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Good Thief's Guide to Berlin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Thief's Guide to Berlin

Nikki Dudley

Just finished a great read! I have to say, I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the Good Thief series! What struck me first was the chemistry between the characters, particularly Charlie and Victoria. Charlie Howard, the thief cum writer, is witty and likeable, drawing similarities with other hardboiled detectives that we all love (Sam Spade, Philip Marlowe, Kemel Kayankaya etc). Victoria is also a believable ally who challenges Charlie and displays an unusual ruthless streak due to the fa
Martin Mulcahey
Written in a fun voice (rounded up, think 3 1/2 stars is better rating), with laughs and a quality plot that has an unique and kind of a moral dilemma ending! I am not the type of person who reads mystery books to find out who did it before the author plainly tells me, I want to be entertained by the writing and location (preferably Europe) which this book did on both counts. Berlin is a big part of the book but does not outshine the main character, who has an anti-hero feel and pokes fun at him ...more
Natalie Williams
This is not the first in the series, but it's the first I borrowed from the library and I really enjoyed it . . . cliff-hanger and all. Don't worry!No spoilers here! Ewan's Charlie Howard is a unique character that I won't mind seeing evolve, so I'm planning on back-reading and then looking out for what's hanging on the other side of that cliff . . .

If you enjoy quirky, intelligent characters and intricate, imaginative plotting and settings alike . . . I think you'll get a kick of this tale and
Linda Bridges
Book five in the good thief series is every bit as good as the previous four. Charlie Harris is a mystery writer and thief for hire. He is a very good thief because he only works for discreet patrons and follows certain rules: always knock before entering, make sure no one is home, work quickly, don't leave a sign that he's been there, and above all, don't get caught. Over the years his sideline has brought him a rich income; however, his reputation forces him to move on to avoid trouble. Accom ...more
Carol
This is my first meeting Charlie Howard, the writer/thief who stars in The Good Thief's Guide to Berlin. This is the 5th in the series and while I felt like it stood alone well, I may a understood the characters a little better had I started at the beginning. Charlie is smart and sarcastic and I love how Simon Vance read the book. It's no surprise, really, that he seems to capture Charlie perfectly.

If you read the blurb, you know Charlie's in Berlin and has got himself involved in a bit of a mes
Thom
I've read all of the books in this series and find them to be entertaining, light and well-plotted diversions. The humor, while occasionally a bit too corny for my taste, is fun nonetheless as are the various characters sprinkled throughout these books. I also love the shifting locations from book to book. Having been in many of the cities featured in these novels, it's obvious Mr. Evan takes great pains in painting accurate portraits of his locations. Not only are they nice reminders of places ...more
M
Another fine suspense novel in The Good Thief series. In Berlin, Charlie Howard gets involved in a hunt for "something" stolen from the British Ambassador, a something also coveted by the Russians, French, and American intelligence officers. Lots of chases, beatings, even a murder. Charlie also comes to terms with his feelings for his agent, Victoria. Will this be the final book in the series? I hope not!
Teresa Osgood
Why are bad guys so intriguing? Here is a bad guy working for what may be a good cause, getting mixed up with people with possibly good motives, and definitely worse tactics. The action is exciting, the soul-searching is impressive, if inconclusive, and the relationships are really quite curious. Interesting read, though I doubt I'll go back to read the previous volumes.
Lynn Lerch
Meet Charlie Howard. Chrlie is a part-time author and a part-time thief who has moved to Berlin. Charlie is hired by the British Embassy to to break and enter four of the embassy employees when something is stolen from the embassy. At the first home he goes to he witnesses a murder in the building across the street. This leads him into more adventures since the sight bothers him so much. A fast paced and fun book. I am going to read the previous mysteries in the series.
Anne
Book 5 in Chris Ewan's 'Good Thief's Guide' series finds cat burglar Charlie Howard taking a mysterious assignment for the British Embassy in Berlin. He is asked to break into 4 apartments to find an important item stolen from the embassy. While gazing out the window of his first break-in, he witnesses a murder in the apartment building across the street.
I have enjoyed all of the books in this 'caper' series of mysteries, especially the backdrop of each city Charlie finds himself in: Amsterdam,
Elizabeth
I hadn't realised this was part of a series, although it doesn't really matter because it isn't hard to follow.

Whilst it was an amusing little story, there wasn't much substance to it. I guessed a couple of major plot twists before they happened - not difficult at all! Doubt I'll bother with the rest of the series.
Catherine Woodman
I find the Good Thief series to be good, although I am far more conflicted about it than my spouse is. The premise is that he is a thief, and occasionally he does work for the good guys, using his cat burglar skills. Oddly enough, in this one he starts to question his professional choices. he is also an author, who has a first edition signed copy of The Maltese Falcon that he uses almost as a tallisman, but despite his good luck charm, he runs afoul of both the law and he has writer's block. The ...more
Sue
I really enjoyed this story…even though I jumped in at the end of the series, so far…I liked the combination thief (good) and struggling author. Intrigue, loads of bad guys, a thief with morals, and unrequited love. The story is witty and fast paced. My only complaint is that the ending was not what a normally like…..I will leave it at that…..and I will read more by this author.
Beth Schneider
A very enjoyable, light-hearted read. Looking forward to reading more about the main character who is a published author who happens to be a thief afterhours. A good concept that was well executed.
Patricia
This could have been really good. Turned out simple-minded with a boring protagonist. A good editor could have helped this become a big book. Was the first in the series better?

Judy
The Good Thief is hired by someone in the British Embassy in Berlin to break into 4 apartments to look for something missing from the Embassy. The catch is that he isn't told what he is looking for. I particularly enjoyed this because it was set in Berlin, and even featured my old Air Force work site on Teufelsberg as the hiding place for the code which it turns out the protagonist was sent to find. But, I enjoyed the story also, and will go back to some of the earlier books featuring him. Altho ...more
Moehee01
Certainly not the best writing and predictable, but it was a fun easy mystery which is just what I was looking for. It looks like some of the earlier books in the series might be a little better, so I will proabably try another one.
Barbara
I loved this book. It was easy to read and was greatly entertaining. The main character, Charlie, was flawed enough to be believable and the author's description of Berlin was excellent.
Nancy
I was pleasantly surprised with this book and I will probably read more in the series. A humorous, fast-paced spy-thriller. Having been to Berlin, I appreciated the realistic setting. I enjoyed the relationship between Charlie and Victoria.
Melissa Abbott
Love Chris Ewan's books! Great read!, great who dun it, and wonderful location and characters!
Debbie
First in this series I have read. It was a mostly successful combination of mystery and caper. Charlie is a mystery writer and occasional thief living currently in Berlin, which I have to say, did not seem the least bit appealing. However, Charlie's admiration for Hammett is well-placed since this novel had its own international cast of bad men after a "Maltese falcon" of Charlie's own. The caper aspect reminded me at first of Charade and then later more and more of The Maltese Falcon. Charlie i ...more
Mike Schneider
This book is part of a series, but is the first one I've read from author Chris Ewan. The main character is an author, but more significantly, a good thief. In this novel set in Berlin, the main character is hired by the British embassy to recover a stolen item. Unfortunately, they can only narrow the list of possible suspects to four, and they won't describe the item in detail, just that "you'll know it when you see it".

The tone of the novel is light-hearted and is an easy read. I enjoyed it en
Mam
I liked this one - interesting premise.
Tammy
Highly improbable and impossible but a fun read nevertheless.
Tosha Sisler
Sep 20, 2014 Tosha Sisler marked it as to-read
Shelves: fiction, browsing
To Read Desire High
Ann
Cute concept - mystery writer finances his not-so-lucrative writing career as a burglar. In the middle of a heist, he looks out the window and sees a murder being committed in the facing apartment (shades of 'Rear Window!'). From there, the book veers off into spies and traitors and a vast collection of dangerous characters. It doesn't circle back around to the original murder until the end of the book. Entertaining, but I'm not sure I'll read more in this series.
Natalie
I love this series! The character development is great, the books are well-written, and the mysteries are thoroughly planned and leave you surprised. This book didn't disappoint. I liked the development of Charlie and Victoria's relationship/friendship. There were parts of the book where I laughed out loud (scenes with Buster). I'm disappointed it ended with a cliff hanger, mainly because I don't want to wait for the next one!
Shelly
I've read all of the "Good Thief" series and I think perhaps the novelty is wearing off. Charlie Howard is something of an endearing character but occasionally a little dim, and it's his dimness that drives much of the plot. And the ending is weird... I can't tell if Ewan left it ambiguous so he could put The Good Thief on hiatus while he writes other things, and at some point he'll decide whether to come back to it.
Shannon
Ewan's stories get better with each installment - this one isn't as convoluted despite having four (or is it five or six) different countries involved in a spy type plot. Throw in some oddball homeless listeners, codes/decoding, a talking bird and rear window type death and it's an involving, fast moving story. Leaves it wide open at the end for Charlie and Victoria's relationship or non-relationship...we'll see.
  • Gone with the Woof (Melanie Travis, #16)
  • Deadly Virtues
  • Shotgun Lullaby
  • The Last Kind Word (Mac McKenzie, #10)
  • The Paris Directive
  • Sidney Chambers and the Perils of the Night
  • Lethal Treasure (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #8)
  • The Last Girl (Maeve Kerrigan, #3)
  • Random Violence (Jade de Jong, #1)
  • Original Skin (Aector McAvoy, #2)
  • Hen of the Baskervilles (Meg Langslow, #15)
  • The Brothers of Baker Street: A Mystery
  • Topped Chef   (Key West Food Critic Mystery #3)
  • A Small Death in the Great Glen
  • Mad Mouse (John Ceepak Mystery, #2)
  • Love Story, With Murders (Fiona Griffiths, #2)
  • Dead Water (Shetland, #5)
  • A Decent Interval (Charles Paris, #18)
Born in Taunton in 1976, Chris Ewan now lives on the Isle of Man with his wife Jo and their labrador Maisie.

Chris’ debut novel, THE GOOD THIEF’S GUIDE TO AMSTERDAM, won the Long Barn Books First Novel Competition and is published in paperback by Simon and Schuster. THE GOOD THIEF’S GUIDE TO PARIS, is due to be published in the UK in February 2009 and in the US in November 2008.

More about Chris Ewan...
Safe House The Good Thief's Guide to Amsterdam (Good Thief's Guide, #1) The Good Thief's Guide to Paris (Good Thief's Guide, #2) The Good Thief's Guide to Venice (Good Thief's Guide, #4) The Good Thief's Guide to Vegas (Good Thief's Guide, #3)