Start by marking “The Dead Will Tell (Kate Burkholder, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Dead Will Tell (Kate Burkholder, #6)

The Dead Will Tell (Kate Burkholder #6)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  4,077 ratings  ·  573 reviews
Everyone in Painters Mill knows the abandoned Hochstetler farm is haunted. But only a handful of the residents remember the terrible secrets lost in the muted/hushed whispers of time—and now death is stalking them, seemingly from the grave.

On a late-night shift, Chief of Police Kate Burkholder is called to the scene of an apparent suicide—an old man found hanging from the
Published July 8th 2014 by Minotaur Books (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Dead Will Tell, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Tanya Lamnin Presumably the killers told Wanetta that Hoch was the one to brag to his coworker (Norm), who then told the other three.
The Gods of Guilt by Michael ConnellyFear Nothing by Lisa GardnerUnlucky 13 by James PattersonThe Black Hour by Lori Rader-DayCornered Coyote by Dianne Harman
2014's Most Anticipated Mysteries and Thrillers
110th out of 297 books — 666 voters
Sworn to Silence by Linda CastilloBreaking Silence by Linda CastilloFalling to Pieces by Vannetta ChapmanPray for Silence by Linda CastilloA Plain Death by Amanda Flower
Amish Mysteries
34th out of 54 books — 43 voters

More lists with this book...

Diane S ❄
3.5 Another series that I anxiously await the next and newest installment. A good mix of mystery, personality and personal relationships, and the Amish culture.

A look at an evil done to an Amish family in the past that has a high cost for the perpetrators in the future. The long and far reaching effects of hatred and revenge. A good, solid and quick read.
Four months previously, Chief of Police Kate Burkholder had moved into the farmhouse with State Agent John Tomasetti; their love had blossomed to the stage where Kate felt able to make the commitment. Tomasetti was still tortured by his past, but was coming to terms with those demons – that was, until one of the men responsible for his torment was released from jail on a technicality, walking free.

Confused and uncertain as to how to pacify Tomasetti’s anger and grief, Kate was torn when she was
I was so fortunate to win a copy of "The Dead Will Tell" (Kate Burkholder, #6) by Linda Costillo through the Goodreads Giveaway Contest. This novel has it all; mystery, suspense, murder, serial-killer thriller. This novel grabbed my interest right from the beginning and didn't let go until I read the last word.

Fourteen year old Billy Hochstetler and his little eight year old brother, heard something in the middle of the night. Billy goes downstairs to investigate and found his dutch parents at t
Without fail Linda Castillo once again delivers a winner with "The Dead Will Tell," book 6 in the "Kate Burkholder" series; and what a stunning series this is. One of my favourites. I could write an in-depth review, but in all honesty there's nothing more I can say that I haven't already said in my reviews for the previous novels. Just that if you love reading novels full of mystery and suspense, you have to read this series. Her novels will grip you, and keep you engaged right up until the ...more
Tanya Lamnin
Police Chief Kate Burkholder is called to Dale Michaels' farm for what looks like a suicide. But evidence soon points to murder. A small Amish Peg Doll was lodged in the victim's throat. On the doll is scratched the name "Hochstetler". While Kate and her deputies investigate the murder, they find a link to a cold case that happened thirty five years ago. An Amish man and four children died in a fire. His wife was never heard from again. Meanwhile, the murderer strikes again, and Kate must race t ...more
I think this series is getting stale and predictable.
Make sure you have few empty hours to fill, because once you begin reading this tale, you won’t be able to put the book down until you have finished it. In this suspenseful mystery, Kate catches a murder case that seems to be linked to a cold case involving a home invasion of an Amish family. As Kate’s investigation develops, secrets kept for 35 years slowly come to light and the guilty are panic-stricken, not by the law but by a ghost. Kate has her own ghosts to chase away when her lover Tomase ...more
Police Chief Kate Burkholder and the Painters Mill police department have their hands full when three brutal murders occur within a short period of time. Wooden Amish dolls are found left by the serial killer with each victim, indicating a connection to the unsolved murder of an Amish family that took place over 30 years ago.

While Kate works to find the killer before more lives are lost, she must also deal with a cranky town council member who is being threatened, and her fragile relationship wi
The Kate Burkholder series just keeps getting better! A string of murders is somehow connected to a horrific thirty-five year old unsolved crime. Could the victims be seeking revenge? I loved the ghost story element in this book (although I quickly realized that ghosts don’t leave footprints). Every time I thought I had things figured out, there were twist and turns in the plot that completely surprised me.

There is unrest between Kate and Tomasetti that added some angst to the overall story, bu

3.5 stars.

This is my second Linda Castillo novel. I've also read one of her novellas. I like the MC, Kate Burkholder. As the MC, she is perfect. By that I mean she is true to character, even when things appear upside down, she is consistent in her actions. I liked the other characters as well. The author can write unique and memorable characters. I also appreciated the fact that they were able to make progress in that area and that the love interest wasn't sappy.

My dislikes with this book lies
Kathy S
I'm a big Castillo fan and have read all the books, but this one was a let-down due to sloppy storytelling and editing and poorly developed characters. Also, the storyline with Tomasetti seemed like it was thrown in just for a filler--didn't seem to fit well. There were a number of discrepancies in the storytelling that I was surprised weren't caught by an editor or more readers.

I am so very disappointed since I had loved this series. I'm so afraid that Castillo is going the way of some other w
Jean Coldwell
The Dead Will Tell is the sixth in the series of Chief Kate Burkholder thrillers by Linda Castillo. While not her strongest work, it is still held my interest until the very end.

The prologue begins with a robbery gone wrong back in 1979. An Amish man was shot, his wife taken, and his children were locked in the cellar. Only one, 14-year-old Billy Hochstetler, ran after the car carrying his mamm. When he looked back toward the house, he saw the entire structure engulfed in flames.

Thirty-five yea
Tami Carpel
I really enjoy this series and can wait for the next book to come out! I like the Kate character and her police crew and Tomasetti. I think it is very interesting that it is set in an Amish community. I love mysteries and this one does not disappoint! It keeps you guessing until the end and even when you think you know who it is, she throws in a twist! I would definitely recommend this series to anyone who loves mysteries/thrillers! It's one of my favorites!
Linda Lipko
A relatively new genre for me, this is a detective, murder mystery book. Excellently written, and a real page turner, I'm now hooked on this author.

The setting is Painter's Mill, Ohio, home to a rather large Amish population. A close knit, family community that chooses to live very simply, and is rather un inclusive and distrustful of the "Englisher" people, secrets are hid and going to local police when events occur, is not a common occurrence.

When one by one prominent people in the community a
My favorite in this series so far, lot of twists and turns. I had a hard time putting this one down. I can't wait for the next book!
I highly recommend this series.
Minimal schwächer als die Vorgänger, immer noch hervorragend!

By Linda Castillo

Here is the best thriller scoop I can give anyone who loves the literary pursuit of solving crimes. The list for fictional crime writers is currently vast and extremely crowded. When it comes to the ladies of the genre there are a few non-negotiable. In no particular order the crème de la crème is Laura Lippman, Lisa Unger, Karin Slaughter and Linda Castillo. Dark, gritty (What the hell does gritty actually mean when describing a noir) and certifiably addictiv
Linda Castillo quotes Henry Wadsworth Longfellow in her latest crime novel. "Let the dead Past bury its dead." In The Dead Will Tell, Police Chief Kate Burkholder has to deal with a thirty-five-year-old massacre. Now, someone is targeting those who knew what happened on that tragic March night in 1979. The past is reaching out to bury the living.

The Willis Hochstetler farm was the site of a horrendous family tragedy in 1979. Willis was shot to death in a robbery that went wrong, four of his five
Susan Johnson
Intruders break into the lonely Amish home of the Hochstetlers one night intent on stealing the profits of the family's successful furniture business. The night takes a horrific turn for the worse and even greater crimes than robbery occur. The lasting effects on all participants last the next 30+ years.

Kate Burkholder, Chief of Police of Painters Mill, is a former Amish and speaks the language which helps the Amish population in her community. She has moved in with a fellow policeman, John Tom
Every time I finish one of Linda Castillo's Amish thrillers I think, "oh no, it's not over already, is it?" This installment is a particularly tight with just the right amount of detail and an intricately related current case and a cold case -- both neatly resolved by our hero, Kate Burkholder. Tomasetti is back, too, so we can continue to explore his Dark Side.
The best news is that the next installment is due in only five months.
Once again Linda Castillo writes a stunner that snagged me and held on through the entire book. I wish there were more than 6 books in this series. I highly recommend this entire series.
Hab das Buch in einem Rutsch gelesen, weil es grandios gut war. Und zu 80% lag ich mit meiner Vermutung sogar richtig.

Mit Abstand der beste Band der Reihe bis jetzt!
The sixth book in the Kate Burkholder series has the police chief back in Painters Mill, Ohio, with its Amish community once again playing a role.

The book opens with a crime taking place, an attempted robbery that goes horribly wrong. An Amish farm boy, Billy Hochstetler, awakes to witness a house invasion rob him of his family, his father shot in front of him. His siblings burned alive. His mother missing.

Then we jump forward some 35 years, to an intriguing set up as one of the group follows in
Jamie Arledge
Another great book in this incredible series...

This is book 6 in the Kate Burkholder series and it's another great addition. The storyline was interesting and there was plenty of suspense and action. The mystery was great, it had me guessing until the very end. I never fully solved the mystery which is good for me. I hate when I solve mysteries too early in a book.

Although Tomasetti was in this story, he didn't play as big a role as I'd hoped. There wasn't a lot of Kate and Tomasetti together t
Today started out as a bad weather day so I sat down to read and read this entire book. I enjoyed this authors books before this series but I really love this series.
It was a fast paced, suspenseful thriller that kept me guessing. I had different scenarios in my head about who did what and trying to figure out connections and relevance, some of mine were right, others not so much.
The sheer tragedy of it all didn't escape me. The senseless actions of four teenagers one night escalated into some
Tina Hayes
In Linda Castillo's "The Dead Will Tell", Police Chief Kate Burkholder reopens an old case when people start turning up dead, and the only clues point straight at a ghost. Thirty-five years before, a group of teenagers tried to rob an Amish family, but things went horribly wrong, wrong enough to leave the Amish father and his four kids dead, the wife/mother missing. Now those responsible are being held brutally accountable.

This mystery kept me turning the pages, trying to solve the case along w
Jim Angstadt
This is Kate Burkholder #6, my fifth.

True to form, this is a detective yarn, with the expected brief view of Amish life, a harried and sleep-deprived Chief of Police (Kate), and a love interest one step above boring.

This one has an added attraction: pulling a rabbit out of a hat to help solve the main puzzle.

Character development was lacking. At least it was a very fast read.
Great additional to a great series. Linda Castillo continues to keep you on the edge of your seat in this dark and suspenseful novel about murder in Painters Mill, Ohio. Kathleen McInerney's narration is not to be missed. It is no wonder this up for an Audie Award for the mystery category
Shelly Spiller
I stayed up late last night to finish this book. There was no way I could sleep not knowing how it ended. The ending has a twist that you will never suspect. Great book
Discrepancy in THE DEAD WILL TELL 4 60 Oct 05, 2014 04:20PM
  • The Bone Orchard (Mike Bowditch, #5)
  • Through the Evil Days (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #8)
  • A Plain Death (Appleseed Creek, #1)
  • Endangered (Joe Pickett, #15)
  • Danger in Plain Sight (Amish Suspense, #3)
  • Blood of the Prodigal (Ohio Amish Mystery, #1)
  • Absolute Certainty (Marty Nickerson, #1)
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
  • By Stone, by Blade, by Fire
  • An Evil Mind (Robert Hunter, #6)
  • The Night Searchers
  • The Search (The Secrets of Crittenden County #2)
  • The Competition (Rachel Knight, #4)
  • Edge of Black (Dr. Samantha Owens #2)
  • Tamarack County (Cork O'Connor, #13)
  • The Cold Nowhere (Jonathan Stride, #6)
  • Stranger in the Room (Keye Street #2)
  • The Outcast Dead (Ruth Galloway #6)
Linda Castillo is the New York Times bestselling author of the Kate Burkholder series, including Sworn to Silence and Gone Missing, crime thrillers set in Amish country. Sworn to Silence was recently adapted into a Lifetime original movie titled An Amish Murder starring Neve Campbell as Kate Burkholder.

Castillo is the recipient of numerous industry awards, including the Daphne du Maurier Award of
More about Linda Castillo...

Kate Burkholder (8 books)
  • Sworn to Silence (Kate Burkholder, #1)
  • Pray for Silence (Kate Burkholder, #2)
  • Breaking Silence (Kate Burkholder, #3)
  • Gone Missing (Kate Burkholder, #4)
  • Her Last Breath (Kate Burkholder, #5)
  • After the Storm (Kate Burkholder #7)
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)