Start by marking “Last to Know: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Last to Know: A Novel

Last to Know: A Novel

3.1 of 5 stars 3.10  ·  rating details  ·  595 ratings  ·  112 reviews
Evening Lake: an idyllic, peaceful, western Massachusetts getaway with a close-knit community of families. Detective Harry Jordan sees his lake home as a respite from solving crimes on the streets of Boston...until crime comes to Evening Lake. Harry Jordan is out for a walk when the night is rocked by an explosion: the Havnel house is engulfed in a conflagration and Bea Ha ...more
Published July 22nd 2014 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Last to Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last to Know

Help; I need to read a good book. This is the third in a row that I could barely force myself to finish. I feel like I wasted hours of my life with this predictable and unbelievable plot, poor writing, sterotypical characters, errors in facts (such as how could Harry see the face of a girl at 3:00 in the morning from across the lake). I won't go on anymore other than to say, don't waste your time on this one.
Jen Wells
This was my first book by this author and will probably be my last. I had trouble getting into it and it never did interest me. I finally gave up and skipped to the end. I thought maybe I was just in a reading funk but picked up a Jennifer McMahon book right after and read it in one sitting.
I have always enjoyed Adler's books in the past so this was one came as a disappointment. "Last To Know" was definitely a divergent style from her previous books that I have read. In the beginning she achieved suspense, but the plot became too predictable too early in the book. This was a fast read since the chapters were so short, but not enough story line was developed to really make me feel connected. Hopefully her next adventure/romance novel will take us away to another foreign city once ag ...more
This was my first by this author and will most likely will be my last. I didn't like any of the characters. The detective's girlfriend was the most self centered, childish, annoying character ever written. The story line was just awful. There were people hopping on planes to Paris like they were taking a mere trip to the market. It was predictable too. I listened to this one. The narration wasn't great either. Bleh.
One thing I liked about this story was the use of a different narrator for the "thoughts" of the killer; however, the story was not that exciting and about halfway through became very predictable. Just OK for me--5 out of 10 on this one.
I wouldn't have finished this if I wasn't listening to it at work. Blah.
Detective Harry Jordan is going through a tough time. He's dedicated to his work, so much so that his fiancée, Mallory Malone, has flown off to Paris in a snit after their last argument over his retirement. They miss each other, but neither is ready quite yet to apologize. So Harry, independently wealthy after inheriting a small fortune when he was a young man, leaves Boston and heads to his large house on Evening Lake, a house built by Harry's grandfather. What he sees there, shortly after his ...more
Nov 02, 2014 Nancy added it
Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount)
I was a bit reluctant to read this book, as the back cover suggested this was a romance as well as a murder mystery, but I was pleased to discover that this novel really is a murder mystery, and the only romantic thread is the detective's annoyed fiance. I knew who the murder was from the very beginning of the plot, but even so, there were some fun surprises in the end that made this book a rewarding read.
Jodi N
2.5 stars. Took me awhile to get into it and the end seemed kind of anticlimactic. There were also quite a few times in the book where I felt that there was an unnecessary amount of detail describing something.
Darlene Wilson
Harry Jordan is out for a walk when the night is rocked by an explosion: the Havnel house is engulfed in flames and Bea Havnel is seen fleeing, hair on fire, plunging into the lake. Mysterious, rough-around-the edges, and private, Bea and her mother Lacey are newcomers to Evening Lake. Bea survives the fire, but her mother does not, and Harry is pulled into the investigation. As is young Diz Osborne, who, unbeknownst to any of them, carries a weighty secret about who else he saw rowing on the la ...more
Harry Jordan is a detective who owns a cabin at Evening Lake. He has taken some time off to do some thinking. His fiancée, Mal has left and travelled to Paris. She is frustrated with always being left behind because Harry's job takes priority over her. Harry is out walking with his dog at 3:30 in the morning when he sees one of the houses across the lake explode into flames and a young woman running and diving into the lake. They soon discover the young woman's mother was murdered. And it seems ...more
I picked this book up on a whim at the bookstore only because I've read some of her other books and loved them. It was interesting reading the book and hearing everything from the killer's point of view. It was almost like the author was teasing you. I loved reading about everyone's personality and seeing how the characters developed in the book. Detective Harry Jordan and Rossetti were an amazing duo as cops. Yes, the book was a predictable as far as figuring out who the killer was, but I still ...more
Andrea Corley
For a more in depth review, please visit my blog, Chorley Chronicals!!

This is my second Elizabeth Adler book and I am becoming increasingly interested in her as an author. I know that some people aren't a fan of her writing, as it does tend to be a little predictable at times, but none of that bothers me!

Last to Know is action-packed and full of twists and turns that will keep your brain rolling, trying to figure out what is going to happen next, why, and who did it! I think that Adler does an
LAST TO KNOW was an entertaining, if fairly light-weight mystery. It takes place in a well-to-do lake community in Massachusetts, with only a few low-rent cabins in sight. One of those cabins belongs to Detective Harry Jordan, and he just happens to be at the cabin getting away from the stress of his job and the recent departure of his girlfriend, Mel, when a major explosion levels a large house on the opposite side of the lake, sending a young woman running into the lake with her hair on fire. ...more
Judy Churchill
I was all set to relegate this book to the ordinary detective genre, but got caught up in the story and had to change my assessment. The characters were well fleshed out and, actually, captivating. The large, loving family on the island became the family we all wanted to belong to. While the events were pretty gory in parts, and yes, predictable, it didn't seem to detract from the story. Fortunately the detectives got their man - or should I say woman - or maybe both.
My first by the author, and probably the last one too. The men are all a bit too rich and good looking, the women are a bit to flawless and needy; I wouldn't want to have dinner with any of them! I figured out who dunnit right at the beginning, and was right. The story didn't hang together very well and clearly the author enjoys name brand items. Most redeeming feature and reason I finished reading the book? I was in an airplane and imagining the review I would write.
Good murder mystery that I knocked off in two days. The Massachusetts setting for all the peril and interpersonal intrigue was similar to the pond where my brother's family lives, so I kept envisioning events through that lens.

Harry Jordan, apparently, is a recurring Adler character, though I'm not remembering him. Then again, these sorts of thriller/mysteries are passing entertainment that make no pretentions to Great Literature and are easily consumed and forgotten.
Story of a young girl, Bea, who escapes an explosion of her home with her Mother still in the house. When asked by police to go with social services she opts for either a hotel (she has big money) or to stay with Rose and her family across the way in Evening Lakes. Rose takes Bea in and things start to get crazy. As the story progresses, people are murdered; drug trafficking stories and a kidnapping occur.
A twisted end, but you see it coming. A fast read.
First book by this author. Started off promising enough. I like Harry and his dog, Squeeze. The POV from the villain is a good touch and up the ante in the suspense. But then it started to get a bit predictable in the second half of the book. I don't like the way Harry treats his girlfriend, Mal and the attraction between him and Rose is just weird and distracts from the whole story. Definitely will not read anymore in this series. Blegh.
Being a former resident of Boston, I know for a fact there are no rural lakes in its environs so having a Boston police detective investigate a murder at said lake would be impossible. And, as a lawyer, I know said police detective would never investigate an incident he witnessed. So, this author took more than artistic license. She suspended reality. Not good for a murder mystery.

And you will know who did it within ten pages.
Jul 08, 2014 Penny rated it 4 of 5 stars
I was fortunate enough to receive and Advance Reading Copy of “Last to Know” by Elizabeth Adler from Goodreads.
I really enjoyed this book. It has an interesting mix of characters and it kept me guessing as to which one was the murderer. Most of the characters have their own secrets. Even within the Osborne Family you wonder if the husband who is writer of horror stories, isn’t perhaps committing the types of crimes he writes about.
I’m looking forward to reading more books by Elizabeth Adler
Arthur Okun
When I read an author I never read before it becomes a reward-----it opens a library of
exciting newness. LOST TO KNOW; Once again I had to finish it before I went to bed..
The prose was fantastic---the plot made me understand the warm of families and
how we must protect against evil when it lurks. And then to top it off a love story with a short trip to Paris.
Elizabeth Adler is a wonderful writer of crime novels.
I can't remember reading another book by Adler. I saw this one at my local library, and since I am a fan of mysteries, decided I would try it. I do not like the way the narrative is laid out, jumping points of view between chapters. I almost stopped after the prologue written in the killer's voice. I should have. I knew who the killer was within the first 100 pages. I gave it 2 stars because I finished it.
Amy Thorleifson
A fairly routine story with the trust fund police detective and his malamute, the girl friend who has just left for Paris, and the murders on Evening Lake where the detective has a cabin. Characters I found hard to believe in, and the motivation for the murders was somewhat weak.
Read if you like the author, but not a great mystery or even a very good romance.
This was an uneven entry by Adler. She has the rumpled cop/detective paired with the girly-girl combo that she does so well. But the thoughts from the psycho villain's head that came in italicized script isn't just a stale device, the narratives were too long and obvious. This isn't the book I would want someone to start off with if they haven't read her before.
For some reason I did not connect with this book. Maybe it is because the last few book I have read were excellent that I have been spoiled but this book just did not do it for me. I did not like how many points of view it was being told from. For me that took a lot away from the book and I had no connection with any characters except maybe Diz.
Feb 24, 2015 Lori rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lori by: have always read this author from her very first book
My first reads of Adlers were Leonie and paech which I loved this is a very different book from all her others though I did miss her last one which I will read, I did like it though, I knew who the bad person was towards the middle of the book but I was sure it was going to end up as a story that Wally wrote as a surpise ending how wrong I was
  • Angel of the Cove
  • Love's Rescue (Keys of Promise, #1)
  • Hounded: An Andy Carpenter Mystery
  • Grave Doubts (Andrew Fenwick, #3)
  • Never Enough
  • Blunt Impact (Theresa MacLean #5)
  • No Way to Kill a Lady (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #8)
  • The Devil May Care (Mac McKenzie, #11)
  • A Cold White Sun (Constable Molly Smith #6)
  • Guilty
  • Raider's Heart (Backwoods Brides #1)
  • That Old Black Magic (Wedding Cake Mystery, #4)
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
  • Death Wears a Beauty Mask and Other Stories
  • The Illumination
  • Escape: Heartbreaker / Duncan's Bride
  • Fatal Feng Shui (A Domestic Bliss Mystery, #5)
  • Atonement of Blood (Sister Fidelma, #24)
Born in Yorkshire, North England, Elizabeth Adler met her husband Richard (an American) while both were working in London. They have lived in England, Ireland, France, Brazil, and the United States and have traveled extensively. They have one daughter and live in Palm Springs, California. Her first novel, Private Desires (also titled Leonie), launched an enormously successful writing career, she a ...more
More about Elizabeth Adler...