Start by marking “Grave Doubts: A DCI Andrew Fenwick Mystery” as Want to Read:
Grave Doubts: A DCI Andrew Fenwick Mystery

Grave Doubts: A DCI Andrew Fenwick Mystery (Detective Chief Inspector Andrew Fenwick #3)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  30 reviews
'He was only a pupil, learning from a master who was uncompromising about the rules of the game he had invented. Normally he obeyed them, but with her the temptation had been too strong. Otherwise he was an adept pupil, becoming more skilled every time. This one would be his best, he was certain. Perhaps tonight he might...even...kill her.'

Viciously attacked by a serial ra
Published July 1st 2014 by Minotaur Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Grave Doubts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grave Doubts

Heather
Amazing book. When I started reading it I didn't realise it was the third in a series but it can be read as a stand-alone novel. Could not put it down. Wonderful writing, brilliant characters. I especially liked it because the killer didn't have superhuman powers. Things did go wrong for him, which made a refreshing change. Also, even though it was a police procedural, the police officers' private lives were just as interesting as the crimes. Excellent storyline that built to a cliffhanger clima ...more
franziska-marie
EINFACH GROßARTIG!!!
ich bin so froh, dass ich in der bibliothek auf dieses buch gestoßen bin. 'nichts für schwache nerven' kommentierte das magazin 'freundin' - das hat mich natürlich sofort angesprochen und es stimmt - der thriller nimmt einen ganz schön mit und lässt einen in sehr düstere abgründe der menschlichen seele schauen. zwischendurch habe ich richtig gemerkt, wie ich einmal tief durchatmen musste, bevor ich weitergelesen habe. das buch hält die spannung auf jeder einzelnen seite aufr
Best Crime Books
Elizabeth Corley wrote Requiem Mass (1998) as her first novel. This was followed by Fatal Legacy (2000), this book Grave Doubts (2006) and finally Innocent Blood (2008).

In her first and second novels we meet DCI Andrew Fenwick along with WDC Louise Nightingale. The third is no different and the story opens with Nightingale putting herself in the firing line, all in the name of her job. Nightingale is being used as bait to lure out a dangerous killer. When it all goes wrong and the killer attacks
Valissa
A real meh. Another charming, attractive, overly-intelligent psychopath. Another beautiful but damaged young female detective. A really dorky love infatuation.

Wish it could have dropped three of the four descriptions above, it might have been less skimmable. When my eyes start rolling I know that I should find something better to read.
Cheryle
A fairly predictable psychological thriller, but an enjoyable read nonetheless. A police officer victimized by a serial rapist/killer is stalked by a copycat - or is the wrong man in jail after all? Lots of angst, a budding romance, and a pair of very bad men all come together to make an entertaining read.
Stephknep
I had a hard time getting into the first 1/3 of this book. I kept pushing myself to get through and finally the pace picked up and I read through the last 2/3rds quickly. Not sure I would read another one by her, but not ruling it out either. The killer annoyed me quite a bit but other than that, not a bad read.
Caroline Ingvaldsen
Third and best in the DCI Andrew Fenwick series: a nail-biting psychological thriller so well-written as to make graphic and perverse violence and sex appropriate in the development of the fast moving plot.
Thaleia
This is the first book I ever read by Elizabeth Corley and by page 10 I was already captivated completely. She writes spine-chilling! I loved it. It’s exciting, fast-paced and doesn’t bore you at all.

The combination of a sadistic, evil killer with great detectives and intriguing plots, a hint of love… it’s all there! It’s the second book by this author and I’m sure gonna try and read the other ones she has written too. It’s a novel filled with suspense and darkness with psychological twists.

I
Sally
An easy read, enjoyable at the time but eminently forgettable.
Fiona
Most books about serial killers are not great literature, but even by the lowest standards of the genre, this is formulaic rubbish. The writing is poor and the editing even worse. If even the book's editor couldn't be bothered to correct the basic punctuation mistakes, you wonder why they bothered to publish it at all. Ah yes, because it ticked all the boxes of the "serial killer formula."

Don't waste your time.

PS I only gave it one star because I don't know how to give it zero and still have it
Vivienne
Feb 02, 2008 Vivienne rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: crime fiction lovers
Shelves: crime
It seems from lack of reviews that this author is not that well known. Well they should be as this is one of the most exciting crime novels I have read for some time.

Almost 700 pages in paperback I was gripped from the first page and could hardly put down. The leading characters are well drawn and it is easy to care about them. The murderer is vile and yet it is easy to see how he manages to charm his victims as he can assume a mask of normality.
T.D.
I have thoroughly enjoyed this series of books. This is another page turner and although the subject matter was a little difficult to read at times I really enjoyed the ride.

The characters are well written and I found myself missing them once I had finished the book - always a good sign!
Ellen
I found this way too violent and graphic and dreaded picking it up again each time. There were also too many characters in it with the result that I lost track of the plot at times. Definitely my least favourite of the four Corley novels in this series.
Jirinka (sony08)
The first 200 pages I would scrap - i think they were very unneccesery. After that the story took on and it turned out quite good - If I come across another book by this author I would deffinitely read it. I'd give it about 7/10.
Leanne

Slightly slow to start but excellent pace once got into it. Couldn't put it down. Excellent British murder mystery-want to read another by her immediately.
Carol
A very good book, very dark in parts which keeps u wanting to read more. Ending wasn't quite what i expected though.......i think maybe my mind ran away wiv me!!!!!!
Freya
Turned out to be a very good read and very gripping. Had to leave it at my parents as my mother started reading it. Very good book!
Vera VB
This has cost me a good night of sleep, so much tension, the thought of someone entering my house has kept me awake. Awfully good book.
Earl
Really enjoyed this book. Some nice detail that fleshes out the characters well while keeping the plot moving along swiftly...
George
Good long read.....
Kept going throughout and didn't follow the predictable route that I was anticipating
Amie
First book I've ever read by Elizabeth and not the usual thing i would read. But it was a really good story!
khalifah
good story. but it's so loooong and boring. but the ending chapters are page flickings though!
Sandra
I really enjoyed the latest installment featuring ....fenwick & nightingale
Shona
Another fantastic read. Elizabeth Corley is now one of my favourite authors.
Margareth8537
Well-written and gripping. Look forward to others in this series
Pauline
3rd in the series and the best up to now in my opion.
Pauline Nilsson
Graham
Well written and detailed. Enjoy her work
  • The Sholes Key: An Evans and Blackwell Mystery (Book #1)
  • Das Haus der Schwestern
  • Still Waters (Charles Resnick, #9)
  • A Perfect Death (Wesley Peterson, #13)
  • The Brading Collection (Miss Silver, #17)
  • Thou Shalt Kill
  • The Anger of God (Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #4)
  • The Lucifer Code
  • Dead and Buried (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #12)
  • To Dwell in Darkness (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #16)
  • Without Consent
  • The House of Dolls
Elizabeth Corley was born and brought up in West Sussex. Married with a stepdaughter, she manages to balance her crime-writing with a position as Chief Executive, Europe for a global investment company. A one-time committee member and vice-chairperson of the Crime Writers' Association, she is still an active member, while finding time to pursue her outside interests of travel, gardening and music.
More about Elizabeth Corley...
Requiem Mass (Andrew Fenwick, #1) Fatal Legacy (Andrew Fenwick, #2) Innocent Blood (Andrew Fenwick, #4) Dead of Winter Elizabeth Corley Collection: Grave Doubts, Innocent Blood, Fatal Legacy, Requiem Mass