Start by marking “Complicit” as Want to Read:
Complicit

Complicit

3.67  ·  Rating Details ·  2,232 Ratings  ·  570 Reviews
Two years ago, sixteen-year-old Jamie Henry breathed a sigh of relief when a judge sentenced his older sister to juvenile detention for burning down their neighbor’s fancy horse barn. The whole town did. Because Crazy Cate Henry used to be a nice girl. Until she did a lot of bad things. Like drinking. And stealing. And lying. Like playing weird mind games in the woods with ...more
Published June 24th 2014 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Complicit, please sign up.

GiGi
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Wendy Darling
I was pretty convinced for awhile this was the best YA thriller I'd read in a long time. I still felt that way even after I guessed about a quarter of the way in what the big secret was that's causing Jamie's inexplicable symptoms and the tragedy in his past. It's easy for me to accept vague answers and misdirects if the writing and characterization are exceptionally strong, or if the mood of the book suits the structure.

But once a thriller crosses into a more realistic tone, as this one does w
Arianna✦❋SteamyReadsBlog❋✦
4 Stars!!

“Complicit” is a dark, messed up intriguing read that will fucked-up with your head and make you question everything you read. It’s a well written YA dark mystery/psychological thriller so you must read it without reading any spoiler-ish reviews.

The narrator here is Jamie Henry a 16 years old boy who as much as he wants to be a ‘normal’ teenager he can’t. He doesn’t want to be associated with his sister Cate. Not because he doesn’t love her, but because ‘Crazy Cate’ like she is called
Giselle
Feb 03, 2014 Giselle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, arc
WHAAAAAAA!

Holy mother of god this book is some kind of messed up! Like, whoa! But it's the kind of disturbing that is really wonderfully brilliant when you turn the last page, sit back and really think about it. It's a story that will make your skin crawl, an ending that made me want to pee myself, and a memorable quality that makes it all unforgettable.

Jamie comes off as someone who is mentally unstable from the very start. Understandably so after learning the tragedy that is his childhood. An
Faye, la Patata
Find me here:Twitter | Blog

...was pretty much what I felt upon finishing this book.

...was pretty much what I said upon finishing this book.

I first encountered Stephanie Kuehn's work last year with her Charm & Strange, a mystery/psychological heart-rending book that somehow turned my world upside down while reading it. It was a story that was full of pain and anger and sadness, a story that moved me beyond tears. Aside from that, it was also a WTF book. It made me scream internally, my mind

Natalie Monroe
"For every truth best left a lie."

What does it say about a book when you can guess the big twist 12% in?

I'm not a thriller genre veteran, but even I could see the direction it was heading in. A "crazy" sister with a secret, a little brother with a record for amnesia, something bad that happened in the past... If you've read at least one or thrillers in the past, you know what the big secret is.

(Amnesia, next to unreliable narrator, is the queen of thriller plots. You have to do something real
Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie

Where do I start, I want this be a spoiler-free review! Complicit by Stephanie Kuehn, is the kind of dark read I would have loved during my teenage years! My head would've been clean and clear of all other mind bending reads and I wouldn't have been jaded by all the completely dark stuff I have read. Don't get me wrong I thoroughly enjoyed this book, there was a dark and deep sense of foreboding the entire time I read it!

Jamie, is in high school and apart from having to deal with the general iss
Jack
Jul 17, 2013 Jack marked it as to-read
Shelves: wishlist
Looks dark, and creepy. I want it.

Steph Sinclair
I really don't know how to review this book, guys. It was such a mindfuck that I'm not sure the right words even exist to describe this, but I'll try. It's dark, twisted and strange. On some level, I knew what the twist was -- which is my only criticism -- but the final one at the very, very end? WHOA. What the fuck did I just read?

Unfortunately, I can't really talk about any aspects of this novel without completely giving it away, so you'll just have to read it for yourself. If you enjoy psycho
Neil (or bleed)
complicit: adj. Having involvement as an accomplice in a questionable act or a crime

Complicit is the second novel of Stephanie Kuehn after Charm & Strange (3 stars). Complicit, however, is way crazier than Charm & Strange. By crazier I mean, I can't control my emotions that spiked up eventually during and after reading the book and I can't wrapped up my head on it that I'm still pondering on what the hell just happened. Which I did not experience in Charm & Strange so it's a plus.

Com
Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Books)
Nov 07, 2013 Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Books) rated it really liked it
Shelves: tbr-2014
4.5 Stars... really addicting

Jamie has just found out that his older sister has been released from juvie... and now he can't feel his hands. 2 years ago, Cate went away for starting a fire, but now she's out and apparently she wants Jamie to know some things. Like what really happened when their real mother died... and other things that Jamie can't remember.

Jamie and Cate were adopted by a couple after their mom was shot and killed. Cate was outgoing and fun, Jamie had tons of problems. Through
Rose
Initial reaction: Word to the wise: the less you know about this book, the better it'll probably seem to you. The writing was very good, and I'll admit I really liked turns of the book where I followed Jamie through his meandering quest to discover his past and navigating the convoluted hints his sister, Cate, drops.

But I have to say that there were things I didn't like about the narrative and places where I think it could've added just a bit more to give it that extra punch for the aim it was g
Louisa
What was that ending? WHAT WAS THAT ENDING?! %*(@$

I really don't know what to say. I guess I was expecting a mindfuck, and it was a pretty good one in retrospect, but the execution... left something to be desired. God, it's so hard talking about it without giving away anything. Let's just say there must be 50 pages missing from the end because that can't be all.

(view spoiler)
Keertana
Feb 04, 2014 Keertana rated it liked it
Kuehn's Charm & Strange burst upon my radar like a splash of color, surprising me not only with its vivid portrayal of psychological illness but also with its all-too-real characterization, forcing my heart into the story. Complicit, on the other hand, is far too emotionally jarring. While its premises is fascinating, I felt starkly removed from the novel until the last quarter. Jamie, our protagonist, is battling a sea of problems in Complicit, most notably that his older sister is finally ...more
Emily (Obsessed Reader)
Apr 28, 2015 Emily (Obsessed Reader) rated it really liked it
Excuse me while I try to piece my mind back together because Stephanie Kuehn just BLEW IT TO PIECES.
I'm not going to try to write some well thought-out review because I honestly can't. I don't even know what thoughts I'm having.
This book had me guessing until the end, and I absolutely love that in a book. I haven't read something that had me so physiologically messed up since I read Gone Girl...so obviously, I loved that.
However I'm a little pissed at that ending, hence why it didn't get a ful
Angela
Sep 20, 2015 Angela rated it it was ok
Review to come.
Mith
Jan 09, 2014 Mith rated it really liked it
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Disclaimer : If you have not yet read the blurb for this book, DO NOT READ IT - It gives away way, WAY too much information. (But if you are of the kind that believes that it's the journey and not the destination, then go right ahead).

If you've already read the blurb then the mindfuck factor of this book lessens considerably, but the ending will still make you gasp and say "What?! What?!" for about 10 minutes straight.

Recommended for those who like works by Gillian Flynn.
Amanda
May 17, 2015 Amanda rated it liked it
Woah! I just finished this and I need a minute to run through the entire story in my mind again and relate it to what I just read. If you like psychological thrillers, this would be the book for you!
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
“There are some dreams you do wake up from, only to find you can't remember them at all. But that doesn't mean these dreams don't matter...
These are dream that hold our most private of truths.
These are the dreams that destinies are made of.”

Charm and Strange still stand as one of the best psychological thriller I ever read. I held that book as a prime example on how Kuehn’s follow up novel would be.

Complicit is another remarkable story. It’s my certain cup of tea. The elegant, enthralling lyric
Elizabeth
Jun 15, 2015 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
not a fan of the unreliable narrator.
so it's me.
not Stephanie Kuehn.
Jen
Feb 03, 2014 Jen rated it really liked it
4 stars
It's always those psychological thriller books that have me thinking by the end: What did I just read? Did I even understand what I read? Is my brain comprehending this?? (clearly not.)

For real though, Complicit blew my mind. It's a short and exciting read, one that begs to have its pages flipped quickly. The premise is creepy and unlike anything I've ever read--more importantly, it's told from the perspective of a teenage boy. This is the first that I've read from Stephanie Kuehn, but it
Jen
Jun 21, 2014 Jen added it
Initial thoughts:

LOVED it. Definitely some similarities to Charm and Strange -- narrated by a teenage boy who has some issues, plus an overall creepy vibe. But Stephanie Kuehn is officially on my auto-buy list :)

And I agree with what others have said: better not to read that blurb before going in. The less you know, the better.

Official thoughts:

If you read Stephanie Kuehn's debut novel, Charm and Strange, you know that she's a talented writer who is a master at creating a creepy and suspensef
Mónica BQ
Jan 13, 2016 Mónica BQ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It makes me very very fucking happy when YA's are written like this. When teenagers are not underestimated. When young readers are valued by the authors as smart and experienced people. When they don't try and protect teens from things that teens most likely already know. I like authors that respect their audience.

And so I loved loved loved this absolute mind fuck of a book. The MC's are unlikeable and cruel and manipulative and so so very much human.

Only a couple of things kept this from being
Rayne
Complicit is an intense, clever, disturbing and thrilling ride that's brilliantly written and has one of the best endings I've read in quite a while. It takes a while to pick up and spends quite a lot of time in the romance, which are basically the only reasons why I gave it 4 stars, but everything else about this book is done amazingly well. What impressed me the most about this book is that Kuehn is so clever with her writing that, while you might see some things coming, she prepared in antici ...more
Bailey
Apr 05, 2014 Bailey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, reviewed
You can only feel bad for so long when someone else's pain is hurting you, too.
-Cate

Complicit was a mind boggling book that was not only gripping, but also a heartbreaking and amazingly executed novel. I imagine that the less you know of the story, the more you will love it and find it hopefully intriguing. So, I will try to keep that in mind while I review Kuehn's masterpiece.

Jamie Henry has had a tough life. This doesn't mean that he's had a few ups and downs, but that he lived in a horrib
Jen La Duca
My So-Called Review

When I read a book and absolutely fall in love with it, I’m one of those that will then run to Amazon and purchase every book by the same author. Such is the case with Stephanie Kuehn; I recently read Charm and Strange and loved it so much I immediately bought the rest of her books. The moment they arrived I dove right in and started reading Complicit and finished it within 24 hours. I loved Charm and Strange so I knew that Complicit had a lot to live up to but luckily I was

Molly
Feb 03, 2014 Molly rated it really liked it
Huge thank you to the publisher for letting me read an advanced copy of this. Writing this honest review to say thank you

Mannnnnnn, this book was good, but there were a few things that really stuck out that I didn't like. For one... I REALLY wish the blurb didn't spoil it for us. Like, because I knew that Jamie was crazy, I was just watching for it. Partially that was fun, but it really took the gut-punch out of the gut-punch.

So Jamie is this really smart, affluent kid who gets amazing grades,
Jo
Feb 04, 2014 Jo rated it liked it
I think I would have enjoyed this more had I not read the description of what the book was about. I sort of knew what was going to happen, and that took the wind out of the sails a bit. It was an edge of your seat thriller, but didn't sacrifice character for plot. Jaimie is a great protagonist, and I love that it is from his POV. I did, however, think there was too much foul language. I know I'm old fashioned, but it felt like the words were written just to be edgy. It came across as vulgar for ...more
Dark Faerie Tales
Jun 06, 2015 Dark Faerie Tales rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed-by-zed
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: An almost psychological thriller type read about two siblings who are so much more than they first appear to be.

Opening Sentence: My phone is ringing.

The Review:

My first impression of Complicit was that it wasn’t as good as the other books about mental issues I’ve read of late. This is probably unfair given that I have read some pretty awesome books such as Bone Gap and Alice and the Fly, so it’s unfortunate for Complicit that the bar had al
Jenni Arndt
Feb 03, 2014 Jenni Arndt rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-ebook
Actual rating is 4.5

Complicit is exactly the kind of book I like to read, but have so much trouble finding. At the same time it is exactly the kind of book that I hate reviewing. Full of twists, turns and unreliable characters, this novel keeps you guessing until the very end and leaves you with a conclusion that will have your jaw on the floor.

Jamie Henry is 16 years old and he doesn’t know much about his past. He knows that he was adopted at a young age and that he was very lucky to have gotte
Renae
*reviewer emits long-suffering sigh, stares at blinking cursor on white page*

*silence*

I try. I really do try. But it would be really nice if I don’t guess the outcome of every single mystery/thriller I read. From page one. Or, in Complicit’s case, all I had to do was read the jacket copy. Seriously, not even kidding. I read the back cover and knew what was going to happen.

Just once, I’d like to be wrong.

It’s not even like I had expectations about Complicit going in. I read no reviews, heard no
4A Independent Re...: Realistic fiction/ Thriller (week 3) 2 2 Dec 15, 2016 12:00PM
4A Independent Re...: Realistic Fiction/ Thriller (week 2) 2 2 Dec 09, 2016 11:44AM
4A Independent Re...: Realistic Fiction, Thriller 2 2 Dec 01, 2016 12:08PM
  • Of Scars and Stardust
  • Perfectly Good White Boy
  • Dangerous Boys
  • When I Was the Greatest
  • Dark Metropolis (Dark Metropolis, #1)
  • Far From You
  • Torn Away
  • Minders
  • (Don't You) Forget About Me
  • Falls the Shadow (Falls the Shadow #1)
  • Kiss Kill Vanish
  • The Vanishing Season
I'm a YA writer who grew up in Berkeley, California, which is a quirky sort of a place with a ton of wonderful bookstores. My very first job was working in one of those bookstores.

Passions of mine include mental health advocacy, social justice, and sports of all kinds. I currently live in Northern California with my family and our wild menagerie of pets. CHARM & STRANGE and COMPLICIT are out n
More about Stephanie Kuehn...

“There are some dreams you can't wake up from.
Ever.
These are called nightmares.”
5 likes
These are dream that hold our most private of truths.
These are the dreams that destinies are made of.”
5 likes