Start by marking “Cradle to Grave (Will Rees, #3)” as Want to Read:
Cradle to Grave (Will Rees, #3)

Cradle to Grave (Will Rees Mysteries #3)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Will Rees is adjusting to life on his Maine farm in1797, but he’s already hungering for the freedom of the road, and his chance to travel comes sooner than he expects. Lydia has just received a letter from her old friend Mouse, a soft-spoken and gentlewoman who now lives in the Shaker community in Mount Unity, New York. To Lydia and Rees’s astonishment, she’s in trouble wi ...more
Published June 17th 2014 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Cradle to Grave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cradle to Grave

Jodi
This was the best Will Rees yet. As usual, the social milieu and tone of the writing really transport you to the time and place. Many times when I read mysteries, I am simultaneously figuring out the ending, but with these I am so involved in the story I don't even think about trying to sort out the ending and that makes for a much more satisfying read. Like Anne Perry, the characters are compelling and the place feels real enough to keep you invested the entire time.
Lynne Radcliffe
Well write historical fiction. Going to be looking for more books by this author and with these characters. Love finding a new author that writes so well!
Ann
Will Rees is now married to his beloved Lydia and they are spending the winter on his farm in Maine. Lydia gets a frantic letter from her friend Mouse who still lives in the Shaker community in New York where Lydia lived. She has been charged with kidnapping of five children and needs their help. Will and Lydia travel to see Mouse even though it is in the middle of winter and travel is hard. They find Mouse who readily admits to kidnapping but says that the mother of the children is not a fit mo ...more
Matt Kuhns
This was a quick, engaging reading. I have read all three of the Rees mystery novels thus far, and after a good start, the series seems to be growing even better and more confident.

The plot of Cradle to Grave may have gotten a bit too complicated; I had no difficulty keeping track of events through 95% of the story, but I found myself re-reading the extensive solution scene at the end multiple times trying to grasp the big picture of who did what behind the scenes and why. (I was only partially
Rosee
Will Rees is having a hard time getting used to life in one place, he’s used to being on the road, but for Lydia, he is doing his best to adjust to life on their Maine farm during this cold winter of 1797. When Lydia gets word that her friend, Mouse has been arrested for kidnapping in the Shaker village in New York where she lives, Will and Lydia strike out on the snow covered icy roads to reach her. Mouse reveals she has taken five children from their mother, Maggie, fearing for their safety an ...more
Caroline
Once again Kuhns succeeds in not only transporting me back to a time in America's infancy, but in also creating such a satisfying puzzle, revealing some of the history of that time, populating it with sympathetic and unsympathetic characters, and convincing me of the wrongs that people did (and continue to do to one another in the name of things that should matter less) to one another. A great read.
Mary Theobald
In this, the third in Eleanor Kuhns's Shaker mystery series, the author traces a plot that opens with a modest crime (the "kidnapping" or well-meant rescue of 5 abused children from their alcoholic mother) and descends into the far more serious crime of murder--and not only one. Set in the late 18th century in Maine and upstate New York during the winter (just reading about that will make you shiver and reach for another blanket), the story involves itinerant weaver Will Rees who has recently ma ...more
Doris
Will is married to his love, Lydia, who convinces him to travel to New York from Maine in the dead of winter, in order to help out a friend.

I enjoyed that the story did not dwell on the journey, but touched on the social milieu of the times, reminding me that the travel was so difficult them. This was well written, in that it transported me, making me forget in part that this was a mystery.

There were multiple villains, and I was surprised at the prefidy of some, but not at the identity of the t
Merle
This one is well done by Kuhns. The story, while putting Will and wife Lydia in the middle of another puzzle that has to be solved, also shows some of the other interests of the day. For example, Will is sitting in a tavern eating while the gentlemen all discuss a burning question: What should be the capital of New York? Kingston, Albany, New York City?

The story is taking place in 1797 and Will and Lydia have traveled to upstate New York at a request from Sister Hannah, a Shaker that knows Lydia
Ann
The 3rd in this series of historical mysteries set in post-Revolutionary War New England, with traveling weaver Will Rees and Lydia, now his wife, as the main characters and solvers of mysteries. In the frigid Maine winter they receive a letter from Mouse, a friend from Lydia's previous Shaker community life, pleading for their help. Traveling through snow storms they arrive in rural New York to discover that Mouse has been accused of kidnapping 5 children and shortly after that accused of killi ...more
Lance Wright
Set in late 18th century New York, this is an enjoyable mystery with a complicated whodunit storyline that is best enjoyed by simply following along with the lead character as he does the ground work in solving the murders, and closes with a very touching, very appropriate ending. Read our full review, here: http://www.mysteriousreviews.com/myst...
Sara
I enjoyed this book very much. The setting is so unusual, and it is interesting to get a glimpse of Shaker life. I read the first one and also enjoyed it. Somehow I missed the second one, but will go back and get it. So, now there are three in the series and one coming out next year as well.
Arlene
J Beverly
enjoy the world of the shaker that is a part of the series -- also the sense of history as well as the reality of the society which existed at the time ... people being allowed to stay in a community only if they were actually born there ...
Beth
I love these characters and was excited to read this third in the series. However, this was my least favorite of the three. Without giving anything away, in several ways the resolution of the mystery seemed inconsistent with certain parts of the plot.
But I still love her writing and the overall story arc of the series.
Karen
Picked this one up off the shelf. It was pretty good. Some things feel anomalous but, a pretty good mystery. See from Goodreads this is #3, so I'll go find one and two.
Maureen
I always like these because the author gives me a good sense of time and place. The mystery may not be all that mysterious, but, like the medieval mysteries by Ellis Peters, I don't really care.
Donna
New author for me. Enjoyed well researched historic points and the creative characters. I'll go back and read the first two!
Deanna
I didn't like this as much as the first book. Don't know why exactly. felt like we'd heard this story before.
Jan
Oct 21, 2014 Jan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
interesting setting for this mystery: post revolutionary war. 3rd in a series. I would look for the first 2
Freda Witt
good series. A reminder of how harsh living conditions could be in the past.
Susan
A GREAT HISTERICAL FICTION MYSTERY LOVE THE STORY
Kmcfarling
In short, I didn't care for the setting. The plot began interestingly but the investigation into the complicated lives seemed bogged down and heavy. I found myself very frustrated by the disorganization of Rees and Cooper's investigations! I had a hard time finishing this one, as I was not excited to get to the answers. :-/
Malia
Superb murder mystery series.
Irma
Will Reese ha cambiado tanto desde su primera aventura como tejedor vuelto investigador. Aun cuando los Shakers están presentes en esta historia, no son el centro de la misma.
Bettie☯
Jun 02, 2014 Bettie☯ marked it as maybe
Recommended to Bettie☯ by: biblioklept
to watch the ratings/look into further
Pamela
Pamela is currently reading it
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Yume Amatsu
Yume Amatsu marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
  • Runaway Man (Benji Golden, #1)
  • Murder In The Afternoon (Kate Shackleton, #3)
  • Summer of the Dead (Bell Elkins, #3)
  • Black Current
  • Death of a Robber Baron
  • Champagne: The Farewell: A Vengeance in the Vineyard Mystery
  • A Small Death in the Great Glen
  • World's Greatest Sleuth!
  • Multiple Exposure: A Sophie Medina Mystery
  • A Christmas Odyssey (Christmas Stories, #8)
  • Miss Dimple Picks a Peck of Trouble (Miss Dimple Kilpatrick #4)
  • Death Comes to the Village (Kurland St. Mary Mystery series, #1)
  • Hollow Bones (Caitlyn Tierney FBI Thriller, #3)
  • Fear in the Sunlight (Josephine Tey, #4)
  • Rock with Wings (Navajo Mysteries, #20)
  • Mind Over Murder (Raven's Nest, #1)
  • Taken by the Wind (Jane Lawless, #21)
  • Hunting Shadows (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #16)
Eleanor is a lifelong librarian. She wrote her first story at the age of ten and hasn't stopped since. She lives with her husband and dog in New York State.
More about Eleanor Kuhns...

Will Rees Mysteries (4 books)
  • A Simple Murder (Will Rees, #1)
  • Death of a Dyer (Will Rees, #2)
  • Death in Salem (Will Rees, #4)
A Simple Murder (Will Rees, #1) Death of a Dyer (Will Rees, #2) Death in Salem (Will Rees, #4)