Start by marking “Don't Put That in There!: And 69 Other Sex Myths Debunked” as Want to Read:
Don't Put That in There!: And 69 Other Sex Myths Debunked

Don't Put That in There!: And 69 Other Sex Myths Debunked

People have more access to medical information than ever before with an abundance of printed and online resources, and yet we still believe "facts" about our bodies and sexuality that are just plain wrong. Don't Put That in There! takes on these myths and misconceptions, and exposes the truth behind some of those weird and worrisome things we think about our bodies, such a ...more
Published July 1st 2014 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Don't Put That in There!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Put That in There!

Sharon L
May 08, 2014 Sharon L rated it really liked it
Wanna read more reviews? visit my blog The Accidental Reader

Well,

Written in a funny approchable way, Don't Put That In There! debunk all sorts of sex myths I never had.

Maybe, that came out a little wrong.

So let's start at...well, I'm not sure.
What made me want to read this book was sheer curiousity as to what myths there are regarding sex? Beside the funny name and the cover promised something that while being informative will also be easy to read.

Was that promise delivered? YES!

There are
Ryan Dejonghe
Jun 26, 2014 Ryan Dejonghe rated it really liked it
Mom, if you are reading this review, cover your eyes. Better yet, go check out my review of Joyce Meyer’s latest book. You shouldn’t be reading this review mom. You’re embarrassing me.

Next, I want to thank the authors for recommending the book Stuck Up!: 100 Objects Inserted and Ingested in Places They Shouldn't Be. I need to read that book.

And now for everyone else, please bear with me as I try to write this review whilst working around the censors. I’m assuming you’ll know what I mean by manho
Jenni
Jul 05, 2014 Jenni rated it liked it
I won this through a Goodreads giveaway- not my usual kind of book, but the title was amusing and I generally approve of any work that aims to demystify the human condition.
I must be honest, I'm not sure who was the intended audience for this work. You have to hope that most adult Americans are past the stage of believing that masturbation causes hairy palms or blindness, so I initially assumed this was intended for the teenaged reader or the young adult who has learned the basics of sex ed but
Jessica Hudson
Oct 21, 2016 Jessica Hudson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I won this book in the giveaway.

Although I have not finished reading this book, I absolutely love it and have learned so much from it.
Emrie
Oct 17, 2016 Emrie rated it liked it
This addressed some myths I didn't even know were myths. I was happy to learn new things, but the book wasn't particularly compelling.
Andrew
Jul 31, 2016 Andrew rated it liked it
Shelves: relationships
After reading their first book Don't Swallow Your Gum!, I was so excited about a research-based book that I finished Don't Put That In There! in two days, but in the end I was disappointed because it failed to leave up to the introduction: "We're showing you, through data, "why we think an idea is a myth."

They argue that women want sex as much as men (pg. 147) by citing statistics that man and women have vaginal sex at similar frequencies. Given that the population studied having vaginal sex was
Amanda Gylling
Aug 21, 2014 Amanda Gylling rated it it was ok
For the most part, I liked this book and felt that the information contained in this book was accurate. However, the authors did spout quite a bit of their own personal beliefs, especially about anal sex and their approval of it. When discussing the myths, the authors would defend their opinions and would only hesitantly admit something that went against their beliefs. Otherwise, they would neglect to mention information previously discussed in the book about their current topic. An example of t ...more
WriteKnight
3.5 of 5 stars – Helpful, Easy-to-Read Info about Sex.
(I'm excited to have won this as a Goodreads First Read – so thanks!)

Don't Put That in There!: And 69 Other Sex Myths Debunked is a good book for those, like I was, curious to find out about all the myths and the actual facts behind them.

Not only was Drs. Aaron Carroll’s and Rachel Vreeman’s intent to debunk myths, but also to do it in an easy-to-read, understandable way. In this they succeeded, although at times it seemed a little repetitive
Free_dreamer
Sep 12, 2015 Free_dreamer rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-copies
***4.5 stars***

A non-fiction book about sex in our time, where everybody knows everything about sex? That's got to be completely redundant, right? Well, no! This book offers a great insight into those countless myths, and not only about the act itself. The myths range from absolutely nutty like "You don't get pregnant when you do it standing upright" to those well known myths you've always wondered about like "Black men are the most well endowed out there!" and ones that you most probably though
Liz
Jul 27, 2015 Liz rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book through the Goodreads giveaway program in exchange for an honest review. Apparently, I forgot to post said review way back when I finished this book, so here it is now.

This was an easy-to-read book full of vignettes that explain common myths and questions about sex and related topics. Each myth took no more than 2-3 pages to answer with supporting evidence (some studies are listed as not fully proven but are there to get the reader thinking) and personal experience
Debbie Ballard
Jul 21, 2014 Debbie Ballard rated it it was amazing
I received the engaging, interesting, informative & entertaining, Don't Put That In There! And 69 Other Sex Myths Debunked by Aaron E. Carroll & Dr. Rachel C. Vreeman free through Goodreads First Reads.
The authors researched each of the myths and found scientific studies and research on the topics. The science is presented, explained, and detailed in the book why the myths are or aren't true.
Here are two interesting examples:
(Myth)Batters Up! The Battle of the 7 inch Penis - the average
John Adkins
Jun 02, 2014 John Adkins rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, net-galley, 2014
"Don't Put That in There" is an amusing and informative romp through all of the questions that you, I, and everyone else have always wondered but were afraid to ask (and even more afraid to Google). From classics like whether size matters the G-spot to helpful advice on piercings and shaving and on to more risque topics including anal sex and the toys and other aids topic that forms the title of the book, nothing is considered taboo.

Those readings this work for practical answers to questions in
Kristen
Jul 15, 2014 Kristen rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Disclaimer: I received this book through Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

Ever wonder if the size of a man's feet indicate anything other than his shoe size? Are oysters, chocolate or bananas really aphrodisiacs? Can you catch an STD from a toilet seat? If you've ever wondered about the answers to these questions, "Don't put that in there!: And 69 other sex myths debunked" is the book for you.

Written in a fun and readable way, the book answers these and 66 other questions by examining the availa
HeavyReader
Sep 25, 2014 HeavyReader rated it liked it
Recommends it for: folks who don't know much about sex
I just found out that I won this book in a First Reads drawing. I am SUPER excited to read this one. I haven't read a good nonfiction sex book in a long time.

UPDATE: I enjoyed reading this book. It is accessible and gently humorous.

This book would be good for any person, about age 15 and up, who doesn't know much about sex but wants to learn.

The authors write in a way that makes this book easy to read by an older teen or adult. There aren't a lot of big words or medical terms. The writing is n
Brandy
Jul 01, 2014 Brandy rated it liked it
I received my copy today from the publisher in return for sharing my thoughts on this book. It's a fairly brisk read and a somewhat fun book after having read another book on such a topic as sex and the human anatomy. There are a few reasons why I wasn't able to rate it higher than three stars. For one, the authors' usage of "very, very" and "many, many, many" repeated so often that it became distracting. The first few chapters even seemed like a repetition in the use of the same sentences they ...more
Taylor
Jul 01, 2014 Taylor rated it really liked it
I received a free ARC from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review. I really enjoyed this book. It was a very quick read. You could skim through sections or even look at specific questions if you do not was to read the book all the way through. It was organized in a very reader friendly manner. As for the information, most of the myths seemed pretty obvious. For example, you can get pregnant in water or using the pull out method. No shock to me there. I guess some people might be shocked by ...more
Rachel
Sep 23, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it
I consider myself pretty well educated when it comes to sexuality and sexual health, but I definitely felt like I learned a lot from this book and found the bite-size chapters very fun and approachable. I can always appreciate any book with such a sizable reference section, and the authors clearly did their research.

Also, I think the authors should be commended for their inclusion of all couples, not just heterosexual pairs. They model openness and lack of judgement, and I appreciate that they
Ryan
May 08, 2014 Ryan rated it it was amazing
Great information, great topic, great books. What makes this book great is that it reads like your having a conversation with your girlfriend who just happens to be a doctor. It does not read like some heavy non-fiction tomb that makes you want to pull your eyes out. It covers all the things you would talk about in everyday life (if you talk about sex in your everyday life) and debunks myths, admits when there is not a definit answer, and tells you when something is real and not a myth. Overall ...more
Stacy Fetters
Jul 17, 2014 Stacy Fetters rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Very fascinating book all about sex myths. It make me laugh, cry, cringe and well duh!
I did learn somethings while reading this. Very informative. Some of these myths are extremely outrageous and hilarious. Most of the chapter titles will make you laugh out loud.
My favorite parts are how to actually measure the length of a penis (that was eye opening and cringeworthy) (yikes), anal sex can give you cancer ( teehee) and losing tampons while they get sucked into an abyss. Wow, just wow.
Towards t
Stealthilicious Stacie
Received from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Let's talk about sex baby, let's talk about you and me...oops, sorry Salt n Pepa...Anyway...This book was a fun read. Each "chapter" was a basically an entry on a different sex myth. They covered myths about men, women and then just sex in general. The authors wrote the book in an easy to read and relateable way. Would have been a great bathroom read but I read it in one sitting in an afternoon. Definitely makes for great conversations.
Vika Ryabova
Feb 10, 2014 Vika Ryabova rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Исключительно полезная книга, которую даже можно рекомендовать в качестве учебного пособия :) Приятно, что написана она мужчиной и женщиной, что гарантирует равномерное и равноценное освещение вопросов, связанных с обоими полами. Главное, конечно, что авторы – профессиональные действующие врачи, имеющие доступ к различным (в том числе и архивным) исследованиям.

Написана она очень просто и понятно, с легким юмором – читается легко, несмотря на достаточное количество цифр и научных данных.
Shannon
Sep 03, 2014 Shannon rated it really liked it
This is he 3rd book by these authors I've read (go check out Don't Swallow your Gum & Don't Cross Your Eyes) and quite obviously from the title, its debunking sex myths. Some were silly & obvious but many were quite interesting. My favorite that I don't understand may be that wearing a bra does not prevent sagging. I enjoy Dr. Carroll anytime he's on Stand Up with Pete Dominick on Sirius XM and this book did not disappoint.
Heather Porter
Aug 24, 2015 Heather Porter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Disclaimer: I received this book through Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

Hilarious and informing!!!! I absolutely love this book!!!! I learned a lot about my body, and my husbands. Some info I knew, and some I did not, some I found comical and some I found terrifying. I am super glad that I read this book and got some wisdom to pass along to my friends!
Christie
Picked this book up after watching Aaron Carroll on a Mental Floss video and wanted to know more about all the myths. I knew most of what was covered in this book, but did learn some interesting things. The book is humorous, but I liked that everything was well-researched and there was quite the bibliography included. Fun book to read and share.
Heather
Jul 07, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it
This is a really entertaining book. It has some education mixed with humor. I think this would be a really good book to give younger teens, because hopefully adults don't still believe you can't get pregnant standing up and some of the other crazy myths. I do think this would help answer a lot of questions that teenagers have but are too embarrassed to ask.
Anino
May 10, 2014 Anino rated it it was amazing
*** ARC received from NetGalley.com in exchange for an honest review/***

Being a Sociology major, I liked this book because it an informative guide that just about anyone could clearly comprehend.

Not only was it easy to read, but it was thought-provoking and funny as well.

Giving this one 5 stars.

Sharlena
Jun 12, 2015 Sharlena rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Easy to read, straight forward info. I would have liked a bit more scientific research cited but that may be due to my own background/ profession (and there is some evidence to bust the myths). Solid info that should be accessible for all. Comprehensive sex education should cover most of this info too!
Batsheva
Dec 18, 2014 Batsheva rated it liked it
Shelves: science, non-fiction
I mostly checked this out because of the cover. An entertaining and educational books of questions-and-answers about sexual health. Not so many surprises, but written in an accessible and engaging manner by two public-health-minded pediatricians. No, you are unlikely to get chlamydia from a toilet seat, but remember that sex you had? Yeah.
David
Apr 17, 2015 David rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I think this would have been more appropriate for a teen audience rather than an adult one...but then again, I suppose many adults weren't given proper sex-ed. It kinda lacked substance. I can see it being on the coffee table at a proctologist's office.
Tracy Canuck
Sep 22, 2014 Tracy Canuck rated it liked it
Quick little snippets that debunk some of those myths we've heard over the years. All layman's language, not entirely scientifically-based but they do make mention of the odd case study group involving anywhere from 3 to 2000 people.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Sealab: America's Forgotten Quest to Live and Work on the Ocean Floor
  • The Naked Brain: How the Emerging Neurosociety is Changing How We Live, Work, and Love
  • Pox: Genius, Madness, And The Mysteries Of Syphilis
  • Passions and Tempers: A History of the Humours
  • Ping-Pong Diplomacy: The Secret History Behind the Game That Changed the World
  • Techniques of Pleasure: BDSM and the Circuits of Sexuality
  • Dark Moon Rising: Pagan Bdsm & the Ordeal Path
  • Players: The Story of Sports and Money--And the Visionaries Who Fought to Create a Revolution
  • Just One of the Guys?: Transgender Men and the Persistence of Gender Inequality
  • 10 Steps to Earning Awesome Grades (While Studying Less)
  • Cannabis Pharmacy: The Practical Guide to Medical Marijuana