Start by marking “Everyone Lies” as Want to Read:
Everyone Lies

Everyone Lies (DCI Kate Simms & Professor Nick Fenimore #1)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  30 reviews
In Everyone Lies by ADGarrett, DCI Kate Simms is on the fast track to nowhere. Five years ago she helped a colleague when she shouldn't have. She's been clawing her way back from a demotion ever since. Professor Nick Fennimore is a failed genetics student, successful gambler, betting agent, crime scene officer, chemistry graduate, toxicology specialist and one-time scienti ...more
Published July 15th 2014 by Minotaur Books (first published June 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Everyone Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everyone Lies

Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

The first in a series introducing DI Kate Simms and forensic lecturer, Professor Nick Fennimore, Everyone Lies is a collaboration between award winning author Margaret Murphy and renowned forensics expert Professor Dave Barclay.

After a professional misstep, Kate has worked hard to regain her footing in the force but when she is allocated to investigate a cluster of drug deaths in Manchester, she suspects it indicates a larger problem. Stonewalled by her colleagues, Kate turns to Nick Fennimore,
Raven
It’s always a tricky proposition I imagine to undertake a crime, or indeed any kind of fiction novel with a dual writing partnership. In other books I have read with two authors there is usually a very noticeable distinction between their two styles causing me to favour one over the other, or the book falls down as one has obviously taken control over a certain facet of the story. Everyone Lies neatly bucked the trend for me and I was incredibly impressed by this debut collaboration between Marg ...more
Kay Robinson
Life is dangerous for girls in the vice game in Manchester and when one is found dead behind the Midland Hotel DCI Kate Simms is reluctantly given the case. Already under a shadow, made even darker by the appointment of her old boss to the ACC of GMP. Under pressure she contacts an old friend in forensics, Nick Fennimore, who has already been implicated in the illegal use of police resources which resulted in Kate's damaged prospects. Her bosses want the case to be solved, killer brought to just ...more
Babus Ahmed
There's a lot going on in this crime procedural thriller, you have the bad guys distributing drugs and pimping out prostitutes, you have the good guys with their back histories, which we will no doubt find out more about in the series. However, even though I am a huge crime thriller plan this didn't appeal to me as much as it should have. I found myself getting frustrated by the amount of digresses and explanations extraneous to the plot and I had the villain sussed too early. I do enjoy a stron ...more
David
A reasonable read and will look for the next one.
Lainy
Time taken to read - dipped in and out over 7 days

Publisher - Constable & Robinson (C R Crime)

Blurb from the back cover

DI Kate Simms is on the fast track to nowhere. Five years ago she helped a colleague when she shouldn't have. She's been clawing her way back from a demotion ever since. Professor Nick Fennimore is a failed genetics student, successful gambler, betting agent, crime scene officer, chemistry graduate, toxicology specialist and one-time scientific advisor to the National Crime
Sharon
Set in Manchester, I liked Kate having been kept firmly under the disapproving misogynistic thumb of her peers for the past five years, Kate see's her chance to shrug off her past shame within the police force. Knowing something stinks and there's no point in asking for resources within the force so she turns to Professor Nick Ferrimore the cause of her original downfall.
Kate is tenacious and appears to be thwarted at every turn Drugs, prostitutes, murder, CSI, she refuses to take the obvious op
Lynda Kelly
This was a really good story although I did get a bit bogged down in places when they went too deeply into every forensic detail. Although the extra knowledge was useful, it did go on a bit too much !
I did notice this was another book set here in the UK using American spellings such as realized/apologize. I'm noticing this a lot with recent books I've read and it's very annoying.
There were some dropped words from sentences too like a/the/to which were aggravating. However, they DID explain abbre
Rebecca Bradley
A brilliantly written crime fiction, police procedural novel. The forensic science in this book will keep all those interested in the behind the scenes work, extremely happy. The characters were believable and sympathetic, in fact, I really did feel for the protagonist Kate at some points during the story. It has a grim undercurrent to keep you hooked and guessing and I really could not work out who the bad guy was. An all round great book.
Marika Charalambous
Full review at http://www.mysterysequels.com/everyon...

I’ve been introduces to the DI Kate Simms series through Goodreads here, a friend just finished reading it and I saw her review on my feed. Her review was 4 stars, so I decided to check it out. Well, let's just say that the book blew me away.

Now the DI Kate Simms series by A.D.Garrett consists at the moment of one book only, called Everyone Lies. On Amazon it is not even listed as part of a series. However it’s just impossible for it not to
Judy
This was a very "busy" book, took a long time to get to the point. I am glad I decided to finish it because it did have a surprise ending. It was a little hard to get into with all the "facts" about drug addiction and prostitution.
Amanda
It was okay. The explanations of police procedure were clunky and intrusive and the ending a bit predictable (as were the 'twists' - I knew who all the 'baddies' were from the moment they appeared...). All in all, it felt a bit 'written to a template'. Shame, as the main female cop, Kate Simms, wasn't bad as a character.
Alison Gray
This is a partnership in writing between Margaret Murphy, established author, and Professor Dave Barclay, forensics specialist. I found it difficult to get into this book initially because of the detail of violence in the initial chapters. However, once I got past that and got to know the characters, Kate Simms and Nicholas Fennimore, I found the plot quite fascinating and the forensic details very interesting.
Cheryl
Enjoyed will look for next in series! Worked good together.
Rosa Macpherson
very enjoyable. satisfying. Good plot, characterisation, pace, tantalising, but gives out enough to keep you hooked. There will be more from this team of writers, and characters... can't wait to get started on book 2
Heather Kilminster
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and am looking forward to reading more by this author. They make it feel like you are actually there with the accurate and visual descriptions. You are left wanting to get to the end to finally see the result of the investigation. The characters are likeable and intriguing - highly recommend it!!!

I received this book free through Goodreads First Reads - apologies missed out previously!!
Maggie
I recieved this as part of a "Goodreads Giveaway".
This is the first book in what I assume will be a partnership between an established author and a forensics expert. As a result, the book doesn't quite "work" as the characters are introduced and two individual story-telling approaches melded.
It is a promising start though and I look forward to reading the next in the series when characters and approaches are better "embedded".
Amy
"The authors adeptly tease out the gripping backstory between our two protagonists, and readers will be pleased to know that this is the first in a promising series. It is important to note that there are some torture scenes that could prove too grisly for some readers."

Find my full review here from Library Journal:
DI Kate Simms is not a popular person on the force. She is given the unenviable job of working out why so many drug addicts are dying. She contacts Professor Nick Fennimore for help. He is still trying to come to terms with the disappearance of his wife and daughter five years ago.

This was a really well written novel and I hope it is going to be the first book in a series as the characters have a lot of potential.
Julia Ibbotson
I'm afraid that I found this book irritating and repetitive. It had been recommended to me and I so much wanted to enjoy it, but sadly, I had to scan read much of it to see if it improved later on. It didn't work for me at all. I found the main characters unappealing and the plot resolution long-winded. I failed to generate any interest in the investigation or the outcome. Sorry but no, I can't recommend this.
Mary Hauer
Interesting, flawed characters. Good mystery puzzle. Will look out for future ones by this author.
Claire
Scary, scary,oh my what a book. I could not put this book down, wanting to know what happens next and every surprising twist make this the most exciting book I've read this year, what a page turner and jelly turner this book made me, a fantastic book for people who like a bit of gore and suspense.
John William Boundy
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. After a slow start I found it hard to put down
Sandra Duncan
I enjoyed the story but the whole thing was spoiled for me by over-explicit descriptions of violence and bad language. I don't mind some but this book wallowed in them, completely detracting from the plot.
Rosie Allen
Good crime novel made different from the rest by the main characters' partnership. Easy to read but well written - good flow, twists, resolution. Will probably look for the author again.
Lorna
OK nothing to write home about.
Rob Walters
Not my usual thing, but a good mix of stuff from forensics and a crime story. Plenty of surprises and well written
Terry Norton
Skilfully put together a very clever and enjoyable crime novel
Jean
I loved the mystery and the forensics in the book
Judith Cranswick
A great read - learnt a lot about forensics!
  • Cold Courage (Studio, #1)
  • Eye For An Eye
  • The Book of Souls (Inspector McLean, #2)
  • Bad Moon Rising (Skinwalkers Trilogy, #1)
  • I Can See in the Dark
  • Changes (The Randall Lee Mysteries #1)
  • Riddle in Stone (The Riddle in Stone, #1)
  • Daughter of the Sword (Fated Blades, #1)
  • Sacrifice
  • Box Office Poison (Linnet Ellery, #2)
  • The Scarlet Thief
  • How Beauty Loved the Beast (Tales of the Underlight, #3)
  • Dead Line
  • Where the Devil Can't Go
  • Monster in My Closet (Monster Haven, #1)
  • Dead Gone
  • The Thirteenth Sacrifice
  • The Sacrificial Man
AD Garrett is the pseudonym for Margaret Murphy and Professor Dave Barclay’s writing collaboration.

Margaret Murphy has written nine psychological thrillers – both stand-alone and police series. Her work has been published in the UK and the USA, and in translation across Europe, receiving accolades from broadsheets and tabloid newspapers alike, as well as starred reviews from Publishers’ Weekly an
More about A.D. Garrett...

DCI Kate Simms & Professor Nick Fenimore (2 books)
Believe No One (DCI Kate Simms & Professor Nick Fennimore, #2)

“We can all see, but can you observe?” 2 likes