Start by marking “Doctor Dolittle's Post Office (Doctor Dolittle, #3)” as Want to Read:
Doctor Dolittle's Post Office (Doctor Dolittle, #3)

Doctor Dolittle's Post Office (Doctor Dolittle #3)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  375 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Doctor Dolittle establishes a swallow mail service for the animals when he discovers that they have their own way of writing.
Published September 1st 1988 by Yearling (first published 1923)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Dolittle's Post Office, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Dolittle's Post Office

Larry Piper
I'm sure I read this back in about 5th grade, which was pretty much back in the dark ages. I loved Doctor Doolittle before he got swallowed up by Hollywood. In the past couple of years, I've reread the first two of the Doctor Doolittle books. They were charming stories, albeit rather racist. Whatever, I decided to read the next one on the list despite the racism.

There's a lot to like about this book. On the other hand, it does meander and seems to lack focus. I'm not sure Lofting knew where he
Teresa Vogt
Gifted,

This review is from: Doctor Dolittle's Post Office (illustrated edition) (Kindle Edition)

as a great gift for someone..
Shawn Thrasher
This was one of my favorite in the series as a kid, but it hasn't held up as well. It's too meanderingly episodic, and Lofting's fantasy rules don't quite hold water all the time. Doctor Dolittle isn't racist, and according to what I read neither was Hugh Lofting. But he writes in a certain time period when it was considered okay to write about Africans in a derogatory way and that fact certaily rings true in Post Office. Certainly, if this were written today it would have a far different feel. ...more
Anna
This volume seemed rather haphazard. It didn't seem like Lofting had any idea of where this book would go beyond, "Hey, I'll have Dolittle make a post office in Africa." It wasn't even episodic like many children's books are. And I know this is a children's book, but the discontinuity of who can understand which languages bugged me. I'm not sure if I'll continue with the series or not.
Andrew Welsh-Huggins
Childhood nostalgia for this and all the other original Dr. Dolittle books has clouded some of the unfashionable portrayals of African residents that don't sit well a century later. The tales within the tale, however, are still pretty warm and timeless.
Tami
This book made me crazy- Dr. Dolittle's personality goes and goes! I am glad he was able to help so many people and animals. What a way to live your life. I love that the book is nothing like the movie, much better. Great Classic!
Katrina
This one is not as good as others in the series, it somehow misses the spot.
Wreade1872
A really imaginative, fun and weird story or set of stories, but the multiple stories all make sense in the larger narrative. Its just really quite good.
Tina Smith
This book seemed to drag more than the earlier books. It was good, but just far too long and drawn out.
Richard
This is probably my 2nd favorite of the Dolittle books. I adored it and have read it many times.
Justine Barnes
Justine Barnes marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Franzi
Franzi added it
Aug 26, 2015
Melina
Melina is currently reading it
Aug 22, 2015
Amy Gracer
Amy Gracer is currently reading it
Aug 19, 2015
Petra
Petra marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Samuel
Samuel marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Matthias Klepsch
Matthias Klepsch is currently reading it
Aug 05, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Noelle Leader
Noelle Leader marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Shelley
Shelley marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Michal Robaszynski
Michal Robaszynski marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
  • The Ship That Flew
  • Winter Holiday (Swallows and Amazons, #4)
  • A Room Made of Windows
  • An Army of Frogs: A Kulipari Novel
  • The Middle Moffat (The Moffats, #2)
  • The Adventures of Sammy Jay
  • Sposób na Alcybiadesa
  • Miss Bianca in the Orient (The Rescuers, #5)
  • The English Doctor's Baby (Westerling, #3)
  • Nnewts: Escape from the Lizzarks
  • Fauna and Family
  • No Kiss For Mother
  • Fable Comics
  • Father Christmas Goes on Holiday
  • One Monster After Another
  • The Adventures of Buster Bear (Dover Children's Thrift Classics)
Hugh Lofting was a British author, trained as a civil engineer, who created the character of Doctor Dolittle — one of the classics of children's literature.

Lofting was born in Maidenhead, England, to English and Irish parents. His early education was at Mount St Mary's College in Sheffield, after which he went to the United States, completing a degree in civil engineering at the Massachusetts Inst
More about Hugh Lofting...

Doctor Dolittle (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Story of Doctor Dolittle (Doctor Dolittle, #1)
  • The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle (Doctor Dolittle, #2)
  • Doctor Dolittle's Circus (Doctor Dolittle, #4)
  • Doctor Dolittle's Zoo (Doctor Dolittle, #5)
  • Doctor Dolittle's Caravan (Doctor Dolittle, #6)
  • Doctor Dolittle's Garden (Doctor Dolittle, #7)
  • Doctor Dolittle in the Moon (Doctor Dolittle, #8)
  • Doctor Dolittle's Return (Doctor Dolittle, #9)
  • Doctor Dolittle and the Secret Lake (Doctor Dolittle, #10)
  • Doctor Dolittle and the Green Canary (Doctor Dolittle, #11)
The Story of Doctor Dolittle (Doctor Dolittle, #1) The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle (Doctor Dolittle, #2) Doctor Dolittle's Circus (Doctor Dolittle, #4) Doctor Dolittle Doctor Dolittle's Zoo (Doctor Dolittle, #5)