Start by marking “Doctor Dolittle's Post Office (Doctor Dolittle, #3)” as Want to Read:
Doctor Dolittle's Post Office (Doctor Dolittle, #3)

Doctor Dolittle's Post Office (Doctor Dolittle #3)

Doctor Dolittle establishes a swallow mail service for the animals when he discovers that they have their own way of writing.
Published September 1st 1988 by Yearling (first published 1923)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Dolittle's Post Office, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Dolittle's Post Office

Ahmad Sharabiani
Doctor Dolittle's Post Office (Doctor Dolittle, #3), Hugh Lofting
عنوان: داستانهای دکتر دولیتل اداره پست جلد 5 از 12؛ نویسنده: هیو لافتینگ؛ مترجم: محمد قصاع؛ تهران، محراب قلم، 1385؛ در 326 ص، مصور؛ شابک: 9789643236222؛ شماره گذاری کتاب در گودریدز 3 است؛ موضوع: داستانهای مصور کودکان از نویسندگان انگلیس قرن 20 م
Mike Cliffe
Jun 27, 2017 Mike Cliffe rated it really liked it
I really wish I had known there were more of these when i was a child. I loved the first one so much. I feel I lose a little of the magic reading these as an adult since they are children stories, but overall they are still enjoyable and I'll want to eventually read the others too. If you like Doctor Dolittle, I recommend this.
Shawn Thrasher
Sep 17, 2011 Shawn Thrasher rated it liked it
This was one of my favorite in the series as a kid, but it hasn't held up as well. It's too meanderingly episodic, and Lofting's fantasy rules don't quite hold water all the time. Doctor Dolittle isn't racist, and according to what I read neither was Hugh Lofting. But he writes in a certain time period when it was considered okay to write about Africans in a derogatory way and that fact certaily rings true in Post Office. Certainly, if this were written today it would have a far different feel. ...more
Teresa Vogt
Feb 22, 2015 Teresa Vogt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gift-for-a-tween
Gifted,

This review is from: Doctor Dolittle's Post Office (illustrated edition) (Kindle Edition)

as a great gift for someone..
Anna
This book starts out with a story about a slave ship and goes on to have many observations that are highly prejudiced and Eurocentric.
I don't think Hugh Lofting meant to be racist, but this book was written in a different era and it really shows.
I read this with my 1st grader and had many discussions along the way.
I would not recommend that today's children read it without a lot of discussion and thought about it.
Larry Piper
Jun 25, 2014 Larry Piper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm sure I read this back in about 5th grade, which was pretty much back in the dark ages. I loved Doctor Doolittle before he got swallowed up by Hollywood. In the past couple of years, I've reread the first two of the Doctor Doolittle books. They were charming stories, albeit rather racist. Whatever, I decided to read the next one on the list despite the racism.

There's a lot to like about this book. On the other hand, it does meander and seems to lack focus. I'm not sure Lofting knew where he
Patrick Gibson
Oct 21, 2014 Patrick Gibson rated it it was amazing
This is a spectacular book not just a children's literature book. Hugh Lofting is lovely with the language and makes his own illustrations to match the stories. Even though the portrayal of Africans will appear and may represent his feelings of White Anglo superiority, this should not prevent people from really enjoying his writing prowess. "Then King Koko again begged him {Dr John Doolittle} to take charge of the post office and try to get it running in proper order." Fabulous !!
Anna
This volume seemed rather haphazard. It didn't seem like Lofting had any idea of where this book would go beyond, "Hey, I'll have Dolittle make a post office in Africa." It wasn't even episodic like many children's books are. And I know this is a children's book, but the discontinuity of who can understand which languages bugged me. I'm not sure if I'll continue with the series or not.
Tami
Oct 06, 2009 Tami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book made me crazy- Dr. Dolittle's personality goes and goes! I am glad he was able to help so many people and animals. What a way to live your life. I love that the book is nothing like the movie, much better. Great Classic!
Andrew Welsh-Huggins
Feb 06, 2012 Andrew Welsh-Huggins rated it really liked it
Childhood nostalgia for this and all the other original Dr. Dolittle books has clouded some of the unfashionable portrayals of African residents that don't sit well a century later. The tales within the tale, however, are still pretty warm and timeless.
Tina Smith
This book seemed to drag more than the earlier books. It was good, but just far too long and drawn out.
Devi
Dec 27, 2016 Devi rated it liked it
Politically correct this book is not but if you can ignore that the story is a fun read.
sai
Mar 06, 2016 sai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Judah

I love this book.It is a creative book with great and amazing ideas. The best book I've read will be this one.
Wreade1872
A really imaginative, fun and weird story or set of stories, but the multiple stories all make sense in the larger narrative. Its just really quite good.
Katrina
Jan 20, 2015 Katrina rated it it was ok
This one is not as good as others in the series, it somehow misses the spot.
Jacob
Jacob rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2013
S.E. Smith
S.E. Smith rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2008
Jan
Jan rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2008
Ysa
Ysa rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2014
Natalia
Natalia rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2012
Karin
Karin rated it it was ok
Apr 29, 2014
Zanne Baker
Zanne Baker rated it it was ok
Oct 09, 2015
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2011
Justin
Justin rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2011
Lynne
Lynne rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2013
Ariane
Ariane rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2010
Teresa Kander
Teresa Kander rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2014
York
York rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2012
Heidi
Heidi rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2015
David
David rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2012
  • The Ship That Flew
  • Peter Duck: A Treasure Hunt in the Caribbees (Swallows and Amazons, #3)
  • The Doctor Takes a Princess (Harlequin Special Edition)
  • A Room Made of Windows
  • A Daughter for Christmas
  • The Adventures of Sammy Jay
  • Sposób na Alcybiadesa
  • Záhada hlavolamu (Stínadelská trilogie, #1)
  • The Well-Wishers (Tales of Magic, #6)
  • Dorrie and the Wizard's Spell (Dorrie the Little Witch, #6)
  • Mail-Order Marriages: Rocky Mountain Wedding\Married in Missouri\Her Alaskan Groom (Alaska, #3)
  • Haunted House
  • No Kiss For Mother
  • NYC Angels: The Wallflower's Secret
  • Miss Bianca in the Orient (The Rescuers, #5)
  • Father Christmas Goes on Holiday
  • Katie John
Hugh Lofting was a British author, trained as a civil engineer, who created the character of Doctor Dolittle — one of the classics of children's literature.

Lofting was born in Maidenhead, England, to English and Irish parents. His early education was at Mount St Mary's College in Sheffield, after which he went to the United States, completing a degree in civil engineering at the Massachusetts Inst
More about Hugh Lofting...

Doctor Dolittle (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Story of Doctor Dolittle (Doctor Dolittle, #1)
  • The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle (Doctor Dolittle, #2)
  • Doctor Dolittle's Circus (Doctor Dolittle, #4)
  • Doctor Dolittle's Zoo (Doctor Dolittle, #5)
  • Doctor Dolittle's Caravan (Doctor Dolittle, #6)
  • Doctor Dolittle's Garden (Doctor Dolittle, #7)
  • Doctor Dolittle in the Moon (Doctor Dolittle, #8)
  • Doctor Dolittle's Return (Doctor Dolittle, #9)
  • Doctor Dolittle and the Secret Lake (Doctor Dolittle, #10)
  • Doctor Dolittle and the Green Canary (Doctor Dolittle, #11)