Start by marking “Befriend and Betray: Infiltrating the Hells Angels, Bandidos and Other Criminal Brotherhoods (Befriend and Betray, #1)” as Want to Read:

Befriend and Betray: Infiltrating the Hells Angels, Bandidos and Other Criminal Brotherhoods (Befriend and Betray #1)

The Hells Angels. The Bandidos. Asian triads. Russian mobsters and corrupt cops. Even the KKK. Just part of a day’s work for Alex Caine, an undercover agent who has seen it all.

Alex Caine started life as a working-class boy from Quebec who always thought he’d end up in a blue-collar job. But after a tour in Vietnam and a stretch in prison on marijuana-possession charges, h
Published April 8th 2008 by Random House Canada (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Befriend and Betray, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Befriend and Betray

Sunnie
Dec 03, 2008 Sunnie rated it liked it
Aaah, America. Land of the free, home of the.....free-market economy? Who knew that there are people out there who earn their livings by hiring themselves out to law enforcement agencies, to gather intelligence by infiltrating gangs and organisations? We’re not talking about under cover cops here. These are civilians.

One such civilian is Alex Caine. Caine few up in Canada and had a tumultuous childhood, frequently skating around the fringes of the law. In the late 1960s, looking for something mo
Toni Osborne
May 10, 2010 Toni Osborne rated it it was amazing
This is the true story of a civilian Alex Caine who under contract to various law enforcement agencies infiltrated gangs and organizations to gather intelligence. In his own words, Mr Caine paints a portrait of a lifestyle rarely seen.

He grew up in Hull, Quebec, Canada and often lived on the fringes of the law. After serving a stretch in prison on marijuana possession charges in the 60’s, Alex was still unsettled and looking for adventure. His combative nature and USA’s involvement in Vietnam a
Kalley
Sep 15, 2009 Kalley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spyographies
As an infiltrator (or as Sonny Barger, founder of the Oakland Hell's Angels, would have put it, an "infil-traitor"), Alex Caine got to know motorcycle club members very well. Almost too well when he was working with the Bandidos. It's an interesting story that follows him from his humble and troubled beginning to understanding of not only the motorcycle gangs he made himself fit into while working for multiple federal agencies, but also the agencies themselves. He had to figure out how to juggle ...more
Bob
Apr 11, 2009 Bob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
After serving in the notorious Operation Phoenix in Vietnam, Canadian born Alex Caine worked for twenty five years as a contracted undercover agent for various American and Canadian law enforcement agencies. He infiltrated several notoriously murderous biker gangs, the KKK and the Asian Tongs. His work, while not always successful and often frustrating, resulted in many arrests and convictions. But aside from his adventures and often frightening scrapes with being uncovered, there emerges a port ...more
Matthew
Mar 25, 2009 Matthew rated it liked it
Shelves: true-crime
A pretty solid auto-biography written by a man who spent 30+ years infiltrating groups like the Hells Angels, the KKK, the Bandidos, and other criminal groups. It's a rare look at the reality of these groups. Most interesting parts to me are when Caine explores the difficulty of admiring many of these criminals, only to be secretly working with a government agency to take them down. Hard to know how true any of this is, but Caine tells a gripping story that any fan of true crime will really enjo ...more
Byron Wright
Sep 11, 2013 Byron Wright rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The author describes all of his activities in a fast paced way that provides enough detail to be interesting, but not so much that you get bogged down in it.

I've never read a book quite like this one. It offers what appears to be a realistic description of life inside motorcycle gangs. It turns out they are violent and criminal. Not a surprise I suppose, but it gets driven home again and again and again.
Heather
Dec 27, 2008 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I felt like too much was crammed into a short book; he was just scratching past the surface of what life was like in one mission before leaping to the next. Each chapter could easily have been expanded to a book itself to really get the feel of what it all must have been like - I think the real stories are those that were not told here. Still fascinating, though.
Cate
Sep 09, 2011 Cate rated it liked it
Good book. Interesting read. I question whether doing covert work as an agent for various law enforcement agencies wasn't a wayto live on the criminal fringes without actually being a criminal. What is notable is the ability Caine had or developed to walk away from pets, wives, kids & family in taking a new assignment - which he thrived upon for the better part of 25 years.
Mitch S
Aug 02, 2013 Mitch S rated it it was amazing
Ever wanted to infiltrate the most prominent gangs in the world? Well now you can, vicariously through Alex Caine. This book is the shizznat if your into crime and gang culture. He gets in good with the Triads, Russian mafia, KKK, Bandidos, Hells angels and prison gangs. Great read I would heartily recommend.
Teena in Toronto
Jul 05, 2012 Teena in Toronto rated it really liked it
Shelves: canadian
Excellent book!

I enjoy bios and this one sounded interesting, especially since he was Canadian.

The writing style was fast-paced and the stories riveting. There was even an experience here in Toronto.
Betty Mars
Oct 08, 2010 Betty Mars rated it really liked it
I give it four stars not because it's some amazing piece of literature, but because it's a fun, fascinating story written by an intelligent and interesting individual. Is it high brow lit? Hell no. But it's still a worthwhile read. I couldn't put it down! I want to BE Alex Caine.
Ken
Aug 09, 2011 Ken rated it really liked it
This was a very interesting book of a Alex Caine's infiltration of mostly white criminal motorcycle gangs. I read the first half very quickly, but after the Banditos motorcycle gang investigation wrapped up his later infiltrations were not quite as interesting.
Sam
May 14, 2009 Sam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was an interesting read to see how undercover operatives go. Also interesting to see law enforcement officers using paid infiltrators and the different attitudes towards said infiltrators.

Only gripe is the book seems rushed towards the end.
Feb 26, 2010 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-story, crime
Interesting read. At times what you see in the movies or on tv is like this book. An eye opener. Easy to read and easy to follow. The guy had a good writing style that made this enjoyable to read.

I just picked this book up on a whim..Glad I did.
Chris
Sep 12, 2013 Chris rated it liked it
Has some interesting stories in it but I couldn't help but feel it was a personal reflection for the sake of trying to justify a lot of regret over many years for the author. Just my opinion though.
Clint
May 09, 2014 Clint rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Started off slow but picked up about halfway thru. It kept my attention , I would recommend this book. out!
Amy
Mar 10, 2009 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. It's interesting as well as disheartening to know that this subculture is all around us.
Seligne
Mar 10, 2009 Seligne rated it liked it
I have my doubts about the truth of some of this. The section on the military and Vietnam contained some vague and incorrect info. But an exciting read.
Kara Walsh
Jul 27, 2008 Kara Walsh rated it really liked it
This is a great read with lots of variety of adventures of infiltrating different gangs, great if you like the to read about biker gangs! The sociologist in me was more intrigued with each page!
Rosemary
Dec 01, 2008 Rosemary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third book I have read about an undercover infiltrating the motorcycle gang underworld. A good read, but my least favorite of the three.
J
J rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2012
Nate
Nate rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2014
Mark Godley
Mark Godley rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2009
Rolando
Rolando rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2013
Pieter
Pieter rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2016
William Barron
William Barron rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2013
Sven
Sven rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Stewart Harbinson
Stewart Harbinson rated it liked it
May 26, 2016
Brad Beattie
Brad Beattie rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2015
Tracy
Tracy rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Angels of Death: Inside the Biker Gangs' Crime Empire
  • Running with the Devil: The True Story of the ATF's Infiltration of the Hells Angels
  • A Wayward Angel: The Full Story of the Hells Angels
  • Inside the Crips: Life Inside L.A.'s Most Notorious Gang
  • Under and Alone: The True Story of the Undercover Agent Who Infiltrated America's Most Violent Outlaw Motorcycle Gang
  • Do or Die
  • Hell's Angel: The Life and Times of Sonny Barger and the Hell's Angels Motorcycle Club
  • No Angel: My Harrowing Undercover Journey to the Inner Circle of the Hells Angels
  • Prodigal Father, Pagan Son: Growing Up Inside the Dangerous World of the Pagans Motorcycle Club
  • Escobar: The Inside Story Of Pablo Escobar, The World's Most Powerful Crimina
  • The Westies: Inside New York's Irish Mob
  • Hell's Angels: Into the Abyss
  • 8 Ball Chicks
  • When Corruption Was King: How I Helped the Mob Rule Chicago, Then Brought the Outfit Down
  • Covert: My Years Infiltrating the Mob
  • Destiny's Rift (Broken Well, #2)
  • This is Gonna Hurt
  • Hockey for Dummies

Befriend and Betray (3 books)
  • The Fat Mexican: The Bloody Rise of the Bandidos Motorcycle Club (Befriend and Betray, #2)
  • Angel Dust: From Hells Angels to Businessmen Bikers (Befriend and Betray, #3)